Topaz Detail ...

Started Dec 6, 2012 | Discussions
Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D.
Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D. Veteran Member • Posts: 5,056
Topaz Detail ...

...  has been upgraded to version 3, (a free upgrade for current Topaz Detail 2 users):  http://www.topazlabs.com/blog/topaz-detail-3-released-special-savings-and-new-intro-and-pro-webinars/

Warm regards

KarlT

-- hide signature --

Karl H.Timmerman M.A.J.D.
BLOG: http://www.karltimmerman.com/Ramblings/
'The best part of taking the moral highground ...... is the view'.

Prstl2 Senior Member • Posts: 1,384
Re: Topaz Detail ......

Thanks for the heads-up.  I just installed Version 3 and this is way more useful to me than the previous version.

Regards,

Paul

Karl H. Timmerman M.A.J.D. wrote:

... has been upgraded to version 3, (a free upgrade for current Topaz Detail 2 users): http://www.topazlabs.com/blog/topaz-detail-3-released-special-savings-and-new-intro-and-pro-webinars/

Warm regards

KarlT

Saleen1999
Saleen1999 Senior Member • Posts: 1,636
Re: Topaz Detail ...

I just found out about this upgrade today and downloaded it tonight. Topaz is one awesome company who has always been generous with their upgrades. There is no company I know that is like that. I just think that Topaz is a small enough company that they don't have hundreds of employees to pay and feel good customer service makes you more money that a large corporation that has more employees to pay therefore you need to charge super high prices for your software to make it successful.

TopazLabs, whatever you are doing, keep doing it cause your doing it right.

-- hide signature --

Melissa aka mustang_fan

Saleen1999's gear list:Saleen1999's gear list
Canon PowerShot G10 Nikon D3S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF VR Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G
Jim B (MSP) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,206

I saw the pre-release webinar - it looks great. I'll download it today.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"Its all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 80D
sankos Senior Member • Posts: 1,939

Topaz Detail is my favourite of their plug-ins, one which I usually load for almost every image (for the three-stage sharpening workflow). After having played with it for 5 minutes I can say that for me it is a good upgrade. The new feature which I find great is masking -- it'll do the job for most of my images where only quick and dirty selection is required. I haven't tested it fully yet but it's even edge aware, so that could help quite a bit in the process of quick selection.

I also like the new presets from the first category -- very good for sharpening, which is the main reason I use the plugin (I dislike weird, overcooked processing).

-- hide signature --

Marcin

GregoryA
GregoryA Contributing Member • Posts: 559

I was one of the Beta testers. Really some great additions and features over the old version.

GregoryA's gear list:GregoryA's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Canon EOS 5D Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Sony a6000 +16 more
GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Re: Topaz Detail 3 & photoFXlab both updated...

Interesting as it would not update from its internal Updater within CS6 here, nor did it want to connect with the server via their Topaz Software Download Manager v1.2.4 either.

I also found their newest photoFXlab would not update and that has been updated too I see (Version 1.2.5.12 is downloading right now even though the one on their site says 1.2.3.  I had 1.2.1 so it too is new, just needed to grab it manually off their downloads section and not use their update within the programs.

Only way I could get them both was to go here and download direct: http://www.topazlabs.com/downloads/

Good work on the find!  Thanks!

Still wish they would make a "Sky Fix Filter" for areas of blown out skies between tree branches, pine needles, leaves, and the like.  No banding artifacts either which seems to pop up at times in JPEG engines/converters in the sky.  I hate working and fixing up that blue sky - or lack of one - stuff.  "Add blue here and there.  Add noise to smooth.  Smooth banding artifacts.  Decrease noise.  Smooth more.  Needs a gradient blend.  Missed a few spots in the branches."  Ugh!

Mack

GDB Contributing Member • Posts: 926

Does Detail allow the sharpening to be adjusted for the viewing distance of a print?

Sounds like a great upgrade.  May download the trial today.

Thanks, Gary

GDB's gear list:GDB's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +3 more
GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
Re. photoFXlab both update.

GMack wrote:

I also found their newest photoFXlab would not update and that has been updated too I see (Version 1.2.5.12 is downloading right now even though the one on their site says 1.2.3. I had 1.2.1 so it too is new, just needed to grab it manually off their downloads section and not use their update within the programs.

Oddly, the version I downloaded says "photofxlab_setup_12512.exe" but it opens with the 1.2.3 installer and it installed 1.2.3.  The opening page shows their older software too (version 2 etc.). Don't know why it shows 1.25.12 as the download.

Oh well, least photoFXlab 1.2.1 is now history and 1.2.3 is in there for the time being.

It did leave behind the old Detail 2 as well for any profiles savings you may have used with it.

Mack

Gord SW Ont Senior Member • Posts: 2,146
"photofxlab_setup_12512.exe" ...

I think that "12512" refers to Dec 05 2012 (and not the usual version format). I think they did this so they wouldn't overwrite the previous file which doesn't always have a date differentiator???

This puzzled me at first too. ;^)

-- hide signature --
Joe Huckleberry Regular Member • Posts: 213

topazlabs upgrade policy, clearly, rocks

mikes
mikes Veteran Member • Posts: 3,429
Agreed............nt
-- hide signature --

Only when you can criticize yourself, should you criticize others. Mikes.

arry_girl
arry_girl Regular Member • Posts: 202
Re: Agreed.......

Y'all are going to make me cave, aren't you?

arry_girl's gear list:arry_girl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
Jim B (MSP) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,206
Re: Agreed.......

It really is a winner.

-- hide signature --

Jim
"Its all about the light"

Jim B (MSP)'s gear list:Jim B (MSP)'s gear list
Canon EOS 80D
Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 15,492

I was one of the first to download and it has been 1.2.3 from the beginning.

Also detail 3.0

you have to dl and update them both.

Mind you that detail 2 is not shown in photofxlab since this software only shows the latest version wich is topaz labs detail 3.0!

It also seems that the settings are a little stronger then the previous version.

Ronald A Yorko Contributing Member • Posts: 577

Thanks for info.  Got no notice from Topaz, even though I have Detail 2 7 Denoise 5.

Ronald A Yorko's gear list:Ronald A Yorko's gear list
DxO Optics Pro Standard
Toermalijn
Toermalijn Forum Pro • Posts: 15,492

Just dl from their website, you can use the detail 2 reg key...

arry_girl
arry_girl Regular Member • Posts: 202
fyi - the 30% discount is also good on the bundle

In case anyone's interested or missed their 50% Black Friday deal, I just noticed the "MoreDetail" 30% discount also applies to the bundled software.

-arry

arry_girl's gear list:arry_girl's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Nikon D5100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 55-200mm f/4-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G VR
mhwarner Senior Member • Posts: 1,129

GMack wrote:

Interesting as it would not update from its internal Updater within CS6 here, nor did it want to connect with the server via their Topaz Software Download Manager v1.2.4 either.

Mack,

They have pretty much discontinued their Software Download Manager (apparently many people complained about it).  You do need to do direct downloads of the new Detail 3 and the updated version of photoFXLab 1.2.3.  You have to install photoFXLab 1.2.3 in order for it to recognize the new version of Detail.

Not sure what Topaz' official word is, but my personal advice is to get rid of (uninstall) the Topaz Software Manager completely and if you have to, reinstall any other plugins you have that it installed (like Simplify 4 or Star Effects).  I had lots of problems when I recently purchased and installed photoFXLab and finally discovered that the Software Manager was causing those problems.  Once installed, my problems were resolved.

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads