your bet on when new d800 firmware drops and contents?

Started Dec 10, 2012 | Questions
earlgreyhot Regular Member • Posts: 123
your bet on when new d800 firmware drops and contents?

when will it come out?

what will it officially have in it?

what will it stealth fix?

we know the d4 firmware was just updated

and we also know there are a whole list of things that could be improved for the d800 via firmware

for me, i think it will come out in mid January

live view noninterpolation

steath AF fix

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Nikon D4 Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery
Alejandro Daz del Ro Fery Veteran Member • Posts: 3,735
Re: your bet on when new d800 firmware drops and contents?

earlgreyhot wrote:

when will it come out?

and we also know there are a whole list of things that could be improved for the d800 via firmware

steath AF fix

This evening

When you're making a video, you can do some pictures without stop the video (as Nikon1).

The rest, seriously, "mine" does not need FW at all.

OP earlgreyhot Regular Member • Posts: 123

oh c'mon. nothing needs to be fixed?  AF-C studders?   what about things that arent "fixes" but are more likeenhancements like D4 style movie record button reassignment?

Peter Jonas Veteran Member • Posts: 3,376

earlgreyhot wrote:

oh c'mon. nothing needs to be fixed? AF-C studders? what about things that arent "fixes" but are more likeenhancements like D4 style movie record button reassignment?

Historically Nikon has a record of not providing enhancements to DSLR cameras via firmware update.

My bet is that if a firmware udate does come out fro the D800, it will only provide bug fixes to functions that have been found not to work as intended.

I would never buy a camrea on the premise that an additional function may become available via firmware updates at a future time. I just doesn't happen to Nikon, and very rarely to other manufacturers.

That kind of expectation would be naive and unrealistic.

Peter Jonas's gear list:Peter Jonas's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +1 more
michaeladawson Forum Pro • Posts: 11,931

earlgreyhot wrote:

oh c'mon. nothing needs to be fixed? AF-C studders? what about things that arent "fixes" but are more likeenhancements like D4 style movie record button reassignment?

Nothing that didn't also need to be fixed on the D4.  And what did the D4 firmware update contain?  There's your answer.

michaeladawson's gear list:michaeladawson's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 Nikon D200 Nikon D4 Nikon D800 Nikon D800E +23 more
olyflyer
olyflyer Forum Pro • Posts: 24,297

earlgreyhot wrote:

when will it come out?

Ask Nikon.

Ask Nikon.

Good question.

Yes, we definitely know that.

Do we, really?

Any day or never.

What is that?

steath AF fix

What is that?

Your bet is as good as mine. Only Nikon knows the answers.

olyflyer

Peter Jonas wrote:

earlgreyhot wrote:

Historically Nikon has a record of not providing enhancements to DSLR cameras via firmware update.

My bet is that if a firmware udate does come out fro the D800, it will only provide bug fixes to functions that have been found not to work as intended.

I would never buy a camrea on the premise that an additional function may become available via firmware updates at a future time. I just doesn't happen to Nikon, and very rarely to other manufacturers.

That kind of expectation would be naive and unrealistic.

Exactly.

xjassa Senior Member • Posts: 1,197
I just want photos taken in Live View to write to the BUFFER and NOT the CF card.

One feature I loved about my d3 that I thought I wouldn't use much was live view.  Especially for landscapes and large family pictures on a tripod.  Pop the thing in Live view, zoom in, and ensure tack sharp focus.  Then fire away.

It was awesome.

Figured my D800 would be even better with 36MP, it was not.

What's up with the "fire a Shot and wait 3-6 seconds before Live View comes back".  For me, Live View is essentially worthless for still shooting on the D800.  Obviously it works well with video.

Everything else on my D800 works superior to my D3.  Focus is brilliant, the sensor is fantastic, haven't noticed any AF-C hiccups.

But live view for stills?  FAIL by Nikon.

I dunno, maybe I have some setting wrong, but I can see NO reason why anyone would purposely want their Live View set up the way mine is!

Re: I just want photos taken in Live View to write to the BUFFER and NOT the CF card.

buy an extreme pro CF card, and don't use and SD card.

f56andbethere Regular Member • Posts: 242

I know there's a 100% chance they will not fix an actual issue that affects me daily until they release a new camera... BUT...

They need to fix the live view BS. For an almost perfect studio/landscape camera, they just HAD to handicap the live view so that it functions like crap and I have to switch to and from P mode just to see what on earth is going on. It would take 4 lines of code, Nikon. FIX IT.

(But you won't.)

Sigh.

D900.

Pradipta Dutta
Pradipta Dutta Veteran Member • Posts: 9,782
Not true at all

Peter Jonas wrote:

That is not at all true. Actually, it is exactly opposite. Nikon has consistently upgraded features and functions on their DSLR's since the D70 days. A couple of specific examples are -

• D70 FW 2.0: Highlight - Menu Design changes to provide new features launched in D70s
  • D3 FW 2.0: Highlights - Ability to display virtual horizon in Live View mode; Ability to use button+dial option to set custom function for the FUNC button, preview button, etc.

Just to be clear, I am not at all speculating when the firmware update for D800 will come and what will be provided. That is not a very meaningful exercise. All I am doing is highlighting that Nikon does have the history to provide enhancements via firmware updates. What you are referring to is more true for Canon.

Pradipta Dutta's gear list:Pradipta Dutta's gear list
Nikon D2X Nikon D3 Nikon D800 Nikon D3200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 17-55mm f/2.8G ED-IF +5 more
ayt Contributing Member • Posts: 698
Re: I just want photos taken in Live View to write to the BUFFER and NOT the CF card.

earlgreyhot wrote:

first you start a thread asking for any guesses on what a new firmware update may bring.  however, when a perfectly sound response does appear, you disregard it.

the issue of liveview writing directly to the memory card, bypassing the buffer, is a known issue and is a perfect example of something that should be fixed via a new firmware.  there is no need for the camera to be ignoring the buffer (which allows you to shoot ~16 raw files via the OVF without pause) and rely purely on a fast memory card for decent performance.

this is also my most wanted firmware update.  things get better once you switch to a 95MBps SanDisk but no card will be as fast as the internal buffer, and the delay is definitely noticeable.

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 +38 more

no one is disregarding anythin.  chill the bleep out.  if its taking 6 seconds to write a file, you have a slow card. we are all aware of the zero LV buffer limitation.

olyflyer

xjassa wrote:

One feature I loved about my d3 that I thought I wouldn't use much was live view. Especially for landscapes and large family pictures on a tripod. Pop the thing in Live view, zoom in, and ensure tack sharp focus. Then fire away.

It was awesome.

Figured my D800 would be even better with 36MP, it was not.

What's up with the "fire a Shot and wait 3-6 seconds before Live View comes back". For me, Live View is essentially worthless for still shooting on the D800. Obviously it works well with video.

Everything else on my D800 works superior to my D3. Focus is brilliant, the sensor is fantastic, haven't noticed any AF-C hiccups.

But live view for stills? FAIL by Nikon.

I dunno, maybe I have some setting wrong, but I can see NO reason why anyone would purposely want their Live View set up the way mine is!

There is a bug in live view. The camera is not using the buffer properly so it does not return to the live view before the image is dumped to the memory card. Switching off preview does not help, the best solution is a fast card. With my card I can take one image every 3 seconds in lossless raw + JPEG L Fine. In JPEG S Basic you can take one image per second. While this is really a bug (confirmed by Nikon Sweden), for a landscape image it should not make a difference, but for portrait shooting it is serious.

olyflyer

earlgreyhot wrote:

no one is disregarding anythin. chill the bleep out. if its taking 6 seconds to write a file, you have a slow card. we are all aware of the zero LV buffer limitation.

Are we? Please tell us who is "we".

"We" here in Sweden are all aware of a 3 seconds delay in live view between images in raw and even you should experience the same. That is... assuming you are not doing the same mistake Nikon Sweden did when I reported this bug originally. To confirm my bug report they put the camera in Live View and CH, tested and reported back that there is no problem, the D800 fires off at 4fps. Just that they forgot one tiny issue... which is that in Live View, CH mode is pointless because there is no view finder image between the shots, unlike in shots taken with the OVF. The way you normally use live view is single shot mode. Try that and you will see that there is about a 3 second delay between shots, even if you switch off the preview, because after each shot the camera will write to the memory card, instead of writing to the buffer and returning to the live view while emptying the buffer to the memory. This is the way it supposed to work, but it does not. So please, tell us who is "we"... I and Nikon Sweden (also Japan now) are definitely not part of your "we" definition.

...and BTW, I am using a fast card, SanDisk Extreme Pro 95MB/s SDHC I type. Yes I agree, 6 seconds is a bit too much, so he probably is using something slower than I do.

olyflyer
+1

ayt wrote:

earlgreyhot wrote:

first you start a thread asking for any guesses on what a new firmware update may bring. however, when a perfectly sound response does appear, you disregard it.

the issue of liveview writing directly to the memory card, bypassing the buffer, is a known issue and is a perfect example of something that should be fixed via a new firmware. there is no need for the camera to be ignoring the buffer (which allows you to shoot ~16 raw files via the OVF without pause) and rely purely on a fast memory card for decent performance.

this is also my most wanted firmware update. things get better once you switch to a 95MBps SanDisk but no card will be as fast as the internal buffer, and the delay is definitely noticeable.

I agree.

olyflyer
Nonsense

earlgreyhot wrote:

There is a bug in the D800, it is known and confirmed. The camera is not using the buffer as it supposed to and as it does when live view is not used.

djsphynx Contributing Member • Posts: 542

Peter Jonas wrote:

earlgreyhot wrote:

I thought they did provide enhancements for the D70, the D2h and the D2x no?

djsphynx Contributing Member • Posts: 542

xjassa wrote:

What's up with the "fire a Shot and wait 3-6 seconds before Live View comes back". For me, Live View is essentially worthless for still shooting on the D800. Obviously it works well with video.

But live view for stills? FAIL by Nikon.

This +10000000. WTF?

I just got back from Africa and that was the biggest annoyance (that and the inability to do a dust reference image because of how I configured the shutter button in movie mode, another unbelievably annoying hiccup)

RGT5 Regular Member • Posts: 437
Re: Nonsense

Have you listened to these threads. The LV is a disaster in the manner it operates. I suppose you believe that a work around for these functions and the AF issues should just be "forget it and move on" That would be fine if someone at Nikon would just send me $3,300. I have not used the D800E for months.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads