How Long to Let Calibration Prints Dry Using Colormunki

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Discussions
bobh121 Regular Member • Posts: 317
How Long to Let Calibration Prints Dry Using Colormunki

When I print the first calibration print to read with the Colormunki I let it dry over night and just start the Colormunki software the next day and check the box that I have already made a print. I then read the print from the day before and print the second one. My question is how long do you leave the second print dry? Do you just wait the ten minutes or do you wait longer? If you wait longer what is the rest of your process?

Thanks,

Bob

technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,111
Re: How Long to Let Calibration Prints Dry Using Colormunki

While it's always a good idea to wait overnight it isn't necessary for many ink/paper combos.

Beyond makeing sure a target page is dry enough that it doesn't smudge, the best way to tell is to compare LAB values at different times after printing. Once they stop changing beyond the normal variance due to the instrument itself, you are good to go.

I've found some paper is stable only 10 mins. after printing while others need to sit overnight. It depends on both the paper and printer/ink so you really should initially test each combo if you don't want to wait.

ronzie Senior Member • Posts: 1,288

I choose to let the second print dry overnight as well. I requested from X-Rite that they include that in future versions. In letting the both prints dry be sure you place them in a dark area as light can effect them for perhaps the first half hour after they are printed.

It can be done with this procedure for the second print without letting the CMP software running for the second drying time:

After the second print is complete just use the steps to quit out of it. Don't use the back button. After your print has dried start the CMP application with the resume option choice used as if you are going to print the second sample. When the print driver comes up cancel out of it and hit next. If you have a problem that way just leave the printer off line and kill the document in the print queue. Clicking next once or twice should advance you to the step where the second print is read.

I am using the Win version 1.1.1. Update to that from the product page if not current as it removes the restriction on "multiple seats" number of installs. That version appears to be the last issued.

Remember to use the same profile preferences and name on the second run.

I also suggest you experiment with the optimization feature. You can use if you wish test images from here:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/downloadable_1/DL_page.html sized to 8x10 without any modification in the editor except to insure the chosen color space is used. I also from the BW test images made a large gray scale extracted from one of those to see if I could get rid of a slightly green cast in the lower gray levels. It worked but then I got a bit a black compression. I took care of that in my editor with soft proofing using the curves function or other luminance adjustments.

I also suggest as in the manual when reading the prints with the device place a white sheet of paper or coated white cardboard under the print samples to prevent your surface color from showing through the print media. I tape that second sheet to my desk surface so it will not move under the test print.

-- hide signature --

Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

rpenmanparker Contributing Member • Posts: 648

Whatever time you select, I think it is imperative to treat both prints the same.

OP bobh121 Regular Member • Posts: 317

ronzie wrote:

I choose to let the second print dry overnight as well. I requested from X-Rite that they include that in future versions. In letting the both prints dry be sure you place them in a dark area as light can effect them for perhaps the first half hour after they are printed.

It can be done with this procedure for the second print without letting the CMP software running for the second drying time:

After the second print is complete just use the steps to quit out of it. Don't use the back button. After your print has dried start the CMP application with the resume option choice used as if you are going to print the second sample. When the print driver comes up cancel out of it and hit next. If you have a problem that way just leave the printer off line and kill the document in the print queue. Clicking next once or twice should advance you to the step where the second print is read.

I am using the Win version 1.1.1. Update to that from the product page if not current as it removes the restriction on "multiple seats" number of installs. That version appears to be the last issued.

Remember to use the same profile preferences and name on the second run.

I also suggest you experiment with the optimization feature. You can use if you wish test images from here:

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/downloadable_1/DL_page.html sized to 8x10 without any modification in the editor except to insure the chosen color space is used. I also from the BW test images made a large gray scale extracted from one of those to see if I could get rid of a slightly green cast in the lower gray levels. It worked but then I got a bit a black compression. I took care of that in my editor with soft proofing using the curves function or other luminance adjustments.

I also suggest as in the manual when reading the prints with the device place a white sheet of paper or coated white cardboard under the print samples to prevent your surface color from showing through the print media. I tape that second sheet to my desk surface so it will not move under the test print.

-- hide signature --

Ron Ginsberg
Minneapolis, MN
Land of 10,000 Puddles

Ron thats what I was trying to figure out, a way to make the second print and read it the next day.

Thanks,

Bob

irvweiner Contributing Member • Posts: 705

Some additional suggestions:

If you have several different papers to be profiled, print the #1 test charts for all first. Let them all dry overnite or less, select one, scan it and continue to print its 2nd stage chart. Repeat for the others

It is unfortunate that X-rite does not permit us to sequence the other #1 test prints done in this  batch mode. Being able to store the data file for each #1 print & scan would allow us to create a set of 2nd stage charts without exiting the program. After a reasonable drying period these charts can be scanned and the final profiles be  created.

Thus on Day 1, we print & scan a group of various papers, a separate data file being created for each paper. On Day 2 or earlier we retrieve each data file and print out the 2nd stage charts, on Day 3 or earlier we retrieve and scan each 2nd stage chart and create the actual profile. This is a proper protocol for creating profiles!

It is also important to note that temp & humidity will affect the drying times necessary, these 2 factors will also affect your print quality during the changing seasons. Talk about Winterizing your printer and its profiles!

For those using the 3800/80 a maintenance tank tip. a resetter is available  from Jon Cone (& others) but pricy ~$80. No comment about ROI, just convenience. I do not care to go thru the messy removal of the ink loaded foam and its tedious replacement--to avoid this situation I have inserted a plastic bottle cap into the D-shaped open space to capture the waste ink. The bottle cap is the typical size of many condiment/food containers, within a month you can rescue a handful from the kitchen and possibly even more from wine bottles with screw-on caps!!  Every 2 weeks I pop the maint cart and pop the inky cap if I have spares--if not I rinse it clean and replace. No way do I want to be prevented from finishing a 'hot' job because of a full maint tank and no spare.

irv weiner

PS: It would be quite helpful to our print community if we follow-up on tracking the color changes during the drying time. We'all use different papers and inks, now using our Munkies & Spyders a data base can be built up quickly-- permitting us to get a better handle on this broad product array. I am willing to consolidate the results and graphs. Ten minutes may be to soon for certain papers and 24 hrs much to long for others--this effort will yield the appropriate time required.

GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928

The CM Photo has some 10 minute timer in the software version 1.1.1 prior to the next test print.  What I do is grab the test print and use a hair dryer on it for a few minutes and then read it once the 10 minute timer is up.  If critical, I'll do the third test stepped-print off the image I intend to print to make the final calibration profile.

I'm pretty sensitive to the smell of the ink and lack of it once dried, and notice the print's black edges have a bluish cast prior to really drying well.  The hair dryer seems to speed the process up without any noticeable change.

I get too impatient to wait overnight.

Mack

OP bobh121 Regular Member • Posts: 317

Irv Im a little confused. You wrote:

"Thus on Day 1, we print & scan a group of various papers, a separate data file being created for each paper. On Day 2 or earlier we retrieve each data file and print out the 2nd stage charts, on Day 3 or earlier we retrieve and scan each 2nd stage chart and create the actual profile."

If you are printing and scanning on day 1. How do you determine how long to wait before scanning. The reason I started waiting until the next day to do my scans I had a couple of papers that I scanned after the 10 minutes the color was good but the images lacked contrast. I rescanned my first   calibration prints and made the second print from those scans and all was good.

irvweiner Contributing Member • Posts: 705

Bob, sorry for the confusion, I was trying to parlay Technoid's suggestion of tracking color changes during drying period using our Munkie's. Different paper-ink combos will exhibit different required drying times. And if several members can record this data when profiling, we can create an info bank. Now your question gets answered---it's from this data bank that we can comfortably learn "How long".

I think 10 min is too short and 24 hrs too long. In addition I am not comfortable using hot air to accelerate the drying process, the increased temperature can alter the dye and pigment color. I would recommend using ambient temp (think 'fan') air flowing across the print--an effective mass transfer exchange process with little or no color altering potential.

Bob, summing up: if we can learn how long we will will know how short!

irv weiner

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads