People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!

Started Dec 26, 2012 | Discussions
youngy89
youngy89 New Member • Posts: 10
Re: People using their tablets as cameras, explain this to me!

It is an odd and unusual thing to see, but give it a few years and it will probably be the customary way to take photos. It's particularly annoying at events with close proximity to other people, and they're waving around large IPADS.  I'll stick to Cameras for photos and Laptops for computing.

youngy89's gear list:youngy89's gear list
Canon EOS 1100D Canon EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6
RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,606
Re: horrible sign of the times

TOR8472 wrote:

RedFox88 wrote:

A horrible sign of the times!

A couple of weeks ago I was at a school performance with someone in front of me shooting video on her tablet. I could see the screen and of course there was no exposure compensation so the people were very over exposed but the woman did not seem to notice or care.

I had the same thing happen to me last week. My biggest problem with it was that their huge tablet in the air was blocking view and my shot. The more tablets I see in the air, the less considerate it makes me want to be of people behind me.

Just tell the person "hey, put that thing down - you're blocking my view... I can't see!"

philm5d Contributing Member • Posts: 847

malabraxis wrote:

Dude, ever since photography went digital, every Tom, Dick and Harry is now a photographer! And of course, every corporate type must also advertise the fact that they are corporate types.

After two decades in the business, I've seen some pretty weird stuff . I've already learnt that technology and common sense don't always work together. I suppose it's easier to just pick up your I-pad instead of fumbling for your I-phone?

Don't worry; as with every fad, the novelty factor will soon fade off when they realise what tits they look like.

Well said sir!

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,529
Re: Having just done that the other day...

Mike_PEAT wrote:

I needed to take a picture for work...I didn't have any of my dSLRs or my MILCs, and I didn't have my phone...all I had was my iPad which I always have on me. It was made more awkward due to the cover I have on it.

In my defense it was either iPad or no picture. My iPod Touch would have been a lot less awkward...I can't imagine the iPad mini being better though.

But fosomeone one who doesn't understand cables and card readers, here they only havecto click, and show their friends. The only technology they have to cope with is switching the iPad on. It couldn't be better, and Apple knows it.

JulesJ
Re: can't beat the size of that viewfinder!

ljfinger wrote:

T3 wrote:

oki_ wrote:

This is an increasing trend. People carrying around their huge tablets to take pictures, or worse, videos. I can completely understand taking snapshots with your phone, but not with tablets. I fail to comprehend this.

Well, a tablet's screen does make one heck of a large viewfinder!

I wouldn't call it a viewfinder. It's just a very, very ungainly LCD, especially if there's some sort of silly flip-case attached.

Seriously, though, I doubt people are carrying around tablets specifically and exclusively to shoot pictures or video. They just happen to have it with them.

You are wrong. I see parents show up at their kids' school events tablet-in-hand to shoot pictures of their kids. These are events that are planned months in advance.

Plus, while you might decry the use of tablets because you think they are "huge", I'm sure you have no problem with people lugging around big DSLRs and big DSLR lenses to take pictures or shoot video!

A dSLR is 1/4 the size of an iPad.

Not in volume.

Having these idiots put an iPad with flip case up over their head and thereby block the view of everyone behind them makes me want to smash the dumb things with a hammer.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

BJL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,110
Maybe the big composing screen is the right tool for some people

GodSpeaks wrote:

pcassel wrote:

You have your iPad with you and wish to take a snap. You use it to take a snap. The alternative is to not take the snap.

No, the alternative is to use the proper tool for the job, and a large tablet is NOT the right tool.

I live in Bangkok, where flaunting it is the norm among Thais. I can guarantee you that every Thai I saw using their tablet to take a photo also had a phone with them.

I can see several cases where the device with the far larger screen is a better tool than a phone.

1. Snaps taken mainly for the sake of immediate sharing with companions, so that the larger scren of thr iPad makes that sharing easier and more enjoyable. Or as others have said, when sharing later is most easily done without the fiddle of transferring tue image from one device to another.

2. For people with poor eyesight, and/or who need to hold the screen almost at arm's length to see it, composing with the tiny image on a phone's screen is difficult , and the larger screen of an iPad works better.

3. Many older people that I know, have never adopted fancy phones with decent cameras, but do have iPad's, and women (and some men) who routinely carry a bag can easily have an iPad with them almost all the time. We (men in particular) need to move beyond the fallacy that the only device a person can have with them all the time is one that fits in a pant's pocket.

I predict that new lighter devices like the iPad Mini, Kindle Fire, and Nexus tablets will increase the ubiquity of such devices and of people taking pictures with them, so get used to it!

-- hide signature --

Smaller lenses, better in low light, more telephoto reach: you can have any *two* at one time.

BJL's gear list:BJL's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +8 more
MrScary Veteran Member • Posts: 6,465
Re: Maybe the big composing screen is the right tool for some people

I want to know, how on earth do these people get good shots without the pics being out-of-focus (fuzzy).

Do they not care?? Are they and others so easily pleased or are their Eyes Very Bad they just don't care.

No wonder the manufacturers have jumped on the bandwagon, they know how stupid most people are, so are able to sell these phones and pads in the trillions. Little things pleases little minds...

JMHO.

-- hide signature --
 MrScary's gear list:MrScary's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 400mm f/5.6L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Epson Stylus Photo R3000
BJL Veteran Member • Posts: 9,110
Re: Maybe the big composing screen is the right tool for some people

MrScary wrote:

I want to know, how on earth do these people get good shots without the pics being out-of-focus (fuzzy).

Tap on the screen to select focus point, then tap again to take the photo. This too is easier on the big screen than on a phone. Also DOF is rather large, to focus is fairly easy.

-- hide signature --

Smaller lenses, better in low light, more telephoto reach: you can have any *two* at one time.

BJL's gear list:BJL's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-620 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 28-105mm f/3.5-4.5 II USM Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD +8 more
RobCMad
RobCMad Regular Member • Posts: 352

But the OP said they could understand people using a phone but couldn't understand why people would use an ipad - do you have anything to say on this topic?

JulesJ

donaldsc wrote:

Seriously, though, I doubt people are carrying around tablets specifically and exclusively to shoot pictures or video. They just happen to have it with them.

Actually, I often see people taking pictures at National Parks w their tablets. First of all, who lugs a tablet w them as they walk around a National Park? Where do you stow the thing?

You could ask them, or even watch them, there's always a way. It might no be yourway, but then you don't kiss by rubbing noses, or live in an igloo do you. Different things suit differen people. I guess you haven't travelled much have you?

Compared w a P&S, how vulnerable to damage is the tablet. Compared to the cost of a P&S camera, how expensive is the tablet?

It makes no sense at all.

-- hide signature --

Don

T3 Forum Pro • Posts: 21,014

ljfinger wrote:

I'm 42 and a progressive liberal and technologist. I have three technology patents. My grandfather is 96. I could easily live 50 more years. Viewfinders and screens will still be distinct then as they are now. OVF's are by far the best, EVF's are a distant second, and screens are barely usable under the easiest of conditions.

You are the makings of a grouchy old man!  Hahaha.

Time to join the 21st century.  Look all around you.  Electronic screens are being used to "find the view" everywhere you look, whether it be with the latest mobile devices, or dedicated video cameras, or point-n-shoot cameras, or DSLR videography, or MILC's, etc, etc, etc.  The reality is that EVF/screen "viewfinder" cameras far outnumber optical viewfinder cameras these days, and the margin will only increase as time and technology moves forward.  Cling to your conservative ideas and notions all you want, but the world is moving on.  To say silly, foolish, and completely erroneous things like "screens are barely usable under the easiest of conditions" is to completely ignore the fact that millions and millions of people are taking great photos in all kinds of conditions with all kinds of "screen" cameras, from compact cameras to smart phone cameras.  If you don't see this, it means you're clearly out of touch with modern times, or just have your head buried in the sand.

T3's gear list:T3's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Olympus PEN E-PL3 Canon EOS M Fujifilm X-E1 Sony a6000 +17 more

RobCMad wrote:

But the OP said they could understand people using a phone but couldn't understand why people would use an ipad - do you have anything to say on this topic?

Sure.  It's because they want the final product (the picture or video) to be on their tablet!  Taking a picture with a camera, or a phone camera, then transferring it to their tablet is one less step or hassle they have to deal with.

Furthermore, if you've ever done it yourself, it's easy to see that looking at a big, beautiful 10" screen is just bigger and more beautiful than looking at a 4" screen on a smart phone or a compact camera...especially if your eyes aren't that great, and you're holding the camera up in front of you.  It may be annoying to anyone standing *behind* you, but it's quite a nice view for the person framing the image with the tablet!  If you don't know what I'm talking about, I suggest you go to an Apple store and try it for yourself with an iPad.  I bought an iPad 2 for my parents when it first came out, and they absolutely *love* framing images with that huge iPad screen!  You wouldn't think it would be such a big deal, but to their (aging) eyes it's sheer pleasure.  No need for them to use any eyeglasses.  Plus, I guess going back to framing images with a small 4" screen is a little like going back to watching movies on a 20-27" television after watching on a 40-50" plasma.

youngy89 wrote:

I'll stick to Cameras for photos and Laptops for computing.

That's like saying, about smart phones: "I'll stick to phones for talking, and laptops for computing." Hardly anyone carries a phone /just/ for talking these days! In fact, people have moved to smart phones en masse because they want a tiny computer in their pocket...in addition to being able to make phone calls. As we move forward, the notion of having devices exclusively dedicated to a particular task will increasingly become a niche.

Remember, it was not too long ago that people like yourself were saying, "I'll stick to a *photo* camera for photos, and a *video* camera for videos!" People were crying that video did not belong in a DSLR, and that no *serious* video shooter would ever want to shoot video with a DSLR! Now looking back, we can see that those people sound awfully shortsighted.

But getting back to the topic of people using iPads for shooting photos and videos, the good news is that there is not the iPad Mini, which is much more compact, so it doesn't look so huge if someone holds it up.

http://cdn.gottabemobile.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/iPad-Mini-iphone-ipad--575x439.jpg

JulesJ

ljfinger wrote:

glossywhite wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

glossywhite wrote:

I often hear that "The best camera is the one you have with you", so it's a choice of:

1/ Take the photo

2/ Don't take the photo

Choose.

They do look silly, but I'd rather look silly and get a photo than miss it for vanity.

Carry a decent compact, rather than a not nearly compact tablet that has a much poorer camera.

iPad owners have iPads with them, and if they don't have a compact with them... well... come on, think about it.

Stupid thread anyway.

Why would anyone carry an ipad around with them, and not a much smaller and more practical phone or compact camera?

Why would someone buy a yellow car? Why would someone wear an orange hat. You might not want to, but that doesn't mean someone else can't. You don't seem very understanding Ljfinger, I guess you don't have kids!

...and yes, it is a silly thread anyway.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

ljfinger wrote:

Why would anyone carry an ipad around with them, and not a much smaller and more practical phone or compact camera?

I take it that you don't own an iPad.  There's quite a lot more that you can do with the iPad's much larger screen than you can do with a comparatively small screen on a smart phone.  And obviously, there are a ton of things you can do with an iPad that you can't do on a compact camera.  Obviously, people will have different preferences as to which devices they choose to use at any given moment.  But I do have to say that it's pretty neat to frame an image using such a large screen as on an iPad.  Think about it: it's nicer to look at a full frame camera's viewfinder compared to an APS-C camera's viewfinder, thanks to the difference in viewfinder screen size, isn't it?  Now just apply that to a smart phone or compact camera's screen vs the huge iPad screen!  The difference in size is quite dramatic, and obviously the experience of looking at it will be effected by this!

ljfinger wrote:

JoeR wrote:

Photography is changing. Get used to it or get left behind. The smart phones and pads out sell DSLRs and are so much easier to use.

And are just this side of useless.

Seriously?  LOL.  You just said that?  LOL.  Get with the times, pal.  Do a quick search on the huge variety of ways people are using iPads and other tablets, not only for recreational purposes, but also for work and enterprise purposes, too.

Unskilled photographers do well to use them.

You mean, they do better than when they use nothing at all. Barely.

Yeah, that's not an elitist, narrow-minded statement.  LOL.  You need to relax and have a more open mind.  Just because someone chooses to do something differently than you doesn't mean that they are "barely...[doing] better than when they use nothing at all."  People used to think that anyone using a phone to capture a photo was just producing pure rubbish, but today I see fantastic photos being produced by phones all the time...and by people who may have the eye for imagery but maybe not the technical knowledge to use a dedicated camera.  That's fine, and that's great, because it means more people-- regardless of technical skill level-- can partake in photography.

donaldsc wrote:

Actually, I often see people taking pictures at National Parks w their tablets. First of all, who lugs a tablet w them as they walk around a National Park? Where do you stow the thing? Compared w a P&S, how vulnerable to damage is the tablet. Compared to the cost of a P&S camera, how expensive is the tablet?

Actually, tablets are far more rugged and durable than people realize.  Put a decent cover or case on it, and it can withstand quite a lot.  Here's an article about iPads used at archeology sites:

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/09/ipad-accompanies-archeologists-pompeii

http://www.diggingthedirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/gallery01-300x199.jpg

http://www.diggingthedirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/gallery03.jpg

http://www.diggingthedirt.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/gallery07.jpg

You also have to realize that tablets are basically universal computing devices that can store maps, trail guides, books and information on wildlife and plant life, etc, etc.  So the reality is that a tablet can be a very valuable thing to have when traveling.  Plus, tablets like the iPad are very thin, and very light, especially compared to devices like a DSLR and DSLR lenses.  There are plenty of people who don't know much of anything about photography, and yet they run out and buy a Canon or Nikon DSLR kit at the local Costco, then just keep it in full Auto mode...do you ask why they are lugging around a DSLR compared to a P&S?  Probably not.

Lee Jay Forum Pro • Posts: 53,204

T3 wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

I take it that you don't own an iPad.

Nor any other iJunk.

There's quite a lot more that you can do with the iPad's much larger screen than you can do with a comparatively small screen on a smart phone. And obviously, there are a ton of things you can do with an iPad that you can't do on a compact camera. Obviously, people will have different preferences as to which devices they choose to use at any given moment. But I do have to say that it's pretty neat to frame an image using such a large screen as on an iPad. Think about it: it's nicer to look at a full frame camera's viewfinder compared to an APS-C camera's viewfinder, thanks to the difference in viewfinder screen size, isn't it?

Not to me.  I prefer my 20D's viewfinder to that of my to that of my 5D.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Lee Jay's gear list:Lee Jay's gear list
Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more

JulesJ wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

glossywhite wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

glossywhite wrote:

I often hear that "The best camera is the one you have with you", so it's a choice of:

1/ Take the photo

2/ Don't take the photo

Choose.

They do look silly, but I'd rather look silly and get a photo than miss it for vanity.

Carry a decent compact, rather than a not nearly compact tablet that has a much poorer camera.

iPad owners have iPads with them, and if they don't have a compact with them... well... come on, think about it.

Stupid thread anyway.

Why would someone buy a yellow car? Why would someone wear an orange hat. You might not want to, but that doesn't mean someone else can't. You don't seem very understanding Ljfinger, I guess you don't have kids!

I have two - 4 and 8.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Canon IXUS 310 HS Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 8-15mm f/4L Fisheye USM +23 more

T3 wrote:

ljfinger wrote:

I'm 42 and a progressive liberal and technologist. I have three technology patents. My grandfather is 96. I could easily live 50 more years. Viewfinders and screens will still be distinct then as they are now. OVF's are by far the best, EVF's are a distant second, and screens are barely usable under the easiest of conditions.

You are the makings of a grouchy old man! Hahaha.

Time to join the 21st century. Look all around you. Electronic screens are being used to "find the view" everywhere you look, whether it be with the latest mobile devices, or dedicated video cameras, or point-n-shoot cameras, or DSLR videography, or MILC's, etc, etc, etc.

So what?  Lots of people are also listening to mp3s on the useless ear buds that come with their phones.  I promise you that my home audio system sound's far, far better.

Just because lots of people do it doesn't mean it's any good.  In fact the opposite is usually the case - consumer masses usually gravitate to the lowest cost - and lowest quality - solution.  Remember the number one restaurant in the word is McDonalds!

The reality is that EVF/screen "viewfinder" cameras far outnumber optical viewfinder cameras these days, and the margin will only increase as time and technology moves forward. Cling to your conservative ideas and notions all you want, but the world is moving on. To say silly, foolish, and completely erroneous things like "screens are barely usable under the easiest of conditions" is to completely ignore the fact that millions and millions of people are taking great photos in all kinds of conditions with all kinds of "screen" cameras, from compact cameras to smart phone cameras. If you don't see this, it means you're clearly out of touch with modern times, or just have your head buried in the sand.

Just got a galaxy S3 (see open talk for my test).

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads