Q: Wireless Remote Commander

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Discussions
iHedo
iHedo Regular Member • Posts: 199
Q: Wireless Remote Commander

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a remote commander but there is no more corded version in any area  that I looked into. I have few questions regarding the Wireless remote:

1. Does it focus if I press the shutter button (the half-press thing effect)?

2. Can I replace the battery once I consumed it, and how long is the battery life?

3. Other things I should know before buying this. I really prefer the corded though, but new year is coming I need something for fireworks.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Sony A77 + Grip, Sony 16-50 2.8 SSM, Sony 50 1.4, Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX OS HSM, Sigma 105 2.8M EX OS HSM

iHedo's gear list:iHedo's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 50mm F1.4 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
JohannaZ
JohannaZ Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: Q: Wireless Remote Commander

iHedo wrote:

Hello,

I'm planning to buy a remote commander but there is no more corded version in any area that I looked into. I have few questions regarding the Wireless remote:

I picked up a cheap wireless remote from Amazon a while ago.  Infra red.

1. Does it focus if I press the shutter button (the half-press thing effect)?

Not a half press as such, but it will cause the camera to focus prior to opening the shutter.  Two buttons - one shoots immediately, the other applies a 2 second delay.

2. Can I replace the battery once I consumed it, and how long is the battery life?

Still on my first battery, but it is replaceable.

3. Other things I should know before buying this. I really prefer the corded though, but new year is coming I need something for fireworks.

The sensor is on the front of the camera, so no shots if you're behind it. If you're near the camera you can lean over and point it downwards.  Indoors the IR command may bounce off interior surfaces, but no hope of that outside.

Thank you.

-- hide signature --

Sony A77 + Grip, Sony 16-50 2.8 SSM, Sony 50 1.4, Sigma 70-200 2.8 EX OS HSM, Sigma 105 2.8M EX OS HSM

iHedo
OP iHedo Regular Member • Posts: 199

Thanks for the quick response! I ask others but they don't seem to be sure regarding battery replacement. Thanks again!

-- hide signature --

Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 50mm F1.4 Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM
Benjamin Marsh Regular Member • Posts: 107

There are lots of wired remotes that let you half press for focus, and a number of wireless radio frequency ones that plug the receiver end in to the cable release port.  For a branded one of these the Hahnel Giga T Pro also adds features like time lapse photography.

http://www.hahnel.ie/index.cfm/action/productSearch/pid/80

Although you can get wired time-lapse capable remote for about $17 or so USD on Ebay that will work too.

Not every SONY SLR takes a wired remote but it appears you have the A77 and as such would have no problems.  The DSLR2 wireless infra-red remote commander mostly appeals if you would like to control some other aspects of the camera such as playback and recording of video as well.

Benjamin Marsh's gear list:Benjamin Marsh's gear list
Samsung NX200 Sony SLT-A57 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
iHedo

Woah this looks better than just a remote. I'll read the info and check its price. This might avoid purchasing further equipment for having many features.

-- hide signature --

aardvark7
aardvark7 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,110

I can add my recommendation for the Hahnel remote. For the money is is an excellent device, with decent range and the battery is easily replaced, although it seems to last for a very long time anyway.

-- hide signature --

2012 : My new year's resolution -
To be decided...

busch
busch Forum Pro • Posts: 32,700

I have had the Hähnel for some time and find it to do exactly what they say. I recommed it highly!

-- hide signature --

Busch
Take the scenic route! Life is too short to do otherwise.
My Photos

busch's gear list:busch's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Sony RX10 III Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony a77 II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +12 more
Benjamin Marsh Regular Member • Posts: 107

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280924232118?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

that would be your cheap plan b for that kind of feature set.  but yeah the hahnel would be the top pick if money was no object... of course then you'd have an RX1 in your pocket for the times you did not want to carry your A99 around.

Benjamin Marsh's gear list:Benjamin Marsh's gear list
Samsung NX200 Sony SLT-A57 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM +1 more
Steve Cohan Senior Member • Posts: 1,828
I use the remote commander frequently.

The battery is replaceable. I focus before the shot. I have the Sony version as I also have Sony tv's meaning I can go through my images when the camera is plugged into the tv. NOTE: the Sony version does not work with video on the a77. I also have the wired remote which is good in certain situations. I always fear a person or dog will get caught in the wired remote and I will watch my camera hit the earth.

Steve Cohan's gear list:Steve Cohan's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO +16 more
pnoij Regular Member • Posts: 168

I have the same remote. It is expensive, but perfect in my opinion.

I have some doubts about the battery life. Had to replace it within a year. However, I extendidly used it for micro-focus adjustment. You can replace the batteries yourself. The battery for the reciever is a CR2, not really cheap, not a rip off though.

I have had, by the way,  the first generation of this remote. That swallowed batteries. The second generation has a on/off-button on the reciever. Luckily my first generation was defective and was replaced without arguments with the second generation remote. Free of charge.

Peter

Alphamale77 Regular Member • Posts: 240

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006OBUPRW/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00

a little expansive, but works wonders, fits all ur need and some.

Alphamale77's gear list:Alphamale77's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sony 85mm F1.4 ZA Carl Zeiss Planar T* Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G +6 more
Rexel99 Regular Member • Posts: 423

For fireworks or often for things that you need a remote trigger for it's best to set the camera to manual focus first. If the camera cant find focus it may not fire so its best to avoid this problem.

Even the cheapest IR remote (copies) have a replaceable watch-type battery but they last ages anyway.

Negatives, you cant do rapid fire, or multi-bracket exposures with the IR remote. They do allow for a 2 second delay but nothing else is settable from the camera. A little on the short range and front-facing connection (receiver) only.

Positives are that they work as a great wireless trigger, easy to pocket (rather than a dangling wired trigger) and work reliably given the above conditions.

Rexel99's gear list:Rexel99's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +5 more
Kzoozoomer Senior Member • Posts: 1,493

The Sony Remote Commander that came with my A700 seemed to need new batteries every time I picked it up.  It is now resting in a nursing home, replaced by a much superior Op-Tech radio frequency remote that has needed one battery replacement in 3 years, allows full use of all the drive modes on my A57 and A700, has a much greater working distance and can be used from     in back of or on either side of the camera as well as from in front.

Kzoozoomer's gear list:Kzoozoomer's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 +1 more
Dsnoir
Dsnoir Contributing Member • Posts: 866

To get the Hahnel GigaT Pro to give rapid continuous shooting, set the camers to Continuous  Shooting and set the Hahnel to BULB, seems incongruous but it works. Check out your local shop, I bought the Hahnel 'cheap' on Ebay, only to find it at a lower cost locally!! Terrific piece of equipment - very versatile

Dsnoir's gear list:Dsnoir's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Leica DG 50-200mm F2.8-4 Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
iHedo

Guys thanks for your recommendation, suggestions, and answers. I thoroughly reading those products and I'll choose one before the year ends. Maybe more feature would be better like with time remote and it is wireless too or it can be wired.

I asked about AF if wireless focuses because when I'm going to take a photo of myself or with others (easier with other that I can focus them first).

Thanks! Looks like I have plenty of Hahnel Giga response.

-- hide signature --

iHedo

Anyone tried this Vello Wireless remote timer?

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/755063-REG/Vello_RCW_S1_Wireless_ShutterBoss_Timer_Remote.html

It has focus and release too and more reviews than Hahnel Giga in most online store. Oh it's discounted at this moments!

-- hide signature --

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads