Not as sharp as expected

Started Dec 29, 2012 | Discussions
rebornbiker New Member • Posts: 14
Not as sharp as expected

Hi,

Any advice as to why this shot appears softer than I would like?

Constructive help appreciated.

rebornbiker's gear list:rebornbiker's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 10,895
Re: Not as sharp as expected

rebornbiker wrote:

Hi,

Constructive help appreciated.

You're shooting at ISO 800, so the images won't be as sharp as those at ISO 100.  You might want to try shooting RAW+JPG, and see what Silkypix 5.0 does to the RAW file. Here's a thread which describes user experience with SP5.0. (It's much better than the version included on the FZ200 CD).

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3351910#forum-post-50468092

For this particular image, you could just take a longer exposure at ISO 100, but that's not workable when the subject is moving.

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82
OP rebornbiker New Member • Posts: 14

Thanks sherman, I had not noticed the iso setting.

I thought I had limited iso but it seems the setting did not save.

I suppose I need to re-read the manual

Ronomy
Ronomy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,034

You can get a little more sharpness with NR set to -2 but more noise at ISO 800 but shooting RAW is better at this ISO if you want more detail.

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon EOS 7D Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +6 more
Kevin Coppalotti Veteran Member • Posts: 9,098
shutter speed 1/8 second

Shutter speed 1/8th second and shocking file quality at iso 800.

-- hide signature --
howardfuhrman Veteran Member • Posts: 4,036

The photo was shot at 1/8 sec,which is too slow to hand hold the camera. The lack of sharpness is due to camera shake. If you are at such slow shutter use a tripod and then shoot at a low iOS and yourphotos will be sharp.

tbaker Regular Member • Posts: 435

I don't see much wrong with it. It is fairly sharp and very clean noise wise. I was expecting it to be actually worse based on the subject title.

Stephen McDonald
Stephen McDonald Forum Pro • Posts: 13,445

When you shoot dimly-lit interiors, you can't expect to get top quality, no matter what you do and which camera you use. But with a 1/8-sec. shutter, you have to use some means to steady the camera. Even with a tripod, many shots may be blurred a little, by the action of squeezing the button. The right method of squeezing and breathing is the same as for shooting a gun. An optional remote shutter-release might help. Cameras that have electronic remote control would be best for avoiding this. This thread you started about the release got some good responses: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50560155 Did you receive the release and use it?

I use a large shoulder-mount for such shots and if I take enough exposures, sometimes one of them will be sharp. The superzoom cameras may be versatile, but aren't intended to be ideal for closeup and interior photography. This model will be at its best when shooting mid to long-range subjects.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album
My Places on Google Earth Click on My Places on Skydrive

Ronomy
Ronomy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,034
Re: shutter speed 1/8 second

Wow I missed that...it really is quite good for 1/8th!

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Canon EOS 7D Sigma 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM Art +6 more
tbaker Regular Member • Posts: 435

Stephen McDonald wrote:

I use a large shoulder-mount for such shots and if I take enough exposures, sometimes one of them will be sharp. The superzoom cameras may be versatile, but aren't intended to be ideal for closeup and interior photography. This model will be at its best when shooting mid to long-range subjects.

-- hide signature --

Steve McDonald
My Flickr Album
My Vimeo Video Album
My Places on Google Earth Click on My Places on Skydrive

I would disagree. With the faster lens, and high quality sensor the FZ line has always been acceptable for interior and close-up shots. This is a perfectly fine example here.

Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,583
A lot sharper than I expected

rebornbiker wrote:

Hi,

I was practising on small objects round my kitchen yesterday. I deliberately set 100 ISO, so at f2.8 (in A mode) I was shooting at around 1/6 sec.

Hand-held with the LCD or via the EVF, and my own revolver-shooting mode switched on :-), I tried the 2-sec timer, and sometimes very short bursts with 2 fps. The amazing OIS and f2.8 out to long tele combined to give me a quite a lot of clear shots.

But with the LCD deployed and swivelling and my wrists resting on the kitchen table, things became a lot more reliable.

And I realised that at 200 ISO I would be getting around 1/12 sec, and at 400 ISO, 1/24 sec,. much easier to use, and 400 ISO is not that bad. The trick being to avoid 800 ISO.

All this was fun, and would not have been fun with my previous FZs . . . so I was well pleased.

PS - I am not dangerous, I no longer have revolvers . . .

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ1000
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,583

Stephen McDonald wrote:

. . . . . An optional remote shutter-release might help. . . . .

Handheld, a trained trigger finger helps a lot, as you say, but I also I use the 2 sec timer a lot, and occasionally the 2 fps burst mode for very short bursts.

Mike

Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic FZ1000
OP rebornbiker New Member • Posts: 14

Thanks for all your comments.

The points you have all raised have made me realise that I expected more than reasonable from this picture.

It was taken as a snapshot without thinking about settings and as aresult I had not noticed the high ISO and very low shutter speed!

In my days of film cameras I would not have got a picture anywhere near as good as this from a shutter speed of 1/8th using super grainy iso 800 film

Overall I am very happy with the camera, I just need to learn the differences from film to digital and put as much thought into settings as I used to with a 35mm film camera.

It is just too easy to look at the screen or evf and see a good picture and to presume the camera will take care of the settings and a good result will emerge ha ha.

I will try my tripod and when the remote shutter appears I will try that or the self timer when light is this low again.

Many thanks

in_focus
in_focus Forum Pro • Posts: 18,674

Hi, Biker.. I have no problem with sharpness of this image, I love it as it is - oversharpened scenes are not very pleasing (at least not for my eye), LOL .. good eye and good capture, thanks for sharing.

Happy New Year,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

jazzbass62 Senior Member • Posts: 1,728

in_focus wrote:

Hi, Biker.. I have no problem with sharpness of this image, I love it as it is - oversharpened scenes are not very pleasing (at least not for my eye), LOL .. good eye and good capture, thanks for sharing.

Happy New Year,

-- hide signature --

Bruno

I'm in Bruno's camp on this one... it looks really nice to my eyes!  You can be proud of the photo!

-- hide signature --

Cleve

jazzbass62's gear list:jazzbass62's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +1 more
Jerry045
Jerry045 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,508

You can find remote shutter switches on ebay for about $10. The same remote shutter works for the FZ50, FZ100, FZ150 and FZ200 cameras.

I got one years ago and it works great.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 III +2 more
yellodog Senior Member • Posts: 1,922

Since no one else has mentioned it the DOF is fairly limited because the aperture is set to 2.8 so the middle wall looks sharper than areas around the edges. If you do try it again with a tripod, try f 8.0.

walkaround Senior Member • Posts: 2,551

howardfuhrman wrote:

The photo was shot at 1/8 sec,which is too slow to hand hold the camera. The lack of sharpness is due to camera shake. If you are at such slow shutter use a tripod...

The OP doesn't say what camera they used, but most recent optical image stabilizers will give you 4 extra stops. So 1/8 sec would be sufficient to handhold up to a 100mm lens.

Me Tarzan
Me Tarzan Senior Member • Posts: 1,392

Based on the settings, that's quite a shot.

-- hide signature --

Cheers!
Frank

photofan1986
photofan1986 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,026

I think it's pretty decent for 800ISO on a small sensor camera. Shoot raw if you want to control noise reduction (more noise/ less smearing).

photofan1986's gear list:photofan1986's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Sony RX100 III Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +9 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads