Canon EOS 6D quiet mode: better sharpness?

Started Dec 12, 2012 | Discussions
RStyga
RStyga Regular Member • Posts: 298
Canon EOS 6D quiet mode: better sharpness?

Is it correct to assume that the quiet mode (used for discrete shooting by slowing down the mirror/shutter assembly resulting also in lower fps) reduces the mirror/shutter vibration and thus increases sharpness (all other things equal)?

Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
salamander1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,427
Re: Canon EOS 6D quiet mode: better sharpness?

RStyga wrote:

Is it correct to assume that the quiet mode (used for discrete shooting by slowing down the mirror/shutter assembly resulting also in lower fps) reduces the mirror/shutter vibration and thus increases sharpness (all other things equal)?

i don't know if the silent shutter increases sharpness, maybe it does if there is  less vibration, but it's an awfully nice feature to have anyway. i love it too.

JimP Forum Member • Posts: 98

which menu is used to set silent mode?  I see modes for Live View, but not for noon-live view.

thanks,

jim

rndman Senior Member • Posts: 1,595

JimP wrote:

which menu is used to set silent mode? I see modes for Live View, but not for noon-live view.

thanks,

jim

On 5D3 it is part of the AF-Drive (where you set Single shot, Low burst and Hight burst). It is not in the menu.

May be same for 6D..

rndman's gear list:rndman's gear list
Rokinon 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Rokinon 8mm F3.5 Aspherical Fisheye
Blastophaga Regular Member • Posts: 109

On 5 D III it makes a real difference at low speed. sharpness is increased.

Finn

Sharky Forum Member • Posts: 77

It's part of the drive selections with the drive button on top - single shot, multi, single Quiet, multi Quiet (Q)

-- hide signature --

All my photos can be downloaded and used for free: http://freerangestock.com/view_photog.php?photogid=2

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 5,590

RStyga wrote:

It's a reasonable assumption but to know for sure it would need to be tested at a range of shutter speeds.  It could be that it just shifts the critical speeds at which vibration is most evident - usually somewhere within the range 1/8s to 1/60s with most SLRs.

Esseti New Member • Posts: 8

I think you will get more sharpness by wiping your lens down, or in lower ambient temperatures, that from mirror shake. Especially when you are holding your camera.

I also want the top most sharpness, but this is ridiculous 

Esseti's gear list:Esseti's gear list
Canon EOS 7D
RStyga
OP RStyga Regular Member • Posts: 298

Esseti wrote:

I think you will get more sharpness by wiping your lens down, or in lower ambient temperatures, that from mirror shake. Especially when you are holding your camera.

I also want the top most sharpness, but this is ridiculous

"wiping down your lens"??

It's been an issue with other DSLRs, mirror-slap vibration that is. It's no small thing, especially at borderline shake-free speeds (i.e., 1/FL  +/- 2 stops).

salamander1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,427

JimP wrote:

which menu is used to set silent mode? I see modes for Live View, but not for noon-live view.

thanks,

jim

hi jim!

what i do is, i turn the live view on. then i go to the af-drive button located  in front of the small lcd panel on the top of the camera.  i press it and the af-drive menu  magically appears on the big live view screen. then i choose "silent single shooting" from the many options there.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads