A77 update improvments

Started Dec 6, 2012 | Discussions
monkey10120 Junior Member • Posts: 35
A77 update improvments

I have a A55 and am looking at getting an A77 before the promo is done. However, as you know the noise is not rated the best, but looking through forums I found 2 comments from different people saying the updates (could not find which one they were talking about) fixed many issues along with better hish ISO performance. Can anyone confirm iso has been improved? one of the post said they went from no noise at 1600 to no noise at 3200. If so I would be defiantly buying this camera.

Sony SLT-A55 Sony SLT-A77
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Scott Greiff
Scott Greiff Senior Member • Posts: 1,656
Re: A77 update improvments

monkey10120 wrote:

I have a A55 and am looking at getting an A77 before the promo is done. However, as you know the noise is not rated the best, but looking through forums I found 2 comments from different people saying the updates (could not find which one they were talking about) fixed many issues along with better hish ISO performance. Can anyone confirm iso has been improved? one of the post said they went from no noise at 1600 to no noise at 3200. If so I would be defiantly buying this camera.

If you're talking no noise at 3200, I think that was Sony's a99 update to the a77.  

My recent experience with the a77 is that 3200 has quite a bit of noise, but Aperture tames it pretty well.  You're not going to get detail back, but at least you're left with nice grain.

-Scott

Scott Greiff's gear list:Scott Greiff's gear list
Sony RX100 II Sigma dp2 Quattro Sigma dp0 Quattro Sigma SD15 Sony a6300
EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,485
Re: A77 update improvements

Noise is determined by the actual shot... no one can honestly say there is no noise at 1600 ISO let alone 3200.... anyone suggesting this is not being honest or has selective memory. The firmware has helped, but is not a cure all. There is no perfect camera.. and every camera has its short comings, there is no camera that is head an shoulders above its counterpart from another manufacturer. The A77 is the absolute best camera Ive owned in 50 years of shooting  ( 16 cameras ) Its also the most fun and most feature packed and ergonomically comfortable.

-- hide signature --

Bill aka EO

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more
OP monkey10120 Junior Member • Posts: 35

I wish i could get the a99 :D!

But I know there is no perfect camera and as long as firmware updates improved high iso noise even just a little I would be happy with that camera. this will be a big step up for me since I am still an amateur but am looking forward to getting this camera.

Alphamale77 Regular Member • Posts: 240

sorry to disappoint but nothing on iso was improved frd, just the general responsiveness for the wheels during operation, and improved af......wait for it.....on teh $12999 500mm lens on 1.05 and on 1.06, what sony said

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SLT-A77/downloads/FW_A77_V106_WIN

Alphamale77's gear list:Alphamale77's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more

i doubt sony will ever try to improve the iso, if it get like 1 step above, it is a step closer to perfection and a step further for me to ever buy a99 at that price.

if they could add the in body af limit would be a wonderful treat, i don't think that would require additional hardware...or so i hope.

Sony Alpha NEX-7 Sony 70-200mm F2.8 G Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more

Alphamale77 wrote:

sorry to disappoint but nothing on iso was improved frd, just the general responsiveness for the wheels during operation, and improved af......wait for it.....on teh $12999 500mm lens on 1.05 and on 1.06, what sony said

http://www.sony.co.uk/support/en/product/SLT-A77/downloads/FW_A77_V106_WIN

well that sucks. But good thing it got the update so I can go pull out a loan for that lens to match my new camera

you can say that again

tesch Regular Member • Posts: 437

I've had the A77 since it's release and none of the firmware updates have improved the ISO quailty. But I never thought the A77 performed that badly with a reasonable good photog behind the EFV.

A real kick in the head to the critics of the A77 is that I was shortlisted in Sony World Photo Org's contest last year in the low light catagory!   My shot was taken with HHT and very low light. So no matter what the critics on this board say, the A77 is capable of some stunning photos!

tesch's gear list:tesch's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A500 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a7 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +6 more

nice shot, no doubt a77 is a capable machine, and even more skills is more important than the tool. The camera just helps us to get what we want easier, low light winning shots like yours existed long before iso could be pushed beyond 400.

Just consumers like me wish sony would be a more responsible seller and reward us for loyalty with more capable update. Imagine if a99 got the 7D update to jump the fps? I might just pull the trigger, (unfortunatly seems like the hardware limit is there so it's just my wishful thinking....again..)

which lens did you use for that shot btw?

EvilOne
EvilOne Forum Pro • Posts: 14,485

monkey10120 wrote:

But I know there is no perfect camera and as long as firmware updates improved high ISO noise even just a little I would be happy with that camera. this will be a big step up for me since I am still an amateur but am looking forward to getting this camera.

I never said there was a whole lot wrong with High ISO...they have made several firmware adjustments which makes an already good camera better. Those who compare this camera to others, look at it under a microscope. and the noise from this camera under a nuclear microscope reveals more noise, which under regular view is not an issue.. there is also Muti frame noise reduction which renders this camera to be almost noise free.

Incidentally after fifty years of shooting I am still an amateur. The one thing Ive learned over the years is that I don't follow in the same footsteps as photographers who are constantly complaining about their poor shots, or the poor shots of others. I am very happy with my photography and don't need to have anyone here validate what I do behind the camera.

-- hide signature --

Bill aka EO

EvilOne's gear list:EvilOne's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Nikon Coolpix 990 Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Sony Alpha DSLR-A700 Sony SLT-A77 +5 more

EvilOne wrote:

monkey10120 wrote:

But I know there is no perfect camera and as long as firmware updates improved high ISO noise even just a little I would be happy with that camera. this will be a big step up for me since I am still an amateur but am looking forward to getting this camera.

I never said there was a whole lot wrong with High ISO...they have made several firmware adjustments which makes an already good camera better. Those who compare this camera to others, look at it under a microscope. and the noise from this camera under a nuclear microscope reveals more noise, which under regular view is not an issue.. there is also Muti frame noise reduction which renders this camera to be almost noise free.

Incidentally after fifty years of shooting I am still an amateur. The one thing Ive learned over the years is that I don't follow in the same footsteps as photographers who are constantly complaining about their poor shots, or the poor shots of others. I am very happy with my photography and don't need to have anyone here validate what I do behind the camera.

That was my problem when looking at images, I would zoom in too much and judge from there. But I realized that people have 5x7 and 8x10 images that are never seen closer than 2 feet. This was especially bad when I was looking at the a77 and just last week my mom got the D7000 and I was blowing up 100% crops pixel peeping. But after looking through forums and video reviews I see that this camera defiantly performs great.

tesch Regular Member • Posts: 437

Alphamale77 wrote:

nice shot, no doubt a77 is a capable machine, and even more skills is more important than the tool. The camera just helps us to get what we want easier, low light winning shots like yours existed long before iso could be pushed beyond 400.

Just consumers like me wish sony would be a more responsible seller and reward us for loyalty with more capable update. Imagine if a99 got the 7D update to jump the fps? I might just pull the trigger, (unfortunatly seems like the hardware limit is there so it's just my wishful thinking....again..)

which lens did you use for that shot btw?

Thanks! That was the 16-50mm 2.8 SSM (the kit lens!)

tesch's gear list:tesch's gear list
Sony Alpha DSLR-A100 Sony Alpha DSLR-A500 Sony SLT-A77 Sony Alpha a7 Sony DT 18-55mm F3.5-5.6 SAM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads