Convert Canon EF lenses to fit SD1M

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Questions
Lincoln Castricone Forum Member • Posts: 64
Convert Canon EF lenses to fit SD1M

Any relatively easy way to use Canon EF lenses on the Sigma SA mount??

I've looked through previous posts, but there doesn't appear to be a clear consensus

or method. Thanks.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sigma SD1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,131
Re: Convert Canon EF lenses to fit SD1M

Lincoln Castricone wrote:

I've looked through previous posts, but there doesn't appear to be a clear consensus

or method. Thanks.

You should be able to find some previous posts on this.  The summary is that you take an old SA plate, and replace the EF plate with it - it involves re-soldering the connectors, and possibly drilling a new hole or two in the plate.

I have been mulling over doing this, I think a good plan is to find the cheapest EF lens possible, and do a conversion on that fist.  When properly done, you then have a plate drilled as needed and ready to go for the real lens you want to convert, and will have uncovered whatever pitfalls may lie in wait for you.

Another possibility is to sell the Canon lens you are thinking of converting and just buying a Sigma SA replacement.  That depends on what lens you have that you are thinking of converting.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
Mescalamba Contributing Member • Posts: 858

I think converting SD1M to EF mount is much better way as every lens in SA mount exist in EF too. And not mentioning countless adapters for EF mount.

In case you would some day want to change systems, selling SA lens is like throwing money out of window..

MOD Kendall Helmstetter Gelner Forum Pro • Posts: 20,131

Mescalamba wrote:

I think converting SD1M to EF mount is much better way as every lens in SA mount exist in EF too. And not mentioning countless adapters for EF mount.

There are also many adaptors for SA mount.  And you can take Pentax PK pretty much directly (as long as there is no aperture lever).

And of course, changing the mount on a camera invalidates the warranty for the whole camera - changing the mount on a lens only does so for the lens.

In case you would some day want to change systems, selling SA lens is like throwing money out of window..

On the other hand having to buy each lens in EF mount means spending more than you would on an SA mount lens.

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list:Kendall Helmstetter Gelner's gear list
Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 8-16mm F4.5-5.6 DC HSM Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +4 more
D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 21,145

The real solution is to persuade Sigma to bring out a mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera.

Antone
Antone Senior Member • Posts: 1,202

I think I'd like to try this with a Zeiss 35mm f/2 with an EF mount. The big question is the connection of the mylar to the Zeiss lens. Any chance they are compatible? Or do you think it will take some soldering?

-- hide signature --

Tony-S

Antone's gear list:Antone's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma SD15 Sony Alpha a7 Sigma sd Quattro +9 more
SigmaTog
SigmaTog Contributing Member • Posts: 861

Kendall Helmstetter Gelner wrote:

Lincoln Castricone wrote:

or method. Thanks.

You should be able to find some previous posts on this. The summary is that you take an old SA plate, and replace the EF plate with it - it involves re-soldering the connectors, and possibly drilling a new hole or two in the plate.

I have been mulling over doing this, I think a good plan is to find the cheapest EF lens possible, and do a conversion on that fist. When properly done, you then have a plate drilled as needed and ready to go for the real lens you want to convert, and will have uncovered whatever pitfalls may lie in wait for you.

Another possibility is to sell the Canon lens you are thinking of converting and just buying a Sigma SA replacement. That depends on what lens you have that you are thinking of converting.

Some of the later Sigma lenses have ZIF cable & connectors on the electrical contact block.

I need an SA electrical block with a ZIF cable, but where can I get one ??

This one is a Canon block & ZIF cable

∑igmaTog

Sigma SA mount & electric contact block & a Canon electric contact block with a ZIF cable.

docmaas
docmaas Veteran Member • Posts: 6,154

Lens protocols are pretty much the same.  I don't think IS will work though.  As others have said the wires to the chip have to be removed from the canon chip and resoldered to the sigma chip.  Not an easy task but some have done it.

Changing the camera flange and mount is much more difficult.  One person in Russia has done it and another in China.  One user here also did it on an earlier model.  Those three are quite well done.  There were also some earlier conversions done that were not of the same quality.

The zeiss lenses are less of a problem if you get those without a chip since there will need to be no soldering.

You can also get some m42 flanges from leitax and a leica R to Sigma SA flange as well.

Mike

khunpapa
khunpapa Senior Member • Posts: 1,888

D Cox wrote:

The real solution is to persuade Sigma to bring out a mirrorless interchangeable-lens camera.

Count my vote!

-- hide signature --

Flashes of my Memory.

khunpapa's gear list:khunpapa's gear list
Sigma DP2 Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads