Bought the Sekoinc 478D and Regretting it :(

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions
prasanaphoto
prasanaphoto Regular Member • Posts: 104
Bought the Sekoinc 478D and Regretting it :(

Hello Friends,

Iam a professional photographer from Chennai,India and i was impressed by the specs of the New Sekonic 478D Litemaster Pro.So went ahead and bought one after selling my trusty L608 (Big Mistake). A month went by and the new meter occupied a special place in my camera bag Nikon D800,70-200, and 24-70.Today had an important shoot and took it out.To my surprise i found the LCD broken..i mean the glass is intact but the LCD inside is shattered.Never  even imagined that the meter would be so fragile..single user,mildly used..now broken.The Sekonic India dealer was not so helpful and has given a timeframe of Three Months for repair and has added that its "user error" and "not covered in warranty"!!!...Guess i made a HUGE  mistake and am now suffering for it.Please think twice before buying the L478 D, its  definitely not for the Pro IMHO.

regards

Prasana

www.rprasanaphotography.com

Nikon Coolpix L6 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Peter Berressem Forum Pro • Posts: 10,647
Re: Bought the Sekoinc 478D and Regretting it :(

Glass is intact...how's this user error? A user may break the glass, but hurting the screen while leaving the glass intact.. how to?

At least I'd contact Sekonic Japan with an inquiry about that.

-- hide signature --

cheers, Peter
Germany

prasanaphoto
OP prasanaphoto Regular Member • Posts: 104
Re: Bought the Sekoinc 478D and Regretting it :(

Me too Peter ,I dont understand.It was working perfectly and i took great care since its a touchscreen meter.The outer glass is fully intact,not even a scratch but the inner LCD is scattered all over the place and i didnt bump it anywhere also.I will contact Sekonic Japan as advised.Thank you

regards

Prasana

www.rprasanaphotography.com

Barrie Davis
Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460
Good luck! (nt)
-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

 Barrie Davis's gear list:Barrie Davis's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
Onetrack97 Senior Member • Posts: 1,953
Not Good

Sounds like a poor mechanical design.  I was planning to buying one.

-- hide signature --

Scott

 Onetrack97's gear list:Onetrack97's gear list
Nikon D3 Nikon D7000 Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Nikon D810
(unknown member) Regular Member • Posts: 389
Re: Not Good

I love my Minolta ( sold and made by Kenko nowadays) and will never sell it. I was thinking about a Sekonic L758. But won't do it.

-- hide signature --

\Iggy

Jack A. Zucker Veteran Member • Posts: 3,539
Re: Not Good

Onetrack97 wrote:

Sounds like a poor mechanical design. I was planning to buying one.

-- hide signature --

Scott

Me too. Thanks for the head's up.

antares103 Senior Member • Posts: 1,125
Re: Bought the Sekoinc 478D and Regretting it :(

I have seen many items with a cracked LCD screen but outer glass is intact. It does not take a direct impact to crack an LCD screen, nor does it take a poor design. My limited experience with the meter does not leave me impressed, but I would not dismiss it solely based on a single instance of a cracked screen.

-- hide signature --

Film is a four letter word

 antares103's gear list:antares103's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Snapseed +1 more
John Deerfield Veteran Member • Posts: 3,158
Re: Bought the Sekoinc 478D and Regretting it :(

My limited experience with the meter does not leave me impressed, but I would not dismiss it solely based on a single instance of a cracked screen.

I think the dismissal of the meter is more because Sekonic, at least initially, wasn't going to reapir it under warranty. If the meter is simply in a camera bag and a body/lens/flash/whatever, can hit the screen and break the LCD behind that glass and then not have Sekonic repair it shows amazingly bad judgement on Sekonic's part. I wouldn't buy one based on what I have heard, there are other options available.

antares103 Senior Member • Posts: 1,125
Re: Bought the Sekoinc 478D and Regretting it :(

John Deerfield wrote:

My limited experience with the meter does not leave me impressed, but I would not dismiss it solely based on a single instance of a cracked screen.

I think the dismissal of the meter is more because Sekonic, at least initially, wasn't going to reapir it under warranty. If the meter is simply in a camera bag and a body/lens/flash/whatever, can hit the screen and break the LCD behind that glass and then not have Sekonic repair it shows amazingly bad judgement on Sekonic's part. I wouldn't buy one based on what I have heard, there are other options available.

If the screen came in direct contact with a lens or body or anything else, I would EXPECT it to break. If such was the case, I would most definitely side with Sekonic's decision to not repair it. If it was in its own case, segregated from heavier items and still broke, then there may be some merit for concern. However, LCD screens don't just crack on their own. Or perhaps as time goes by, we will here more cases of this, and find there really is an issue.

-- hide signature --

Film is a four letter word

 antares103's gear list:antares103's gear list
NEX5R Sony Alpha NEX-6 Canon Pixma Pro9000 Mark II Snapseed +1 more
prasanaphoto
OP prasanaphoto Regular Member • Posts: 104
Re: Bought the Sekoinc 478D and Regretting it :(

antares103 wrote:

John Deerfield wrote:

My limited experience with the meter does not leave me impressed, but I would not dismiss it solely based on a single instance of a cracked screen.

I think the dismissal of the meter is more because Sekonic, at least initially, wasn't going to reapir it under warranty. If the meter is simply in a camera bag and a body/lens/flash/whatever, can hit the screen and break the LCD behind that glass and then not have Sekonic repair it shows amazingly bad judgement on Sekonic's part. I wouldn't buy one based on what I have heard, there are other options available.

If the screen came in direct contact with a lens or body or anything else, I would EXPECT it to break. If such was the case, I would most definitely side with Sekonic's decision to not repair it. If it was in its own case, segregated from heavier items and still broke, then there may be some merit for concern. However, LCD screens don't just crack on their own. Or perhaps as time goes by, we will here more cases of this, and find there really is an issue.

-- hide signature --

Film is a four letter word

I would like to clarify a few things

a) The meter was kept safely in its pouch inside a seperate padded enclosure in my Lowepro camera bag.

b) It was no way under pressure from the lens or the body because i dont keep them too close.

c) Iam  very possessive about my things so i dont even let my assistants handle anything except the lights and tripod.So its a single user product from day one.

d) Initially i connected the meter to the PC using the provided  USB Port with Sekonics  Data transfer software 3.0 to update the firmware as per sekonics advice.Guess what as soon as i opened the rubber cover for the USB port..The entire rubber grip on the side came peeling off.Its not properly attached to the side.

e) Lastly .I feel its a fair deal if Sekonic actually examines the meter and if it finds user error or any signs of internal damage instead of outrightly dismissing it as user error without even opening it !! .If its my mistake then  I will be glad to get my meter back repaired ,even if its not under warranty.Because iam having a tough time doing multile lighting set ups without a light meter

regards

Prasana

www.rprasanaphotography.com

prasanaphoto
OP prasanaphoto Regular Member • Posts: 104
Re: Sekonic replaced it !!!

Hello friends,

Today I received a call from Shrishti Digilife the authorized  Sekonic dealer and guess what? Sekonic acknowledged that it was defective and replaced it with a new one.Feeling glad that the INdian dealer took necessary action.Guess we have to be careful while purchasing newly launched products

Regards

Prasana

www.rprasanaphotography.com

Regards

chasg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,413
thanks for the update Prasana

Much appreciated.

Chas

prasanaphoto wrote:

Hello friends,

Today I received a call from Shrishti Digilife the authorized Sekonic dealer and guess what? Sekonic acknowledged that it was defective and replaced it with a new one.Feeling glad that the INdian dealer took necessary action.Guess we have to be careful while purchasing newly launched products

Regards

Prasana

www.rprasanaphotography.com

Regards

Barrie Davis
Barrie Davis Forum Pro • Posts: 21,460
Re: thanks for the update Prasana

chasg wrote:

Much appreciated.

Chas

prasanaphoto wrote:

Hello friends,

Today I received a call from Shrishti Digilife the authorized Sekonic dealer and guess what? Sekonic acknowledged that it was defective and replaced it with a new one.Feeling glad that the INdian dealer took necessary action.Guess we have to be careful while purchasing newly launched products

Yes, thanks for letting us know. I am sure we are all glad you have had a reasonable outcome in this matter. Also, I hope the replacement meter gives long and satisfactory service...

.... (like that I have had from my Minolta V flashmeter.)

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Baz
"Ahh... But the thing is, these guys were no ORDINARY time travellers!"

 Barrie Davis's gear list:Barrie Davis's gear list
Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads