Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video

Started Dec 22, 2012 | Discussions
mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
14

I finally created the first of several Panasonic GH3 tips and tricks videos. I will create more of these as time allows. For now this video goes over the items below. Make sure you watch it all the way through. At the end I discuss some of the issues that the GH3 currently has. If anyone discovers any workarounds for these issues please let us know.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIMdxoGbNXU

  1. Moire really is not a deal breaker with the GH3. It can appear. However, you can make it happen in the GH2 as well. You just have to try to avoid it if you are using sharp m4/3s lenses. It really isn’t as big an issue as we originally thought.
  2. Auto and Intelligent ISO can now be set to as high as ISO 12,800 instead of just ISO 3200. This is a big improvement for the Program priority mode which wouldn’t use a fast enough shutter speed on the GH2.
  3. The extra two custom function dial settings that the GH3 has is a big improvement over the 3 in the GH2. I setup C1 with Program Priority for stills. C2 with Shutter Priority for stills, C3-1 with Shutter priority for video, C3-2 with Full manual control for astro photography, and C2-3 with the high dynamic color mode just for fun.
  4. All of the new color modes are actually pretty good. Portrait has the most dynamic range. However, Vivid gives the lowest shadow noise and Scenery looked be the most natural to my eyes. This is all subjective though. Color choice is all up to preference.
  5. I love how you can customize what settings appear and in what order on the quick menu. That is a fantastic new feature.
  6. ISO 6400 is completely usable on the GH3 just like it is on the OMD. In addition ISO 12,800 is now usable for web delivery and maybe small sized prints when you are in desperate conditions.
  7. The new AFF single box auto focus is very good. In addition the face detection auto focus works well when there is only a single person in the frame. If there are multiple people it is hard for the camera to know which one to focus on.
  8. You can setup a Function button to change the Auto Focus. In manual focus mode it automatically will bring up the new focus assist zoom preview. I like the new center zoom with normal outside edge for focusing.
  9. The 35-100mm F2.8 is not parfocal. If you zoom in manual focus mode it will go in and out of focus. However, in Auto Focus mode it will correct for these little errors.
  10. 1080p @ 60 FPS is excellent for almost any video situation except for when you need to match film frame rate.
  11. 1080p @ 24 FPS all I and 50 mb/sec are both great. I find it hard to tell the difference between them.
  12. ETC will not work in any of the 60 FPS modes. You must use the 1080p @ 30/24 FPS or 720p @ 30 FPS modes to use ETC.
  13. The AVC-HD modes are useless to me because the .mov modes offer higher bit rates and are easier to find the files. However, AVC-HD might be useful for those that need native compatibility with another device.
  14. The electronic shutter mode cannot use over ISO 1600 or more than 1 second of shutter duration. It also can show skew when there is subject motion. It is not quite as useful as I thought it would be.
  15. The burst mode buffer clearing is probably the single biggest improvement over the GH2. Burst mode is now very useful even in JPG+RAW mode.
  16. Focus tracking is enabled in video mode. However, it still isn’t reliable enough to depend on it.

GH3 Issues

  1. The flash sensor is too sensitive and it can be confused and think the flash is open when it is not. It can actually fire the flash when it is closed and it will partially pop itself up when this happens. This needs to be resolved. I hope a firmware fix can change the way the sensor acts. I don’t want to have to send my camera in for repairs.
  2. Without a doubt the GH3 has a halo issue with the EVF. If you turn your eye slightly the edges will form halos. I don’t use the EVF so it doesn’t bother me. However, if you do use it a lot you should definitely have a look at the video and see if this will be an issue for you.
  3. The single exposure JPG mode blacks out the screen way too long if your ISO is at or above ISO 3200. If you shoot single RAW images instead it will not black out the screen for as much time. Also if you shoot in burst mode it will not have this issue.
  4. The flash exposure cannot be set with a Function button. You must navigate through the menu to change this setting.
-- hide signature --
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
2

Make sure you book mark this thread in case you need to come back to it in the future.

-- hide signature --
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
sea_dragon Contributing Member • Posts: 756
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
1

Great video!

I haven't noticed the flash sensor problem on my GH3 yet, but I'm glad you pointed it out.  It may be something defective on your particular copy.  My flash sensor shows the flash as closed as soon as I close it half way.  If I wiggle it to the right or left while closed, it doesn't change status.

Thanks for taking the time to do these videos.  Very helpful indeed!

 sea_dragon's gear list:sea_dragon's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ150 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +4 more
Zoeff Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
1

Nice video!

sea_dragon wrote:

Great video!

I haven't noticed the flash sensor problem on my GH3 yet, but I'm glad you pointed it out. It may be something defective on your particular copy. My flash sensor shows the flash as closed as soon as I close it half way. If I wiggle it to the right or left while closed, it doesn't change status.

Thanks for taking the time to do these videos. Very helpful indeed!

Same here. Strange that your copy does that. I'd definitely open a support ticket if I were you.

jim stirling
jim stirling Veteran Member • Posts: 7,356
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video

Zoeff wrote:

Nice video!

sea_dragon wrote:

Great video!

I haven't noticed the flash sensor problem on my GH3 yet, but I'm glad you pointed it out. It may be something defective on your particular copy. My flash sensor shows the flash as closed as soon as I close it half way. If I wiggle it to the right or left while closed, it doesn't change status.

Thanks for taking the time to do these videos. Very helpful indeed!

Same here. Strange that your copy does that. I'd definitely open a support ticket if I were you.

Same here on both bodies , I wokeep also see about it as this could be a real problem

 jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 +12 more
Zoeff Regular Member • Posts: 141
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
1

mpgxsvcd wrote:

The flash exposure cannot be set with a Function button. You must navigate through the menu to change this setting.

Actually, if you have "Auto Exposure Comp" set to ON in the flash menu you can use the top scroll wheel to adjust the flash output relative to the metered amount after pressing the exposure comp button (The back scroll wheel adjusts the regular exposure comp). In manual mode however the top scroll wheel doesn't change the flash output in any way and you really do have to delve into a sub-sub-menu just to change the output which is just silly. I'd expect it to give me the option to change the luminosity ratio...

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,532
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
1

That's a terrific video, thanks!   I know that putting these things together takes a lot more effort than it looks, so I really appreciate the trouble you've gone through to do this.

Looking forward to the follow-ons!

OP mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
1

Zoeff wrote:

mpgxsvcd wrote:

The flash exposure cannot be set with a Function button. You must navigate through the menu to change this setting.

Actually, if you have "Auto Exposure Comp" set to ON in the flash menu you can use the top scroll wheel to adjust the flash output relative to the metered amount after pressing the exposure comp button (The back scroll wheel adjusts the regular exposure comp). In manual mode however the top scroll wheel doesn't change the flash output in any way and you really do have to delve into a sub-sub-menu just to change the output which is just silly. I'd expect it to give me the option to change the luminosity ratio...

Perfect! You get a gold star. Thank you for pointing this out. That is exactly correct. It works in every mode but manual. With the GH2 I could control it in manual mode. It would be nice to be able to control it with the GH3 as well.

This is exactly the kind of thing that this thread is for. I can't test everything and the knowledge sharing will get everything sorted out faster.

-- hide signature --
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
jim stirling
jim stirling Veteran Member • Posts: 7,356
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
1

jim stirling wrote:

Zoeff wrote:

Nice video!

sea_dragon wrote:

Great video!

I haven't noticed the flash sensor problem on my GH3 yet, but I'm glad you pointed it out. It may be something defective on your particular copy. My flash sensor shows the flash as closed as soon as I close it half way. If I wiggle it to the right or left while closed, it doesn't change status.

Thanks for taking the time to do these videos. Very helpful indeed!

Same here. Strange that your copy does that. I'd definitely open a support ticket if I were you.

Same here on both bodies , I wokeep also see about it as this could be a real problem

I am not sure how the Ipad managed to change would to wokeep , it has a life of its own lol

Jim

 jim stirling's gear list:jim stirling's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Nikon D810 +12 more
guybie Contributing Member • Posts: 850
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video

Thanks for the great tip! This is so useful.

Can someone help me with this one:

When i use AFF, burstrate is very slow, not so with AFS.

 guybie's gear list:guybie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic FZ2500 Sony a9 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +4 more
mortyski
mortyski Regular Member • Posts: 170
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video

Thanks for this review very informative

-- hide signature --

Panasonic G3, 20, 14-42, 45-200, 45-175
Canon 1D Mark 2 N ,Canon 7D, Canon 20 D, Canon G9, G10, Canon G1X
Sony HDR-HC3
Panasonic video cam
100-400 F4.5/5.6 L IS, 70-200 F2.8L, 24-70 F2.8 L
1.4 TC Canon II, 480 flash
various think tank bags and way too many memory cards

 mortyski's gear list:mortyski's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Canon PowerShot G9 Canon PowerShot G1 X Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark II N +18 more
OP mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
1

guybie wrote:

Thanks for the great tip! This is so useful.

Can someone help me with this one:

When i use AFF, burstrate is very slow, not so with AFS.

AFS is single auto focus. Therefore, it does not have to refocus inbetween each burst picture. The burst speed will be fastest in AFS and Manual focus modes.

AFF is continuous auto focus but it does not predict motion. AFC is also continuous auto focus but it predicts the motion. Therefore, AFC could be slightly slower than AFF for burst shooting. However, AFC is the better choice for fast motion in a continuous line(ie: Sports, Trains...etc).

-- hide signature --
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
guybie Contributing Member • Posts: 850
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
1

Thanks for the clear explanation...

 guybie's gear list:guybie's gear list
Olympus XZ-2 iHS Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic FZ2500 Sony a9 Tamron SP 24-70mm F2.8 Di VC USD +4 more
OP mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Noise Reduction Samples
2

Here are samples of the Portrait color mode with Noise Reduction from -5 through +5. Personally I use -5 for almost everything. However +2 does a good job of getting rid of all noise if noise reduction is your absolute priority.

Click on the gallery link below the picture to see all 11 samples.



+5 Noise Reduction

+2 Noise Reduction

Zero Noise Reduction

-5 Noise Reduction

-- hide signature --
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
OP mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
GH3 ISO Samples
2

Here are all of the ISO values from ISO 125 through ISO 25,600.

Click on the gallery link to see all of the samples.



ISO 25,600

ISO 12,800

ISO 6400



ISO 125

ISO 160

ISO 200

-- hide signature --
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
OP mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Blackout samples
2

I have shot several different pictures at ISO 2500 and ISO 3200 to see what the difference is when the screen blacks out for a longer period of time. It appears to be that additional noise reduction is being done when the screen blacks out longer.

There are ISO 2500 and ISO 3200 samples below. There are also some ISO 3200 samples in burst mode that do not show the additional noise reduction. In addition if you shoot 3 pictures in single shot mode consecutively the first picture will have the NR and the other two will not.

I hope Panasonic removes this NR feature. If I turn off NR I want it to be off all of the time. I don't want the camera to ignore my request.



-- hide signature --
 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
OP mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Re: Blackout samples
1

There appears to be an issue with how it stores the manual movie modes in the custom settings. You cannot switch from shutter priority to any of the other modes when stored as a custom setting.

It really appears to just be a bug in the firmware. Definitely going to need an update to fix this. I will try to put a video together for that one.

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
OP mpgxsvcd Veteran Member • Posts: 8,094
Re: Viewfinder Burn-in
1

Another important thing to remember is that the viewfinder LCD is not actually an LCD. It is an OLED. That means that it is subject to burn in.

Please don't leave the same thing displaying on the viewfinder for long periods of time. You really don't want to get burn in effects.

 mpgxsvcd's gear list:mpgxsvcd's gear list
Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus PEN E-PM2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 8,694
Re: Panasonic GH3 Tips and Tricks Setup Guide Video
1

Thanks very much, I have bookmarked this thread as I will be getting the GH3 at some point soon, and your tips are extremely useful.

I am concerned about the EVF smearing, but I was interested in your statement about the GH2 doing it also...I have just never noticed it on the GH2.  Perhaps that means I will not be particularly sensitive to it on the GH3....Ah well, time will tell

-J

Sean Nelson
Sean Nelson Forum Pro • Posts: 12,532
Re: Viewfinder Burn-in

mpgxsvcd wrote:

Another important thing to remember is that the viewfinder LCD is not actually an LCD. It is an OLED. That means that it is subject to burn in.

Ah, something I had forgotten about.   Thanks very much for reminding me about this!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads