Looking for a good walk about lens for D800

Started Dec 7, 2012 | Questions
HRonen
HRonen Regular Member • Posts: 259
Re: Looking for a good walk about lens for D800

Mimik wrote:

Just get the 50mm 1.8G. Light and great. Zooms are boring.

Best place for zooms is on a tank turret. You swing, you elevate and then zoom. Forget about creativity.

HRonen's gear list:HRonen's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.4G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm f/2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 20mm f/1.8G ED
hypercore360 Contributing Member • Posts: 993

By no means is this on par with 70-200 VRII or 24-70 (Nikkor), but the 28-300 is perhaps versatile and exactly what you need. There are sacrifices to be made everywhere. There's no perfect lens, but for what you want, this is perhaps at least a consideration.

Kevin Nguyen wrote:

I just came back from WDW and drag along all my gears. OUCH it was heavy. 70-200, 24-70, etc...

Looking to invest in a nice good walk about lens. Similar to the Nikon 18-200 DX lens, but for FX. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina. Any good suggestion?

Thanks

hypercore360's gear list:hypercore360's gear list
Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G +2 more
OldDigiman Senior Member • Posts: 1,960

inasir1971 wrote:

Has anyone compared the output using one of these lenses like the AF-S 24-85 to what something like the Sony RX100 or a micro four thirds (like the Olympus E PL-5 also around $650) with standard zoom or a prime is like?

The RX100 for example costs around the same as the 24-85 - might that be a better or just as good alternative to a D600/D800 with the 24-85? Are we trying too hard to use the big DSLR just for the sake of using it?

The E PL-5 has the same sensor as the OM-D which is better than any Canon APS-C and nearly as good as Nikon DX. There are plenty of good lenses for MFT.

Comparing OM-D with Panny X 14-42 to D800E with 24-85 VR (I own all of these) at around 35mm FF equiv, the D800 outperforms the OMD in the center but at the edges of a 4:3 crop both the Oly and the Nikon are about the same.  Of course, you have 2 stops more DR and lower noise with the D800 at low ISOs.  I also own the RX100, and the OM-D edges the RX-100 center and corners, but again, the OM-D has visibly less noise at low isos.

-- hide signature --

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

inasir1971 wrote:

Has anyone compared the output using one of these lenses like the AF-S 24-85 to what something like the Sony RX100 or a micro four thirds (like the Olympus E PL-5 also around $650) with standard zoom or a prime is like?

You appear to be making the assumption that the lens isn't up to the resolution of the high MP cameras for which Nikon designed it. The 24-85VR outresolves the D800e through most of the frame, depending on FL and f stop, as always, which would make the center to mid a whole lot better than the RX100 or anything else Sony. As well,the edges are not always critical for a particular shot, being either out of focus or not important to the composition. For edge-critical work, primes are mostly the tool of choice.

The RX100 for example costs around the same as the 24-85 - might that be a better or just as good alternative to a D600/D800 with the 24-85? Are we trying too hard to use the big DSLR just for the sake of using it?

Nah. Everything is better on the big camera except portability.

I'm not sure what you are saying here.  My testing on the D800E shows that the 35mm f2 AIs outresolves the 24-85 VR in the center of the frame and smokes it in the corners with both lenses at f5.6.  So, no, the 24-85 is not up to the resolution of the D800E, because the D800E is capable of resolving more with better optics on it.   Whether or not the 24-85 is good enough for one's purposese is an entirely different question (I would say that generally it will be).

-- hide signature --

Manny82 Contributing Member • Posts: 631

Kevin Nguyen wrote:

I just came back from WDW and drag along all my gears. OUCH it was heavy. 70-200, 24-70, etc...

Looking to invest in a nice good walk about lens. Similar to the Nikon 18-200 DX lens, but for FX. Sigma, Tamron, Tokina. Any good suggestion?

Thanks

Hi Kevin,

A few recommendations i would make:

Primes

A fast prime on a budget - Nikon 50mm f/1.8

Or maybe two fast primes - Nikon 28mm f/1.8 and 50mm f/1.8. These are much better than the Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8.

Zooms

A zoom on a budget would be the Nikon 24-85mm f/3.5-f4.5 VR. This is a very good lens for the price. I know other people here have advised to get the Nikon 24-120mm f/4 instead, but trust me, other than the focal length, it isn't much of an upgrade at all. It is however A LOT more expensive. Every lens i've spoke of so far i have owned, so i'm not just making this stuff off thin air.

Leading me to my final recommendation. If you've got a bit more money to spend, in fact it's only the same price as the Nikon 24-120mm f/4, get the Tamron 24-70mm f/2.8. If you need the versatility of a zoom, performance of the Nikon 24-70mm and low-light ability of a fast prime, then this the one to get. It's decently priced, has a good focal range, and is the only zoom to have a 2.8 aperture with VR - therefore it can outperform even the 1.8 primes in this regard too when it comes to night shots.

I currently don't own the Tamron but it is next on my list having returned every other zoom i have mentioned so far.

Hope that helps.

Manny82's gear list:Manny82's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon D750 Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-H1 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +11 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,619

I'm not sure what you are saying here. My testing on the D800E shows that the 35mm f2 AIs outresolves the 24-85 VR in the center of the frame and smokes it in the corners with both lenses at f5.6. So, no, the 24-85 is not up to the resolution of the D800E, because the D800E is capable of resolving more with better optics on it. Whether or not the 24-85 is good enough for one's purposese is an entirely different question (I would say that generally it will be).

This is simply flat out wrong.  Do your research. The 24-85VR has 3899 lwph at 24mm at f8 which is higher than the Nikon 35D or the Zeiss 21 for that matter:

Photozone

Nikon has some little idea of how to build a lens, and this one has the right set of compromises for a small zoom intended for a high res sensor. If sharp corners are needed, crop or put on a prime, as I already said.

As well, the 24-85 passes the 400% pixel viewing test, wherein it it shows clearly defined stairsteps at 400%, indicating that the lens has done its job and is now out of the resolution equation.Want higher resolution, buy a 50MP camera.  Simple.

Nice try, though.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

I'm not sure what you are saying here. My testing on the D800E shows that the 35mm f2 AIs outresolves the 24-85 VR in the center of the frame and smokes it in the corners with both lenses at f5.6. So, no, the 24-85 is not up to the resolution of the D800E, because the D800E is capable of resolving more with better optics on it. Whether or not the 24-85 is good enough for one's purposese is an entirely different question (I would say that generally it will be).

This is simply flat out wrong. Do your research. The 24-85VR has 3899 lwph at 24mm at f8 which is higher than the Nikon 35D or the Zeiss 21 for that matter:

Photozone

Nikon has some little idea of how to build a lens, and this one has the right set of compromises for a small zoom intended for a high res sensor. If sharp corners are needed, crop or put on a prime, as I already said.

As well, the 24-85 passes the 400% pixel viewing test, wherein it it shows clearly defined stairsteps at 400%, indicating that the lens has done its job and is now out of the resolution equation.Want higher resolution, buy a 50MP camera. Simple.

Nice try, though.

Well, all that means is that the 35mm f2 AIs would test out even better in the center and at the edges if I was shooting charts, doesn't it?  Since the 35mm is a little dodgy at the edges for what I print, the not-as-good 24-85 (and BTW, I compared two sameple before I bought mine to make sure I didn't get a dud) is not good enough for my purposes.   I never said it was not good enough for everyone.

Anyway, bottom line for me is that I can get better resolution out for the D800 with a 30 year old prime than with the 24-85.  That said, the 35mm is a little hard to zoom

-- hide signature --

Ray Ritchie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,027
Maybe a sample image helps?

I also have both the 24-85VR and the 35 f/2, and I do find the 35 generally sharper in center frame, though I haven't done careful testing with charts. But that lens just doesn't make it for me as a general-purpose travel walkabout lens, since in these situations I'm usually shooting quickly without a lot of time to look for exactly the right spot to frame the shot. Here's an example from the 24-85VR at 34mm and f/10, ISO 800 and 1/250 sec:

and here's a crop from the center:

and one from the lower right corner:

Not too shabby, IMHO.

-- hide signature --
 Ray Ritchie's gear list:Ray Ritchie's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.4G Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Sigma 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM +1 more
Shotcents
Shotcents Veteran Member • Posts: 4,472
Oh boy....

Let's read the OP original post. He mentions a lens LIKE THE 18-200mm.

If you want a small walk-around zoom that has VR and lots of reach Nikon has no such lens. That leaves the Tamron 28-300 VC, which is fine and optically on par with Nikon's version, but SMALLER.

If you don't mind the size go for the Nikon 28-300. It's quite good.

The 24-120 F4 is BIG and as a walkaround one lens solution the versatility of the 28-300 clobbers it. Folks jabber on about optical quality, but these ALL have consumer grade optics. Good stuff, but not on par with fully blown pro lenses. (I'm a self-admitted "hater" of this lens due to price/performance ratio)

If you want a SMALL walkaround lens with VR you're only left with the 24-85 VR which I judged superior to the other lenses here, but it lacks that extra reach, active/normal VR switch and weather sealing. It's my favorite walkabout lens period and I own the good stuff too.

Honestly, you can't go wrong with any of them, but if you want things small then look at the Tamron or Nikon 24-85vr.

Cheers,

Robert

Shotcents's gear list:Shotcents's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon D800 Nikon D5200 Nikon D5300 Nikon Df +11 more
Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,619

Well, all that means is that the 35mm f2 AIs would test out even better in the center and at the edges if I was shooting charts, doesn't it?

I'm not sure of the mental gymnastics required to make the jump from worse resolution to better as shown by the Photozone charts, but congratulations on that :^)

Since the 35mm is a little dodgy at the edges for what I print, the not-as-good 24-85 (and BTW, I compared two sameple before I bought mine to make sure I didn't get a dud) is not good enough for my purposes. I never said it was not good enough for everyone.

Thanks.

Anyway, bottom line for me is that I can get better resolution out for the D800 with a 30 year old prime than with the 24-85.

Some proof of that would be nice. Here's the center to mid of the 24-85VR vs the 60G Micro.

Not sure

Which is which

If you crop the edges, the 24-85 is sharper than the 60 at the edges at infinity.  Center to mid a complete tossup at.

That said, the 35mm is a little hard to zoom

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
ijnek New Member • Posts: 11

i hv the 24-85vr , it's light n compact

i also hv the afs 50mm f1.8 G lense, and I adore it on FX format compare to DX.

it's always on my d600.

ijnek's gear list:ijnek's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-85mm F3.5-4.5G ED VR
ata3001
ata3001 Contributing Member • Posts: 705

tektrader wrote:

Mimik wrote:

Just get the 50mm 1.8G. Light and great. Zooms are boring.

This is what I use, fantastically sharp and contrasty.

x2. I just sold a Nikon 28-70/2.8 D AF & bought primes. They really are sharper. I'd go with a 50mm f1.8.

ata3001's gear list:ata3001's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7700 Nikon Coolpix A Nikon D700 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 +35 more

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Well, all that means is that the 35mm f2 AIs would test out even better in the center and at the edges if I was shooting charts, doesn't it?

I'm not sure of the mental gymnastics required to make the jump from worse resolution to better as shown by the Photozone charts, but congratulations on that :^)

Since the 35mm is a little dodgy at the edges for what I print, the not-as-good 24-85 (and BTW, I compared two sameple before I bought mine to make sure I didn't get a dud) is not good enough for my purposes. I never said it was not good enough for everyone.

Thanks.

Anyway, bottom line for me is that I can get better resolution out for the D800 with a 30 year old prime than with the 24-85.

Some proof of that would be nice. Here's the center to mid of the 24-85VR vs the 60G Micro.

Not sure

Which is which

If you crop the edges, the 24-85 is sharper than the 60 at the edges at infinity. Center to mid a complete tossup at.

That said, the 35mm is a little hard to zoom

Reilly, you can photograph test chartsbtonyour heart''s content, I choose gear based on the results it gives me on actual prints of the stuff I shoot.  i'm not sure why you  have your knickers twisted into such a knot over this.  Anyway, I'm outta here.

cheers.

-- hide signature --

OP Kevin Nguyen Senior Member • Posts: 1,657

Thanks..

I have the 50mm 1.4 previous version. Not too bad. I might look at the 24-120 VR F4. Sound promising.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads