SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?

Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions
sharksanks New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Hey! New pictures from my SX50

VisionLight wrote:

sharksanks wrote:

Have you taken any portraits? I am having a difficult time finding the right setting. Also composing the picture takes some time and the subjects just become disinterested, hehe.

Checked my SX50 files and saw that, no, I haven't recorded a single portrait with it. That's probably because when I have my SX50 with me, I also have my S100. And the mid to upper zoom range of the S100 (50mm to 100mm FF equiv.) is perfect for taking natural portraits with proper perspective.

Although there are many "rules" for taking portraits that cover lighting and pose, those come with practice with a willing and patient subject. Some people use a mannequin for this stage to test their capabilities and ideas. But probably the best advice I can give you is to engage your subjects and have fun. One of the best tools for photographic portraiture is conversation with encouragement. Unlike a professional model, your friends and family may not understand your directions, so you have to set the mood with your conversation and let them react. It may not get the exact pose you want, but they will feel like a more relaxed partner in the sitting rather than just a subject and will become more themselves. And together, you'll be creating wonderful portraits.

Vision

Hey Vision,

Thanks for the advice. It really helped me take candid, "real" pictures without the fake smiles and my family didn't mind waiting for me to get the perfect setting when I couldn't afford a higher shutter speed.

But when i was trying to capture wedding ceremonies at my home, barely 10% pictures were usable. I was not getting any good pictures using flash at the first power setting. there are many harsh shadows and the faces are too bright with the 2nd setting. So, i had to use a slower shutter speed which in turn caused many many annoying blurs. I'm a little miffed at our camera's aperture limitations.

All decked up!

I wanted to capture a light bokeh, but was unable to. Any ideas?

Indian henna design

Hand over hand

I'm unable to figure out the manual and macro focus modes. So, in auto focus mode, I have to step about 4-5 feet back and then zoom in, or else the pictures are out of focus. What am i doing wrong?

We also hired professional photographers with DSLRs. They used additional lighting. But my family found them annoying as they would interrupt the ceremony or ask people to redo certain things and hold those positions which was quite comical. Nothing natural about it.

Cheers!

VisionLight
OP VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 5,780
Re: Hey! New pictures from my SX50

I'm glad you're more comfortable now taking portraits. And it's probably more fun to do now as well.

Sorry to hear that you had flash problems at the wedding. Although the onboard flash of this camera can do a good job on static subjects from about 2 to 12 feet (as shown in my review), it can be difficult to depend on for varied non-static uses requiring on the fly changes in settings. This is about comparable results to many other P&S cameras that I've seen as well. Although for an important event I would be using my dSLRs, if I had only a P&S like the SX50 available I would switch to a separate flash. I've tested and like the results so far with my Canon 430 because of its versatility within a reasonable size.

Also sorry to hear about the professionalism of the photographers that were hired. There is a time for the photographer(s) to take gentle charge of an event and that is for the formal portraits. ONLY. At all other times, the photographer(s) should be invisible to the participants. Staging shots or annoying participants will many times show up badly in the final product as well. Hopefully not in this case for your event. The best photographer should get this reaction from the bride and groom: "Wow, that shot is wonderful. We didn't even know you took it."

As to your question about bokeh, I wouldn't expect too much from this pin head sensor and "tiny" lens. There is too much going on to correct for inherent diffraction at this level let alone pick up any natural circular diffusion coming off the tiny blades.

And I find macro to be an entire art in itself with this camera. One that doesn't require switching to the "Macro" setting. Maybe I should more often to gather more possibilities for technique, but I like stepping back and using the zoom and close focus distance. Although fine macros can be taken handheld either way, experience in taking macros with many cameras for many years does tell me though that the best ones usually require a tripod (and sometimes rails). Remember, magnification of the image on the sensor also means magnification of any deficiencies like camera shake as well.

By the way, that Indian henna design is a fabulous art and looks like an entire story in itself. Thanks for posting those images.

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
JB Ross New Member • Posts: 3
Re: Techniques for sharp pictures with the SX50

Thank you for your response to my query. You have given me some good base line ideas from which I can branch out once I have had time to "play" with the camera settings. I appreciate your efforts to help others.

I will review your response several times to make sure I understand all of your points.

J. Ross

JB Ross's gear list:JB Ross's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS
Vas182 New Member • Posts: 24

You say you set the SX50 to "range up slowly" I can't find where to set that.

VisionLight

Vas182 wrote:

You say you set the SX50 to "range up slowly" I can't find where to set that.

On Page 118 of the Manual, see the Menu item "Rate of Change" as part of the discussion on ISO/AUTO.

-- hide signature --

Visit the Galleries in my website here:
http://edwardmichaellach.zenfolio.com/
Collections of images by individual cameras can be found here:
http://edwardmichaellach.zenfolio.com/f585961546

Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
Jim Senior Member • Posts: 2,654
Re: SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?

Hi -

Excellent post but most of the images are missing. Is it on my end?

Jim

Jim's gear list:Jim's gear list
Canon PowerShot Pro1 Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II +10 more
VisionLight
Re: SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?

Jim wrote:

Hi -

Jim

Sorry about the missing pictures Jim. Some time in 2014, due to a misunderstanding on my part on how the images were imbedded (or, in this case, not) in the threads, I removed many of the images while cleaning up my Gallery. In a test at the time, I removed a Gallery image that was in another thread and a few days later, that image still remained in that original thread. That led me to believe they were imbedded. It turned out DPR was only doing broken image link maintenance periodically then, so the image only actually remained in cache during that time. As you well know, I could not go back to re-insert the lost images back into the SX50 review due to editing rules here.

A number of people have asked me about this, but I do not know how great the interest still is after all this time. If the interest was high enough, I would consider re-doing the article with all images intact on my nascent Web Site's Blog (see link in my Sig below).

Ed

-- hide signature --

Collections of images by individual cameras can be found here:

Jim Senior Member • Posts: 2,654

VisionLight wrote:

Jim wrote:

Hi -

Jim

Sorry about the missing pictures Jim. Some time in 2014, due to a misunderstanding on my part on how the images were imbedded (or, in this case, not) in the threads, I removed many of the images while cleaning up my Gallery. In a test at the time, I removed a Gallery image that was in another thread and a few days later, that image still remained in that original thread. That led me to believe they were imbedded. It turned out DPR was only doing broken image link maintenance periodically then, so the image only actually remained in cache during that time. As you well know, I could not go back to re-insert the lost images back into the SX50 review due to editing rules here.

A number of people have asked me about this, but I do not know how great the interest still is after all this time. If the interest was high enough, I would consider re-doing the article with all images intact on my nascent Web Site's Blog (see link in my Sig below).

Ed

Honestly, I think that the interest in the SX50HS may have actually grown after the introduction of the SX60HS. You have taken the time to thoroughly research and come to understand the capabilities and limitations of the SX50HS. Your views and commentary are worthwhile and apply to this camera as well as to the small sensor superzooms in general. My vote is that, time permitting on your part, the images would be a welcome addition to your post. Speaking selfishly, I would certainly benefit from them and I'm confident others would as well. Given this, the request is respectfully made.

Jim

Jim's gear list:Jim's gear list
Canon PowerShot Pro1 Fujifilm FinePix F30 Zoom Canon PowerShot G1 X Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Canon G1 X II +10 more
stevenic Senior Member • Posts: 1,459

That's not a mini review, that's a fantastic review. very impressive real world experience of the cameras capabilities. I still marvel nearly 3 years later the canon sx50 is still one of the best superzooms and some would even say still the best allrounder superzoom.

Cheers

Steve.

VisionLight
The 92 images in this article have all now been restored

Based on the requests of many members and other readers over the last two years, I have republished this article on my website with all the 92 original images restored. All test image groups in the article are downloadable. Pictorial example images, which are copyrighted, can not be downloaded. The restoration reverts back to a 4 part series the way this article was originally posted. They can be found in consecutive order in my Blog .

Or you can go to each Part individually:

SX50 Review Part 1: Initial Observations, SX50 vs SX40, and Images

SX50 Review Part 2: 24mm to 100mm and Part 2A: DRC

SX50 Review Part 3: When the Light Goes Down

SX50 Review Part 4: Different Paths to Up Close and Personal

You can navigate between each Part as well using the links at the bottom of each article, or Previous Post/Next Post links.

The SX50 continues to be a very popular camera all around the world and especially with readers here on DPR. I hope everyone continues to find this set of articles useful.

Ed

-- hide signature --

Requested by DPR readers, all website images presented by camera used (newly re-designed):
Links to the newest images and Galleries can be found here:
http://edwardmichaellach.zenfolio.com/p833842176
My current major project to display 35 Years of 35mm Film Photography:
http://edwardmichaellach.zenfolio.com/f420420058

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads