6D WIFI: how long for RAW transfer?

Started Dec 28, 2012 | Discussions
ron purdy Senior Member • Posts: 2,493
6D WIFI: how long for RAW transfer?

Anyone know approx how long to transfer RAW files via WIFI to a computer?

Thanks!

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Larawanista
Larawanista Veteran Member • Posts: 4,335
Re: 6D WIFI: how long for RAW transfer?

ron purdy wrote:

Thanks!

That will depend on the speed of your connection, of course and whether you are on sRAW or the full sized RAW.

Took me roughly a minute to transfer a 15mb RAW file, my internet connection at home is 5mbps.

-- hide signature --

JCC
"Photography is therapeutic."
http://www.pbase.com/joshcruzphotos

Larawanista's gear list:Larawanista's gear list
Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R6 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 28mm F3.5 Macro IS STM +12 more
GaryM Contributing Member • Posts: 934

Ron: Could be mistaken but...don't think you can transfer RAW (Don't think any of the optional transfers could handle RAW).

GaryM

lemming2008 Regular Member • Posts: 488

I think Gary is correct, this review says RAW transfer is not supported:

http://photodoto.com/new-canon-6d-welcome-to-full-frame-club/

(Wifi remote control sounds like a killer feature though!)

lemming2008's gear list:lemming2008's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 35mm F1.4L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +3 more
Y Hafting
Y Hafting Contributing Member • Posts: 787

ron purdy wrote:

Thanks!

i got 20 Mbit/sec on my home computer network. I am not sure where the limitaition is (net/camera).

Using the USB cable is significantly faster.

-Yngve

Y Hafting
You can transfer RAW using EOS utility

You can transfer raw(i have done so), but probably not in smartphone mode (i have only tested EOS utility mode and remote shooting using smartphone).

You can use EOS utility to download images as usual using wireless instead of a card reader or USB, that way you will get raw files wirelessly. However it is likely to be slower than the USB connection, so use the cable when available..

-Yngve

Philippe Castagna
Philippe Castagna Contributing Member • Posts: 569
Re: You can transfer RAW using EOS utility

I just bought the 6D last week to replaced my beloved 40D... Definitely it's a big improvement and I already enjoy the 6D.

I was able to transfer through the wifi raw from the body to either my computer and my ipad 2.

However it's a huge difference in between the transfer speed with the usb cable and the wifi.

For a few photos it's ok but but for a large amount I still prefer the usb option.

-- hide signature --

Philippe

Philippe Castagna's gear list:Philippe Castagna's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +5 more
JimSab Junior Member • Posts: 25

Bloody ages that's how long. I've got a Wireless N router which is generally pretty fast, but RAW file transfer to the comp via wireless on my 6D takes too long, you might as well use the USB cable if you were going to do more than a couple of images.
It's nice to have the wireless, but it's better more for just live view.

TJMN New Member • Posts: 10

ron purdy wrote:

Thanks!

In the tests I performed, going from the 6D to a computer running DPP (via WFT), with both devices connected to the same access point (running at N speed, and both fairly close, so let's say "normal" signal degradation) I was averaging 15 seconds per RAW (avg 24Mb in size) and 4 seconds for JPG, around 5Mb in size. This was timed from shutter click until it appeared in the DPP window. That was in the tether mode for shooting.

Definitely one of those things that if you have a USB cable around, it's much faster...

riknash Veteran Member • Posts: 6,874

Learning about these slow transmission speeds here, are there situations where the wireless connection is truly useful and not more of a novel, semi-practical feature?

riknash's gear list:riknash's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 200-400mm f/4L IS USM Extender 1.4x Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM HTC One
Philippe Castagna
Philippe Castagna Contributing Member • Posts: 569

this is some example of good things regarding the wifi integrated:

see/transfer photos to an ipad to check them on a bigger screen

transfer photos to an ipad to send them by email

remote connection from an ipad or your PC

print on a wifi printer directly from the body

that says, we can leave without the above (personally I did since the last past 35 years :-)) but it's good to have it...

-- hide signature --

Philippe

Philippe Castagna's gear list:Philippe Castagna's gear list
Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +5 more
Y Hafting
wireless focus, shoot and review...

riknash wrote:

Learning about these slow transmission speeds here, are there situations where the wireless connection is truly useful and not more of a novel, semi-practical feature?

That depends entirely on your point of view. Personally i like to have the ability to shoot and review using my smartphone.

For just shooting you can of course buy a radio trigger, but having it in an app means i don't have to bring something i would not otherwise bring. If you plan to be a part of the picture yourself, the ability to remote focus and image review valuable.

I plan to use remote shooting when using my lightweight tripod (to avoid camera shake).

There are also options for sharing images with other devices or for printing, but that is not how i plan to use the camera.

In other words, you can always get by, using timer, optional remote triggers etc, but it can help achieving the goal easier than without wifi.

-Yngve

OP ron purdy Senior Member • Posts: 2,493

Thanks guys, I guess 15 seconds could be manageable for raw files, but 1 minute? No way. Guess I'll have to try it and see for myself. Thanks for all the info.

-- hide signature --

ron purdy dot com

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads