Problem with OMD and Metz flash in RC mode

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions
caloymiranda Regular Member • Posts: 315
Problem with OMD and Metz flash in RC mode

Hey Guys,
I just discovered this problem and have been searching for a solution without much success.

I did find one other guy with the same problem as me but sadly no one responded to his query.  here is the link:

http://www.mu-43.com/f106/problem-my-omd-metz-af50-during-off-camera-flash-32111/

So here is the skinny:

I tried using a Metz 44 AF-1 in RC mode with my OMD.  Group A, channel 1, clip on flash active

• If I use TTL mode, the flash fires every single time i press the shutter however, it does not always illuminate my subject, indicating some problems with sync
  • If I set it to M mode, it doesn't fire at all.  i tried changing channels without any success

Has anyone experienced something similar?

By the way, i have an e-pl2 and the flash works perfectly on it every single time.

My OMD has the latest firmware while the metz flash does not have any updates available.

Any input or feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carlo

caloymiranda's gear list:caloymiranda's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +4 more
Olympus PEN E-PL2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
DrummerBL Senior Member • Posts: 1,023
Re: Problem with OMD and Metz flash in RC mode

Carlo,

I had the Metz 48. Seems the OMD has some problems with RC mode (especially when flash is in Manual, which is what I prefer to use). Even my 36r does not consistantly flash in RC mode, my 50r seems to be better. Never had a problem with my E-3 or E-5 bodies. Not sure the answer, but I have problems too.

Bruce

DrummerBL's gear list:DrummerBL's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 +6 more
OP caloymiranda Regular Member • Posts: 315

DrummerBL wrote:

Carlo,

I had the Metz 48. Seems the OMD has some problems with RC mode (especially when flash is in Manual, which is what I prefer to use). Even my 36r does not consistantly flash in RC mode, my 50r seems to be better. Never had a problem with my E-3 or E-5 bodies. Not sure the answer, but I have problems too.

Bruce

Sorry to hear that Bruce.  In a way, im glad to know the problem is not unique to my unit alone.  If there is a solution out there, i hope it finds its way to us.

I'l try to send a note to olympus tech support in the morning, as its already midnight here.  Thanks!

Carlo

Olympus PEN E-PL2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II +4 more
poonkm New Member • Posts: 11

I had the same problem n brought this matter to Olympus. They found the solution for me. You have to turn on the setting below "c", which has a camera silhouette. Only then can you operate on manual. The other thing is the maximum shutter speed that can be used is 160.

-- hide signature --

PKM

poonkm wrote:

I had the same problem n brought this matter to Olympus. They found the solution for me. You have to turn on the setting below "c", which has a camera silhouette. Only then can you operate on manual. The other thing is the maximum shutter speed that can be used is 160.

Hi PKM,

Thanks for the response.  I think that setting is for the fill flash.  If you turn it on (M or TTL) it will iluminate your subject along with triggering the remote flashes.  Its the very feature i wanted to test which made me run into this problem in the first place.  I just tested it again now and no, the external flash is not triggering

Carlo

Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,262

There seems to be a general problem with Metz flashes operating remotely with the E-M5

This post  details problems with the Metz 58

I have the Metz 50 and have the same problem.

It works in TTL mode when in Group A in both normal and FP/HSS mode.

It doesn't work manually in any Group but pseudo manual control can be achieved by using TTL and adjusting the flash compensation which has a range of -5.0 to +5.0 in 0.3 steps.

What can be done?

• Complain to Metz
  • Complain to Olympus

The more of us who complain the more likely we are to get a fix.

By the way does's anyone know if it's just the E-M5 or are the GH3, E-PL5 and other Pens also affected.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Peter 'Keep taking the photos'

Peter 1745 wrote:

There seems to be a general problem with Metz flashes operating remotely with the E-M5

This post details problems with the Metz 58

I have the Metz 50 and have the same problem.

It works in TTL mode when in Group A in both normal and FP/HSS mode.

It doesn't work manually in any Group but pseudo manual control can be achieved by using TTL and adjusting the flash compensation which has a range of -5.0 to +5.0 in 0.3 steps.

What can be done?

• Complain to Metz
  • Complain to Olympus

The more of us who complain the more likely we are to get a fix.

By the way does's anyone know if it's just the E-M5 or are the GH3, E-PL5 and other Pens also affected.

Thanks Peter.

As i said on another post, I'm glad i'm not alone.  This is a major concern and it should have been addressed already given how long the OMD has been on the market.  I don't have any oly flashes but i guess its safe to assume that oly flashes have no issues with the OMD?

it does work on TTL but i think those who care enough to use RC mode would prefer manual control of the flash (at least thats my opinion).

And yes, you are right...i will complain on both camps.

poonkm New Member • Posts: 11

Hi Carlo,

my experience was with the fl50r. I have been using RC with my e30 n e3 for couple of years. I could not get the same from the em5. I brought 3 of my flashes to Olympus Singapore n that was the only way it could be triggered. I also posed them the same statement that turning that on will add light to my subject.

My other peeve is that using the em5, the max snc speed is 160 where I could get 250 with the e series.

Just sharing my experience.

-- hide signature --

PKM

FrankParis Senior Member • Posts: 1,042

I wonder why the Metz 15 MS-1 has worked (only in RC mode) for me the first time I tried months ago? This is a dedicated wireless slave macro (shaped like a ring) flash. It's just about the most transparent flash I've ever worked with. It just works. I've only tested it in TTL mode however.
--
Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more

Thanks for sharing.  I have sent an email to Olympus USA about this though i'm not sure they'll answer since i'm not from the US.  Olympus does not have any support centers where i live.

FrankParis wrote:

I wonder why the Metz 15 MS-1 has worked (only in RC mode) for me the first time I tried months ago? This is a dedicated wireless slave macro (shaped like a ring) flash. It's just about the most transparent flash I've ever worked with. It just works. I've only tested it in TTL mode however.
--

Hi Frank,

TTL usually works fine based on my tests.  The problem lies on using M mode.

Carlo

caloymiranda wrote:

FrankParis wrote:

I wonder why the Metz 15 MS-1 has worked (only in RC mode) for me the first time I tried months ago? This is a dedicated wireless slave macro (shaped like a ring) flash. It's just about the most transparent flash I've ever worked with. It just works. I've only tested it in TTL mode however.
--

Hi Frank,

TTL usually works fine based on my tests. The problem lies on using M mode.

Carlo

TTL is orthogonal to M mode. I always shoot TTL in M mode.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Phil Senior Member • Posts: 1,003

Maybe if you want to shoot M just buy some cheap wireless triggers.  None of them shoot TTL with Olympus anyway, so no since paying for TTL.

-- hide signature --

Phil

Phil's gear list:Phil's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II Olympus E-M1 II

Phil wrote:

Maybe if you want to shoot M just buy some cheap wireless triggers. None of them shoot TTL with Olympus anyway, so no since paying for TTL.

Why do that when you have the FL-LM2 that comes with the E-M5? That's what I do to trigger the Metz 15 MS-1 in RC mode, and it is 99% reliable. Before I realized how elegant the FL-LM2 was as a trouble-free trigger, I tried to find a wireless trigger that worked and failed. The one that looked promising was $80 and didn't work. Sent it back.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis wrote:

Phil wrote:

Maybe if you want to shoot M just buy some cheap wireless triggers. None of them shoot TTL with Olympus anyway, so no since paying for TTL.

Why do that when you have the FL-LM2 that comes with the E-M5? That's what I do to trigger the Metz 15 MS-1 in RC mode, and it is 99% reliable. Before I realized how elegant the FL-LM2 was as a trouble-free trigger, I tried to find a wireless trigger that worked and failed. The one that looked promising was $80 and didn't work. Sent it back.

only for me (and a few other people here) it doesn't i am actually considering buying cheap radio triggers for this.  I'll have to test them first of course.

FrankParis wrote:

caloymiranda wrote:

FrankParis wrote:

--

Hi Frank,

TTL usually works fine based on my tests. The problem lies on using M mode.

Carlo

TTL is orthogonal to M mode. I always shoot TTL in M mode.

I'm not sure i quite understand but i was referring to M mode on the RC control panel where you get to set your own value for flash strength (from 1/1 to 1/128).  TTL works fine, M mode doesn't.  The fact that it works on my e-pl2 makes me think it can be solved by a firmware update.

caloymiranda wrote:

I'm not sure i quite understand but i was referring to M mode on the RC control panel where you get to set your own value for flash strength (from 1/1 to 1/128). TTL works fine, M mode doesn't. The fact that it works on my e-pl2 makes me think it can be solved by a firmware update.

I don't understand, either. When I bring up RC mode, it only gives me the options of being ON or OFF, nothing about flash strength. What am I missing? I have David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photograph, too, and I can't find a word about any such thing associated with RC mode.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis wrote:

caloymiranda wrote:

I'm not sure i quite understand but i was referring to M mode on the RC control panel where you get to set your own value for flash strength (from 1/1 to 1/128). TTL works fine, M mode doesn't. The fact that it works on my e-pl2 makes me think it can be solved by a firmware update.

I don't understand, either. When I bring up RC mode, it only gives me the options of being ON or OFF, nothing about flash strength. What am I missing? I have David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photograph, too, and I can't find a word about any such thing associated with RC mode.

No worries Frank. Here is a snap of what I was referring to:

Metz flashes use group A. You can set that to M, TTL, Auto or OFF. It works fine on TTL, not at all on M or Auto.

Carlo

Peter 1745 Senior Member • Posts: 1,262

Here's how to find the flash RC control panel

• Turn Flash RC on in the menu.
  • Return to live view
  • Press OK button, this brings up the control panels
  • If necessary use the info button to scroll through the available control panels.

The Flash Control Panel (FCP) works the same way as the SCP

-- hide signature --

Regards, Peter 'Keep taking the photos'

Peter 1745 wrote:
Here's how to find the flash RC control panel

• Turn Flash RC on in the menu.
  • Return to live view
  • Press OK button, this brings up the control panels
  • If necessary use the info button to scroll through the available control panels.

The Flash Control Panel (FCP) works the same way as the SCP

Thanks for these instructions. Seems there is no end to the depths of this camera's menu system. I was able to find it, and change it.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads