SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?

Started Dec 24, 2012 | Discussions
VisionLight
OP VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 5,776
Re: Techniques for sharp pictures with the SX50

Ketan Buch wrote:

Thanks a ton for your excellant tips & advice. I am going to memorise these tips and use it everytime when taking pictures. Your post has also got me seriously thinking to learn PP which I will surely try my hands on. Thanks once again for all your help in teaching novices like us.

I really enjoy post processing and think you will too. Sometimes just a tiny little adjustment here or there can make a big difference in an image. While too much can make an image look over processed, going further and applying different "too muchs" can transform an image into a whole new visual world.

I'm always happy to try to help new photographers,

Vision

VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
VisionLight
Shameless Bump

Since many people are still toying with their new SX50 cameras and coming to this site for answers, this post is just a shameless bump to get the thread back onto the first page. I also appreciate that people have found it helpful enough that it has made the Bookmark list. Thanks to all for your support.

Vision

Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +14 more
Alex Kozer New Member • Posts: 8
Re: SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?

Many thanks for review! Im choosing one now and such reviews help a lot!

CMaxx2
CMaxx2 Contributing Member • Posts: 907
Re: SX50 Mini-Reviews Christmas Special - Did you find your new camera under the tree?

Thanks so much VL for all the help... But no I did not find mine under the tree I couldn't wait that long..  (-:

-- hide signature --

Sony S75
Sony H1
Sony H2
Sony H5
Canon SX30
Canon SX10
Canon SX40
Canon SX50

CMaxx2's gear list:CMaxx2's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX300
sharksanks New Member • Posts: 10

This was just awesome! this was what I was looking for. I love you pictures and advice. Great work!!

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,474
Thank you Vision

Appreciate your considerable time and huge effort to help all of us interested in the SX50. Well done and very informative..this forums is lucky to have you.

akula57 Regular Member • Posts: 238
Re: Shameless Bump

A well deserved bump.     You put a lot of work into this and it's helpful to me.

VisionLight
Re: Sharksanks, Sactojim and akula57

Sharksanks, Sactojim and akula57,

I appreciate your comments. I'm glad you found the article helpful and hope it gives you some assistance in taking great pictures with the SX50. Would love to see your images that you really like from this camera. Happy shooting.

Vision

Hey! New pictures from my SX50

Hey, Appreciate any feedback!

VisionLight
Re: Hey! New pictures from my SX50

sharksanks wrote:

Hey, Appreciate any feedback!

Sharksanks

I'm a big fan of monochrome and toned monochrome images. It makes one think a lot more about the message of the image without being distracted by ornate colors. I like the first one with the composition accented by the placement of the flying birds. The boat that has fallen on hard times is more distressed by being further lost in a light fog. The fourth image caught my eye for both its starkness and detail brought out by the lighting and ochre tone that accentuates it. The middle flamingos image by the shore, what would usually be a bright and colorful presentation, instead becomes a study on movement and reflection.

Thanks for posting these. Please tell us something about the process you used. Was it all in camera or through post?

Vision

Sactojim Veteran Member • Posts: 8,474

Love this image style..very creative and thanks for posting.

Hello Vision!

Thanks for your review!

Except the boat, all the images were right from the cam.

The 3rd image: the boat, i changed the brightness, contrast and midtones as per my taste.

The 4th image: I was shooting into the sun, maybe thats the reason for the tone. Btw, I still can't figure out what the structure is in the middle of the mudflats in low tide.

I'm embarrassed to say I used the office picture manager to edit. So, I could use some pointers on post!

Cheers

PS - Can you post a picture of your camera case? I'm getting ripped off by the canon dealer here so I want to see what an original looks like.

Baron LaCat Senior Member • Posts: 1,188

Hi Vision

Very new to the SX50 and find your reviews interesting.

Can you please explain about FINE and SUPERFINE, and where to find them in the camera's menu ?

Thanks in advance

Baron

Baron LaCat's gear list:Baron LaCat's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Nikon Coolpix P950
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,337

Func button - scroll down to the setting past the image type (RAW etc) where it says L and press DISP to select fine or superfine ..........

while you`re at it, go to the C setting (for custom colours) select the C option and set the sharpness as low as it`ll go , it`ll kill that ghastly Haloing , i`d set the high ISO NR to LOW too, it`s still too much on low but better

-- hide signature --

** A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
AdamT
AdamT Forum Pro • Posts: 61,337
Lens Hood

I thought it`d be better here as this is the biggest SX50 resource but this lens hood just arrived for £3.14 to the door within the UK .  amazing buy and should help any flare issues (not seen any yet) . BTW mine arrived with Canon printed on it like a real one !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/230705967684?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

-- hide signature --

** A Problem is only the pessimistic way of looking at a challenge **

AdamT's gear list:AdamT's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon D3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9
VisionLight

Baron LaCat wrote:

Hi Vision

Very new to the SX50 and find your reviews interesting.

Can you please explain about FINE and SUPERFINE, and where to find them in the camera's menu ?

To add to Adam's answer and suggestions about other settings, the difference between Fine and Superfine are the JPEG compression ratios. Fine is a 3/13 compression ratio which loses a little more fine data than the Superfine's 5/15 compression ratio. Because Superfine doesn't compress as much data, the file sizes are bigger. As seen from the tests early in my review, there is not a lot of practical difference, but there IS a difference and with a small sensor, every little bit helps. So I keep Superfine set as my default.

As far as the "C" settings Adam mentions, it's a good idea for everyone to move these around and test them out. You'll get a feeling for what works best for your particular way of shooting. A good majority of the time, the standard (center) settings work fine, but in many cases as well for post processors, moving some down and then doing it yourself can yield better results. For my normal shooting, I have them set at standard, but my C2 mode settings have them down a notch.

Vision

VisionLight

sharksanks wrote:

PS - Can you post a picture of your camera case? I'm getting ripped off by the canon dealer here so I want to see what an original looks like.

This is the case I use for my SX50. I used it previouslly fo rmy SX40, but the slightly smaller SX50 fits even better and the camera can be easily grabbed in shooting position from my waist with my right hand.

http://www.caselogic.com/en-US/US/Products/Camera-Cases/High-Zoom-Camera-Cases/DCB_-_304_-_BLACK_-__-_HighZoomCameraCase

Post processing is a fun skill once you find a program that you feel comfortable using. As mentioned previously, I use Photoshop CS6 (recently upgraded from CS5) because of the vast featureset and because it supports 30 bit processing in OpenGL mode on my high end workstations. But it is an expensive deal and has a high learning curve. Photoshop Elements (current version is 11) is much less expensive and can always be found on sale. It has a lot of the features of PhotoshopCS, especially the basic and middle level ones, and a lot of automation for the beginner. You may like it. But others here may suggest other programs to start with that I may have tried or tested earlier versions of, but no longer use. One of these in their latest version may also fit your needs well.

Vision

Baron LaCat Senior Member • Posts: 1,188

OK thanks so much for your input

Baron

Baron LaCat's gear list:Baron LaCat's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Sony RX100 VII Nikon Coolpix P950

VisionLight wrote:

sharksanks wrote:

This is the case I use for my SX50. I used it previouslly fo rmy SX40, but the slightly smaller SX50 fits even better and the camera can be easily grabbed in shooting position from my waist with my right hand.

http://www.caselogic.com/en-US/US/Products/Camera-Cases/High-Zoom-Camera-Cases/DCB_-_304_-_BLACK_-__-_HighZoomCameraCase

Post processing is a fun skill once you find a program that you feel comfortable using. As mentioned previously, I use Photoshop CS6 (recently upgraded from CS5) because of the vast featureset and because it supports 30 bit processing in OpenGL mode on my high end workstations. But it is an expensive deal and has a high learning curve. Photoshop Elements (current version is 11) is much less expensive and can always be found on sale. It has a lot of the features of PhotoshopCS, especially the basic and middle level ones, and a lot of automation for the beginner. You may like it. But others here may suggest other programs to start with that I may have tried or tested earlier versions of, but no longer use. One of these in their latest version may also fit your needs well.

Vision

Hey Vision,

Thanks for the picture of the case. I finally got 1 that's made specifically for the SX50.

I need to start spending some time on learning post processing. I downloaded the GIMP. I'll also look at photoshop. Thanks for the suggestions.

Have you taken any portraits? I am having a difficult time finding the right setting. Also composing the picture takes some time and the subjects just become disinterested, hehe.

Cheers!

VisionLight

sharksanks wrote:

Have you taken any portraits? I am having a difficult time finding the right setting. Also composing the picture takes some time and the subjects just become disinterested, hehe.

Checked my SX50 files and saw that, no, I haven't recorded a single portrait with it.  That's probably because when I have my SX50 with me, I also have my S100. And the mid to upper zoom range of the S100 (50mm to 100mm FF equiv.) is perfect for taking natural portraits with proper perspective.

Although there are many "rules" for taking portraits that cover lighting and pose, those come with practice with a willing and patient subject. Some people use a mannequin for this stage to test their capabilities and ideas. But probably the best advice I can give you is to engage your subjects and have fun. One of the best tools for photographic portraiture is conversation with encouragement. Unlike a professional model, your friends and family may not understand your directions, so you have to set the mood with your conversation and let them react. It may not get the exact pose you want, but they will feel like a more relaxed partner in the sitting rather than just a subject and will become more themselves. And together, you'll be creating wonderful portraits.

Vision

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads