Indoor basement studio lens choice - 50mm 1.8d or 85m 1.8D

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions
zm15 New Member • Posts: 20
Indoor basement studio lens choice - 50mm 1.8d or 85m 1.8D

So I'm basically allowing myself to only purchase one of these, and I know the 85mm is about 3 times as much as the 50mm, but i'm only getting one.

I have a single umbrella with a Yongnuo YP-560 flash with a yongnuo trigger for manual flash control on a D7000, on black and white muslin backdrops.

Will i see better results from the 50mm lens for portrait/baby photos, or with the 85mm??

For this purpose, does the 85mm cost justify itself for a setting like this, or is 50mm just fine?

zm15's gear list:zm15's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D
Nikon D7000
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
leoda Regular Member • Posts: 224
Re: Indoor basement studio lens choice - 50mm 1.8d or 85m 1.8D

How big is your basement studio ?

Is the 85mm view angle too narrow for the space you have?

If someone wants their five kids shot in a full-body "portrait" which is the better view angle for your space ?

I am thinking . . . "You can always move closer, but not always can you move further back".

herbymel Veteran Member • Posts: 6,153

With just one light you'll probably need a reflector of some sort to provide some fill light for your shots. If your just going to buy one lens for now, probably go with the 50. If your considering this to be more than just a hobby, you will need to upgrade a bit from what you've got.

herbymel's gear list:herbymel's gear list
Nikon D750 Nikon D500 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 105mm f/2D DC Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4D ED-IF II +6 more
Jack Hogan Veteran Member • Posts: 6,599

+1 leoda.  Unless you have the space, you'll be able to only do portraits with an 85mm.  If you do not have much space you may also want to consider the 35mm 1.8.

intensity studios Contributing Member • Posts: 668
you have to get 50mm 1.8

zm15 wrote:

So I'm basically allowing myself to only purchase one of these, and I know the 85mm is about 3 times as much as the 50mm, but i'm only getting one.

I have a single umbrella with a Yongnuo YP-560 flash with a yongnuo trigger for manual flash control on a D7000, on black and white muslin backdrops.

Will i see better results from the 50mm lens for portrait/baby photos, or with the 85mm??

For this purpose, does the 85mm cost justify itself for a setting like this, or is 50mm just fine?

If you are using it on a DX format camera, unless you have a huge basement, you really need a 50mm lens. Remember that with the crop factor of your camera a 50mm lens becomes a 75mm and an 85mm becomes 127mm, which would require you to back up from your subject really far to get the entire body in frame.

Yes, the 85mm is an amazing lens, especially if you plan on throwing the background out of focus. But it is really tricky to use in small spaces with a DX camera.

Your other option to consider is going full frame and using 85mm.

-- hide signature --
 intensity studios's gear list:intensity studios's gear list
Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Adobe Photoshop CS6 +4 more
Steinhansel Regular Member • Posts: 245
Re: you have to get 50mm 1.8

When I read the OP's original post, I got the feeling that he didn't have a lot of money to spend.  See if you get the same feeling.  He needs help with the choice between the 50mm f1,8 and the 85mm f1.8, that's all.

Steinhansel's gear list:Steinhansel's gear list
Nikon D5100 Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS HSM
OP zm15 New Member • Posts: 20

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do also have a 35 1.8 af-s and a 55-200 4-5.6. I'm slowly building my lens collection. And the home studio would just be for family stuff to begin with.

I can put the 55-200 lens on and test it from the 85mm distance and see how it looks. I'd love to get that 85mm lens for sure, minor details with the cash flow, as usual for these expensive hobbies. 

zm15's gear list:zm15's gear list
Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D

Steinhansel wrote:

When I read the OP's original post, I got the feeling that he didn't have a lot of money to spend. See if you get the same feeling. He needs help with the choice between the 50mm f1,8 and the 85mm f1.8, that's all.

yes, and that is the info that I gave him. I don't see what your point is?

-- hide signature --
Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Adobe Photoshop CS6 +4 more

zm15 wrote:

Thanks for the replies everyone. I do also have a 35 1.8 af-s and a 55-200 4-5.6. I'm slowly building my lens collection. And the home studio would just be for family stuff to begin with.

I can put the 55-200 lens on and test it from the 85mm distance and see how it looks. I'd love to get that 85mm lens for sure, minor details with the cash flow, as usual for these expensive hobbies.

yeah, that's a good idea. Set your zoom at 85mm and see if you even have enough space for that focal distance. If not, then it the 85mm is a non-starter for you.

Also the 50mm is great as well. It's just not going to give you as much of that wonderful bokeh magic look as the 85 will.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads