Best selling mirrorless cameras in Japan for 2012

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions
MichaelKJ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466
Best selling mirrorless cameras in Japan for 2012

BCN has published aggregated unit sales data for 2012 (through Dec 24).

Olympus 28.8%, Panasonic 21.4%, Sony 18.4%, Nikon 13.3%, Pentax 7.1%, Canon 2.1%

The top 20 cameras accounted for 91.1% of total mirrorless sales. Thus, the numbers above do not include each company's share of the remaining 8.9% of sales.

http://bcnranking.jp/news/1212/121228_24511.html

MichaelKJ's gear list:MichaelKJ's gear list
Sony RX100 III Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
Aleo Veuliah
MOD Aleo Veuliah Forum Pro • Posts: 14,634
Re: Best selling mirrorless cameras in Japan for 2012

MichaelKJ wrote:

Olympus 28.8%, Panasonic 21.4%, Sony 18.4%, Nikon 13.3%, Pentax 7.1%, Canon 2.1%

The top 20 cameras accounted for 91.1% of total mirrorless sales. Thus, the numbers above do not include each company's share of the remaining 8.9% of sales.

Thank you for this information.

It is impressive the results, the word Nikon after all work for many minds (I am talking only about the first place with the Nikon 1), I think the Canon users also will buy a lot the Canon M.

But this "reality" here, does not matter much for us Micro 4/3 users, because we know well the value of this system both camera and lenses, make Micro 4/3 the best choice for mirrorless. But that is another story. The sales is a different one.

-- hide signature --

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication.
God is the tangential point between zero and infinity.
Imagination is more important than knowledge.
God always take the simplest way.
* http://aleophoto.hostei.com/

Aleo Veuliah's gear list:Aleo Veuliah's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +4 more
zxaar Veteran Member • Posts: 4,055
Pentax Q

Loved the fact that pentax Q ranked above OMD.

-- hide signature --

::> Knowledge is mother of efficiency.

illy
illy Forum Pro • Posts: 12,160
Re: Pentax Q

zxaar wrote:

Loved the fact that pentax Q ranked above OMD.

-- hide signature --

::> Knowledge is mother of efficiency.

you're not supposed to say that

-- hide signature --

The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.

illy's gear list:illy's gear list
Nikon D200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR +4 more
Thorgrem Contributing Member • Posts: 523

Thanks for sharing. That the Nikon J1 is on top is no surprise to me. In my country Nikon is advertising heavily for the Nikon 1 series. I don't know there marketing budget but compared tot Olympus and the camera division of Panasonic is must be huge. It's also heavily discounted as well to make good the slow start.

But still more than 50% marketshare for m4/3 is a very good market position for m4/3. Who had thought that back in 2009? And all the major players are playing the mirror-less game now.

Thorgrem's gear list:Thorgrem's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Apple iPhone 6
YouDidntDidYou
YouDidntDidYou Senior Member • Posts: 1,576

Thorgrem wrote:

Thanks for sharing. That the Nikon J1 is on top is no surprise to me. In my country Nikon is advertising heavily for the Nikon 1 series. I don't know there marketing budget but compared tot Olympus and the camera division of Panasonic is must be huge. It's also heavily discounted as well to make good the slow start.

But still more than 50% marketshare for m4/3 is a very good market position for m4/3. Who had thought that back in 2009? And all the major players are playing the mirror-less game now.

The advertising for Nikon 1 will be very costly plus along with Sony I don't see them selling a heap of lenses and accessories...BTw  yes I thought micro four thirds would obtain and hold 50% market share even back in 50% the only threat was Sony next and they stumbled over lenses (size and range),pricing etc, back in 2009 I thought that canikon would never be effective in mirrorless....

-- hide signature --

living life to the Four Thirds!
http://www.YouDidntDidYou.com/blog

OP MichaelKJ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466

Thorgrem wrote:

I agree that Nikon's name and advertising are largely responsible for the J1's top position.  The best selling models have all been heavily discounted, so that explanation isn't unique to Nikon.

Since all of the mirrorless models made by Nikon, Pentax and Canon are in the top 20, I think most of the remaining 8.9% of the cameras sold were m4/3. Thus, m4/3 captured 55%-59% of the mirrorless market in Japan.

thorkilry
thorkilry Contributing Member • Posts: 874

If one imagines that the m4 / 3,has 50% +, -. of the remaining 8.9%
The real market share would be about 54% -56%

thorkilry's gear list:thorkilry's gear list
Olympus C-765 UZ Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
thorkilry

You may be right.

Olympus C-765 UZ Olympus E-510 Olympus E-620 Olympus PEN E-PL1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +2 more
LincolnB Veteran Member • Posts: 4,303
Micro Four thirds better than 50% of sales

When I add all the Micro Four thirds models together from that list I get 50.2% of total sales.

Sony NEX series at 18.4%

Nikon 1 series at 13.3%

LincolnB's gear list:LincolnB's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Fujifilm X-E1 Sony Alpha 7 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +7 more
thorkilry
Re: Micro Four thirds better than 50% of sales

LincolnB wrote:

When I add all the Micro Four thirds models together from that list I get 50.2% of total sales.

Sony NEX series at 18.4%

Nikon 1 series at 13.3%

+ some of the remaining 8.9%

Everdog Veteran Member • Posts: 4,837
Please think before you post.

The Q was available all year while the OMD was not.

The Q cost about 1/3rd which means it should sell more.  A pefect example is Canon Rebels outsell Canon FF cameras 20:1 (even Sony SLTs outsell Canon FF cameras!).  My bet is an average P&S outsells the best Rebel by 20:1 too.

Please think before you post.

micronean Regular Member • Posts: 306
Re: Please think before you post.

I'm surprised with the relatively poor sales of the Canon M. Here in Japan, it was heavily advertised. There were ads all over the trains and buses--and even had celebrities endorse it.

The sales of the Nikon do not surprise me. Nikon has the largest display booth in all the camera shops, and it's always in front of the main doors. You practically have to get past the Nikon booth in order to access the rest of the cameras (BTW, Olympus is always at the back, along with Fuji and Leica). And, of course, the name Nikon is a sure bet that you're getting a good camera.

The pentax Q also does not surprise me. In the land where small and cute is king, the Q10 is smaller and cuter than Olympus' offerings.

micronean's gear list:micronean's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ +2 more
DonParrot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,891

Amazing: the E-M5 is far more expensive than any other camera on the list and made it to the top 12, nevertheless. This really underlines its outstanding popularity.

And I think it's just as amazing that the disastrous EOS-M and the E-PL5 that both weren't available before October, made it to the top 20 at all. I really don't know how to assess these figures.

-- hide signature --

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4688736761_6fd06ae5c8_o.jpg
Why not - if there's enough space on the sofa...
I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
dennis tennis Veteran Member • Posts: 3,726

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

MichaelKJ wrote:

It is impressive the results, the word Nikon after all work for many minds (I am talking only about the first place with the Nikon 1), I think the Canon users also will buy a lot the Canon M.

But this "reality" here, does not matter much for us Micro 4/3 users, because we know well the value of this system both camera and lenses, make Micro 4/3 the best choice for mirrorless. But that is another story. The sales is a different one.

-- hide signature --

How insecure does one need to be that one must feel the need to state that one's camera system purchase is not only good for oneself but that the chosen system is the best choice for all?

Does one need to state that one's choice of underwear is the best choice?

OP MichaelKJ Veteran Member • Posts: 3,466

DonParrot wrote:

Amazing: the E-M5 is far more expensive than any other camera on the list and made it to the top 12, nevertheless. This really underlines its outstanding popularity.

NEX-7 was 11th--just ahead of the OM-D. However, unlike the OM-D, it was available for the entire year.

Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 3,772

dennis tennis wrote:

Aleo Veuliah wrote:

tml

-- hide signature --

How insecure does one need to be that one must feel the need to state that one's camera system purchase is not only good for oneself but that the chosen system is the best choice for all?

Does one need to state that one's choice of underwear is the best choice?

I think it is not not about one's decision regarding the camera but a concern for the health of the brand that one has invested in (significant in terms of lenses), and it is a valid concern for both Olympus and Panasonic camera businesses at this time.

tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 23,715
What is really suprising is Sony....

doing so poorly.  u 4/3 has half the market and Sony less than 20%!?

Sony's brand name is huge in Japan, bigger than Nikon.

At less than 20% market penetration, I think the Sony brass may pull the plug on NEX.

I guess the Memory Stick and Betamax wont be so lonely anymore.

Teedoolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Sergey Borachev Veteran Member • Posts: 3,772
Re: What is really suprising is Sony....

tedolf wrote:

doing so poorly. u 4/3 has half the market and Sony less than 20%!?

At less than 20% market penetration, I think the Sony brass may pull the plug on NEX.

Teedoolph

No wonder Sony is in so much trouble. Pulling the plug on NEX is no big loss if Sony technology continues to be put in Olympus cameras, e.g. focus peaking, or a SLT version of 43 camera, high res LCDs, sweep panorama ... .

tedolf
tedolf Forum Pro • Posts: 23,715
Re: What is really suprising is Sony....

Sergey Borachev wrote:

tedolf wrote:

doing so poorly. u 4/3 has half the market and Sony less than 20%!?

Teedoolph

No wonder Sony is in so much trouble. Pulling the plug on NEX is no big loss if Sony technology continues to be put in Olympus cameras, e.g. focus peaking, or a SLT version of 43 camera, high res LCDs, sweep panorama ... .

That might be exaclty what the Sony brass is thinking.

I smelled blood when it was confirmed that Sony was selling sensors to Oly.

Sony has never been shy about abandoning technology, or their customers!

Tedolph

tedolf's gear list:tedolf's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:2.8 Pancake Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads