7d or wait?

Started Dec 30, 2012 | Discussions
rjjr Forum Pro • Posts: 14,546
I'm waiting.
James R. McMillan
James R. McMillan Contributing Member • Posts: 523
Re: 7d or wait?

I'm afraid that you've asked a question that has two distinctive camps.  I would evaluate what both camps have to say and then make a decision based on what works for you.  Will a successor for the 7D be released? Yes but who knows when, could be February or could be six months from now.  Will the successor cost more than the  current 7D? That is most likely a definite yes.  Will the additional cost make it worth it over what current 7D costs? That will depend on the features and the individual that will be buying it. Good luck with your decision, the fact that Canon hasn't announced a 7D successor, makes it even more interesting.

-- hide signature --

KOENIG

James R. McMillan's gear list:James R. McMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +2 more
riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 6,867

Etherguy wrote:

The wife picked me up a 7d for christmas (guess I have been a good elf). Trying to decide if I should keep it or see whats coming in Feb. I am currently shooting with a 30d and have some decent glass.

Are there any major shortcomings of the 7d? I remember reading of focus issues a year or so ago but not sure if they were fixed in firmware.

So any suggestions or recommendations?

I'm one of the few naysayers that dares to respond with negativity. If the 7D was as perfect as some may have you believe, Canon would have a difficult time developing and producing a successor, which is likely why they haven't as yet announced its replacement. (LOL).

IMO, it still has focus issues under some situations.  Your mileage will vary depending upon how you use the camera. For most users that shoot moving targets where the AI-Servo AF is fast enough, it's very acceptable with a high keeper to discard ratio. In comparison to previous semi-pro/enthusiast models, it's significantly better. In comparison to your 30D, its like night and day. You'll want to kick the 30D into the closet, never to see light on it's sensor ever again. The 7D has short comings if you want accurate AI-Servo AF for rapid, directly approaching targets that challenge the AF sensor to detect such movement in a timely manner. Yes, technique does improve your chances in some situations but its far from perfect.

Secondly, the 7D image sensor is 2009 (or earlier) technology. It lacks present day, high ISO capabilities along with color depth that Canon's new fullframe model's better deliver. My expectation is that the 7D successor will show improvements in this area.

There will be other improvements and bells and whistles which once announced, may leave you feeling some remorse, should you keep the 7D.  Either way, you will have a vast improvement over your 30D and will enjoy either one. Once the replacement has been officially announced, it should be a lot easier for you to decide. Meanwhile, if you value your time more than wasting it deliberating on waiting or not, crack open the box and start shooting with the 7D. I think you'll be very pleased and maybe have a twinge of regret that you hadn't updated sooner.

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x HTC One
James R. McMillan
James R. McMillan Contributing Member • Posts: 523

riknash wrote:

Etherguy wrote:

The wife picked me up a 7d for christmas (guess I have been a good elf). Trying to decide if I should keep it or see whats coming in Feb. I am currently shooting with a 30d and have some decent glass.

Are there any major shortcomings of the 7d? I remember reading of focus issues a year or so ago but not sure if they were fixed in firmware.

I'm one of the few naysayers that dares to respond with negativity. If the 7D was as perfect as some may have you believe, Canon would have a difficult time developing and producing a successor, which is likely why they haven't as yet announced its replacement. (LOL).

IMO, it still has focus issues under some situations. Your mileage will vary depending upon how you use the camera. For most users that shoot moving targets where the AI-Servo AF is fast enough, it's very acceptable with a high keeper to discard ratio. In comparison to previous semi-pro/enthusiast models, it's significantly better. In comparison to your 30D, its like night and day. You'll want to kick the 30D into the closet, never to see light on it's sensor ever again. The 7D has short comings if you want accurate AI-Servo AF for rapid, directly approaching targets that challenge the AF sensor to detect such movement in a timely manner. Yes, technique does improve your chances in some situations but its far from perfect.

Secondly, the 7D image sensor is 2009 (or earlier) technology. It lacks present day, high ISO capabilities along with color depth that Canon's new fullframe model's better deliver. My expectation is that the 7D successor will show improvements in this area.

There will be other improvements and bells and whistles which once announced, may leave you feeling some remorse, should you keep the 7D. Either way, you will have a vast improvement over your 30D and will enjoy either one. Once the replacement has been officially announced, it should be a lot easier for you to decide. Meanwhile, if you value your time more than wasting it deliberating on waiting or not, crack open the box and start shooting with the 7D. I think you'll be very pleased and maybe have a twinge of regret that you hadn't updated sooner.

I like the way you put that.

-- hide signature --

KOENIG

James R. McMillan's gear list:James R. McMillan's gear list
Canon EOS 10D Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +2 more
elfroggio
MOD elfroggio Senior Member • Posts: 2,917

riknash wrote:

I'm not changing the subject, but...

Canon released the 5DMk3 in the spring, then the 6D in the mid-fall. Everybody that bought the 6D as a backup for the 5DMk3 says that the sensor of the 6D is even better than the 5DMk3 which is already excellent.

Technology in CMOS and CPUs changes that fast.

-- hide signature --

Thanks
http://www.foto-biz.com
The Business of Being a Photographer -- Lightroom Q&A

NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,884
Re: 7d or wait?: Will your wife be disappointed or offended if you return it?

That's a BIG, BIG reason to keep it. The other reason may be that any vaporware, er, 7D2 replacement, will be more expensive than the current camera - will you have saved enough for the upgrade, ie, is it in the family budget? A third option might be to pick up one of the Rebels or the 60D body, and put the rest of the money toward glass or a future camera savings plan.

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
NancyP Veteran Member • Posts: 5,884
Re: Wait

nice images there!

NancyP's gear list:NancyP's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill
AC1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,171

Etherguy wrote:

7D is great but takes a while to learn to drive it. If I was in your position, knowing what I know about my 7D, if someone bought me one for Xmas I'd be very tempted to return it either for a refund or credit note in the hope the 7D II (or whatever it's called) will arrive soon and be a tangible improvement. The things I would hope are improved would be mainly around overall DR, low-light performance (inc. achieving focus lock) and high-ISO noise.

Of course coming from a 30D the current 7D will seem awesome but compared to other current bodies the 7D is now due for an upgrade. You've lasted this long with thge 30D and so for sake of a bit more wait you can either buy a 7D II if it is a tangible improvement or if its not, pick up a good condition used 7D I for a bargain price!

AC1's gear list:AC1's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +2 more
Maleza New Member • Posts: 24

Wait!

Maleza's gear list:Maleza's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM +2 more
digitalcuriosity Senior Member • Posts: 1,169

Maleza wrote:

Wait!

Wait..Wait..I think the real question should be do you really feel the replacement to the Canon 7D will make you a better picture taker? And just how long does one wait to start taking these pictures? Truth is just like myself we mostly don't use what we now have very well, do I think a new 7D will make me take better pictures? Oh well just drag the 7D back and sit and wait...wait...wait...

timmer350 Contributing Member • Posts: 749
Re: wait - i have the same 30D

Jason D wrote:

I have the same 30D. I would wait because I am expecting the MarkII to have a new sensor with better technology, specially in low light performance. Sure, it will be more expensive than the current one, but I don't change my camera often. My 30D is 6 year old now. The price different is not that significant for me. I will regret if I buy a 7D now and a much better one comes out in 2 months.

I feel the same way - I have the cash, my 50D is ~4 years old (or will be by the time the new model hits the stores), but I am willing to wait and pay for the best possible/newest model - and then keep it a long time.

I also plan to wait a few months for the production wrinkles to be ironed out and maybe the price to drop a little.

T

timmer350's gear list:timmer350's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Apple iPhone 7 Plus
MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,278

Etherguy wrote:

I've read this entire thread and finally decided that I would throw in my thoughts.  I come down on the other side.  Keep the 7D.

1)  It was a gift from your wife for goodness sakes.  Appreciate it and appreciate her for giving it.
2)  Since Canon put so much effort into the V2 firmware upgrade, that tells me they intend it to last a while and don't plan an upgrade for Feb.  I would think Sept at the very earliest and perhaps not even then.

It is a great camera and you are not growing any younger.  Keep it and enjoy it now. 

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
Fish Chris
Fish Chris Veteran Member • Posts: 4,987

The whole time I was reading this thread, I kept thinking.... Wait... Wait.... Wait....

{my reasoning being, the new 7D replacement will be out soon, and if its better, in some certain aspects, you will wish you had it instead, and then, if it is not any better, a new 7D will drop in price, as they try to get rid of the last of them}

But then Dale's post kind of woke me up......

If my wife bought me any kind of sweet camera equipment, I had better LOVE it, and LOVE her for for buying it for me..... or else I might have bigger problems than camera equipment   LOL

So, if you had bought it yourself, I'd say, return it and wait.

Since your wife bought, keep it, and be happy

Fish

Fish Chris's gear list:Fish Chris's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,860
Elvis is coming back too

You actually have one of the greatest DSLRs ever made and you are not using it????!!!

Are you nuts?!

Wei Kelun
Wei Kelun Contributing Member • Posts: 524
Re: Elvis is coming back too

Ubilam wrote:

You actually have one of the greatest DSLRs ever made and you are not using it????!!!

Are you nuts?!

I agree with the "don't wait" crowd, and I have two very concrete and practical bits of advice for the original poster:

1. Don't wait. The 7D is a stunning piece of work and it will be a joy to hold in your hands. Go out there are start using it right away.

2. When/if a successor is announced, immediately quit posting on gear forums for at least five years. Part of the problem of a gear forum is that it will make you want the newest and the best, sadly, that's just how these things work. Once you've found a camera that feels good in your hand and gives you good performance, spend the next five years practicing composition and technique. It will be a great investment in you as a photographer. The problem with concentrating too much on gear is that there's always going to be an endless cycle of updates and refinements, all of which will be sexy and compelling, but very few of which will actually impact your ability to get that great shot.

So enjoy your 7D and start taking pictures!

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,860

Wei Kelun wrote:

Ubilam wrote:

Are you nuts?!

I agree with the "don't wait" crowd, and I have two very concrete and practical bits of advice for the original poster:

1. Don't wait. The 7D is a stunning piece of work and it will be a joy to hold in your hands. Go out there are start using it right away.

2. When/if a successor is announced, immediately quit posting on gear forums for at least five years. Part of the problem of a gear forum is that it will make you want the newest and the best, sadly, that's just how these things work. Once you've found a camera that feels good in your hand and gives you good performance, spend the next five years practicing composition and technique. It will be a great investment in you as a photographer. The problem with concentrating too much on gear is that there's always going to be an endless cycle of updates and refinements, all of which will be sexy and compelling, but very few of which will actually impact your ability to get that great shot.

So enjoy your 7D and start taking pictures!

Well said, Wei. Waiting to invest in the next best thing is not like before with these cams.

Ubi.

TonyK_in_Texas Veteran Member • Posts: 3,680

Well I moved from a 20D to the 7D on Sunday (6 Jan 2013).  My wife purchased the kit from CostCo for my benefit and I have to say I love her for that.

The fact I kept the 20D for 8+ years and was not tempted before this to upgrade says the 7D will be in my hands about as long.

There are definite pluses for having the 7D such as sensor cleaning and 19 AF points.  I am starting to shoot birds at our feeders so speed of focus is important.  Coming from the 20D the image quality will be improved as will low light performance.

My vote is to keep the 7D and enjoy it.

Take care,

-- hide signature --

TonyK

OP Etherguy Regular Member • Posts: 212

So I went ahead and decided to keep the camera.  Love the features it has!!  Although I seem to be having an issue with focusing with his camera.  I have my 24-70 L on the body right now and I have not taken a focused shot yet.  I have verified that my focus point is the subject I want in focus however it is blurry as all hell.

Guess I will have to try some tripod shots to make sure its the photographer and not the camera.  I have been shooting for about 7 years.... so I am hoping its not me

-- hide signature --

|=~ Etherguy ~=|

MOD Dale Buhanan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,278

Etherguy wrote:

So I went ahead and decided to keep the camera. Love the features it has!! Although I seem to be having an issue with focusing with his camera. I have my 24-70 L on the body right now and I have not taken a focused shot yet. I have verified that my focus point is the subject I want in focus however it is blurry as all hell.

Guess I will have to try some tripod shots to make sure its the photographer and not the camera. I have been shooting for about 7 years.... so I am hoping its not me

Hmmmm... That doesn't sound very good.  Try a few shots using live view and see if they are in focus.  Live view uses contrast detect focusing, and while slow is very accurate.  Live view will give you the best the lens and camera are capable of.  If they still look OOF, then something is really wrong.

But, if they look good, all you need to do is adjust your MFA setting until the live view and view finder PDF give the same results.  Then you should be OK.  I've done that with all my lenses.

-- hide signature --

kind regards
Dale

Dale Buhanan's gear list:Dale Buhanan's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II Canon EOS 70D Canon PowerShot SD500 Canon PowerShot G5 +35 more
OP Etherguy Regular Member • Posts: 212
Oh No

Okay... I did a test shot.. picture of a battery... same focal/iso/shutter on both shots... Same exact lens.  Camera bodes were the 7d and my trusty 30d...

30d shot was crisp and spot on.  7d was extremely soft and no clear spot was in any better focus.

I will post pics in a few....

-- hide signature --

|=~ Etherguy ~=|

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads