New idea on RX100 battery drain.

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions
Thomas Kachadurian
Thomas Kachadurian Veteran Member • Posts: 3,697
New idea on RX100 battery drain.

I too have had the experince of putting away my RX100 full charged only to have a dead battery in the morning.

Perhaps it's this. The play button stays active when the camera is off. So if your case puts pressure on the play button the camera WILL go on. Maybe that's it. The button is near the bottom edge, not terribly well recessed and could get pressure from trim or something in the case.

Tom

www.kachadurian.com
Call me crazy. I happen to like photos of cats.

Thomas Kachadurian's gear list:Thomas Kachadurian's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +7 more
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
zgeist Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: New idea on RX100 battery drain.

Thomas Kachadurian wrote:

I too have had the experince of putting away my RX100 full charged only to have a dead battery in the morning.

Perhaps it's this. The play button stays active when the camera is off. So if your case puts pressure on the play button the camera WILL go on. Maybe that's it. The button is near the bottom edge, not terribly well recessed and could get pressure from trim or something in the case.

Tom

www.kachadurian.com

Read my thread on the RX1 battery drain issue. I already tested and confirmed the source of the problem. I'm betting the RX100 has the same design problem.

I'm 99% certain (in my situation) it's because the shutter button is being pushed while stowed away. This happens especially easily if you use a soft release shutter button.  Pressing the shutter must be completing some kind of circuit in the camera. It still takes a number of hours to fully drain it, but it definitely happens.

Docno Veteran Member • Posts: 5,095
Never had this problem

zgeist wrote:

Tom

www.kachadurian.com

Read my thread on the RX1 battery drain issue. I already tested and confirmed the source of the problem. I'm betting the RX100 has the same design problem.

I'm 99% certain (in my situation) it's because the shutter button is being pushed while stowed away. Pressing the shutter must be completing some kind of circuit in the camera. It still takes a number of hours to fully drain it, but it definitely happens.

Mostly keep the camera in tight jeans pocket also. So I would think that if the play button can be pressed, this would do it. No such luck....

-- hide signature --

NEX-7, Sony a900; SEL18-200mm, CZ135mm, CZ24-70mm, SAL70-300mmG, 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8 macro, KM17-35mm, CZ16-80mm, KM11-18mm, SAL18-250mm
http://lh5.google.com.au/glennjude/Rsa2wUQ1RxI/AAAAAAAAA-g/TjvlEY5BpIA/s400/Pano%20-%20Glaciers%20and%20Temple.jpg

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R II Sony a7 IV Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +9 more
zgeist Junior Member • Posts: 47
Re: Never had this problem

Docno wrote:

zgeist wrote:

Tom

www.kachadurian.com

I'm 99% certain (in my situation) it's because the shutter button is being pushed while stowed away. Pressing the shutter must be completing some kind of circuit in the camera. It still takes a number of hours to fully drain it, but it definitely happens.

Mostly keep the camera in tight jeans pocket also. So I would think that if the play button can be pressed, this would do it. No such luck....

Not the play button, the shutter release.  Go ahead and test it before you go to bed at night.  Put a soft release button on (or find some other way to keep it pressed), turn it upside down on a flat surface so that the release is fully pushed down, and leave it overnight.  The battery will be dead in the morning.

ronctx
ronctx Regular Member • Posts: 111

Tom

www.kachadurian.com

This topic has been discussed before on another post titled "Sony RX100 battery life".  I have had this same thing happen to me, also using a soft case with screen area/play back button next to me when I carry it on my belt.  I now carry my RX100 with the lenses next to me and the screen area/play back button away from me and it appears to have corrected the battery drain problem.  Since then I haven't had a problem (so far).
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50429034

Rchan Regular Member • Posts: 322

Tom

www.kachadurian.com

I noticed this too when I first got my camera and was storing it in a case. Additionally, when taking the camera out of my pants pocket, I have accidentally hit some button (play or on/off) turned it on and the lens came out and I couldn't take the camera out of my pocket. I had to fiddle and try to find the on/off button and turn it off so the lens would retract. Since then I have been very careful. This never happened when I carried the Canon in my pocket for years. Since then I got myself a micro fiber pouch and put my RX100 in that when it goes in my pocket. Thus I can pull the pouch out without touching any buttons. The buttons are more sensitive on the RX100. Maybe Sony can fix this when they update it otherwise the RX100 is a super camera.

Rchan's gear list:Rchan's gear list
Sony RX100 VA
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads