Goodbye Nikon

Started Dec 14, 2012 | Discussions
fpiccarello Forum Member • Posts: 56
Goodbye Nikon

Well I finally made the jump. After 30 some odd years of being a die hard Nikon user I dumped all my Nikon digital and switched to  a Sony a77 & the NEX5N. Yes Nikon made some fine cameras what's left of their film cameras are still some of the best but their latest digital left me frustrated. Slow AF, issues with back focus, and it seems like all they have been doing is recycling the same cameras and upping the price. The d600 is just the D7000 with a full frame sensor (yes I know it has other features)which happens to be made by Sony. So to me it was only logical then to buy a camera made by the company that makes the sensor. No every shot I take is sharp, clear and I couldn't be happier. So goodbye Nikon it's been a long relationship but now it's over and I'm not looking back. lol

fpiccarello's gear list:fpiccarello's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 6 Plus Adobe Photoshop Touch +1 more
Nikon D600 Nikon D7000 Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rithex Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: Goodbye Nikon

Welcome to the dark side

billorg Senior Member • Posts: 1,222

Welcome to the world of Sony!  You will love their unique cameras and the 2 you have are their best along with the A99!  I have all three.

The favorite lenses for my NEX are:

50mm f/1.8 DT Alpha A-Mount Prime Lens (great inexpensive lens, cannot go wrong) along with the LA-EA2 adapter

For the widest end: Zeiss 18mm f/4 Distagon T* ZM (manual focus, easy with focus peaking, needs an adapter)

Various Minolta Maxxum lenses w/the LA-EA2 adapter are excellent.  I love my 135 2.8 and my 50mm 1.4, my 70-210 f4 beercan and 75-300 f4.5-5.6.

Can't go wrong with a 28-75, I have the Tamron in a Sony mount.

One size fits all, I have the E-mount 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 which isn't bad, but I like the others better.

I don't care for either kit lens (pancake or 18-55).

Bill

billorg's gear list:billorg's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha a99 Nikon D500 +16 more
cyainparadise Veteran Member • Posts: 5,577

fpiccarello wrote:

Well I finally made the jump. After 30 some odd years of being a die hard Nikon user I dumped all my Nikon digital and switched to a Sony a77 & the NEX5N. Yes Nikon made some fine cameras what's left of their film cameras are still some of the best but their latest digital left me frustrated. Slow AF, issues with back focus, and it seems like all they have been doing is recycling the same cameras and upping the price. The d600 is just the D7000 with a full frame sensor (yes I know it has other features)which happens to be made by Sony. So to me it was only logical then to buy a camera made by the company that makes the sensor. No every shot I take is sharp, clear and I couldn't be happier. So goodbye Nikon it's been a long relationship but now it's over and I'm not looking back. lol

I hope you know the A77 has its own problem with back focus.

OP fpiccarello Forum Member • Posts: 56

cyainparadise wrote:

fpiccarello wrote:

Well I finally made the jump. After 30 some odd years of being a die hard Nikon user I dumped all my Nikon digital and switched to a Sony a77 & the NEX5N. Yes Nikon made some fine cameras what's left of their film cameras are still some of the best but their latest digital left me frustrated. Slow AF, issues with back focus, and it seems like all they have been doing is recycling the same cameras and upping the price. The d600 is just the D7000 with a full frame sensor (yes I know it has other features)which happens to be made by Sony. So to me it was only logical then to buy a camera made by the company that makes the sensor. No every shot I take is sharp, clear and I couldn't be happier. So goodbye Nikon it's been a long relationship but now it's over and I'm not looking back. lol

I've read all the reviews on the a77 so I knew what to expect and I am happy to say I haven't had any problems yet. I'm not a low light shooter so the noise issue isn't that big of a deal for me. I shoot only RAW so the muddy" JPGs aren't a problem. I did shoot some low light JPGs and didn't find them to be any worse then any other camera I've used. As far as focus issues I find that I shoot sharper images using an inexpensive lens then when I used my Nikon D7000 and an expensive lens, and I love the focus system on the Sony.

Olympus E-M1 Olympus PEN-F Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 Apple iPhone 6 Plus Adobe Photoshop Touch +1 more
billorg Senior Member • Posts: 1,222

I have never had that happen on my A77 and have used many lenses on it.  The only one I had a lot of problems with was my Canon gear, the lenses and bodies just never meshed and needed a lot of AF MA.

Bill

billorg's gear list:billorg's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 70D Sony Alpha a99 Nikon D500 +16 more
OntarioJohn
OntarioJohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,959

Best of luck.  My 'lightbulb' moments were reading Gary Friedman's book on the a77.

He worked for Nasa, and has a lot of experience.  You will love the book and the layout.  It's a good read, and you get the most out of your gear.  Not to be overlooked.

I have the digital version on my iMac and my ipad.

Don't leave home without it.

-- hide signature --

Retired forensic photographer.
London, Ontario, Canada.

OntarioJohn's gear list:OntarioJohn's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Konica Minolta Maxxum 5D Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM +3 more
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,485

FYI, the A77 is one of the only cameras that has the ability to correct any front or back focus issues.. Having Micro adjustability is a very big deal.

Also for 26 dollars Gary Friedman's Ebook is well worth the money.. its will be the best 26 dollars you could spend on that camera.
http://www.friedmanarchives.com/alpha77/index.htm

-- hide signature --

Bill aka EO

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
PaulSnowcat
PaulSnowcat Contributing Member • Posts: 980

Welcome to the SONY world!

A77 is extremely enjoyable camera, so you'll not be disappointed.

But lens-wise Nikon is more experienced... SONY's lenses (not all) are often overpriced unfortunately. But still there are Tamron and Sigma to back that up.

I own 7 lenses, and only one of them is SONY - 16-50/2.8, which is almost a flawless lens.

-- hide signature --
 PaulSnowcat's gear list:PaulSnowcat's gear list
Nikon D7500 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
Alan_S
Alan_S Senior Member • Posts: 1,833

cyainparadise wrote:

Gosh, where have I been (?), I've never heard this before. Great thing about a77 and backfocus is that IF it exists there is a microadjust option to take care of it. I own two a77 bodies, have run both of them through calibration with the 16-50mm, 24-70cz, 70-200G, and 70-400G lenses. One of my bodies needed a -2 adjustment on the 70-200, all others are spot on without adjustment with all four lenses.

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
Alan_S
Alan_S Senior Member • Posts: 1,833
Welcome!

You've picked up a nice set that I'm sure you will enjoy. Congrats on the new purchase!

-- hide signature --

- AlanS

Alan_S's gear list:Alan_S's gear list
Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM II Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +2 more
quatpat Contributing Member • Posts: 985

cyainparadise wrote:

Really? My A77 must be defective then, because it lets me correct back or front focusing lenses via the fucus adjustment feature.

qp

quatpat's gear list:quatpat's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Tamron SP AF 200-500mm F/5-6.3 Di LD (IF) Sony DT 50mm F1.8 SAM +2 more
Karl Scharf
Karl Scharf Veteran Member • Posts: 3,969

Congratulations! And yes, there comes a point where old technology reaches a dead end.

My hats off to Sony for realizing this and providing us with some really nice new technology.

Enjoy your new tools and welcome to the Sony Alpha SLR/SLT Talk Forum. Hope you will post some images soon.

-- hide signature --

Karl Scharf >>> ( Sony SLT-A77, Rokinon 8mm, Sigma 10-20 f4.0-5.6, Sigma 18-250 f3.5-6.3, Sigma 50-500 f4.5-6.3 OS, Minolta 70-210 f4.0, Minolta 50 f1.7, Kenko 1.4x DGX ) <<<

Karl Scharf's gear list:Karl Scharf's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a77 II Sigma 18-250mm F3.5-6.3 DC OS HSM Sigma 50-500mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM Samyang 8mm F3.5 Aspherical IF MC Fisheye +8 more
J Birn Contributing Member • Posts: 909
Same Here...

I used to shoot a Nikon N50 (film camera), my first digital camera was a Nikon Coolpix 950 (great digital camera for the time and price, loved the swiveling design that got me hooked on pivoting LCD display screens), my first digital SLR was the Nikon D70, 2nd dSLR was a Nikon D200.

Then it was time to upgrade.

I wanted video, wanted better performance, was looking at smaller packages. I considered the NEX line, but in 2010 that meant no viewfinder and no phase detection AF, so I went up to the only slightly larger Sony a55. Wow. The Sony a55 worked so well that I sold all my Nikon gear. Now I'm just getting into my 2nd SLT with the a99 (my first full-frame digital) and I'm loving it. Not that other brands don't have their advantages, and not that I don't post some complaints and suggestions on this forum about things I wish Sony would do better, but the picture quality and versatility of this camera is amazing. Especially with how well the CZ 24-70 is working out for me, I suspect I'll be using this kit for quite a few years. When I get the budget I want to get more good lenses for it, though...

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

J Birn's gear list:J Birn's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony Alpha a7R III Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
J Birn Contributing Member • Posts: 909

I agree Sony lenses are over-priced. Even some of the 3rd-party lenses sell the Sony-mount for the same price as Nikon or Canon mount, even if the Nikon and Canon mount lenses have VC built-in and the Sony versions don't. They explain that the Sony cameras have VC in the body so they don't need it, but when they take that out of the lens the price really should come down.

Recently, since I upgraded to full frame, I've been re-thinking my lens strategy, and I've realized I was getting too many lenses that each involved their own compromises, instead of focusing on just getting a few really great lenses. I don't really need to take the CZ 24-70 off the camera to put on a prime within that zoom range, for example, if the CZ 24-70 gives me better quality than many of the primes I could be using. I still need to pick one FF wide-angle lens, but then I'm going to try to slow it down and not get so many lenses as I had been buying. One really great lens is worth more than two or three lesser lenses.

-- hide signature --

Jeremy Birn

J Birn's gear list:J Birn's gear list
Sony RX100 V Sony Alpha a7R III Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
underxposed59 Contributing Member • Posts: 786

Welcome

You mention one of the deciding factors for your switch is slow AF.  What camera would this be on?

As I understood present day Nikon had class leading auto focus systems.

Anyway I'm sure you will enjoy your A77. Here is a link to another site with tons of information on all things A/E-mount not just Sony

http://www.dyxum.com/

underxposed59's gear list:underxposed59's gear list
Sony a6000
topstuff Senior Member • Posts: 1,209
Welcome ! I think you are going to love it...

I sold a pair of Nikon D300's to get into Sony with the A77, spurred on by a foreign trip.  I wanted to experiment with video as well, and fancied the  full AF in live view the Sony does so well.

I did not expect to like the A77 as much as I do.  It really is terrific for most purposes.

Above all, I like the EVF.  It transforms your approach to shooting.  Getting a clear understanding how the camera sees the image BEFORE you shoot is amazing, the EVF responding to exposure comp and WB changes as you make them.  And you'll be really stoked how you can make the focus peaking come on with AF,  showing up the in focus areas so clearly.  It becomes easy to really nail focus on the eyes when doing portraits.

Its also great fun shooting black and white - you can configure the EVF so you see in B&W.

Its great fun to use.

underxposed59 wrote:

Welcome

You mention one of the deciding factors for your switch is slow AF. What camera would this be on?

As I understood present day Nikon had class leading auto focus systems.

Anyway I'm sure you will enjoy your A77. Here is a link to another site with tons of information on all things A/E-mount not just Sony

http://www.dyxum.com

Pretty much all of the newer camers I has having focusing issues with. The D7000, D5100, D90. The older camera like the D700, D300 were fine. Also with the new system you had to pretty much have top of the line lenses to get the most out of the camera. I had a lot of older lenses from when I waas shooting film that just didn't give me great results.

With the Sony A77I have the kit and an very inexpensive 85mm lens which I get sharper images and faster focusing, then the Nikon and my NEX5n the low light images and focusing are foar better than any of the Nikons I've used. I originally had the NEX5n and this was what made me switch to Sony.

Thanks for the link

Re: Welcome ! I think you are going to love it...

topstuff wrote:

I sold a pair of Nikon D300's to get into Sony with the A77, spurred on by a foreign trip. I wanted to experiment with video as well, and fancied the full AF in live view the Sony does so well.

I did not expect to like the A77 as much as I do. It really is terrific for most purposes.

Above all, I like the EVF. It transforms your approach to shooting. Getting a clear understanding how the camera sees the image BEFORE you shoot is amazing, the EVF responding to exposure comp and WB changes as you make them. And you'll be really stoked how you can make the focus peaking come on with AF, showing up the in focus areas so clearly. It becomes easy to really nail focus on the eyes when doing portraits.

Its also great fun shooting black and white - you can configure the EVF so you see in B&W.

Its great fun to use.

The EVF is one of the reasons I like the camera. I do a lot of B&W photography and I love the fact that I can see what I'm shooting as B&W.

PaulSnowcat
PaulSnowcat Contributing Member • Posts: 980

I think the same things, but after some time I've found myself owning seven lenses lol... Buying lenses is like narcotic After some time an itch appears and you go and buy something  new or used...

Anyway, Right now I have a good lens setup I am happy with...

Sony 16-50/2.8 - Almost flawless lens. The main lens for me in most cases.

Tamron 10-24/3.5-4.5 - Unexpectedly great UWA lens, I love it.

Tamron 60/2 macro - my latest lens. Right now I think it's a GREAT lens.

Tamron 70-300 USD - nice telefoto lens. Not that good for portraits but very good for birds or sports.

Tamron 35-105/2.8 - an old lens. I was hunting for it during whole year, it's quite rare. Unique portrait zoom with beautiful bokeh.

Sigma 18-250 OS HSM - Well... Ultrazoom... All in one if it's needed. Just handy to have one.

Tamron 200-400/5.6 - Um... I never used it yet... Had no chance. Bought it for a good price, hope it's a nice lens At least it looks terrific.

-- hide signature --
 PaulSnowcat's gear list:PaulSnowcat's gear list
Nikon D7500 Sigma 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC Macro OS HSM | C Tokina AT-X Pro 12-24mm f/4 DX II Sigma 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM Art Tamron 16-300mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC PZD Macro
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads