FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

Started Dec 13, 2012 | Discussions
Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,395
FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

I live in UK, so does the PAL v. NTSC video thing matter? Or would an NTSC camera be less attractive to UK buyers when I re-sell it later?

I guess that an NTSC one might be slightly less attractive when I re-sell it later in UK, being an import, which has a bit of a stigma attached?

Mike

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,395
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

Anyone, please?

Mike

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
Trafford
Trafford Veteran Member • Posts: 8,255
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

Mikedigi wrote:

Anyone, please?

Mike

Not to me, but I don't do a lot of video these days.

kkardster
kkardster Veteran Member • Posts: 8,080
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

PAL vs. NTSC was a big deal in the analog world and, unfortunately, in the digital world they are still somewhat different animals that could affect your reselling the FZ200.  The video frame rates differ (30/60/120/240 for NTSC, 25/50/100/200 for PAL), so there's the possibility that the NTSC camera or video may not play back properly on a PAL TV.

On the plus side, the NTSC camera will not have the 30 minute video limitation that the European models have.

-- hide signature --

You learn something new every time you press the shutter

 kkardster's gear list:kkardster's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LZ7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic ZS100 +5 more
Jerry045
Jerry045 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,228
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

Mike:

For normal still pictures that is no factor.

So...  Are you going to take any videos? What are you going to play them back on?

Most modern day TV's automatically select between NTSC and PAL. That way a manufacturer can sell his TV's anywhere. Does your TV?

Your PC should format either mode on video playback.

I suspect you might discourage a few potential buyers when it comes time to sell locally if they are hung up on the video modes.

I personally do not use my camera for video.

Now, the real question should be...  Can you get any warranty repairs, should you need them, on a camera that was made for a different geographic area? We call those grey market cameras here in the Colonies, and some manufacturer's will not honor a warranty on those cameras.

-- hide signature --

Jerry

 Jerry045's gear list:Jerry045's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS20 Sony RX10 III +2 more
windmillgolfer
windmillgolfer Forum Pro • Posts: 13,786
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

Mike, as others have already highlighted, modern TVs in the UK although processing PAL are usually able to display NTSC signals. I'm not sure what the implications are for editing on your PC.  I think it is all down to the bottom line; is there a big saving price wise once transport and, potentially, import tax/duty has been paid.  This pl;ace is usally pretty good - I've had a couple of cameras from them http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/search.asp?searchtype=Digmake&searchfor=Panasonic

Good Luck  -  Stuart

 windmillgolfer's gear list:windmillgolfer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS40 (TZ60) Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF7 Panasonic G85
ericN2
ericN2 Forum Pro • Posts: 16,795
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

Jerry045 wrote:

Mike:

.. snip ..

Now, the real question should be... Can you get any warranty repairs, should you need them, on a camera that was made for a different geographic area? We call those grey market cameras here in the Colonies, and some manufacturer's will not honor a warranty on those cameras.

Yes.. and I'm sure that is a factor even you (yourself as owner) should think about.  I'm not sure about all makes but I'm sure many/most of the big names would not accept much in the way of Warranty repair or other work if the camera didn't have a UK Warranty.  I'm never sure WHY this variant may be so.. but I suppose there are certain bits that perhaps can vary from one region to another..and of course each area Company I'm sure works on its own financial basis..  this regional Warranty thing has applied on most big names I think for a LONG time...it IS a factor, when you do not buy in your own Country.

-- hide signature --

/eric
Staffordshire, UK

OP Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,395
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

Trafford wrote:

Not to me, but I don't do a lot of video these days.

Thanks Trafford, neither do I.

Mike

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
OP Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,395
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

kkardster wrote:

PAL vs. NTSC was a big deal in the analog world and, unfortunately, in the digital world they are still somewhat different animals that could affect your reselling the FZ200. The video frame rates differ (30/60/120/240 for NTSC, 25/50/100/200 for PAL), so there's the possibility that the NTSC camera or video may not play back properly on a PAL TV.

On the plus side, the NTSC camera will not have the 30 minute video limitation that the European models have.

Thanks Kkardster!

Mike

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
OP Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,395
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

Jerry045 wrote:

Mike:

For normal still pictures that is no factor.

So... Are you going to take any videos? What are you going to play them back on?

Most modern day TV's automatically select between NTSC and PAL. That way a manufacturer can sell his TV's anywhere. Does your TV?

Your PC should format either mode on video playback.

I suspect you might discourage a few potential buyers when it comes time to sell locally if they are hung up on the video modes.

I personally do not use my camera for video.

Now, the real question should be... Can you get any warranty repairs, should you need them, on a camera that was made for a different geographic area? We call those grey market cameras here in the Colonies, and some manufacturer's will not honor a warranty on those cameras.

Thanks Jerry, yes, you are right, and I check warranty details even if I buy on Ebay.

E.g. one Hong Kong supplier offers a nice-sounding 2-year warranty, but the first thing you have to do in case of problems is send the thing back to Hong Kong at your own expense!

Best to wait for the no-brainer Currys/PC World sale! I bought 2 DSLRs there already (they're long gone now).

Mike

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
OP Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,395
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

windmillgolfer wrote:

Mike, as others have already highlighted, modern TVs in the UK although processing PAL are usually able to display NTSC signals. I'm not sure what the implications are for editing on your PC. I think it is all down to the bottom line; is there a big saving price wise once transport and, potentially, import tax/duty has been paid. This pl;ace is usally pretty good - I've had a couple of cameras from them http://www.buyacamera.co.uk/search.asp?searchtype=Digmake&searchfor=Panasonic

Thanks Stuart, and I have noted that link.

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
OP Mikedigi Forum Pro • Posts: 10,395
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

ericN2 wrote:

Jerry045 wrote:

Mike:

.. snip ..

Now, the real question should be... Can you get any warranty repairs, should you need them, on a camera that was made for a different geographic area? We call those grey market cameras here in the Colonies, and some manufacturer's will not honor a warranty on those cameras.

Yes.. and I'm sure that is a factor even you (yourself as owner) should think about. I'm not sure about all makes but I'm sure many/most of the big names would not accept much in the way of Warranty repair or other work if the camera didn't have a UK Warranty. I'm never sure WHY this variant may be so.. but I suppose there are certain bits that perhaps can vary from one region to another..and of course each area Company I'm sure works on its own financial basis.. this regional Warranty thing has applied on most big names I think for a LONG time...it IS a factor, when you do not buy in your own Country.

Thanks Eric, I phoned Panasonic UK about this and they said that if I imported a camera from, say, Hong Kong, they would honour their Limited International Warranty if the appropriate Panny Warranty Forms came with the camera.

But the Hong Kong Dealer I asked about this said that I would only get his warranty, not the Panny warranty forms.

So yes, grey imports still have their problems.

I risked it with my FZ8 and fortunately it never went wrong!

Mike

 Mikedigi's gear list:Mikedigi's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix F20 Zoom Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ50 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 Panasonic FZ1000 +1 more
john10001 Contributing Member • Posts: 645
Re: FZ200 in UK - PAL or NTSC, does it matter?

kkardster wrote:

PAL vs. NTSC was a big deal in the analog world and, unfortunately, in the digital world they are still somewhat different animals that could affect your reselling the FZ200. The video frame rates differ (30/60/120/240 for NTSC, 25/50/100/200 for PAL), so there's the possibility that the NTSC camera or video may not play back properly on a PAL TV.

On the plus side, the NTSC camera will not have the 30 minute video limitation that the European models have.

-- hide signature --

You learn something new every time you press the shutter

In 720p but surely still in 1080?

Nevertheless I agree with the sentiment it shouldn't really matter especially because most modern telly's can handle ntsc input and playback these days and you can always sell back to North America, though you may not get as much doing that.

-- hide signature --

Kind Regards,
John
Born in the United Kingdom of Great Britain. I reject EU citizenship.
Pentax Espio Mini / Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 / Hoping to get a Pentax K-5 dSLR at some point with a Prime Lens around 31mm!

 john10001's gear list:john10001's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads