RX100 Performance Question

Started Dec 19, 2012 | Questions
felicity Regular Member • Posts: 258
RX100 Performance Question

How well will this camera perform with moving subjects?  I have the SLT-33 and the 50mm f1.4 prime lens to take pictures indoors of puppies.  Will the RX100 work for this purpose?  Thank you.

felicity's gear list:felicity's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony SLT-A33 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
RezaTravilla
RezaTravilla Regular Member • Posts: 304
Re: RX100 Performance Question

felicity wrote:

How well will this camera perform with moving subjects? I have the SLT-33 and the 50mm f1.4 prime lens to take pictures indoors of puppies. Will the RX100 work for this purpose? Thank you.

Performance of the AF?

The is focus tracking so there is no problem with it.

RezaTravilla's gear list:RezaTravilla's gear list
Nikon D300S Olympus E-M5 II Olympus PEN-F Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II +5 more
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,689

felicity wrote:

How well will this camera perform with moving subjects? I have the SLT-33 and the 50mm f1.4 prime lens to take pictures indoors of puppies. Will the RX100 work for this purpose? Thank you.

No real answer here since I do not own the A33. However, the A33 has full time PDAF which might be faster than CDAF on the RX100. Furthermore, your 50mm f1.4 (75mm Eq) is more than 3 stops faster than the RX100 lens so the possibility of faster shutter speeds / lower ISO. The larger sensor of the A33 probably is a bit less noisy (however, sensor technology moves up quickly and the RX100 has the latest). My best guessis the A33 probably somewhat better for your application. (but the RX100 fits in your purse very nicely  )
Disclaimer -- I own the RX100
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV +5 more
Dennis12345 Regular Member • Posts: 287

The RX100 is a point and shoot, albeit a terrific point and shoot. It is not best suited for subjects that move in unpredictable ways. A DSLR wins here. Just my observation.

Dennis12345's gear list:Dennis12345's gear list
Ricoh GR Digital II Olympus E-M1 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 II Olympus 12-40mm F2.8

Dennis12345 wrote:

The RX100 is a point and shoot, albeit a terrific point and shoot. It is not best suited for subjects that move in unpredictable ways. A DSLR wins here. Just my observation.

I thought that is what I said.
Albeit, with suggestions as to why I thought the A33 would be the better solution.
Bert

stdavid Senior Member • Posts: 1,842

The only way you will ever know for sure is to try it. Go to a store with a return policy if you have one in your area and put the RX 100 thru it's paces.

In the end it is the only way to be sure the camera does what you want it to do and fills your needs.

-- hide signature --

Quote: Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Oscar Wilde

felicity --- RX100 Performance Question

stdavid wrote:

The only way you will ever know for sure is to try it. Go to a store with a return policy if you have one in your area and put the RX 100 thru it's paces.

In the end it is the only way to be sure the camera does what you want it to do and fills your needs.

stdavid,
I think your post was aimed at OP Felicity

Bert

OP felicity Regular Member • Posts: 258

Thanks.  I wasn't sure if the larger sensor of the RX100 would compensate for the the lens being not quite as fast.

stdavid Senior Member • Posts: 1,842
Re: felicity --- RX100 Performance Question

BertIverson wrote:

stdavid wrote:

The only way you will ever know for sure is to try it. Go to a store with a return policy if you have one in your area and put the RX 100 thru it's paces.

stdavid,
I think your post was aimed at OP Felicity

Bert

I was indeed Bert

Sorry

-- hide signature --

Quote: Experience is simply the name we give our mistakes Oscar Wilde

OP felicity Regular Member • Posts: 258

Yes, true.  I was trying to ascertain if there was even the point of going through the process.  Thx.

h00ligan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,102

Very well in my experience. Certainly better than ally other compact I've owned.

Joachim Gerstl
Joachim Gerstl Veteran Member • Posts: 7,439

felicity wrote:

I would not use the RX100 for moving subjects indoors. AF is not good in poor light.

-- hide signature --
 Joachim Gerstl's gear list:Joachim Gerstl's gear list
Ricoh GR Canon PowerShot G7 X Fujifilm X-T1 Sony a6000 Fujifilm X-Pro2 +12 more
Pankrac
Pankrac Regular Member • Posts: 121
Hit and miss in my experience

You may get a good shot, but the results are unpredictable. Burst mode could help to a degree. Puppies standing still (do they ever?) would help too. Another option instead of trying to freeze the motion is to try and emphasise the motion blur, but that would take you into a more abstract area. Something like this:

My grandson playing cold and warm weather front

ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,849

With PRACTICE - Patience and Perseverance I'd say..  Yes...

A shot of such kind ALWAYS needs thiose important factors.. even a dSLR.. things that move do NOT often care what YOU're doing..   !!

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

nick_j007 Contributing Member • Posts: 519

Indoor shots with dogs is doable, but you'll need daylight on your subject ideally to allow decent exposure speeds. ISO of up to 800 will enable faster shots with no noticeable increase in noise.

Here's a shot of Max (albeit outdoors) jumping yesterday!

Exif shows:

f1.8

1/1600

ISO 125 (should have gone higher!)

-- hide signature --

Nick (UK)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads