Canon 6D and third party batteries

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Discussions
Enriquemeza
Enriquemeza New Member • Posts: 2
Canon 6D and third party batteries

I have a 5D3 and just picked up a 6D for backup but noticed I get an error message with third party batteries. I've used pearstone batteries from B&H with the 5D3 but now I'm getting an error with the 6D it still allows me to override and continue but it doesn't show battery usage. Anyone else have better luck with another brand wasabi power maybe?

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
vladm
vladm Forum Member • Posts: 51
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

make sure battery contacts are clean

-- hide signature --

Vlad

ulmer Regular Member • Posts: 285
Same here with Wasabi - error and no battery meter

I have two Wasabi batteries that work fine in the 5D III but give me the same error and no battery meter reading on the 6D.

You've won this round Canon. I've ordered another legit Canon battery.

Hopefully other manufactures will hack in support in the future.

 ulmer's gear list:ulmer's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Nikon D850 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro +10 more
zkool5 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries
1

Same here as well.  Using Powermart one made in Australia.  Battery worked for 7D & 5D2.  Pi$ses me off.

RedFox88 Forum Pro • Posts: 28,165
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries
1

zkool5 wrote:

Same here as well. Using Powermart one made in Australia. Battery worked for 7D & 5D2. Pi$ses me off.

Hmm, you have cameras that cost $2000+ each and probably $1000s in lenses but skimp on 3rd party knock off batteries instead of a $60 or so for a Canon battery?

zkool5 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

RedFox88 wrote:

zkool5 wrote:

Same here as well. Using Powermart one made in Australia. Battery worked for 7D & 5D2. Pi$ses me off.

Hmm, you have cameras that cost $2000+ each and probably $1000s in lenses but skimp on 3rd party knock off batteries instead of a $60 or so for a Canon battery?

1st off, $60 is pretty expensive for a battery.

2ndly, I've been using the said bodies before with the Powermart ones without any issues, and worked great.

steve88 Contributing Member • Posts: 905
I Agree...
4

I agree. Please don't take this personally (anyone who uses a third party battery). I know that in some countries the Canon batteries can sometimes be quite expensive (over $100 or more)...in that case I could see looking for a third party battery. However, if you can get a Canon battery for the regular price of $60 I just don't understand why people don't buy them and instead look for batteries in the $20-$30 range.

Why would you spend over $3,000 on a 5D3 and then try to save $30 on the battery? That's kind of like buying a $60K luxury car and then taking it to Jiffy Lube to save money on the oil changes or putting cheap $55 tires on it because the ones for $220 are too expensive.

Again, this isn't a personal attack. If third party batteries are your thing, then go for it. But the battery is a rather critical part of your kit so I'm just not sure it makes sense to skimp on them.

Now donning my flame-retardant suit

 steve88's gear list:steve88's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EF 28mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM
dpollitt Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries
2

I also have the same problem with my 6D. I bought the STK's Canon LP-E6 Battery off of Amazon($14.99USD). I've always bought both OEM and 3rd party batteries in the past to compare and see what is a better value.

To all of those that for some reason think it is important here to argue if 3rd party batteries make sense or not, how does it make sense to buy a $60 item if a $15 functions and performs identically or nearly identically? I can purchase FOUR $15 items for the price of one $60(*simple math/common sense for some people). If the battery performance is even 50% of the OEM(which it is much much higher typically), then I am by far getting more value out of the 3rd party battery. If battery changes and maximum battery output is of utmost importance because you are on an expedition in Antarctica, then go for it, spend the extra $45 per unit. But for the majority of people, switching out a battery isn't going to make a whole lot of difference 20 shots earlier or 20 shots later.

The thought "you spend $X,XXX on other equipment, why shouldn't you spend it on this" doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm sure Canon loves to hear that. I don't throw out money on unnecessary accessories just because I like to see the Canon label or packaging. Performance, utility, and price matter to me - of which I have always found in 3rd party offerings.

At any rate, this is my first Canon DSLR that has not been compatible with 3rd party batteries. Somewhat disappointing at the moment. The batteries do work, but they don't report any status as far as capacity remaining. I'd bet that down the road the 3rd party mfg's figure out how to add the needed chip or equipment to report this info correctly, but we will see. It could be proprietary, I haven't looked that far into it.

-- hide signature --
Enriquemeza
OP Enriquemeza New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

Thanks for the response guys. I was a little upset that they dont show battery time remaning. Ohh well I will just have to suck it up. I think I am going to try and time my usage I film mainly weddings and this is super important for me. I guess I will just have to pony up some extra $

TJMN New Member • Posts: 10
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

Adorama has been bundling the 6D with the Flashpoint batteries...(http://www.adorama.com/ICA6DB.html)

It would be a shame if those don't work, and perhaps an awkward return for Adorama... (Or maybe a free Canon battery!)

ASR45
ASR45 Forum Pro • Posts: 36,726
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

I found page 334 of the extended manual you can see how much power and shots are left and status of whole battery life, before exchange. You can also register new canon batteries cannot say about third party ones, i was lucky i got a free canon battery & case and 64GB card thrown in with mine.

-- hide signature --

Alan.

 ASR45's gear list:ASR45's gear list
Canon EF 100-400mm F4.5-5.6L IS II Nikon D750 Pentax KP Canon 6D Mark II Nikon AF Nikkor 80-400mm f/4.5-5.6D ED VR +10 more
zkool5 New Member • Posts: 6
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

dpollitt wrote:

I also have the same problem with my 6D. I bought the STK's Canon LP-E6 Battery off of Amazon($14.99USD). I've always bought both OEM and 3rd party batteries in the past to compare and see what is a better value.

To all of those that for some reason think it is important here to argue if 3rd party batteries make sense or not, how does it make sense to buy a $60 item if a $15 functions and performs identically or nearly identically? I can purchase FOUR $15 items for the price of one $60(*simple math/common sense for some people). If the battery performance is even 50% of the OEM(which it is much much higher typically), then I am by far getting more value out of the 3rd party battery. If battery changes and maximum battery output is of utmost importance because you are on an expedition in Antarctica, then go for it, spend the extra $45 per unit. But for the majority of people, switching out a battery isn't going to make a whole lot of difference 20 shots earlier or 20 shots later.

The thought "you spend $X,XXX on other equipment, why shouldn't you spend it on this" doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm sure Canon loves to hear that. I don't throw out money on unnecessary accessories just because I like to see the Canon label or packaging. Performance, utility, and price matter to me - of which I have always found in 3rd party offerings.

At any rate, this is my first Canon DSLR that has not been compatible with 3rd party batteries. Somewhat disappointing at the moment. The batteries do work, but they don't report any status as far as capacity remaining. I'd bet that down the road the 3rd party mfg's figure out how to add the needed chip or equipment to report this info correctly, but we will see. It could be proprietary, I haven't looked that far into it.

-- hide signature --

Finally, someone with some sense!  I see this as a Canon ploy as well to pressure ppl to steer towards their own overpriced accessories, some of which make absolutely no difference to 3rd party stuff.

SLLDPR Forum Member • Posts: 63
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

I bought a Wasabi battery from Amazon for my 6D. The battery seems to work properly in my 6D, but when I turn on the 6D, I see a message that the 6D cannot "communicate" with that battery. When I put the Wasabi battery in the Canon charger, the LED flashed the color amber quickly after a few hours, but he LED never displayed green tp show that the battery was fully charged. Apparently Wasabi is aware of the issue and will offer a fully compatible battery in early 2013. In the meanwhile, I am going return the Wasabi battery and buy a genuine Canon battery.

Minasgr Junior Member • Posts: 46
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

Is this a phenomenon which appears only with third party batteries or for original canon LP-E6 as well? I had two original LP-E6 using them with my 5D Mark II, one of them sold with the camera. Is it a possibility to have problems with the second one which I keeped?

 Minasgr's gear list:Minasgr's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III
Ben_Egbert Forum Pro • Posts: 20,228
Re: I Agree...

steve88 wrote:

I agree. Please don't take this personally (anyone who uses a third party battery). I know that in some countries the Canon batteries can sometimes be quite expensive (over $100 or more)...in that case I could see looking for a third party battery. However, if you can get a Canon battery for the regular price of $60 I just don't understand why people don't buy them and instead look for batteries in the $20-$30 range.

Why would you spend over $3,000 on a 5D3 and then try to save $30 on the battery? That's kind of like buying a $60K luxury car and then taking it to Jiffy Lube to save money on the oil changes or putting cheap $55 tires on it because the ones for $220 are too expensive.

Again, this isn't a personal attack. If third party batteries are your thing, then go for it. But the battery is a rather critical part of your kit so I'm just not sure it makes sense to skimp on them.

Now donning my flame-retardant suit

Well for my 50D, the Canon batteries kept going bad and the 3rd party batteries lasted longer.

-- hide signature --

What I see when I open the image and view it at 100% is very important to my overall attitude toward a final print. When I look at the print I know what’s there and what I had to do to get there. For me, good enough does not work.
http://ben-egbert.smugmug.com/
Ben

 Ben_Egbert's gear list:Ben_Egbert's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Samyang 14mm F2.8 IF ED MC Aspherical +1 more
qianp2k Forum Pro • Posts: 10,350
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

Get Canon OEM battery.  You can find a copy below $50 these days.  Sure third party battery is half price or cheaper but not worth it in long run.  I bought a third party battery for my 60D (the same spec as in 5D2 and 5D3).  It doesn't have a problem, initially worked quite well.  But after about 1.5 years, it runs out power much quicker than Canon OEM one.  Not worth it on my opinion.

-- hide signature --
Sunpilot Forum Member • Posts: 85
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

zkool5 wrote:

dpollitt wrote:

I also have the same problem with my 6D. I bought the STK's Canon LP-E6 Battery off of Amazon($14.99USD). I've always bought both OEM and 3rd party batteries in the past to compare and see what is a better value.

To all of those that for some reason think it is important here to argue if 3rd party batteries make sense or not, how does it make sense to buy a $60 item if a $15 functions and performs identically or nearly identically? I can purchase FOUR $15 items for the price of one $60(*simple math/common sense for some people). If the battery performance is even 50% of the OEM(which it is much much higher typically), then I am by far getting more value out of the 3rd party battery. If battery changes and maximum battery output is of utmost importance because you are on an expedition in Antarctica, then go for it, spend the extra $45 per unit. But for the majority of people, switching out a battery isn't going to make a whole lot of difference 20 shots earlier or 20 shots later.

The thought "you spend $X,XXX on other equipment, why shouldn't you spend it on this" doesn't make any sense to me, but I'm sure Canon loves to hear that. I don't throw out money on unnecessary accessories just because I like to see the Canon label or packaging. Performance, utility, and price matter to me - of which I have always found in 3rd party offerings.

At any rate, this is my first Canon DSLR that has not been compatible with 3rd party batteries. Somewhat disappointing at the moment. The batteries do work, but they don't report any status as far as capacity remaining. I'd bet that down the road the 3rd party mfg's figure out how to add the needed chip or equipment to report this info correctly, but we will see. It could be proprietary, I haven't looked that far into it.

-- hide signature --

Finally, someone with some sense! I see this as a Canon ploy as well to pressure ppl to steer towards their own overpriced accessories, some of which make absolutely no difference to 3rd party stuff.

I agree...Camera manufacturers want you to buy their brand batteries because, like options on a car, they make huge profits. Let's face it...the only function of a battery is to store and provide electricity to it's device. The electricity doesn't care where it was stored...it is exactly the same thing coming from an X brand battery, as a Y brand battery. The only differences might be the capacity, discharge rate, and maybe some functions...like the battery usage indicator. As far as the usage indicator, I certainly cannot justify paying double for that feature...

I also feel that people with the mindset "why spend thousands on a camera, and then skimp on a battery" are part of why manufacturers get away with overpriced items...some people equate quality with price, which is not always accurate.

-- hide signature --

You're never lost, because no matter where you go...there you are

 Sunpilot's gear list:Sunpilot's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX110 IS Canon EOS 6D Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM
PixelRope New Member • Posts: 22
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

Just a shot in the dark (6D knee-slapper, apparently) - Has anyone had any luck using the 3rd party batteries with the BG-E13 on the 6D?  Does it do the same "cannot communicate" routine when you're using the grip and non-canon batteries too?

I haven't picked up the grip yet, but I'm going to in the next 2 weeks, and want to plan a bit if I have to pop an extra $100 on Canon batteries or not (you know, since the frackin' grip is $300 msrp...which is ridiculous)

James Cricket Regular Member • Posts: 134
Re: Canon 6D and third party batteries

I am using STK batteries (make sure it says for 6D) and the Meinke grip. No issues, functions same as OEM. I'm pretty glad I got a grip because I wasn't due to much better battery life than the Rebel I cam from. I wish I had GPS when the Joplin tornado came through here because figuring out maps for my pics was a pain. Went to Picher, OK the other day and used the GPS, love it. Won't use it often but when I do, it's fantastic.

JLim22 Contributing Member • Posts: 501
Re: I Agree...

These are accessories as you don't need more than one to use the camera. Do you spend extra money to purchase only Canon lenses? Do you think Sigma or Tamron lenses are completely unusable? Do yiu use only Canon filters? Only Canon bags? Only Canon memory cards? If a third party came out with a battery that had double the capacity but half the cost, would you still ignore it just because its cheaper? Just because you bought something expensive doesn't mean you have to spend more for something that functions similarly.

I've always used third party batteries in the past and it worked without a hiccup. As for the 6D, I will probably purchase Canon batteries unless they figure out the communication issue soon.

 JLim22's gear list:JLim22's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R II Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Sony FE 35mm F1.4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads