Big Thank You to Fixation (Nikon UK service facility)

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions
lancslad Regular Member • Posts: 318
Big Thank You to Fixation (Nikon UK service facility)

A couple of days prior to leaving on a recent trip from Canada to London I noticed the dirt on my D600 sensor had got quite a bit worse (to the point that image clean-up would be difficult).

I called Nikon Canada and said I would drive the 2 hours to the Toronto facility and would wait as long as necessary if they would clean the sensor that day. Not much sympathy and insisted I leave the camera with them for a few days and they would then mail it back.

Instead, as soon as I arrived in London I went to Fixation (the Nikon UK service centre) who cleaned the sensor within an hour and also didn't charge me, which they were entitled to do as the warranty is not international. Again, thanks a lot guys.

Responses to anticipated questions:

Yes, the sensor dirt is reappearing, I'm on 2300 frame count.

Yes, I know I will have to start cleaning the sensor myself and I have purchased a Copper Hill kit but haven't got the nerve up to do it yet.

Yes, the dirt does affect my images as I often take landscapes with some foreground in focus therefore requiring small apertures.

Yes, I would buy the camera again in anticipation that the sensor debris will dissipate over time and overall the positives outweigh the negatives (if anyone has a fix for the uncomfortable grip I would be interested).

lancslad's gear list:lancslad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Nikon D610 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
Nikon D600
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
earlgreyhot Regular Member • Posts: 123
Re: Big Thank You to Fixation (Nikon UK service facility)

learn how to clean your sensor

nikon will never know either way

you need to be able to clean your own sensor

AAtkinson New Member • Posts: 24

I've used them and they did a great job repairing and servicing a lens.

Thanks for sharing a good experience, it doesn't happen hear much.

Andrew

-- hide signature --

My username was previously Exposure but lost my login details. Oooops!!
www.andrewatkinson.co.uk

gl2k
gl2k Veteran Member • Posts: 3,232

lancslad wrote:

A couple of days prior to leaving on a recent trip from Canada to London I noticed the dirt on my D600 sensor had got quite a bit worse (to the point that image clean-up would be difficult).

I called Nikon Canada and said I would drive the 2 hours to the Toronto facility and would wait as long as necessary if they would clean the sensor that day. Not much sympathy and insisted I leave the camera with them for a few days and they would then mail it back.

Instead, as soon as I arrived in London I went to Fixation (the Nikon UK service centre) who cleaned the sensor within an hour and also didn't charge me, which they were entitled to do as the warranty is not international. Again, thanks a lot guys.

Great real world example. It's not Nikon that sucks it's a few stubborn unskilled store managers that have no clue on how to properly treat customers.

Obviously in London there is a better trained guy running the service center.

Leo360 Senior Member • Posts: 1,140

gl2k wrote:

lancslad wrote:

Great real world example. It's not Nikon that sucks it's a few stubborn unskilled store managers that have no clue on how to properly treat customers.

Obviously in London there is a better trained guy running the service center.

I think it is the duty of the Nikon upper management to rid the organization of those stubborn unskilled store managers. Then the world will be a better place!

Leo

Leo360's gear list:Leo360's gear list
Nikon D5100 Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
1stAde Regular Member • Posts: 482
Re: They are not THE Nikon Service Centre, but a private service center

Fixation are well known amongst pros as an approved Nikon Servicing company (along with Canon etc). But they are not the Nikon Service centre, which is located a few miles away.

My experience with Nikon UK in Kingston was appalling (though a few years ago now), so do not get the false impression this is Nikon responding well, it wasn't.

Adrian

-- hide signature --

View my stuff at... http://www.amullen.plus.com/gallery/ https://picasaweb.google.com/100876508568557187188/Landscapes?

Fancy a smugmug account - save yourself some money and use my referral - see www.1stade.smugmug.com

OP lancslad Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: They are not THE Nikon Service Centre, but a private service center

Adrian - your point is well taken. I was a little confused that Nikon UK would have a "contract" service facility in the middle of London but a little research showed that Nikon has only one or two of their own service centres per country and the remainder, with the most being in the US, are contract facilities.

A very quick internet search also revealed a definite trend of lower customer satisfaction with Nikon compared to the independent facilities, including similar experiences to yours with the Kingston centre. So the message seems clear to use an independent if the choice is available.

I also noticed that at the moment Nikon has not authorised any of the independents for D600 "repairs" which presumably excludes sensor cleaning which would be classified as maintenance.

lancslad's gear list:lancslad's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS50 Nikon D610 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +2 more
heptagon Regular Member • Posts: 191

I can vouch for Fixation UK. Their turnaround time is significantly shorter than Nikon UK. Their staff are nicer and more knowledgeable.

heptagon's gear list:heptagon's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED
Geoffrey Rippingale Regular Member • Posts: 225

Another vote for Fixation in London, whom I've always found to be most helpful.

Geoffrey Rippingale's gear list:Geoffrey Rippingale's gear list
Nikon DL24-500
Leonard Shepherd
Leonard Shepherd Forum Pro • Posts: 13,339
Re: More on 'best' UK service.

As has already been mentioned, Fixation and Nikon not the same.

As far as I know Nikon UK discourage personal callers. Nikon UK claim to have the fastest Nikon turnround in Europe but, unless you qualify for NPS service, turnround is not particularly fast. NPS is for professionals and is normally three days in shop with a loan item if the deadline cannot be met

Fixation is the place to go in London if you do not qualify for NPS service and want quick turnaround.

Fixation and Calumet promise free loan equipment if you bought from them and your equipment needs a repair. Each firm has extensive hire stock and competitive new equipment pricing.

-- hide signature --

Leonard Shepherd
Many problems turn out to be a lack of intimate knowledge of complex modern camera equipment.

Leonard Shepherd's gear list:Leonard Shepherd's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D7200 Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6G IF-ED VR +20 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads