Informal poll: How many of you are "hybrid" shooters?

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions
tomnorth
tomnorth Contributing Member • Posts: 755
Informal poll: How many of you are "hybrid" shooters?

A recent thread comparing the GH3 to the D800 got me wondering how many folks are hybrid shooters, meaning they move back and forth between still photography and video freely within the same shoot. I'm curious what camp folks fall into of the categories listed below:

1. Almost exclusively a stills shooter
  2. Mostly stills with some video mixed in
  3. Stills and video, captured within the same shoot (i.e. hybrid shooter)
  4. Stills and video, but not on the same shoot...different projects
  5. Mostly video with some stills mixed in
  6. Almost exclusively a video shooter

I will self identify as being in category 1.

tomnorth's gear list:tomnorth's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D4S Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 85mm f/1.8G +6 more
Nikon D800 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bob Meyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375
Re: Informal poll: How many of you are "hybrid" shooters?

tomnorth wrote:

A recent thread comparing the GH3 to the D800 got me wondering how many folks are hybrid shooters, meaning they move back and forth between still photography and video freely within the same shoot. I'm curious what camp folks fall into of the categories listed below:

1. I've shot a few quick videos, mostly to experiment. I supposed I might try more later, but stills will always be my primary purpose.

And I still find m43 to be the best compromise of quality, size, weight, lens availability and features.

-- hide signature --

OM-D for sale; see classifieds forum.

Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +6 more
amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,726
No. 3 - hybrid shooter

Color me No. 3.  I often find opportunities to shoot B-roll when shooting stills.

DonParrot Veteran Member • Posts: 4,929
Re: No. 3 - hybrid shooter

Clearly No 1.
I don't do videos at all.

-- hide signature --

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4004/4688736761_6fd06ae5c8_o.jpg
Why not - if there's enough space on the sofa...
I'm a HOlygan

DonParrot's gear list:DonParrot's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Olympus E-30 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +13 more
Mike Ronesia
Mike Ronesia Veteran Member • Posts: 3,034

1 or 2. Shot video every couple of months.

-- hide signature --

It's easier to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission.

Mike Ronesia's gear list:Mike Ronesia's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sigma sd Quattro +12 more
ayt Contributing Member • Posts: 698

while every body I currently use is a very capable with video (E-M5, D800) I only shoot maybe one video a month, if that.  not too many times I feel that I really need to take a video.

having the ability to shoot quality video doesn't mean you have to shoot video.  and if you do shoot video, it'd be nice if you had the associated videography equipment.  most setups will benefit from having additional gear on top of the traditional stills kit of body and lens.  the D800's internal mic, for example, is mono so you'd want an external stereo microphone at minimum.  a stable tripod, separate audio recording device, and other tools might also be considered essential.

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Sigma DP2 Canon PowerShot S95 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 Olympus E-620 +38 more
Michael Meissner
Michael Meissner Forum Pro • Posts: 25,150
Re: #3: Stills and video in the same shoot

I am a hobby photographer, but I have become one of the two official photographers at some small renaissance faires here in Massachusetts. When I'm shooting faire, my main job is capturing video (the other photographer concentrates on stills), but I still take a lot of stills during the shows. I tend to use different cameras for video and stills. For video I prefer the Kodak ZX-1, which is a weather sealed camera that takes 2 AA batteries and has much better compression than the Olympus cameras (when you are recording hours of performances, space used for the videos becomes important).  I tend to use Olympus cameras for the still shots.

I have been known to even shoot video with two cameras at once (main action is the stage shot with the camera on a tripod, but if I see somebody dancing or doing something special in the audience, I will use the second camera to record that).  For that matter, I often times do 2 cameras for stills, often using the E-P2 + Panasonic 20mm for the casual low light/no flash shots, and the E-5 for the flash shots, or using E-5/E-3 with two different weather sealed lenses in wet conditions.

When I'm not doing faire duty, I don't shoot video much, except for special occasions, since I personally think of myself as a stills photographer.

Michael Meissner's gear list:Michael Meissner's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Olympus TG-860 Olympus E-5 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital 14-54mm 1:2.8-3.5 +19 more
ryan2007 Forum Pro • Posts: 12,001

tomnorth wrote:

I only do one at a time. If however, the moment would be better on video I can shoot video and take a still image in the middle of the video and keep going.

I will also do a series of stills for a "slide show" and if my intent is to create a video project that has moving elements meaning it looks better and has more impact with motion and sound I'll shoot that way.

If your street shooting and can't sit for a minute or its obvious your standing there and standing and you move a bit its obvious to me that person is shooting video, not too inconspicuous.  So its a still shot and continue.

Take a school play, concert or a sports event whatever it is.  Stills are great, but video has its place inside that. Maybe a certain event with a family member you want to remember mannerisms or after someone dies you forget what they sounded like or their laugh etc..

On that note if your shooting video and you have no way to stabilize the shot leaving a bad video then shoot stills so you have something to show for it.

Art_P
Art_P Veteran Member • Posts: 9,875
More 1 than 2

Yes, I've taken the odd video of my dog chasing a squirrel, but not something I do on a regular basis.  But I suspect I'll use it more as time goes on- sometimes it's just a matter or remembering 'oh, yeah, this thing canshoot video' 

-- hide signature --

Art P
"I am a creature of contrast,
of light and shadow.
I live where the two play together,
I thrive on the conflict"

Art_P's gear list:Art_P's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G 14mm F2.5 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +2 more
Ag_Paladin Contributing Member • Posts: 683
Re: More 1 than 2

I'm a 3. Shoot stills for events and need to shoot video too

Ag_Paladin's gear list:Ag_Paladin's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 14-140mm F4-5.8 OIS +6 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 27,737
Sort of 1.5

Sort of maybe half way between 1 & 2.

Mostly stills, a few random videos to set the overall scene (so some of the stills make more sense), or to capture interesting movements/sounds.

On trains then stills out the window are a bit useless so will video more to pass the time.

My wife (on her Casio pocket camera) keeps taking videos in portrait format, that does make life interesting later at home turning the monitor on its side to view it.

Regards...... Guy

Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5
MarcusBrody Regular Member • Posts: 318

I'm a hybrid shooter (though probably closer to "2" than "3") but a stills processor.  I'm ashamed how little I've done with a lot of the video I've shot.  Even when it looks great when I look at it, but I rarely edit it into anything. I resolve to change this, but so far haven't.

MarcusBrody's gear list:MarcusBrody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
njlarsen Regular Member • Posts: 261

Somewhere between 1 and 2. I do take some videos sometimes mixed in between stills, but I have not really gone into figuring out if I use the right settings or not when I do (I use the GH2)

Niels

Narcosynthesis Senior Member • Posts: 1,826

I would have to go slightly below one - a half maybe? I am not *almost* exclusively a stills guy, I *am* exclusively a still guy.

I have nothing against video work, just I have no real interest in pursuing it myself - I shoot as a hobby, and so far am still working with the challenge of capturing the scene in front of me in the way I want, or translating the image in my head into real life. So far video just hasn't interested me as an art medium, so I am more than happy ignoring the video modes my cameras have in favour of practising the stills side of things.

I perhaps should mention that I am a hobby photographer, and not an event photographer or a parent where I want to record situations - should I have children I may very well shoot some family videos, but for the moment, I am a stills only shooter.

-- hide signature --

www.flickr.com/photos/narcosynthesis www.illaname.deviantart.com

RedDog Steve
RedDog Steve Senior Member • Posts: 1,611
Re: Sort of 1.5

Guy Parsons wrote:

Sort of maybe half way between 1 & 2.

Mostly stills, a few random videos to set the overall scene (so some of the stills make more sense), or to capture interesting movements/sounds.

On trains then stills out the window are a bit useless so will video more to pass the time.

My wife (on her Casio pocket camera) keeps taking videos in portrait format, that does make life interesting later at home turning the monitor on its side to view it.

Regards...... Guy

Being honest I'd probably fall into this gap as well.

I tend to shoot more video on the LX5 than the GX1 if than means anything.

rd

RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
gear1box Senior Member • Posts: 1,500

Number 1; i only try a video when some unbearably cute situation presents itself . . . which is less than once a year.

The problem is that i do not know how to edit or enjoy my video clips even when i take them.

And i don't wish to learn.

-- hide signature --

gary ray

--
Semi-professional in early 1970s; just a putzer since then. interests: historical sites, virginia, motorcycle racing. A nikon user more by habit than choice; still, nikon seems to work well for me.

gear1box's gear list:gear1box's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Nikon D810 Olympus E-PL7 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm f/4G ED VR Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 +9 more
sdw1 Regular Member • Posts: 186

sdw1's gear list:sdw1's gear list
Olympus E-M5 II
Lights
Lights Veteran Member • Posts: 3,569
Stills = 98% (nt)
-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

CharlesTokyo Contributing Member • Posts: 721

tomnorth wrote:

I'm curious what camp folks fall into of the categories listed below:

I'm exclusively a stills shooter. I think I can count the number of times I've used video on one hand.

CharlesTokyo's gear list:CharlesTokyo's gear list
Ricoh GR Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +22 more
Promit Senior Member • Posts: 2,007

I'm hybrid but weighted significantly towards stills. Not weighted because I want to be, but because in most cases I just don't know what video I want to take. Photography can be done spur of the moment, composed and taken with what's in front of you. Video doesn't really work that way and I haven't really bridged the divide yet.

Promit's gear list:Promit's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7R II Sony a99 II Sony 24-70mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads