Informal poll: How many of you are "hybrid" shooters?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions
Steve_
Steve_ Senior Member • Posts: 2,869
100% -nt

What is this 'movie' you speak of?

Steve_'s gear list:Steve_'s gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH +13 more
Digital Parasite Forum Member • Posts: 88
Re: Informal poll: How many of you are "hybrid" shooters?

I'm category 3 so I guess a hybrid shooter which is one of the reasons I bought the GH3.  Sometimes I will just do photos but most of the time video will also be in there.

Schira
Schira Regular Member • Posts: 418

Category 1.

Video occasional short experiments only. And it is deleted in camera itself.

aljudy Senior Member • Posts: 1,208

I am   3. Stills and video, captured within the same shoot (i.e. hybrid shooter)

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer of family mainly

aljudy's gear list:aljudy's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +9 more
RaymondR
RaymondR Senior Member • Posts: 2,430

no. 1.  thousands and thousands of stills. maybe a dozen videos.

-- hide signature --

RaymondR

RaymondR's gear list:RaymondR's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Sony a5000 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro +4 more
Len_Gee
Len_Gee Veteran Member • Posts: 9,686

tomnorth wrote:

A recent thread comparing the GH3 to the D800 got me wondering how many folks are hybrid shooters, meaning they move back and forth between still photography and video freely within the same shoot. I'm curious what camp folks fall into of the categories listed below:

1. Almost exclusively a stills shooter
  2. Mostly stills with some video mixed in
  3. Stills and video, captured within the same shoot (i.e. hybrid shooter)
  4. Stills and video, but not on the same shoot...different projects
  5. Mostly video with some stills mixed in
  6. Almost exclusively a video shooter

I will self identify as being in category 1.

Len_Gee's gear list:Len_Gee's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100T Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus PEN-F +8 more
Elemental Photography Contributing Member • Posts: 960
I'm a 1 on this scale

Learning video shooting and post-production is on my list of professional development tasks but as it stands I am  almost exclusively a stills shooter. I do have a few seeds of ideas indie movie projects, but we will see if I ever get around to them.

-- hide signature --

A photograph is a creative interpretation of reality.

Elemental Photography's gear list:Elemental Photography's gear list
Pentax Optio WG-2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic GH5 +9 more
FFS Senior Member • Posts: 1,757
6 with mft, 1 with ft. (n/t)
micksh6
micksh6 Senior Member • Posts: 2,613
Me - 1, and see easy polls

http://www.easypolls.net/poll.html?p=50c01945e4b0a8851cbbc6b2

Takes 5 minutes to create such poll. IMO better visualization and easier to count.

micksh6's gear list:micksh6's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +6 more
jalywol
jalywol Veteran Member • Posts: 9,445
I'm a 1....

Funny thing is, I have a GH2, and am actually rather happy with it for stills.  I've never even tried the video on it

-J

mrxak Regular Member • Posts: 218
A rare #4, apparently

I'm surprised I'm so alone in this. The reason I got into M43 was so I could get a GH3 and not have to buy two separate cameras for two very different sorts of projects. But then, I'm not a professional event photographer or anything, or whatever you guys are doing your hybrid shoots for. I'm either taking pictures, or I'm making movies.

mrxak's gear list:mrxak's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic GH5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH +8 more
eques Veteran Member • Posts: 3,124
No. 0

.. but I have pressed the video button inadvertantly once or twice. Peter

eques's gear list:eques's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Samyang 7.5mm F3.5 UMC Fisheye MFT Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 +2 more
John Bean (UK) Forum Pro • Posts: 18,035
Re: No. 0

eques wrote:

.. but I have pressed the video button inadvertantly once or twice. Peter

Heh. Add me to the zero category as well.

-- hide signature --

John Bean [BST (GMT+1)]

John Bean (UK)'s gear list:John Bean (UK)'s gear list
Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Sony E 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 OSS
Alan_W1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,403

I'm probably in 5 catagory, although its difficult to be sure.

I do use a hybrid camera, although i tend to use it mainly for video....and my dslr for stills {for my main interest}.

I would use my gh2 more often for both stills and video {potentially better IQ than my dslr}, but its rare that my ideal stills settings {in a given situation} would be equally ideal for seamlessly switching to video shooting.

Alan_W1's gear list:Alan_W1's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS +8 more
guvenilter Regular Member • Posts: 246

I started out as a 1, went on to 2, and now I think I'm 3...

-- hide signature --

Guven Ilter
http://www.flickr.com/guvenilter
Equipment in plan

guvenilter's gear list:guvenilter's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Fujifilm X-T1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +15 more
MatsP
MatsP Senior Member • Posts: 2,410

Typical number one. I have tried video on my E-M5 once just to see if it worked. It did. It loooked quite okay. I'm not a video shooter, but maybe I'll try it further on.

MatsP's gear list:MatsP's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM +3 more
rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022
Re: Informal poll: How many of you are "hybrid" shooters? 1 for me

tomnorth wrote:

A recent thread comparing the GH3 to the D800 got me wondering how many folks are hybrid shooters, meaning they move back and forth between still photography and video freely within the same shoot. I'm curious what camp folks fall into of the categories listed below:

1. Almost exclusively a stills shooter
  2. Mostly stills with some video mixed in
  3. Stills and video, captured within the same shoot (i.e. hybrid shooter)
  5. Mostly video with some stills mixed in
  6. Almost exclusively a video shooter

I will self identify as being in category 1.

1) too. The E-P1 was my first camera with video capabilities. Tried it once or twice and got crap, never went further; tried it again with G3 and an OIS lens, same crap due to shaky hands. Thought that things would change with the new OM-D IBIS. Indeed, it is very effective. Tried once at the beginning... But never again untill yesterday when I filmed the snow storm (no great results due to darkness and bad visibility) and the morning after the guys taking the snow away on the parking lot behind the house. I was surprised by the good results..

But really, I'm mostly a stills shooters and don't really care for video. I find that I have still much to learn to take well composed pictures and don't want to loose focus with something else/new to learn.

Since this is mostly a photography list, you may get biased results. I bet that if you were asking the same questions on a video oriented forum, the answers would be different.

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II +5 more
axlotl Senior Member • Posts: 1,882
Re: Count me a 1

I just have no urge to do video

GEagle Junior Member • Posts: 41

Most definitely cat. 1 here 

Guido

rrr_hhh Veteran Member • Posts: 6,022
Re: Video in portrait mode

Guy Parsons wrote:

Sort of maybe half way between 1 & 2.

Mostly stills, a few random videos to set the overall scene (so some of the stills make more sense), or to capture interesting movements/sounds.

On trains then stills out the window are a bit useless so will video more to pass the time.

My wife (on her Casio pocket camera) keeps taking videos in portrait format, that does make life interesting later at home turning the monitor on its side to view it.

Regards...... Guy

Ha ha ha ! I did that too, the first time i shot a movie. But now, since I have PC monitors which can be rotated to 90% and with the iPads and other tablets available, it could make sense to shoot videos in portrait format too, when it makes more sense with the content ! Filming a series on skyscrapers may be nicer when done in portrait mode. Same for filming standing persons. With the light flat format TV available now, it could be something more interesting than 3D TV : think of it, what about a panel which would switch automatically from landscape to portrait and vice versa depending on the sensor orientation ?

-- hide signature --

rrr_hhh

rrr_hhh's gear list:rrr_hhh's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R Olympus E-M5 II Sony Alpha a7R II +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads