60D + 100-400L + 430EX II + BB in the Bronx Zoo

Started Dec 15, 2012 | Discussions
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
60D + 100-400L + 430EX II + BB in the Bronx Zoo

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3351379

Inspired by Vlab's wonderful photos, I realized I had some photos from the same setup as Vlab used. However I didn't have a luxury to shoot in the paradise of Costa Rica, I took the "lite gear" into the zoo instead, lol.

C&C is highly welcomed.

Why wasting time in arguing gear, spend more time in taking photos

There are moments from time to time, I appreciate APS-C 1.6x effective reach

And two from 500L with 1D3

Bronx Zoo 2011 Version

-- hide signature --
Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS-1D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
caspianm Senior Member • Posts: 2,233
Re: 60D + 100-400L + 430EX II + BB in the Bronx Zoo

They all look great. Great use of equipment.

caspianm's gear list:caspianm's gear list
Nikon D800E Sony Alpha NEX-3N Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED +13 more
OP qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350

caspianm wrote:

They all look great. Great use of equipment.

Thanks for compliment. 60D is relative light and small to carry with to walk around. When I was in Italy I carried it to work around in the cities in unknown environments in evening. I will wait Canon's mirrorless to get matured with EVF and faster CDAF for a lite walk-around package and backup camera to replace 60D.

60D + Sigma 17-50/2.8 OS walk-around in Italy.

River Arno at dusk in Florence, Italy

St. Angel Castle reflected in River Tiber with St. Peter’s Basilica in the background, Rome, Italy

Another one in Vancouver, Canada.

The Canada Place, Vancouver, Canada

Or when I need 1.6x reach but PDAF is still faster in AF that still is better than CDAF in foreseen future.

60D + 100-400L when walk around Vancouver, Canada.

-- hide signature --
MrsO Junior Member • Posts: 25

I am certainly no expert but the monkey picture is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

MAC Forum Pro • Posts: 13,515

MrsO wrote:

I am certainly no expert but the monkey picture is beautiful! Thanks for sharing.

the monkey shot is nice,  his 1d3 or 5d3 would not have done better

MAC's gear list:MAC's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 7D Mark II Canon EOS Rebel T7i Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM +6 more

MAC wrote:

MrsO wrote:

the monkey shot is nice, his 1d3 or 5d3 would not have done better

Thanks both for your compliments.

LOL, I love it in classic FF vs APS-C crop and Canon vs Nikon debates If I could move closer (not in that case) or use 500L with 5D3 and view at 3000 or 2000 if check closely no mention 5000-pixel wide especially if don't use flash, the latter will win in finer details and clarity, no question about. Let's put principle aside, I fully agree it's the person behinds the VF. Person A takes better photo with a P&S than another person B with DSLR that doesn't mean P&S is better than DSLR. Sometime I only dispute in principles but I never argue a specific model cannot take wonderful photos. They are complete different subjects.

That monkey is the Thinker Another one from his brother but in black color

Or group of monkeys

-- hide signature --
Keith Z Leonard Veteran Member • Posts: 5,956

On 1 and 5 I would have liked to have seen more of the scene, especially given that you would have gotten some nice water reflections in the shot.  Of course there may well have been other distracting things, zoo's can be restrictive in that way, I often find myself shooting around the enclosure elements.  Overall I think they are quite good, I especially like the Eagle shot, personally.

Keith Z Leonard's gear list:Keith Z Leonard's gear list
Canon EF 70-200mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM Canon EOS 400D +16 more
Kevin G. Veteran Member • Posts: 3,154
Very nice series!

Beautiful shots, you did a fine job isolating the subjects and creating interesting portraits.  I especially like the monkey!

Regards,

Kevin

-- hide signature --
vlab
vlab Senior Member • Posts: 1,544

Love them gianp2k, Did you shoot in Av or M?

vlab's gear list:vlab's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Canon PowerShot S95 Canon EOS 60D Canon EOS 70D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +4 more

vlab wrote:

Love them gianp2k, Did you shoot in Av or M?

Thanks Vlab and all above for your kind words.

In OP from what I checked in DPP,

#2 (monkey) is on Tv mode with -1 FEC as I want I have faster enough shutter in hand-held (or on mono-pod). There is light from roof. So I want to leverage ambient light but fill-flash on money's face.

#3 (bird) is on M mode (but DPP still show as Av mode). That's indoor in last minutes as zoo was closing. 60D has an amazing X-Sync 1/250 (even 5DIII only has 1/200 X-Sync while 1D3 has 1/300 X-Sync). Again I set -1 FEC. Most times I set -1 or -1/2 FEC for less flashing look.

#4 (eagle) on Av mode, flash off as eagle's head was under sunlight. I use F5 (or could even smaller F number) to "penetrate" into the cage so the the cage's frames will not be obviously visible (you will see clearly if shoot at f/8).

#5 (red flamingo) on M mode, 1/1000 (as it's moving), ISO 400 (that default when in auto ISO under M mode), -1/3 FEC.

By default Canon cameras are in Fill-Flash mode under Av and Tv modes (I never use P and Auto modes and no reason to use them) with ambient light as main light source. Under M mode by default cameras use flashing light as main light source. However there is no clear boundary between these modes as ETTL II is still metering with all these factors - your main subject with ambient and flash lights, the distance between your camera and subject (main focus point), your exposure setting with EC, your flashing strength with FEC... All together to make sure or trying the best effort to expose correctly. Usually I use Av/Tv mode outdoor under good light and use flash as fill-flash to illuminate subject in shadow. FEC is important here as you don't want to make subject look as white-out but give some light as someone uses reflection board in outdoor portrait photos to reflect a bit of light to a model's face to look more popup but still naturally. Under outdoor low light and indoor I usually use M mode when I shoot hand-held to avoid using high ISO. Since there is no sufficient ambient light, camera has to use your flash as a main source of light. Still be careful not put too much flashing on your subject to look a typical flashing effect. If under low light you want both subject and your background to be highlighted and you still want a good IQ and not force to use high ISO, you must use a tripod such as you saw those park photog do in the Disney Magic Kingdom for example. They will set ISO 400 or 800 on tripod and use Av mode (you can use M mode that doesn't matter). Assuming use 17-55/2.8 lens or even 18-55 kit lens at 17 or 18mm, you can set shutter at 1/10 to 1/20, F4. I'd set -1 or -1/2 EC as you don't want background Cinderella castle to be exposed fully that will blow out lights for example. In that case, flashgun under ETTL will emit a sufficient light (you might want to try a few different FEC to get an ideal strength to illuminate faces of your family members.  Don't worry too much on shutter speed but not too slow as flashing will "freeze" your family people (of course you will ask them to hold still as possible but still can have smiles :-))  M mode is the most flexible and you still can check the exposure in metering in your VF or back LCD but Av/Tv modes give me quick setting on the respective priority.

-- hide signature --
jbjones Regular Member • Posts: 411

Great shots, and great notes! The BB really works well with that 430 flash.

I noticed the last 2 shots are at 500mm, were you using 1.4x TC on those?

Edit: never mind, i see the note it's a 500L

jbjones's gear list:jbjones's gear list
Canon EOS 60D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art

jbjones wrote:

Great shots, and great notes! The BB really works well with that 430 flash.

Thanks for compliments.  Yes BB works and 60D has amazing 1/250 x-sync (the same as 1DX) that is even better than my 5DIII and only 1D4/1D3 1/300 x-sync is faster.  Of course you can turn on Hyper-Sync but in reduced flashing strength.

I noticed the last 2 shots are at 500mm, were you using 1.4x TC on those?

500L works pretty well with 1.4x TC and AF is still fast but not really quite well with 2.0x TC compared to 70-200L/2.8 IS II and 300L/2.8 IS (I or II).

500L + 1.4x TC III

Edit: never mind, i see the note it's a 500L

-- hide signature --
starman1969
starman1969 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,023

Great images. I especially like the monkey one.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

starman1969's gear list:starman1969's gear list
Nikon D800E Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Canon EOS 1000D Nikon D4 +5 more

starman1969 wrote:

Great images. I especially like the monkey one.

-- hide signature --

They are watching us......

Thanks for your kind words.

Happy New Year!

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads