Wireless flash triggers that work RELIABLY with XPro1

Started Dec 20, 2012 | Questions
hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,291
Wireless flash triggers that work RELIABLY with XPro1

Is anyone currently using a flash trigger system that works reliably with the XPro1?

I have 4 of the Yongnuo RF-603C that works flawlessly with Canons and used to work ok (70% success rate) with my XPro1. Recently they became very unreliable on my Fuji, not triggering 50% of the time, when they do it's before or after the curtains have closed so no flash would show up in the photo. Note that there's nothing wrong with my flash because it works well when attached directly to the hotshoe.

I'm now ready to spend more on the triggers, but I have to know which one works 100% for the XPro1. So this question is only for people who have actual hands-on experience, please! Range isn't too important but 20-50 meters would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP hellocrowley Senior Member • Posts: 1,291
Re: Wireless flash triggers that work RELIABLY with XPro1

Sorry, wanted to note that my flashes don't have PC sync input, they're triggerable through hotshoe only.

Dennis Brooks Contributing Member • Posts: 869

hellocrowley wrote:

Is anyone currently using a flash trigger system that works reliably with the XPro1?

I have 4 of the Yongnuo RF-603C that works flawlessly with Canons and used to work ok (70% success rate) with my XPro1. Recently they became very unreliable on my Fuji, not triggering 50% of the time, when they do it's before or after the curtains have closed so no flash would show up in the photo. Note that there's nothing wrong with my flash because it works well when attached directly to the hotshoe.

I'm now ready to spend more on the triggers, but I have to know which one works 100% for the XPro1. So this question is only for people who have actual hands-on experience, please! Range isn't too important but 20-50 meters would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

Here you go, perfect fit and fire every time.

http://www.amazon.com/FlashWave-III-Wireless-Receiver-Remote-Trigger/dp/B003K811DY

Cheers,

Dennis.

Dennis Brooks wrote:

http://www.scoop.it/t/fuji-x-pro1/p/1740282629/the-fuji-x-pro1-hand-grip-hg-xpro1-review-patrick-leong?tag=FlashWave

Looks great. I like your photos too! One question though: how do you mount the receiver on a lightstand or L bracket?

hellocrowley wrote:

Dennis Brooks wrote:

http://www.scoop.it/t/fuji-x-pro1/p/1740282629/the-fuji-x-pro1-hand-grip-hg-xpro1-review-patrick-leong?tag=FlashWave

Looks great. I like your photos too! One question though: how do you mount the receiver on a lightstand or L bracket?

Answering my own question. Looks a little scary, especially with heavy flashes.

mr moonlight Senior Member • Posts: 1,789

I use pocket wizards with my xpro1 and they work flawlessly.

mr moonlight wrote:

I use pocket wizards with my xpro1 and they work flawlessly.

Have you tried using them in EVF mode. After extensive testing, I've concluded that the RF-603 works flawlessly except in EVF mode or right after switching out of EVF mode! It would not fire or fire at the wrong time, really strange.

JayKoppelman New Member • Posts: 14

Dennis,

Do you know if this trigger system works with Fuji flashes like the ef-42? Or just Nikon, Canon, etc, flashes?

Thanks!

Yes they do, no ettl though and they work with studio flash systems also.

Cheers,

Dennis.

photocrunch New Member • Posts: 3

I have a XPro1 and I am using Yongnuo Flash Trigger RF-603/C too.  As flash I use Fuji Flash EF-42. Up to now I have not got any problems. On a photo I noticed that you did not use a RF-603/C as transmitter. Different types of Yongnuo are not compatible.

Yongnuo RF-602/C together with Xpro1 did not work so very well, but with RF-603/C I am quite happy and I will buy 4 pieces more of these, as these are so very cheap.

It is quite difficult to get information about which wireless flash trigger will work reliable with Xpro1, but I think that I have found the right one now.

It might be important in what sequence you switch on the different things. I do switch on my camera as the latest and first mount the devices before I switch these on. It would be nice to hear from you.

Photocrunch

All of my 4 transceivers are Yongnuo 603c. I use 1 of them to trigger the others. And I tried swapping them around. Remember I only have problems in EVF mode.

I haven't systematically tried different startup sequences but now that you mention it, I will.

I found out that it is quite important, that you keep the following sequence:

1. Mount transmitter and receiver on the camera and flash

2. Switch on the transmitter as first, both lights on the transmitter must be green. If not switch the camera on and off, then both green lights will be on.

3. Switch on the receiver, both green lights turn on.

4. Turn the camera and flashlight on.

In turning the camera on and off it seems to me that a capacitor in the transmitter is loaded to swiitch the power of the transmitter on.

If you do not switch on your camera now, the capacitor will discharge and the power green light will be disabled again. In that case you have to switch on and off the camera again.

I hope everything is clear now, this method seems to be very reliable and I think it has nothing to do with EVF as I use mostly EVF. I could make photos up to 1/300 s.

Thanks Photocrunch.

MonochromeSet Regular Member • Posts: 104
 MonochromeSet's gear list:MonochromeSet's gear list
Fujifilm X100F Fujifilm X-Pro2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +3 more
jonnie burtoft Contributing Member • Posts: 534

Hi, I use a set of wireless triggers by strobeam, they work flawlessly for me on the x-pro1. They are small and cheap, £40 from wex. Not used them over long distances though, usually a distance of 5-10 meters. Cheers Jon

photocrunch wrote:

I found out that it is quite important, that you keep the following sequence:

1. Mount transmitter and receiver on the camera and flash

2. Switch on the transmitter as first, both lights on the transmitter must be green. If not switch the camera on and off, then both green lights will be on.

3. Switch on the receiver, both green lights turn on.

4. Turn the camera and flashlight on.

In turning the camera on and off it seems to me that a capacitor in the transmitter is loaded to swiitch the power of the transmitter on.

If you do not switch on your camera now, the capacitor will discharge and the power green light will be disabled again. In that case you have to switch on and off the camera again.

I hope everything is clear now, this method seems to be very reliable and I think it has nothing to do with EVF as I use mostly EVF. I could make photos up to 1/300 s.

Thanks Photocrunch.

I tried your startup sequence. Unfortunately it didn't work. As soon as I turn on the camera, the 2nd light on the transceiver turns off. Anyway that 2nd light didnt seem to matter, the flash would fire in OVF mode without it.

Too bad I'll have to keep using my 603c because I invested in 2 Yongnuo 560 III that have built-in 603c receivers.

Hellocrowley thanks a lot for your inputs.

As I almost never use the OVF-mode and as I did forget to tell you, that all what I wrote just counts for the EVF-mode. In the OVF-mode it is a little bit easier as there are no problems at all. At the start if the transmitter is discharged and the transmitter is turned on for the first time only one LED is green. If you turn on the camera and take just a photo and it works immediately without any problem as after pushing the release button the communication had been actvated automatically. Also the camera XPro1 behaves itself different in EVF- and OVF-mode. For that reason so many people have difficulties in the EVF-mode as in this mode you have to build up the communication first by yourself in switching on and off. In the EVF-mode you only can take photos if both LEDs are green. Further I noticed that in OVF-mode timing is much more critical a 1/125 s did work always shorter times the you get the problems mentioned in the beginning. My advice is never use OVF for fast movements. I could not establish any problems after understanding the behaviour of the camera together with Yonguo RF-603C, for that reason I bought 4 pieces of these more.

Thanks Photocrunch

Bill Boone
Bill Boone New Member • Posts: 6

Will the Yongnuo 603C triggers work with the Fuji X-S1? Thanks to al! Boone

Fatdeko New Member • Posts: 2

I just got my xpro1 and began testing my old gear with it. I encountered the same issue as the OP. While using the OVF, there doesn't seem to be an issue but while using the EVF, I encounter misfires and sync issues. HOWEVER, if using the live view LCD, no problem whatoso ever. My theory is that there is some little bit of electrical interference with the EVF that is intensified/amplified when my big head is snuggled up to the rear of the trigger. Perhaps the fact that the 603's are transceivers, the interference might cause a lag while the unit switches between TX and RX modes? My next test might include hooking the 603 to a Canon TTTL cord and let it dangle from the camera.

I have 4 of the 506III's with the built in radio so I'm reluctant to switch systems. Perhaps the new 603II triggers, with the physical RX-TX switch might be the answer.

cageyfella Regular Member • Posts: 115

For all of us that live in hope of an "advanced" flash system of some sort you may find this vid a little interesting.

A. lot of you may have seen it already as it's from Adoramas channel. Mark Wallace in a 1hour webinar demoing the new Profoto B1 TTL strobe bloc. Yes, Rolls Royce price of entry of course for approx.2400USD for the B1 and the TTL trigger only, anyway price you pay is a personal decision so whatever. The whole demo is done with a Canon as it's the only brand the TTL works with at the moment, but what's cool is that Mark pulls out an Xpro 1 near the end of the demo as you can use it with manual mode like any other camera, however firmware upgrades are coming in first quater this year to support ETTL with other makers!! - nikon is next of course but interesting to see he used the Fuji too :-0. Would anyone pay that premium if TTL was supported for fuji?.....hmmmmm...?

http://www.profoto.com/blog/webinars/the-b1-webinar-with-mark-wallace/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads