$900 off on Costco kit

Started Dec 16, 2012 | Discussions
Kanji
Kanji Senior Member • Posts: 1,580
$900 off on Costco kit

Went to my local Costco and they had lowered the price from $400 off their D600 kit to 900 off the kit.

Kanji's gear list:Kanji's gear list
Canon EOS 6D Nikon D610 Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
virtualkyr
virtualkyr Contributing Member • Posts: 678
Re: $900 off on Costco kit

Adorama has $900 off a 2 lens kit for the D600

http://www.adorama.com/INKD600K1L3.html

It's similar to the one offered by Costco, only about $3.00 difference.

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D600-Full-Frame-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100012382.html

-- hide signature --

Nikon D90, Nikon 17-55 F2.8, Nikon 18-105, Nikon 35mm F1.8 - Sony NX5U - Adobe CS5 Production Premium

virtualkyr's gear list:virtualkyr's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
Just Having Fun Veteran Member • Posts: 3,869
Avoid that Adorama deal...

Because this one is better!

D600 Kit

Then select "Buy together and save - Save up to $200.00 with bundle." to get the the extra lens (if you want).  Same price but cash back and a bunch of goodies. 

pavi1 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,852
Re: Avoid that Adorama deal...

Just Having Fun wrote:

Because this one is better!

D600 Kit

Then select "Buy together and save - Save up to $200.00 with bundle." to get the the extra lens (if you want). Same price but cash back and a bunch of goodies.

That looks like a great deal for someone needing a new camera. Too bad my D300S is only two years old. Three years at least before I need a new camera unless this one is stolen or damaged beyond repair.

-- hide signature --

Everything happens for a reason. #1 reason: poor planning
WSSA #44

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 4,624
Re: $900 off on Costco kit signs of serious sales issue?

Nikon had 'price set' their cameras at dealers across the wrold, so we were told earlier this year.

Now their D600 and D800, moreso the D600, after being out a few months have massive (say 900 over 3,500 ?(including lenses)) 25% discount at least, being conservative?

A clear sign their sales are in trouble for these cameras. Most likely it reflects the recession and while clearly the D800 is aimed at pros and serious enthusiasts, the D600 seems to be aimed that serious enthusiasts and amateurs, some pros as back ups maybe.

Likely it reflects that in these times people are hard put to spend over three grand on camera and llenses, unless it is for business. Even then, note that the D700 prices have not collapsed, so likely smart pros and others are grabbing these at decent prices instead, they are great cameras.

Similarly, amateurs and some serious enthusiasts have other options like M4/3 and NEX, at lower prices especially if they dont mind MF lenses, as these formats have much improved image quality now.

My only question is, these discounts seem manily in the US, but the US actually, at 'only' 8% unemployment is in better shape than most of Europe, so what of European sales and potential discounts?

Are the camera companies using the US  as a cash cow, i.. lower margins x greater sales, to protect liquidity?

Not only that, but consider that the D800 and D600 are the cheapest / best value FF DSLR's since the D700, yet these huge discounts indicate that sales are struggling.

I think the recession is hurting the industry badly. It is also a sign of how deeply the recession has hit people. It is a bit worrying.

-- hide signature --

.....Just from an amateur......''Sometimes it's to your advantage for people to think you're crazy.”

Daniel Lauring
Daniel Lauring Veteran Member • Posts: 9,263

A great deal, no doubt.  It could also be signaling the turning point from SLR's to mirrorless.  Sure, the full framed SLR is better, but the latest mirrorless are very good...and much easier to lug around...especially APSC and M43 sizes.  I'm not saying full framed SLR's are going away.  I'm just saying that they are losing in popularity, to smaller cameras, with prosumers and mainstream customers who got tired of lugging around all that weight.

BeachnCruz Senior Member • Posts: 2,034
Re: $900 off on Costco kit... Adorama savings better for some

virtualkyr wrote:

Adorama has $900 off a 2 lens kit for the D600

http://www.adorama.com/INKD600K1L3.html

It's similar to the one offered by Costco, only about $3.00 difference.

http://www.costco.com/Nikon-D600-Full-Frame-DSLR-Camera-2-Lens-Bundle.product.100012382.html

-- hide signature --

Nikon D90, Nikon 17-55 F2.8, Nikon 18-105, Nikon 35mm F1.8 - Sony NX5U - Adobe CS5 Production Premium

Purchasing this kit from Adorama represents a $218 net savings for a Calif. resident living in my area compared to purchasing from our local Costco. Choose your retailer location wisely.

virtualkyr
virtualkyr Contributing Member • Posts: 678
Re: Avoid that Adorama deal...

Good find!

-- hide signature --

virtualkyr's gear list:virtualkyr's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +9 more
paulski66
paulski66 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,133

I think it's just a very aggressive marketing push by Nikon to counter the recent availability of the 6D from Canon.

In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if Nikon had a strategy like this planned from the start, as I've said elsewhere. Beat Canon to the affordable FF punch by almost 3 months, then when Canon's offering is finally available, sucker punch them with a killer holiday rebate to grab an even larger share of the "upgrading to FX" market.

paulski66's gear list:paulski66's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +2 more
olynik969 Senior Member • Posts: 1,615
Is that after (or before) sales taxes are paid to local sources?

Bob

-- hide signature --

Bob (formerly bobmax)

olynik969's gear list:olynik969's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 R LM OIS WR Fujifilm 50-230mm II
SethG Senior Member • Posts: 1,083
Re: $900 off on Costco kit... Adorama savings better for some

BeachnCruz wrote:

Purchasing this kit from Adorama represents a $218 net savings for a Calif. resident living in my area compared to purchasing from our local Costco. Choose your retailer location wisely.

I was just in the Marina del Rey Costco. The sign said that the sales tax will be added to the "pre-rebate" price, so you'd be paying tax on that $900.

Adorama would be better. Heck, Best Buy would be better.

-- hide signature --

- Seth -

1Tusker Regular Member • Posts: 195

Struggling ? Well, it seems all I read here is about the problems the much touted D800 has, after months of hype. Just about the same with the D600 -- are ALL these problems real? There seem to be just too many to pass them off as buyers remorse. I am in the market for a third body, but it doesn't seem these fit the bill. Also, the 'kits' are a waste of money to me, I just don't need another 3.5 lens. Look at this way, if you will. There is some big money involved here, for something that is FULL of problems-- which I for one do not need. All this JMHO of course.

-- hide signature --

TUSKER

Gosman Contributing Member • Posts: 923

Like lambs to the slaughter.

-- hide signature --

Gosman

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads