HVL20 fm at sears for 49.00!

Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions
BrewLab
BrewLab Contributing Member • Posts: 650
Re: Whew!!

Just snagged the last two in the Portland area! Thanks for posting this sweet deal!

Cheers!

BrewLab's gear list:BrewLab's gear list
Sony SLT-A57 +3 more
Jack R. Grouell Contributing Member • Posts: 740
Re: HVL20 fm at sears for 49.00!

One available for store pickup at Cascade Mall Burlington WA

-- hide signature --

Jack G Everett WA

Jeadm Senior Member • Posts: 1,682
Picked up in store, briefly mini tested (pun intended)

I hooked this little guy up with my Tokina 11-16mm f2.8 (and it's big fat lens hood) mounted, not bad. I don't have any AAA rechargables so I guess I need to get those too now, haha. But I popped in some alkaline batteries just to get by and tried it out.

Lens hood shadowing with direct flash @ 11mm, but none @ 16mm (didn't test at what point it goes away, obviously somewhere in between). No shadowing of course with bounce flash, fairly pleasant lighting that way and can't go wrong at $50. GN of 20 about double the on camera flash I believe. A side switch labelled "Direct / Bounce" flips the flash up internally for bounce or direct, and cute little beginner graphics face the photographer that say "When you in the house, switch here (bounce); when you're outside the house, switch here (direct)".  Because not everybody knows bounce flash just doesn't work all that good outside LOL.  A quick turn of the dial changes from wide to tele, though I think I would have preferred that dial on the left (same side as the bounce switch).

Can't bounce in portrait orientation unless you're going to do a little side lighting and use the wall instead. My wallet, even with all the extra George Castanza stuffing removed, is still bigger than this little thing. This is going to really come in handy when you don't want to carry the big gun. I'll always have room even in my smallest bag for this.

Jeadm's gear list:Jeadm's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Sony 85mm F2.8 SAM Sony DT 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +15 more
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,313
Re: Picked up in store, briefly mini tested (pun intended)

Just another community success story nice work..

-- hide signature --

Bill aka EO

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
Setter Dog Veteran Member • Posts: 5,275
Re: Picked up in store, briefly mini tested (pun intended)

EvilOne wrote:

Just another community success story nice work..

-- hide signature --

Bill aka EO

Bill is so right,....taking a few minutes to share an opportunity with the forum, IS nice work. As I read the various posts, I was struck that nobody bashed the little flash and everyone seemed upbeat! Funny what can make us feel good, isn't it?

Jack

AarSee
AarSee Veteran Member • Posts: 4,660
Re: This forum really makes me mad

I come here day after day, and I keep finding these "deals" on Sony equipment.

So just like a gambling addict, I go out and buy these deals whether I really need them or not.

I can't seem to stop myself. I see a great deal, and I have to have it.

So far this forum has "cost" me a A700 that I got at Best Buy for $800, A SAL 70-300G that cost me $500 from Circuit City, A Sigma 50-150 that was on sale, and a bunch of memory cards at low cost.

If this keeps up, I will be broke from all of the deals I have found!

Now if I can just keep my wife from finding out!

Darn the luck.

PS.  I did buy on of these Flashes from Sears.  $49.00 + free shipping was too much to pass up!

-- hide signature --

Rick

AarSee's gear list:AarSee's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a6000 Sony a77 II Sony RX100 III Sony Alpha NEX-3N +10 more
success100
success100 Contributing Member • Posts: 735

man! all stores around here sold out. if anyone can get one ill be more than happy to paypal you the money for it! ill throw in a extra $10 bucks!!

hemi71cuda Regular Member • Posts: 255

Think I got the last one at a store 4 hours away(will have a family member pick it up). Just waiting for the "Ready for Pickup" email...

For those that didn't get one, the next best price is around $66 for used ones on Cowboom . I don't know why people are bidding $100 for used ones on ebay.

hemi71cuda's gear list:hemi71cuda's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +3 more
andyfl Junior Member • Posts: 43

Darn.  They are sold out on line, and there are none available at any Sears in Florida or Maryland (where my relatives could get it for me)!  I would have loved to pick one up for that price and wish I had seen this post sooner.

Andy

surfnet Regular Member • Posts: 277

Earlier this morning when I saw this thread, I also tried to order online without luck (the "add to cart" would not let you).  And, I called Sears and they  said none was available (online or at store near me).

However, in the evening when I went to the nearby Sears store and there was one there, but they said the price was $159 at the store.  The sale person was nice enough to search Sears online and he was able to place an order for me and the $49 was for online order only.  I just checked Sears online again when I got home and it still did not let me "add to cart".  Not sure what's going on, but I got mine coming with free shipping.

surfnet's gear list:surfnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A65
tqlla Veteran Member • Posts: 3,891

I have good news, and I have bad news.

• The good news is, some stores have the flash, even though it says OOS on the website
  • The Bad news is, its a Pain to get them to price match, since you cant see the $50 price without adding to cart.   And since its OOS everywhere, they cant match the price. 

Even the people from the Online Helpdesk cant tell what the price is supposed to be   But, I was able to get 2 stores to match my Online order for instore pickup(which was cancelled).

tqlla's gear list:tqlla's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16mm F2.8 Fisheye Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +9 more
cplunk Senior Member • Posts: 1,818

I managed to get one. It refused to let me order one online and have it shipped, and refused to let me pick it up in the store in 24 days. But, it would let me buy one from current store inventory. Unfortunately, the closest store was about an hours drive away, but I need to go hunt down one more thing for Christmas for the missus, so I went on that journey.

The store was in Everett, WA, if any of you are in the area, and the website claimed I took 1 of 2 available. When I was at the store I wandered through the electronic to see if they still had an $15.99 batteries (I didn't see any) and noticed they did have another HVL20 in a display case with a DT55-200 lens, and a A35 on display (with a dead battery) that I think was $100 off (but I can't remember the price, so, it's questionable what the $100 discount was taken off of).

My experience with Sears always leaves me wondering. There website is about the worst of anywhere I've ever used, and nearly impossible to find stuff on there (thing I know they have). And there stores frequently seem to have some kinda bizarre thing going on, last time I was there with my wife, she was buying a shirt that was on clearance, I was buying some tool on clearance, the guy in the register at the tool section couldn't get the clearance price on the shirts, and the lady in the clothing section couldn't get the clearance price on the tools... And this just seems to be typical fubar that I get shopping there. But they frequently have something at clearance price that make me feel like I'm almost stealing it so I keep going back (and not just cameras, I got a 2 year old model of a riding lawnmower for around 50% off once).

Anyhow, I got home and popped a couple batteries in to see how she worked, and, began to feel disappointment as all the photos I took were dark, looking like almost no flash fired... but then I realized that I still had the camera set to wireless flash!!! So it was trying to control slaves that weren't there. Set back to fill flash, and found it works at least as good as the on camera flash, but allows me to bounce it.

For the size and weight, with the ability to bounce, I'm happy.

cplunk's gear list:cplunk's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony Alpha a99 Sony Alpha DSLR-A900 Sony Alpha DSLR-A330 Sony Alpha NEX-6 +22 more

cplunk wrote:

I managed to get one. It refused to let me order one online and have it shipped, and refused to let me pick it up in the store in 24 days. But, it would let me buy one from current store inventory. Unfortunately, the closest store was about an hours drive away, but I need to go hunt down one more thing for Christmas for the missus, so I went on that journey.

The store was in Everett, WA, if any of you are in the area, and the website claimed I took 1 of 2 available. When I was at the store I wandered through the electronic to see if they still had an $15.99 batteries (I didn't see any) and noticed they did have another HVL20 in a display case with a DT55-200 lens, and a A35 on display (with a dead battery) that I think was $100 off (but I can't remember the price, so, it's questionable what the $100 discount was taken off of).

My experience with Sears always leaves me wondering. There website is about the worst of anywhere I've ever used, and nearly impossible to find stuff on there (thing I know they have). And there stores frequently seem to have some kinda bizarre thing going on, last time I was there with my wife, she was buying a shirt that was on clearance, I was buying some tool on clearance, the guy in the register at the tool section couldn't get the clearance price on the shirts, and the lady in the clothing section couldn't get the clearance price on the tools... And this just seems to be typical fubar that I get shopping there. But they frequently have something at clearance price that make me feel like I'm almost stealing it so I keep going back (and not just cameras, I got a 2 year old model of a riding lawnmower for around 50% off once).

Anyhow, I got home and popped a couple batteries in to see how she worked, and, began to feel disappointment as all the photos I took were dark, looking like almost no flash fired... but then I realized that I still had the camera set to wireless flash!!! So it was trying to control slaves that weren't there. Set back to fill flash, and found it works at least as good as the on camera flash, but allows me to bounce it.

For the size and weight, with the ability to bounce, I'm happy.

The one in that display box, I think is fake.  The lens looked fake to me anyway.

Yeah, the website is terrible.  Even worse, considering their support helpdesk.  How are they not able to determine the price of a product on their own website?  Ridiculous. (Since the price didnt show until the product was added to cart, and there was no way to add to cart)

One thing that I found usefull is, when using the sears website, click (Sears only, in the upper left)

Sony Alpha DSLR-A850 Sony Alpha a99 Sony a99 II Sony 16mm F2.8 Fisheye Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +9 more
Jack R. Grouell Contributing Member • Posts: 740

I got mine at the Everett Sears - they had 3 available when I ordered mine on line for instore pickup.  Took about 1/2 hour to get the "ready for pickup" email, about 15 minutes to get to the store, less than one minute to scan the bar code and about 2 minutes for the guy to show up with the flash.  Very easy way to shop and an good experience.

-- hide signature --

Jack G Everett WA

sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401
Sears refused to match their own price...

Went in to the local Sears, they located one of these after much poking around (that place is like a wasteland after K-Mart)... Then firmly refused to match their own online price.

$149.99 or nothing. Great customer service there, Sears.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Nikon 1 J1
sensibill
sensibill Veteran Member • Posts: 5,401

tqlla wrote:

• The good news is, some stores have the flash, even though it says OOS on the website
  • The Bad news is, its a Pain to get them to price match, since you cant see the $50 price without adding to cart. And since its OOS everywhere, they cant match the price.

Even the people from the Online Helpdesk cant tell what the price is supposed to be But, I was able to get 2 stores to match my Online order for instore pickup(which was cancelled).

If you can figure this out about how to get a Sears that has it but who won't price match their own idiotic website, let me know... I spent about 30 minutes in my local mall store trying to get them to sell me the stupid thing, and even though they had it in the BACK and it's not out for display or sale, they flat out would not sell me the flash for the online sale price.

They also won't allow store pickup of the online order, yet there it is sitting in the store, and there's the price in black and white on their site. Insanity.

sensibill's gear list:sensibill's gear list
Sony Alpha a7 II Nikon 1 J1
andyfl Junior Member • Posts: 43

andyfl wrote:

Darn. They are sold out on line, and there are none available at any Sears in Florida or Maryland (where my relatives could get it for me)! I would have loved to pick one up for that price and wish I had seen this post sooner.

Well, somehow I managed to order one last night.  After checking the site numerous times throughout the day, I tried putting in Colorado for the store location.  It came back with one available in Littleton where my oldest son just moved.  I added it to my cart and went to the checkout.  At that point it had the option selected for store pickup but also had the online option.  Just for the heck of it I selected the online option, figuring it would come back with "unavailable online" as it had before - but to my surprise it took it.  I immediately paid for it (with my Discover Card for 10% cashback at Sears) and it seemed to take it fine.  I went back to the main page for the flash and it still showed unavailable online there.  I then called about it to make sure I was actually going to get one, since I did not want to to miss the one at the store if my order was going to get cancelled.  I was assured I would get one.  I was still doubtful, but just now I got a shipping confirmation number.  So it ended up working out somehow.  Hopefully I will get it by Christmas so I can try out some bounce flash with my A77 for the day's festivities.  I know it is not the greatest flash, but after spending all my camera dollars on the A77 it was this deal or nothing.

Andy

sensibill wrote:

tqlla wrote:

• The Bad news is, its a Pain to get them to price match, since you cant see the $50 price without adding to cart. And since its OOS everywhere, they cant match the price.

Even the people from the Online Helpdesk cant tell what the price is supposed to be But, I was able to get 2 stores to match my Online order for instore pickup(which was cancelled).

If you can figure this out about how to get a Sears that has it but who won't price match their own idiotic website, let me know... I spent about 30 minutes in my local mall store trying to get them to sell me the stupid thing, and even though they had it in the BACK and it's not out for display or sale, they flat out would not sell me the flash for the online sale price.

They also won't allow store pickup of the online order, yet there it is sitting in the store, and there's the price in black and white on their site. Insanity.

They will only match it, if they can verify the price.  IE, you have to be able to add it to cart, to see the price.   But since there is no zip code with it in stock, you are out of luck.

You could also try calling sears.com helpdesk, if you can get them to tell you the price is $49.99, then sears will match the price.  However, they cant see the price either?

I was only able to match, since I had another sears.com order.

osu
osu Regular Member • Posts: 279

Bought the only one in my area and was all set to pick it up this am. Went through the whole process of paying and got a confirmation code. I get an email first thing that states: Order Cancelled. Sorry.

osu's gear list:osu's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony a99 II +8 more
surfnet Regular Member • Posts: 277

I actually got a shipment confirmation already.  Surprise, surprise.

Like many have found out, this is ONLINE price only.

surfnet's gear list:surfnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A65
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads