Einstein 640

Started Dec 25, 2012 | Discussions
Christopher D Mann Regular Member • Posts: 459
Einstein 640

Merry Christmas everyone,  My wife really surprised me today. Today is my 50th birthday and she knows that I have been wanting one of the Einstein flash strobes for some time know. Well I was very surprised this morning when I received it for a present. She is pretty cool to do this or me. I'm a really lucky guy. I also wanted to know if anyone has used the power tracking feature with the PW Mini TT1 or Flex TT5 units and this flash. Looks like it would make things very simple. Thanks.

Christopher D Mann's gear list:Christopher D Mann's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Nik Silver Efex Pro
Jack A. Zucker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,539
Re: Einstein 640

Christopher D Mann wrote:

Merry Christmas everyone, My wife really surprised me today. Today is my 50th birthday and she knows that I have been wanting one of the Einstein flash strobes for some time know. Well I was very surprised this morning when I received it for a present. She is pretty cool to do this or me. I'm a really lucky guy. I also wanted to know if anyone has used the power tracking feature with the PW Mini TT1 or Flex TT5 units and this flash. Looks like it would make things very simple. Thanks.

Congrats. I love my einsteins. The one drawback with the PW setup is that you can only manipulate 6 stops worth of range. I prefer the cyber remotes for that reason.

bestairet Junior Member • Posts: 49

Only One! Oh No! 

OP Christopher D Mann Regular Member • Posts: 459

Do you have anything to contribute to the conversation or not?

Canon EOS 5DS R Tamron SP 70-200mm F/2.8 Di VC USD Canon EF 24-105mm F4L IS II USM Nik Silver Efex Pro
bestairet Junior Member • Posts: 49

Yes, congratulations on your wife's gift to you.

I was saying "only one?" and I was joking with you.

You can do much with one, even more with two or more; that's all.

pursang Regular Member • Posts: 232

Robin Tribuzi Dance Troupe

Merry Christmas everyone, My wife really surprised me today. Today is my 50th birthday and she knows that I have been wanting one of the Einstein flash strobes for some time know. Well I was very surprised this morning when I received it for a present. She is pretty cool to do this or me. I'm a really lucky guy. I also wanted to know if anyone has used the power tracking feature with the PW Mini TT1 or Flex TT5 units and this flash. Looks like it would make things very simple. Thanks.

A very nice wife indeed! You will love your new Einstein. I use them exclusively in my commercial and personal work. I was a 'former' PW user, but I have sold all of my PW gear because I was very unhappy with the lack of performance. I had originally purchased them to use for both my Canon Speed Lights and my Einsteins.

I only use Paul's CyberCommander units now. I would suggest you purchase his CyberCommander along with his CyberSync Transceiver that plugs directly into the Einstein unit. You can then control everything but channel from the CyberCommander. Since you only have one unit (right now!) it may not be a big deal for you to walk over to your Einstein to adjust settings. But if you have the light high, or out of reach you will find the time savings and convenience of controlling everything from the unit remarkable. Although you can place the CyberCommander on the hotshoe of your camera, I would suggest also getting his CyberSync Trigger Transmitter. It's much smaller than the CyberCommander and I prefer it on my camera.

It's also so convenient to be able to meter your Einstein right from the CyberCommander. I have a Sekonic 358 I use for those times when I am not using Einsteins and have calibrated both units to match readings.

One of the absolute strongest aspects of his Einsteins is the stopping power of his short flash duration. I shoot quite a bit of dance as well as Cirque du Soleil performers and having the ability to freeze action is paramount for those sessions. Combining the short flash duration with remarkable recycle times is just stunning.

Have a great time experimenting and using your new strobe!

Warmly,

Mark

Bernard Hazen, Teatro ZinZanni juggler

Chris DeVera - professional martial artist

Robyn Tribuzi Dance Troupe

pursang's gear list:pursang's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS-1D X Pentax 645Z Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +17 more

Sorry bestaired, Bad day.

Mark, Thanks for sharing the shots. I really like the second one. Can I ask you what problems were you having with the pocket wizards? I have a plus III and have the Mini TT1 on the way from B&H. I want to get the power MC2 for Einstein also so I will have power tracking capability. Looks like a very usable feature. I noticed your camera info also. Were you trying to use PW with 1DX. I dont believe they are compatible yet.

Mark, Thanks for sharing the shots. I really like the second one. Can I ask you what problems were you having with the pocket wizards? I have a plus III and have the Mini TT1 on the way from B&H. I want to get the power MC2 for Einstein also so I will have power tracking capability. Looks like a very usable feature. I noticed your camera info also. Were you trying to use PW with 1DX. I dont believe they are compatible yet.

I had originally purchased the PW Flex system for my Canon speed lights. I had an awful time getting them to work consistently. LPA sent me those silly socks to put on the flash units, still didn't make much difference. Went into my drawer and every time a new firmware update came out I'd try and still no luck. Bought one of their hard shields and worked better, except I use external power packs and they didn't manufacture them to fit an external pack. So I had to buy an extension unit. In short the units didn't work well and I gave up and sold all of my LPA stuff and will never return.

No, I didn't use it on the 1DX since I sold all of that PW crap before I got my new rig. I never considered the MC2 unit since Paul's Cyber gear works perfectly.

Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS-1D X Pentax 645Z Canon EOS-1D X Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM +17 more

How durible is the Cyber Comander. I looked at it just online and wonder about its build quality. The two small adjustment knobs at the bottom look like they could break easily. I have also read about people using it outdoors and stating that the screen is hard to see. I do a lot of location shooting so that why I went PW.

How durible is the Cyber Comander. I looked at it just online and wonder about its build quality. The two small adjustment knobs at the bottom look like they could break easily. I have also read about people using it outdoors and stating that the screen is hard to see. I do a lot of location shooting so that why I went PW.

Hard to say how durable they are. I keep mine in a pelican case when I'm not shooting, otherwise it sits in my pocket. It is hard to see outdoors but with the brightness turned all the way up, it's manageable. For me, the fact that PW can only adjust a partial range of the lights is a deal-killer.

I did have some recent strange behavior. At a photosession, the cyber trigger was misfiring (not triggering about 1 out of ever 20 shots). Then it started triggering only one of the 4 lights I was using. When the latter problem started occuring, I could not get it to trigger the other 3 lights no matter what I did. During the time this was going on, my cyber commander was consistently triggering all the flashes! I changed the battery in the trigger  and it started working again. Later, on the phone with tech support we determined that the original battery was not the issue but the only thing they could guess was that there was a frequency conflict or a problem with the hot shoe contact on the bottom of the trigger so they recommended I change everything over from freq 9 to 1.

They suggested also to try the cyber commander in the hot shoe next time as well.

I have another session scheduled for saturday. Hopefully, I don't see the problem again.

Hey Christopher,

I have used my PCB gear commercially for 2.5 years now and have never had an issue with durability. Since I travel extensively for my commercial work I'm not easy on my gear, but do take precautions to ensure that my stuff does not have to endure undo abuse. I would estimate that I've done about 400 commercial shoots with the CyberCommander and have not had one malfunction with the buttons. I shoot about 80% of my commercial work in studio, but an equal amount of personal work outdoors. In direct sunlight the display fades, but it's nothing my hand shading the unit won't resolve. Here is a link to how I pack my gear for travel.

Everyone gets to choose the gear that works best for their application. I have found that I much prefer PCB's stuff over LPA's equipment. Because I depend on the gear to function consistently it's key that I can count on what I use. Plus the customer service I've received from PCB's staff is WORLDS APART from the total lack of customer service I DIDN'T get from LPA. But again, each person's experience may be different. I just know what works for me.

Thanks for your reply and the link. The nice thing is that buying the Mini TT1 from B&H is that I have thirty days to try it out and if I don't like it then just return it to them for a refund. Wanted to ask you if you have. Used the built in meter on the Cyber commander. With your Einstein And if you have how accurate to you find it be.

Thanks for your reply and the link. The nice thing is that buying the Mini TT1 from B&H is that I have thirty days to try it out and if I don't like it then just return it to them for a refund. Wanted to ask you if you have. Used the built in meter on the Cyber commander. With your Einstein And if you have how accurate to you find it be.

the meter is fairly accurate. Not quite as accurate as my L358 but close. Once it's calibrated to the 358 it sticks fairly close to the 358's readings.

That another reason why I wanted to to try this route first I have a PlusIII also and a 358 meter with the radio unit installed So I can just use the light meter in radio mode to measure the flash.

Hey Chris,

The CyberCommander meter is accurate. I have calibrated it with my Sekonic 358 which by NO MEANS means that it's the holy grail of meters. I've used several meters at the same time under the very same lighting conditions and each of them read just a tad different. Because I'd used the 358 with the PW module installed before I liked the readings/results I was obtaining before switching over to the PCB stuff. Keep in mind that the light dome of the CC is much smaller than the 358 so you need to be more careful when metering.

I'd also like to say that I'm the type of photographer who uses my meter readings as a starting point. Once I get the shot from the meter I decide if I like the 'perfect exposure' or move up or down the EV scale to suit my taste or the mood/taste of the client. In my world a 'perfect histogram' doesn't always make the perfect photo.

Good luck in your decision with whatever you decide to use.

That another reason why I wanted to to try this route first I have a PlusIII also and a 358 meter with the radio unit installed So I can just use the light meter in radio mode to measure the flash.

why would you want to give up 3 stops of range though? I don't even use my 358 anymore. I just use the commander.

Cyber Transmitter just failed

Was acting flakey and misfiring. Went over several diagnostics with technician and now it doesn't work at all. One out of 20 times I push the test button it will fire and curiously, it fires when the button is released, not pressed.

Fortunately, I was able to use cyber commander as a trigger for my session today or else it would be a disaster. So much for it being more reliable than the PW. It's only 1 month old!

So monday, I will try to get a replacement and I'll order a 2nd one as a backup. Grrr...

Re: Cyber Transmitter just failed

That Really stinks. I have been playing around with the Mini TT1 and have found that when I change SS it seems to jump off Chanel's so I will call LPA when I get home and see if they can help. They have been very helpful with answering my questions so far.

Re: Cyber Transmitter just failed

That Really stinks. I have been playing around with the Mini TT1 and have found that when I change SS it seems to jump off Chanel's so I will call LPA when I get home and see if they can help. They have been very helpful with answering my questions so far.

They sent out a replacement yesterday and I also ordered a backup. I have a cyber commander also so when the CST went bad, I put the cyber in the hotshoe but it really cramped my style because I use the commander for metering as well as setting power. This was one case where having an L358 came in handy.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads