Totally dead D800 - any ideas?

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Questions
Broadoaker
Broadoaker Forum Member • Posts: 81
Totally dead D800 - any ideas?

After an 11 hour drive my D800 LCD screen is completely blank and I can't get the camera to show any signs of life. I've removed both batteries (camera and grip) and fully charged them. It's functioned fine for the 6 months prior to today. It was transported in the same padded Think Tank bag in the back of my car as my D4, SB910, MacBook, iPad, etc, all of which work fine. It hasn't been dropped, soaked or abused in any way. I can't find any precent for this online or any alternative other than to send it back to Nikon. Any ideas, guys and gals?

Broadoaker's gear list:Broadoaker's gear list
Leica M9-P Leica CL Leica M10-P Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Leica T 55-135mm F3.5-4.5 +5 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 13,674
Re: Totally dead D800 - any ideas?

Broadoaker wrote:

After an 11 hour drive my D800 LCD screen is completely blank and I can't get the camera to show any signs of life. I've removed both batteries (camera and grip) and fully charged them. It's functioned fine for the 6 months prior to today. It was transported in the same padded Think Tank bag in the back of my car as my D4, SB910, MacBook, iPad, etc, all of which work fine. It hasn't been dropped, soaked or abused in any way. I can't find any precent for this online or any alternative other than to send it back to Nikon. Any ideas, guys and gals?

Sorry to hear that, especially with all the recent reports of Nikon tagging so many problems as "impact damage", that would otherwise be warranty repairs:

http://forums.dpreview.com/search/forums?query=nikon%20%22impact%20damage%22

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 15,543

Is it was extremely cold during the 11 hour drive page 412 of the instructions confirms the rear monitor can go blank.

As you have had time to re-charge the battery the body should have warmed up and recovered. The only course of action may be to be to send it to Nikon.

In the unlikely event ice formed inside of the camera it may take a few hours to thaw out and to return to normal.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z7 +24 more
Manfred Bachmann Senior Member • Posts: 1,060

Nice first post!

-- hide signature --

Pbase supporter, NPS Austria
http://www.studio96.at

Manfred Bachmann's gear list:Manfred Bachmann's gear list
Nikon D7200 Sony Alpha a7R III Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2.8D +10 more
Broadoaker
OP Broadoaker Forum Member • Posts: 81

Unfortunate first post would more apt. The inside of my car was a steady 21 degrees C, so cold or ice can't be implicated. I was hoping that I'd overlooked something obvious but rather suspected that I hadn't. It won't be much of a hardship using my D4 alone for a while but is disappointing nevertheless.

Leica M9-P Leica CL Leica M10-P Leica APO-Summicron-M 50mm f/2 ASPH Leica T 55-135mm F3.5-4.5 +5 more
MOD TOF guy Forum Pro • Posts: 14,888

Sorry to read about your misfortunes.

Unfortunate first post would more apt. The inside of my car was a steady 21 degrees C, so cold or ice can't be implicated.

You didn't drive your car for hours with less than 0°C inside and never thought of turning the heating on ! Good, I'm glad to read this or I would have suggested that a D600 may be a bit complicated for someone like you All said jokingly, of course.

But there is still the possibility of water condensation (no ice !) inside a camera when transfered from a cold environment to warm temperatures. This could have happened after leaving the car. The camera detects the humidity and will not turn on for a while. It should work after 2 hours at most of waiting though.

I'm afraid chances are that the vibrations from the car may have done something to the camera. It should not have happened: the body should be able to take that. And indeed you'll have to send it to Nikon for repair.

Good luck !

I was hoping that I'd overlooked something obvious but rather suspected that I hadn't. It won't be much of a hardship using my D4 alone for a while but is disappointing nevertheless.

-- hide signature --

Thierry - posted as regular forum member

TOF guy's gear list:TOF guy's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +6 more
eajames
eajames Regular Member • Posts: 167

With the possibility of condensation being the culprit, I suggest putting the camera in a Ziploc bag with a silica gel cartridge for 24 hours, all the while crossing your fingers.

I often shoot in cold weather; when coming inside I protect my gear from condensation by warming it up in a watertight compartment.  Often I'm anxious to view images so I'll remove my cards and place them in a Ziploc before coming inside - the cards will warm up quickly, but lenses and cameras can take hours.

maljo@inreach.com Veteran Member • Posts: 7,578
El Segundo!

Your camera is over due for a service.  Sorry.

maljo

maljo@inreach.com's gear list:maljo@inreach.com's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon D500 Nikon D850
JTF Regular Member • Posts: 126

I had a similar symptom once with my D800.  Replacing the batteries did nothing.  What did work surprisingly was to switch the dial to 'Mup' mode, turn the camera on and press the shutter button.  Everything came back to life at that point.  Maybe this will work for you.

JTF's gear list:JTF's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +4 more
leerob
leerob Senior Member • Posts: 2,258

You can also use rice. It happened with my cell phone and I buried it in rice overnight and it came to life like magic.

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica C Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 +4 more
mwphotog Forum Member • Posts: 76

Before sending it in try something very simple....clean the battery contacts.

arek daniel Regular Member • Posts: 181

Did you try removing the grip & see if it turns on?

I've read few posts where the grip was the problem.

Only other suggestion I have is to try hard reset.

Good luck.

-- hide signature --
Broadoaker

I'm very grateful to the forum members who have taken the time to suggest solutions.

The camera has been indoors with the central heating on for 5 days now so condensation isn't likely. My car isn't that damp anyway and the distance from the car to the front door of the house was only 8 feet when it was transferred, with an ambient air temperature (SW France is mild at the moment) of 12 degrees C. I've tried with and without the grip and have swapped the batteries around. I'll scratch at the battery contacts but given that neither the camera battery nor the grip battery powers up the camera I'm pessimistic. I've tried MUP/on/shutter press but no luck. Dead as a dodo. Back to Nikon once I'm back in the UK. Happy New Year to you all, though, and thanks for the suggestions!

Broadoaker

The battery contacts are now clean but the camera remains dead. Unfortunately, one can't perform a hard reset without power. One for you I think, Mr Nikon.

AZBlue
AZBlue Senior Member • Posts: 1,710

Patco wrote:
Sorry to hear that, especially with all the recent reports of Nikon tagging so many problems as "impact damage", that would otherwise be warranty repairs:

What does this have to do with the OP's question? Stop trying to promote an issue that has nothing to do with this thread. Go away.

-- hide signature --

"I've been in more laps than a napkin" - Mae West

AZBlue's gear list:AZBlue's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +1 more
leerob
leerob Senior Member • Posts: 2,258

really I'm serious try to burry it in rice anyways. it doesn't cost much and won't hurt anything. leave 24 hrs

leerob's gear list:leerob's gear list
Leica X Vario Leica C Leica D-Lux (Typ 109) Nikon D7100 Nikon D750 +4 more
Patco Forum Pro • Posts: 13,674

AZBlue wrote:

Patco wrote:

What does this have to do with the OP's question? Stop trying to promote an issue that has nothing to do with this thread. Go away.

I think it may have more to do with the OP's situation than your post, which seems to be just an attempt at moderation, but then again, maybe not.

In any case, exactly who do you think you are you to tell anyone to "go away"?  Did you not read the rules you agreed to, specifically, "5. Be civil" ?

-- hide signature --

Patco
A photograph is more than a bunch of pixels

orchidblooms
orchidblooms Senior Member • Posts: 1,267

Broadoaker wrote:

The battery contacts are now clean but the camera remains dead. Unfortunately, one can't perform a hard reset without power. One for you I think, Mr Nikon.

make sure you try without the grip..

completely dead?  nothing in top window?

when i use manual focus lenses an aperture ring is not locked --- top screen shoes err and nothing works...

i finally set in menue to use lens ring

Hugo First Contributing Member • Posts: 780

the suggestions have been interesting, but these cameras are complex machines. it unfortunately does happen sometimes that a critical component will fail, and it will go on the blink.

don't despair. the modularity of construction suggests that swapping a board will revive the camera -- and it seems most unlikely nikon would ascribe such a failure to "impact damage" or "user mishap."

good luck!

tx001 New Member • Posts: 3

take the lens off the camera and turn on it again to try .

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads