Give new life to your NX10 -> Upgrade it to an NX11

Started Dec 9, 2012 | Discussions
jldgomes Regular Member • Posts: 155
Give new life to your NX10 -> Upgrade it to an NX11

Howdy

Thanks to LancerDPR who pointed me to this chinese forum:

http://www.dchome.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1150756

I was able to flash NX11 firmware into my NX10.

(What I was really looking for was the focus bar assist in MF mode, the ISO adjust in 1/3 was a plus)

DISCLAIMER: DO IT AT YOUR OWN RISK AND ONLY IF YOU ARE READY TO BRICK YOUR CAMERA!

In the chinese forum, they say that the heat of the machine increases and that there is probably some overclocking at work.

Steps:
- Download latest NX11 firmware (1.11).
- Extract the nx11.bin file, rename it to nx10.bin and copy it to the root of the SD card.
- Enter the engeneering menu of the NX10. (Put the mode dial in smart mode -> Left -> OK -> Right -> Av (do not release) -> OK)
- Choose 1. FW UPDATE -> OK
- Choose (1) BODY FW UPDATE
- Choose OK
- At this step, the green light should start flashing and a blue bar should appear on screen.
- If the green light starts flashing but the blue bar does not appear, do not worry, wait for the light to stop flashing and turn off the camera, it means the update was not done. Just do it again (that's what I did)
- After the blue bar reaches 3/4 of the screen, the screen should go black, just half press the shutter and you should already be in the NX11 firmware.

Samsung NX10 Samsung NX11
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Mescalamba Contributing Member • Posts: 858
Re: Give new life to your NX10 -> Upgrade it to an NX11

Given NX10 is pretty much identical, it shouldnt do any harm. I doubt those CPUs runned on their maximum in NX10. Thanks for "how to".

Coldamus Senior Member • Posts: 2,281

Thanks for the information and the link to the Chinese forum.   Another benefit of NX11 firmware compared to NX10 is the "framing mode" option.  I have been wanting to upgrade just for that and the focus assist bar.

smarter Contributing Member • Posts: 549

Has anyone over here tried this already?

smarter's gear list:smarter's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm XQ2 Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus E-M1 +11 more
OP jldgomes Regular Member • Posts: 155

smarter wrote:

Has anyone over here tried this already?

I did, it's a picture of my NX10 up there while being updated. I haven't tried every options yet but the first thing I tried was the MF assist bar, however, I haven't managed yet to understand how that works.

Re: mf assist

jldgomes wrote:

I haven't tried every options yet but the first thing I tried was the MF assist bar, however, I haven't managed yet to understand how that works.

The green bar indicates the level of contrast and the red portion indicates the peak value achieved.  i.e.  as you move towards correct focus, the green bar rises.  When you see a red tip on the bar, you've gone too far and need to go back a bit.  It is a little more complicated than that because the camera re-samples periodically but that's the gist of it.  See discussion here: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/40880490

Yee-haa!  My nx10 is also now an nx11.   No down-side noticed so far.

I almost had a heart attack when the first attempt didn't work but just turned off the camera and tried again.  I think the reason it didn't work the first time is that an extra OK press was required

After the "DSP UPDATE" screen appeared, I had to press OK again to start the update process.  Be warned the update takes a few minutes, so your battery should be fully charged before you start.  You'll also have to re-enter your favourite settings afterwards as the update sets them back to the defaults.

j_pyykonen Junior Member • Posts: 43

Thanks for this, works fine. Makes NX10 better camera as auto ISO is now adjustable and goes up to 1600 (and the chosen ISO value is shown on the screen). Also selecting ISO with 1/3 EV steps is nice. I don't really understand yet the usage of the focus bar. Screen enlargement (or focus peaking) seems somewhat easier. Only if it had added Direct Manual Focus, then my NX10 would have been "perfect"

j_pyykonen's gear list:j_pyykonen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +10 more
Re: One more thing to be aware of.

Once you change from NX10 to NX11 firmware, the key sequence to get into the hidden service menu also changes.  So to use the developer menu again, you need to use the NX11 key sequence which is:

Mode dial in smart mode -> Up -> OK -> Down -> Then hold down Av while pressing OK)

jymmeh88 Regular Member • Posts: 168

Sounds like an interesting idea for my old nx10.  I just hope it doesnt blow an internal piece up somewhere.  Otherwise, this seems like a great thing to do for those of us with an abandoned camera.

coss New Member • Posts: 9

I am tempted to try this upgrade.

I'm using the 20-50 lens and, shooting video, my NX10 is permanently hunting for focus on the CAF mode.

Could there be any improvments using this formware?

Thanks

coss's gear list:coss's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED

coss wrote:

I'm using the 20-50 lens and, shooting video, my NX10 is permanently hunting for focus on the CAF mode.

Thanks

I don't think you will gain much by upgrading, the NX10 and NX11 were simply not very good at video.

What you can do is use the dof preview button if you don't want the hunting.

Let the camera focus, press the button and it wil lock fucus and won't hunt anymore, if you need to refocus, press the button again, let it focus and so on and so on...

timedrun Contributing Member • Posts: 683

the nx11 had a few good extras over the nx10, auto iso max and framing. but be prepared to lose the green button as a useful thing. all in all the nx11 fw is better, but losing the green button was a major let down.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
smarter Contributing Member • Posts: 549

Wow, I did it! Nice to have auto ISO to 1600 and the focus assist bar.

Great tip! Thanks!

smarter's gear list:smarter's gear list
Sony RX100 III Fujifilm XQ2 Ricoh GR II Fujifilm X-E1 Olympus E-M1 +11 more
jymmeh88 Regular Member • Posts: 168

It would also be great if you guys can tell us if any issues come up after upgrading.  Or an extended usage reports.

j_pyykonen Junior Member • Posts: 43

timedrun wrote:

the nx11 had a few good extras over the nx10, auto iso max and framing. but be prepared to lose the green button as a useful thing. all in all the nx11 fw is better, but losing the green button was a major let down.

To be honest I have no idea what green button does with original NX10 firmware (never tried) but with NX11 firmware it kind of resets the exposure (ie. in A-mode when you roll the aperture all the way to F22 and press green button, it goes instantly back to F2). So it works but as I said earlier I have no idea does it work as it should be

j_pyykonen's gear list:j_pyykonen's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Fujifilm X-T2 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 150mm F2.8 EX DG OS Macro HSM +10 more

j_pyykonen wrote:

timedrun wrote:

To be honest I have no idea what green button does with original NX10 firmware (never tried) but with NX11 firmware it kind of resets the exposure (ie. in A-mode when you roll the aperture all the way to F22 and press green button, it goes instantly back to F2). So it works but as I said earlier I have no idea does it work as it should be

If you are in P mode, it also resets the shutter speed and the apperture.

In that regard, I do not see any diference between the two firmware versions.

AMomcil Senior Member • Posts: 1,018
THANK YOU

Thank you, LancerDPR and a especial Chinese bloke who found it first.

It all went smooth and worked like a charm. Btw, my NX-10 is HW ver PR2 (yours is PR3, by the image).

I did it only because of the Framing Mode. Now I can finally use my nice little Cullman autoflash and even see what I am framing :). Other stuff was not interesting to me - I like to adjust ISO in full steps and new MF assist bar didn't look too helpful either.

Thanks again!

P.S. And boooooo to Samsung who left NX-10 as the only camera in the line without the Framing Mode and it was one working day for their FW engineers at most.

jldgomes wrote:

Thanks to LancerDPR who pointed me to this chinese forum:

http://www.dchome.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1150756

I was able to flash NX11 firmware into my NX10.--

Aleksandar Momcilovic

AMomcil's gear list:AMomcil's gear list
Sony RX100
timedrun Contributing Member • Posts: 683

j_pyykonen wrote:

timedrun wrote:

the green button always used to zero the current setting. there is no right or wrong i suppose, but i always got used to setting the aperture to say f8, then exposure compensating to my hearts content, then zero exp comp with the green button whilst holding exp comp button. the exposure compensation would zero and the aperture remained at f8. if i wanted to reset the aperture to its fastest i pressed the green button  on its own, aperture went to widest.

with the nx11 the green button resets both aperture to fastest and zeros exp comp regardless of what other buttons im holding. so my attempt to quickly zero exp comp in aperture priority mode with aperture set to f8 by holding exp comp button and then pressing green also fully opens my aperture, which i didnt want it to do. ergo makes green button a bit rubbish on nx11 fw compared to nx10.

personally, owning an nx11 and an nx10, i will leave my nx10 as is, for use as a manual camera. the nx11 is more an "automatic" version.

-- hide signature --

A little green rosetta......a tiny green rosetta........

timedrun's gear list:timedrun's gear list
Samsung NX20 Samsung NX 30mm F2 Pancake Samsung NX 50-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Samsung NX 16mm F2.4 Pancake Samsung NX 45mm F1.8
coss New Member • Posts: 9

Thanks for the tip, i didn't know it could be used like that. Will practice in the weekend

Obrigado

jldgomes wrote:

coss wrote:

Thanks

I don't think you will gain much by upgrading, the NX10 and NX11 were simply not very good at video.

What you can do is use the dof preview button if you don't want the hunting.

Let the camera focus, press the button and it wil lock fucus and won't hunt anymore, if you need to refocus, press the button again, let it focus and so on and so on...

coss's gear list:coss's gear list
Samsung NX10 Samsung NX 20-50mm F3.5-5.6 ED
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads