Silkypix Developer Studio Pro for Panasonic - Special !!!

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions
Florida Nature Photographer Veteran Member • Posts: 8,111
Re: Silkypix Developer Studio Pro for Panasonic - Special !!!

I don't know how valid this is going to be but I'm going to try. This is inside a hotel lobby not a home. On my monitors both IPS and TN I see a very clear yellow cast on the SilkyPix version. How about you?

And Chris yes I can see the difference side by side in SilkyPix but now that I've closed the program I can't seem to get back to the original RAW version of the file. The "initial state" in the history is the edited version.

This is exported from the RAW file.

This is exported from the SilkyPix TIFF

-- hide signature --

Florida

Florida Nature Photographer's gear list:Florida Nature Photographer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more
Ronomy
Ronomy Veteran Member • Posts: 4,062

Absolutely!  So all you did was output RAW to tiff and looking directly at the tiff file its yellow?

I can try converting some of mine to tiff!

Ronomy's gear list:Ronomy's gear list
Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
Mike Maguire Regular Member • Posts: 305

Ronomy wrote:

Hi Mike, it installs fine on 32 bit OS...XP!

Ron

Thanks Ron ... better give it a go then.

Another thought ... my PC is ancient & on 32 bit Vista. Wife has modern powerful Dell Laptop running 64 bit. Silkypix allows 2 copies to download, guess I'd better download on both for now ... so that I can then transfer the 64 bit version to a new 64 bit desktop in a few months time when I take the plunge  ... assuming that will be possible?

MikeM

Ronomy

They allow you to register 2 PC's and you can unregister too so you can transfer to another PC.  You only need one download.  One download works on both 32 and 64 bit.  Just don't lose the unlock serial number when they send it to you.

Canon PowerShot SD800 IS Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM +6 more
Mike Maguire Regular Member • Posts: 305

Thanks again Ron.
MikeM

O.K. I now believe I may have been not recognizing the issue although it has been mentioned here before... Primarly because I'm kind of lost on the issue of Color Space. Here are my color space settings in Silky Pix... Note that it is recognizing the profile I created with i1Profiler when I calibrated my monitor. I've read the part of the manual about color space but I'm still pretty lost on what I need to do.

My four choices for output color space are shown below. How do I know which one to choose?
Specified color space in parameter
sRGB
AdobeRGB
Convert to designated color space

And BTW I don't know how to find the specified color space in parameter (whatever that is)

SilkyPix color space options

-- hide signature --

Florida

Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Topaz Adjust +3 more

I just noticed that SilkyPix is not using my most recent profile although the one it is using should be fine. This screen shot shows the one my monitor is using...

I suppose I should mention also that Windows Picture Viewer shows my photos much darker than they really are. I Googled that has something to do with having a calibrated monitor. Since I'm now using FastPictureViewer I haven't  worried about fixing that but it could be a clue to someone who understands this stuff.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Ronomy

Hmm...I don't recall Silkypix being set to output per my monitor.  The PC should adjust for that.  Windows and my display card are set to my monitors required settings/driver.

Ronomy

Mine is set to AnimePalette.

Ronomy wrote:

Your what is AnimePalette?

-- hide signature --

Florida

Ronomy

Florida Nature Photographer wrote:

Ronomy wrote:

Your what is AnimePalette?

-- hide signature --

Florida

Output color space in Silkypix!  I didn't set it.  That's the default setting for both tiff and jpg.  So far I see no color shifts.

OP ChrisJS Regular Member • Posts: 120

And Chris yes I can see the difference side by side in SilkyPix but now that I've closed the program I can't seem to get back to the original RAW version of the file. The "initial state" in the history is the edited version.......

In SP5 highlight (browser) or view the image then Operation menu then 'initalize development parameters' will reset RAW to original camera settings.  If there is a tick beside it then no development settings have been made.

Hope this helps...

Kind Regards
Chris

ChrisJS wrote:

Fire up SilkyPix and via browser mode have a dual window and compare the RAW view with the TIFF view, side by side. If there is no difference then it is not the TIFF output mechanics - perhaps you are using different colour spaces in the mix somewhere?

I'm not sure I understand this exactly. What I did was open SilkyPix and using the compare feature looked at the RAW image and the RAW image with the default taste applied. I immediately saw the yellow cast. Then when I export the TIFF I see the same yellow cast.

Does that mean it is not a color space problem?

-- hide signature --

Florida

sherman_levine wrote:

One other thing I could use a hand on. SilkyPix doesn't appear to retain history from session like Lightroom does. Once you close the program you can't go back through changes you made during your last session.

Am I missing something?

-- hide signature --

Florida

It seems to me that it does save them...as long as you don't rename the image or move it to a different folder. All the modification instructions are stored in the SILKYPIX_DS subfolder of the original image.
Sherm

Sherm just for your education what I'm talking about is not that the images shows your changes but that the history log allows you to go back to each step of your changes.

Lightroom allows this. If I make 10 setting changes, close Lightroom, and reopen it. I can go back and see what the image looked like after change 4 (for instance). SilkyPix does not retain a list of all the changes so you can't do that.

I hope that was clear.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Re: well, after my griping

vikingo wrote:

I I have installed the version that comes with the camera, the S Developer Studio 3.1 SE, which s the link simply ebaja Free version is depressed with what I have or install another software package,?? Thanks

-- hide signature --

LUMIX FZ 50 , ahora FZ 200, conociendola....

Sorry but I can't make sense of your question. The link to the newest Panasonic specific version of SilkyPix is in the first message of this thread.

-- hide signature --

Florida

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,091

sherman_levine wrote:

One other thing I could use a hand on. SilkyPix doesn't appear to retain history from session like Lightroom does. Once you close the program you can't go back through changes you made during your last session.

Am I missing something?

-- hide signature --

Florida

It seems to me that it does save them...as long as you don't rename the image or move it to a different folder. All the modification instructions are stored in the SILKYPIX_DS subfolder of the original image.
Sherm

Sherm just for your education what I'm talking about is not that the images shows your changes but that the history log allows you to go back to each step of your changes.

Lightroom allows this. If I make 10 setting changes, close Lightroom, and reopen it. I can go back and see what the image looked like after change 4 (for instance). SilkyPix does not retain a list of all the changes so you can't do that.

I hope that was clear.

-- hide signature --

Florida

That's not good. I reported it to them as a problem. They can certainly store multiple image-specific histories if you (for example) open a folder, so they should be able to save them between sessions.

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82

ChrisJS wrote:

Fire up SilkyPix and via browser mode have a dual window and compare the RAW view with the TIFF view, side by side. If there is no difference then it is not the TIFF output mechanics - perhaps you are using different colour spaces in the mix somewhere?

I'm not sure I understand this exactly. What I did was open SilkyPix and using the compare feature looked at the RAW image and the RAW image with the default taste applied. I immediately saw the yellow cast. Then when I export the TIFF I see the same yellow cast.

Does that mean it is not a color space problem?

-- hide signature --

Florida

Hi Florida...

We could be kinda hogging the DPR board a bit - I catch you later if you wish on the old ACR site, EMAIL me a Florida time and I'll try and meet you there at the same instance and we'll go through it to sort you out.... hopefully... Remember I'm +5 hours here in Co Antrim...

Kind Regards
Chris

I hope that was clear.

-- hide signature --

Florida

That's not good. I reported it to them as a problem. They can certainly store multiple image-specific histories if you (for example) open a folder, so they should be able to save them between sessions.

Sherm

Hi folks,

4.16 in the manual covers the History logs.

For development work I do not see retaining the editing history steps as an issue nor a requirement.  The RAW image can be reset easily and parameters adjusted at will.  Adobe ACR in CS5 and I believe CS6, do not have any histories either, OK you can save snapshots, but the same applies in SP under different naming conventions.

Photoshop once the file file is saved and closed does not keep the history steps.....  Lightroom has decided otherwise, for good reason, as unlike PS, it does not overtly use layers and when you start messing with brushes in specific areas then the history retention makes sense.

Kind regards
Chris

sherman_levine
sherman_levine Forum Pro • Posts: 11,091

ChrisJS wrote:

I hope that was clear.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Sherm

Hi folks,

4.16 in the manual covers the History logs.

For development work I do not see retaining the editing history steps as an issue nor a requirement. The RAW image can be reset easily and parameters adjusted at will. Adobe ACR in CS5 and I believe CS6, do not have any histories either, OK you can save snapshots, but the same applies in SP under different naming conventions.

Photoshop once the file file is saved and closed does not keep the history steps..... Lightroom has decided otherwise, for good reason, as unlike PS, it does not overtly use layers and when you start messing with brushes in specific areas then the history retention makes sense.

Kind regards
Chris

Chris,

That makes sense from a processing perspective, since SP stores a list of values for the various parameters, and processes these in its internally-determined sequence ...starting from the original image and independent of the editing sequence.  Consequently the editing sequence per se isn't really relevant to the processing.

It would be nice, however, to be able to review an edited image and easily determine how it was changed from the initial SP assignment.

Thanks

Sherm

sherman_levine's gear list:sherman_levine's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic FZ80/FZ82

ChrisJS wrote:

We could be kinda hogging the DPR board a bit - I catch you later if you wish on the old ACR site, EMAIL me a Florida time and I'll try and meet you there at the same instance and we'll go through it to sort you out.... hopefully... Remember I'm +5 hours here in Co Antrim...

Email sent.

-- hide signature --

Florida

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads