RRS or Markins L-Plate ?

Started Dec 21, 2012 | Discussions
Digitalshooter2 Contributing Member • Posts: 584
RRS or Markins L-Plate ?

I just bought Markins Q-Ball Q3 Traveler w/ Knob Release for GT1542T Series 1 tripod.  I need to buy a Quick Release L-Plate for my 5D Mark II camera without the Battery Grip.

Should I buy RRS or Markins L-Plate?  They are both $140.  So same price.  Not sure which way to go.  Is there a place where I can pick up a used one to save some money?

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Canon EOS 5D Mark II
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alberto Tanikawa
Alberto Tanikawa Senior Member • Posts: 1,944
Re: RRS or Markins L-Plate ?

Sometimes if you are very lucky you may find a RRS plate at B&H's used items store. But if you buy new, price wise I'd get the RRS. Including shipping, the RRS plate comes out ~$2 cheaper. The Markins plate however has an opening on the top so you can thread your neck strap through - seems to add just a tad more security (subjective), but maybe a bit of inconvenience when removing the plate from the camera. All the RRS plates comes with a hex key to attach the plates to your camera; Markins charges $2 for the key. The RRS plate seems a bit bulkier on the vertical side compared to the Markins, but Markins' website doesn't have photos from other angles for better comparison.

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

OP Digitalshooter2 Contributing Member • Posts: 584

Alberto Tanikawa wrote:

Sometimes if you are very lucky you may find a RRS plate at B&H's used items store. But if you buy new, price wise I'd get the RRS. Including shipping, the RRS plate comes out ~$2 cheaper. The Markins plate however has an opening on the top so you can thread your neck strap through - seems to add just a tad more security (subjective), but maybe a bit of inconvenience when removing the plate from the camera. All the RRS plates comes with a hex key to attach the plates to your camera; Markins charges $2 for the key. The RRS plate seems a bit bulkier on the vertical side compared to the Markins, but Markins' website doesn't have photos from other angles for better comparison.

Great description of the differences.  Since my Markins Q3t ballhead is all Markins with screw knob release would there be any compatability issue with RRS L-plate?  I like the look of RRS plate better than Markins but just worried about the compatibility...

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Alberto Tanikawa

They should all be Arca Swiss compatible, and further, since you have a screw knob clamp, not a lever release, there should be no compatibility problems that I foresee. I have a Markins Q10 ballhead and an RRS lever clamp. There would have been issues if I used plates from another manufacturer, as the lever clamp may not tighten on plates that may be slightly smaller than RRS'.

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

Alberto Tanikawa wrote:

They should all be Arca Swiss compatible, and further, since you have a screw knob clamp, not a lever release, there should be no compatibility problems that I foresee. I have a Markins Q10 ballhead and an RRS lever clamp. There would have been issues if I used plates from another manufacturer, as the lever clamp may not tighten on plates that may be slightly smaller than RRS'.

Thanks for the info.  I called RRS just to be sure that L-plate for my camera was in stock and they said it was.  I ordered it and should have it in my hands by next week.  I can't wait

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Just received RRS L-plate.  But Markins' shipment is delayed till Friday   The Q3T will be here on Friday.  Already have tripod in heand.  Will report back once all parts are here and ready for testing.

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

akustykmagmanetpl Contributing Member • Posts: 885

Alberto Tanikawa wrote:

They should all be Arca Swiss compatible,

this is true but it only means that the rail and clamp fit each other. unfortunately, different producers use different designs, especially when it comes to lock/protection systems and there can be some issues/inconveniences/problems when mixing certain hardware. see:

http://www.afximages.com/stuff/arca-plates-xref.html

for examples of some known/tested combination.

I myself have Sirui and Benro ballheads, Kirk L-bracket and Benro/Sirui plates. all of those are Arca-Swiss compatible, but because of the bloody "safety pin" thing of Sirui, there are minor problems, i.e. to use Benro plates (which I very much like) I had to remove safety screws. and Kirk's L-bracket has tripod mount grove right where the ballhead base has the pin which means that for horizontal photos L-bracket has to be inserted into rail rather than slid into, otherwise lens and ballhead are not aligned properly. minor issue, but with Benro ballhead this is not present.

anyway, for all combination clamp/plate of RRS and Marking the chart above indicates no problem...

akustykmagmanetpl's gear list:akustykmagmanetpl's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel T6i Canon 6D Mark II Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM +8 more
Alberto Tanikawa

akustykmagmanetpl wrote:

Alberto Tanikawa wrote:

this is true but it only means that the rail and clamp fit each other. unfortunately, different producers use different designs, especially when it comes to lock/protection systems and there can be some issues/inconveniences/problems when mixing certain hardware. see:

I myself have Sirui and Benro ballheads, Kirk L-bracket and Benro/Sirui plates. all of those are Arca-Swiss compatible, but because of the bloody "safety pin" thing of Sirui, there are minor problems, i.e. to use Benro plates (which I very much like) I had to remove safety screws. and Kirk's L-bracket has tripod mount grove right where the ballhead base has the pin which means that for horizontal photos L-bracket has to be inserted into rail rather than slid into, otherwise lens and ballhead are not aligned properly. minor issue, but with Benro ballhead this is not present.

anyway, for all combination clamp/plate of RRS and Marking the chart above indicates no problem...

By themI meant Markins and RRS clamps and plates. Thanks for the link though "Arca Swiss compatible" should be a standard with predefined measurements and specifications that all these manufacturers should adhere to, like the ISO 518 for hot shoes design. But even hot shoes and feet aren't created equal, with slight variance that makes some accessories wiggle in place more than others.

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

Alberto Tanikawa

Patience is a virtue... that I don't care much for Hang in there, it should be worth the wait. The satin finish on the Q3 is very nice and tough. Once my RRS lever clamp rotated freely and the stainless steel lever hit the side of my Q10, leaving a slight blemish. I wiped my finger over the blemish and it was gone. No trace of it. Hard anodizing really pays off.

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

dpdphoto Regular Member • Posts: 170
Re: RRS or Markins L-Plate ? Kirk is a good option

When I got my Canon 20D I bought a RRS BH55 and then soon after bought their L bracket for non-grip configuration. It didn't have enough room for the cable release connector so I sent it back and bought a Kirk. It worked fine; had enough room for the connector. So, when I bought my 5DII I went right to Kirk for the L bracket. I've since seent theRRS  L bracket on a 5DIII and it seems that RRS has learned it's lesson...they have adequate clearance for the cable release connection.

akustykmagmanetpl wrote:

Alberto Tanikawa wrote:

Thank you for the chart. It puts my fears to rest. My wife just called and told me that UPS just delivered the Markins ballhead. Woo Hoo! I will heading home shortly to play with my new toy

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Re: RRS L-Plate with Markins Q3t Ballhead; How to slide the plate in with the safety-pin?

I received RRS L-plate to use with Markins' Q3t Ballhead. Both look and finction great. I do have a dilemma though. Markins Q3t comes with a safety pin and I cannot slide the RRS plate in becuase of it. I can open the clamp all the way and insert from the top just fine but it slows down the process a bit. Any suggestions on how to deal with it ?

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Alberto Tanikawa
Re: RRS L-Plate with Markins Q3t Ballhead; How to slide the plate in with the safety-pin?

That's the safety part to prevent the camera from sliding out if the clamp is loosened slightly, only allowing removal by opening the clamp fully as you pointed out. I'm not sure if the safety pin can be removed, but if it becomes too much of a nuisance to you, the clamp can be switched to another of your choosing.

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

Alberto Tanikawa wrote:

That's the safety part to prevent the camera from sliding out if the clamp is loosened slightly, only allowing removal by opening the clamp fully as you pointed out. I'm not sure if the safety pin can be removed, but if it becomes too much of a nuisance to you, the clamp can be switched to another of your choosing.

Okay, I think that makes sense to me.  But RRS plate does not slide in either.  I have to open the clamp and insert it from the top

I guess this is a small price to pay for now to get RRS quality.  Maybe Markins' L-plate would work better.

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Alberto Tanikawa

I don't think so. That's what security pins are meant to do, so you would have had the same issue with Markins' plates, or Kirk's, or other vendors. RRS doesn't offer safety pins, so it's a trade off between safety and convenience.

-- hide signature --

Alberto T.

Alberto Tanikawa wrote:

I don't think so. That's what security pins are meant to do, so you would have had the same issue with Markins' plates, or Kirk's, or other vendors. RRS doesn't offer safety pins, so it's a trade off between safety and convenience.

That makes sense.  It is not common to have problems like this but safety could save from potential problems.  Thanks for putting my concerns to rest.

-- hide signature --

2ShootDigital

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads