>>>>>Olympus Challenge # 199 - Cause and Effect<<<<<<

Started Dec 6, 2012 | Discussions
Brad Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,927
>>>>>Olympus Challenge # 199 - Cause and Effect<<<<<<

This challenge is inspired by the recent hurricane, which I experienced in New Jersey US, where Cause and Effect was quite evident. Cause and Effect (also written as cause-effect or cause/effect or cause and consequence) refers to the philosophical concept of causality, in which an action or event will produce a certain response to the action in the form of another event. Cause and Effect is a central concept in Buddhism. However you don’t have to get philosophical, there are a lot of nonhuman examples of cause and effect in the environment. (And also remember it's better with a great shot with questionable theme relevance then no shot at all)

As usual interpret freely if you can think of other interpretations related to the title, And as always, stay focused and have fun!

The challenge runs from today, December 6, 2012 until Monday ,Dec, 17, 2012 at 2100 GMT. That’s when the voting will commence and last two days. On Wednesday, Dec. 19, 2012 at 2100 GMT, the winner will be declared and that’s who will host Competition 201 which begins January 3. 2013.

Newcomers are totally welcome and encouraged to join the fun. Just post here if you need assistance to get images into the gallery or if you are not certain what's going on. We all started off clueless and make the same mistakes.

To post a photo in any of the galleries, just select the gallery of choice from below: Competition or Exhibition or Originals. On the top of the page you will see "edit this gallery", click on that and it will ask for a password. Enter "kickass" (don't ask, just keep it lower case) and you should be able to make it from there. If you still need assistance, ask and you shall be answered. Sometimes the answer is even the right one!

Add your name after the title (makes voting easier). Please limit your image sizes to 800 pixels or less on the long side, and make sure the file size is no more than 200kB. Pbase lets us run these challenges free on their website, so please honor their generosity by keeping your file size reasonable. Ensure the EXIF data is intact for the competition, with the date it was taken.

Starting gallery - contains the other galleries and a link to the general rules: http://www.pbase.com/oly_foto_review/c199_challenge

Competition gallery - for pictures taken to the theme with a 4/3 or µ4/3 camera, during the entry time Dec. 06, 2012 - Dec. 17, 2012. http://www.pbase.com/oly_foto_review/c199_competition

Exhibition gallery - for pictures taken to the theme at any time, with any camera: http://www.pbase.com/oly_foto_review/c199_exhibition

Originals gallery - if you want to show how the original photo looked before you modified it: http://www.pbase.com/oly_foto_review/c199_originals

If your clock doesn't show GMT, here is Catman’s time calculator: http://www.worldtimeserver.com/current_time_in_UTC.aspx

And most important of all: HAVE FUN!

Brad

Brad Ross's gear list:Brad Ross's gear list
Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II
LouHolland
LouHolland Veteran Member • Posts: 9,015
Interesting point of view Brad..

Brad, the idea seems to be born in expirience and emotion and for that it's an interesting point of view to work with and it could deliver some exciting ideas/subjects and images, I'm curious to see how this turned out.

Lou

MikePDX
MikePDX Senior Member • Posts: 1,975
Question: can I submit a panorama?

[...] Please limit your image sizes to 800 pixels or less on the long side, and make sure the file size is no more than 200kB. [...]

I have an idea for an exhibition entry, but it is a pano with a 3:1 aspect ratio.  If I follow the 800 pixel limit, the image will be quite dificult to view.  I can manage the 200kB, but what about an image that's 1800X600 pixels?

-- hide signature --

-Mike
It's much easier to criticize than to create
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mike-pdx/collections/

MikePDX's gear list:MikePDX's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II
OP Brad Ross Veteran Member • Posts: 7,927
Stefan or Brent, can you answer this?

Good question, maybe Stefan or Brent can answer

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Tony Sx Senior Member • Posts: 2,152
As an absolute minimum....

Every submission should state the cause. Otherwise any landscape shot, for instance, can be atributed to spring/summer/autumn/winter arriving. A glass of orange juice can be caused by "pouring". You see my point? Absolutely ANY image can be submitted..... The sun went down, I turned the lights on.

OM 6Ti Plus Contributing Member • Posts: 755
Re: As an absolute minimum....

The consequence of your post could be to inhibit me from entering an image which depicts a cause and leaves open the possible effect(s) . .

Mike

Images posted that show or describe the cause, and then the effect would likely get higher votes, at least from me, a requirement, no, if you likely want to "win", likely a good suggestion, Tony,. But an example, , the image is an egg in the frying, pan, even if I said the cause was, "I cracked it", I doubt even though it is a nice egg image, it would get many votes, so you are right, I think the challenge is to combine the two, ,,and I have not a clue, presently, how I am going to approach this theme

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
Try to keep

the width x height  close to 480000 (same as 800x600) A while back we had a challenge in wide screen format (16:9) http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/35697587 and that came to 1000 x 562 (562000) and square format images should be 750 x 750... so there is flexibility but we try not to abuse the hospitality of the site.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Thanks, Art,

I had forgotten about that challenge, and actually participated in it. It is possible for  panos,,

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Re: Interesting point of view Brad..

Lou I am also interested how it turns out, , I see cause and effect everyday in my hospital where an ordinary day, takes a turn of events that effects someone the rest of their life, but then again people also have something that appears ordinary, that results in a positive change, that keeps,on going in their life

Brad

MercurySoft1
MercurySoft1 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,161
Another suggestion for pano entry,

What I would do if it were me is, I would post the pano according to the rule of the longest end being 800 and then under the photo give us a link you either here on DPR or your own website to look at the shot in a more appropriate size.   That way you are still within the regulations and...we get to really enjoy the panoramic view, and still know the smaller version we see in the gallery is super nice when big.

I don't know if that would be bending the rules or not.  I think when we had a challenge using wide shots/panoramics we allowed 1000x whatever it was  short end.    Hummm...

The only reason there is a size rule at all is because Pbase allows us to your their site for our galleries at no charge, which is mighty kind of them if you would figure out how much space we must take up with 200 challenges behind us.  That's a lot of space.  Thank you Pbase!!!

Shirl Haden
www.pbase.com/shaden008

MercurySoft1's gear list:MercurySoft1's gear list
Olympus E-300 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +3 more
MercurySoft1
Yes that would be good..

I do see your point completely.  So we should title them Cause/Effect -Shirley (for example).

-- hide signature --

Shirl Haden
www.pbase.com/shaden008

Olympus E-300 Olympus E-5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50mm 1:2.0 Macro Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 II +3 more
MercurySoft1
Good enough for me Brad!

Congrats on your win again too!  I'm hoping to have time to find me some photos for that exhibition gallery.  I had a great idea for a photo for the comp.  We'll have to see if my daughter-in-law will agree to it.

-- hide signature --

Shirl Haden
www.pbase.com/shaden008

MikePDX
Looks like best idea is choose another shot

No worries.  I'll just see if I have something else that fits the theme.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

MikePDX
Well, I tried it anyway - 1 in Exhibit

A little higher math got me to the right dimensions, so I gave it a try.

-- hide signature --

-Mike

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
one in X

will have to think a bit to come up w something for the comp.

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more

Actually that might work, showing something that will should cause an obvious effect, but not quite showing the outcome,, leaves it to the viewer to imagine the obvious outcome

-- hide signature --

Brad Ross

Stefan Kaben Veteran Member • Posts: 4,736
Congrats again Brad; curious theme; and

one in the Exhibition.

-- hide signature --
 Stefan Kaben's gear list:Stefan Kaben's gear list
Olympus E-M1
Michael Ramsay Regular Member • Posts: 389
One in ex NT
-- hide signature --

Michael Ramsay

Trond Kleiveland Contributing Member • Posts: 598
Seems I am the first in comp

At least i "give it a shot"

kleivis

Trond Kleiveland's gear list:Trond Kleiveland's gear list
Olympus E-M1 II Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Panasonic Leica 100-400mm F4.0-6.3 ASPH Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads