Thank you, Moderators Locked

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions
Shop cameras & lenses ▾
This thread is locked.
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis Forum Pro • Posts: 31,714
Thank you, Moderators

I know it's a controversial subject, but the recent moderation done was long overdue.    When a top poster's posts are more about defending their actions than general interactions and. . . . it gets to be rather unbearable.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it.   Again, thanks.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man
.

 Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7R II Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha 7 II +16 more
Detail Man
Detail Man Forum Pro • Posts: 16,663
Re: Thank you, Moderators

Respecting the copyrights of other posters is not only about basic human decency, it is a matter of the respecting of the legal rights of others. While I observe that there exists a practice on these forums of "quoting" a post containing an image(s) on the same thread as originally posted ...

... the occasional unauthorized publishing of any members DPR Gallery images outside of such a limited case - on the same thread where originally posted, and for specific purposes directly relevant to, and respectful of, the subject of the image(s) original posting by the copyright holder - has always disturbed and troubled me, both in principle as well as in observed practice.

It is my opinion that recognition of, and respect for, the copyrights of other posters is a basic and important element of a community that values it's own members, and in doing so, values integrity.

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915
Re: Thank you, Moderators

Bob Tullis wrote:

I know it's a controversial subject, but the recent moderation done was long overdue. When a top poster's posts are more about defending their actions than general interactions and. . . . it gets to be rather unbearable.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Again, thanks.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man
.

Well said, Bob!  I am glad that someone took action, because I was about to leave the M43 forum until things settled.  And I have a thick skin!!

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer
"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

 SLOtographer's gear list:SLOtographer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
Leethal
Leethal Forum Member • Posts: 62
Re: Thank you, Moderators

Bob Tullis wrote:

I know it's a controversial subject, but the recent moderation done was long overdue. When a top poster's posts are more about defending their actions than general interactions and. . . . it gets to be rather unbearable.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Again, thanks.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man
.

Bob, you are the clear mind in all this clutter.

I have this "top" poster and many others on my ignore list for this very reason!

Thanks for saying what many are thinking

Lee

-- hide signature --

Montana is BIG SKY Country!
Strive for excellence, not perfection.

Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis OP Forum Pro • Posts: 31,714
Re: Thank you, Moderators

Detail Man wrote:

Respecting the copyrights of other posters is not only about basic human decency, it is a matter of the respecting of the legal rights of others. While I observe that there exists a practice on these forums of "quoting" a post containing an image(s) on the same thread as originally posted ...

... the occasional unauthorized publishing of any members DPR Gallery images outside of such a limited case - on the same thread where originally posted, and for specific purposes directly relevant to, and respectful of, the subject of the image(s) original posting by the copyright holder - has always disturbed and troubled me, both in principle as well as in observed practice.

It is my opinion that recognition of, and respect for, the copyrights of other posters is a basic and important element of a community that values it's own members, and in doing so, values integrity.

With all due respect, I just wanted to thank the Mods w/o going into more detail and rehashing of incidents or the character that spawned the action or the merits of moderation.

Onward, with respect for all the variants of circuitry we each carry on the ball atop our shoulders.  

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man
.

 Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7R II Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha 7 II +16 more
LeeS Contributing Member • Posts: 655
Re: Thank you, Moderators

And thank you Bob.

Let us all rededicate ourselves to increasing the S/N ratio and civility in this forum.

Personally, I hope that this time it is permanent.

Another Lee

 LeeS's gear list:LeeS's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus Tough TG-4 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5
Bob Tullis
Bob Tullis OP Forum Pro • Posts: 31,714
Re: Thank you, Moderators

SLOtographer wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

I know it's a controversial subject, but the recent moderation done was long overdue. When a top poster's posts are more about defending their actions than general interactions and. . . . it gets to be rather unbearable.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Again, thanks.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man
.

Well said, Bob! I am glad that someone took action, because I was about to leave the M43 forum until things settled. And I have a thick skin!!

I don't have anything more to say about this, but I will say with a last post on this matter that I've been determined not to be chased by the discomfort some bring to this gathering place - but lately I too was just sick of the disruptions, wanting to bail out permanently.      Hence the acknowledgement of appreciation.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man
.

 Bob Tullis's gear list:Bob Tullis's gear list
Sony Alpha 7S Sony Alpha 7R II Voigtlander 28mm F2 Ultron Sony RX1R II Sony Alpha 7 II +16 more
dantep Forum Member • Posts: 78
Re: Thank you, Moderators

thank you all and GOD BLESS

(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 3,915
Re: Thank you, Moderators

Bob Tullis wrote:

SLOtographer wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

I know it's a controversial subject, but the recent moderation done was long overdue. When a top poster's posts are more about defending their actions than general interactions and. . . . it gets to be rather unbearable.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Again, thanks.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man
.

Well said, Bob! I am glad that someone took action, because I was about to leave the M43 forum until things settled. And I have a thick skin!!

I don't have anything more to say about this, but I will say with a last post on this matter that I've been determined not to be chased by the discomfort some bring to this gathering place - but lately I too was just sick of the disruptions, wanting to bail out permanently. Hence the acknowledgement of appreciation.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man
.

Indeed! Upward and onward!

-- hide signature --

SLOtographer
"If we limit our vision to the real world, we will forever be fighting on the minus side of things, working only too make our photographs equal to what we see out there, but no better." -- Galen Rowell

 SLOtographer's gear list:SLOtographer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 5D Mark III
RedDog Steve
RedDog Steve Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: Thank you, Moderators

SLOtographer wrote:

Bob Tullis wrote:

I know it's a controversial subject, but the recent moderation done was long overdue. When a top poster's posts are more about defending their actions than general interactions and. . . . it gets to be rather unbearable.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. Again, thanks.

-- hide signature --

...Bob, NYC
http://www.bobtullis.com
/"Well, sometimes the magic works. . . Sometimes, it doesn't."/ - Little Big Man
.

Well said, Bob! I am glad that someone took action, because I was about to leave the M43 forum until things settled. And I have a thick skin!!

I've participated in some wild west usenet groups, places where even a thick skin will get your feelings hurt.

I found that "Don't be easily annoyed, Don't be excessively annoying" is a good mindset to operate by even in a well moderated forum.

rd

 RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
RedDog Steve
RedDog Steve Senior Member • Posts: 1,466
Re: Thank you, Moderators

Detail Man wrote:

Respecting the copyrights of other posters is not only about basic human decency, it is a matter of the respecting of the legal rights of others. While I observe that there exists a practice on these forums of "quoting" a post containing an image(s) on the same thread as originally posted ...

... the occasional unauthorized publishing of any members DPR Gallery images outside of such a limited case - on the same thread where originally posted, and for specific purposes directly relevant to, and respectful of, the subject of the image(s) original posting by the copyright holder - has always disturbed and troubled me, both in principle as well as in observed practice.

It is my opinion that recognition of, and respect for, the copyrights of other posters is a basic and important element of a community that values it's own members, and in doing so, values integrity.

In one of the threads I made a point about attribution.
Even in the absence of proper (legal) attribution some (any) reference to the origin goes a long way toward good intention.

rd

 RedDog Steve's gear list:RedDog Steve's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12mm 1:2 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +10 more
Guy Parsons
Guy Parsons Forum Pro • Posts: 24,521
Breaking Rule 2

OK, this thread is also in danger of deletion and/or banning....

Rule 2. Posts discussing moderator actions are not allowed and will be deleted.

But before we all get banned I would also like to say thank you for banning you-know-who.

After he comes back from his regular sojourn at some metal health clinic he seems quite useful and helpful, but slowly and steadily he grows into some "must reply to everything" monster and that gets totally annoying to all concerned.

So all I can say is that I hope after his next release that he does keep up with the proper medication and responds to suggestions to keep it under control. But we all know how that works out......

Regards....... Guy

 Guy Parsons's gear list:Guy Parsons's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL5 Olympus PEN E-P5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-150mm F4-5.6 ASPH Mega OIS Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX3 +20 more
Bob Meyer Veteran Member • Posts: 5,375
Gee, what did I miss? (n/t)
-- hide signature --

OM-D for sale; see classifieds forum.

 Bob Meyer's gear list:Bob Meyer's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH. / Power O.I.S Panasonic Lumix DMC-G3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-G7 +6 more
Detail Man
Detail Man Forum Pro • Posts: 16,663
Re: Matters of Copyrights

RedDog Steve wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

Respecting the copyrights of other posters is not only about basic human decency, it is a matter of the respecting of the legal rights of others. While I observe that there exists a practice on these forums of "quoting" a post containing an image(s) on the same thread as originally posted ...

... the occasional unauthorized publishing of any members DPR Gallery images outside of such a limited case - on the same thread where originally posted, and for specific purposes directly relevant to, and respectful of, the subject of the image(s) original posting by the copyright holder - has always disturbed and troubled me, both in principle as well as in observed practice.

It is my opinion that recognition of, and respect for, the copyrights of other posters is a basic and important element of a community that values it's own members, and in doing so, values integrity.

In one of the threads I made a point about attribution.
Even in the absence of proper (legal) attribution some (any) reference to the origin goes a long way toward good intention.

A potential defense of "fair use" regarding such related events is an interesting legal question. I recently (on Open Talk Forum) I asked some questions specifically relating to such a hypothetical situation to a poster who states that he is a practicing attorney in the field of copyright law:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50152231

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50154303

That poster, who had offered a (not legal advice, but essentially personal) opinion to another poster regarding a situation where a poster had published a re-touched version of another poster's published image, interestingly, ended up electing to not reply to my specific inquiries.

Previous bluster seemed to fade when "the counselor" was faced with specific hypotheticals ...

LudwigVB
LudwigVB Regular Member • Posts: 337
Re: Thank you, Moderators

I wish I knew what this thread was about ??

-- hide signature --

The trouble with resisting temptation is, you never know when you'll get another chance

 LudwigVB's gear list:LudwigVB's gear list
Nikon D90 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-85mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR Nikon AF Nikkor 70-300mm f/4-5.6G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G
BingoCharlie Contributing Member • Posts: 849
Re: Thank you, Moderators

LudwigVB wrote:

I wish I knew what this thread was about ??

-- hide signature --

The trouble with resisting temptation is, you never know when you'll get another chance

You don't enjoy the intrigue? Yesterday someone re-posted a picture of someone else's spouse, and used it to critique the photographer's portraiture skills. That's the super-nice version of events. I'll let you read between the lines regarding what really happened.  The post has been deleted.  I don't know if the user was banned or not.  I haven't seen him around TOday.

Tim in upstate NY
Tim in upstate NY Veteran Member • Posts: 7,120
Re: Breaking Rule 2

Guy Parsons wrote:

After he comes back from his regular sojourn at some metal health clinic he seems quite useful and helpful, but slowly and steadily he grows into some "must reply to everything" monster and that gets totally annoying to all concerned.

So all I can say is that I hope after his next release that he does keep up with the proper medication and responds to suggestions to keep it under control. But we all know how that works out......

. . . He won't be back this time.

 Tim in upstate NY's gear list:Tim in upstate NY's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PL3 Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-45mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 +3 more
Lights
Lights Veteran Member • Posts: 3,532
Re: Thank you, Moderators

Although I like the guy (mostly) think he went over the line this time. He can be quite helpful, but this wasn't. Yes within a thread there is the option to respond with quote, which may include photos by the poster one is responding to. Outside of the thread there is not that option. Just my view.

-- hide signature --

My Gallery is here -
http://www.pbase.com/madlights
Why so serious? :The Joker

nzmacro
nzmacro Forum Pro • Posts: 13,069
Hmmm remember it very well mate

Detail Man wrote:

A potential defense of "fair use" regarding such related events is an interesting legal question. I recently (on Open Talk Forum) I asked some questions specifically relating to such a hypothetical situation to a poster who states that he is a practicing attorney in the field of copyright law:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50152231

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50154303

That poster, who had offered a (not legal advice, but essentially personal) opinion to another poster regarding a situation where a poster had published a re-touched version of another poster's published image, interestingly, ended up electing to not reply to my specific inquiries.

Previous bluster seemed to fade when "the counselor" was faced with specific hypotheticals ...

I remember that thread rather well mate to say the least

It is one of the few things in photography forums that really get me going. Very simply its a total lack of respect IMO and I will hound anyone I see that does this sort of thing. I've had it happen to me and others I know with some even claiming its their work. Man I see red DM

Fair use. To who, thats the issue and not everything is B/W. That was done by a fellow Kiwi, I was not happy at all. All anyone has to do is simply ask permission first.

Anyway I better stop DM. Just thanks for coming to that issue in the Open Talk forum mate

Danny.

-- hide signature --
Detail Man
Detail Man Forum Pro • Posts: 16,663
Re: Hmmm remember it very well mate

nzmacro wrote:

Detail Man wrote:

A potential defense of "fair use" regarding such related events is an interesting legal question. I recently (on Open Talk Forum) I asked some questions specifically relating to such a hypothetical situation to a poster who states that he is a practicing attorney in the field of copyright law:

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50152231

http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/post/50154303

That poster, who had offered a (not legal advice, but essentially personal) opinion to another poster regarding a situation where a poster had published a re-touched version of another poster's published image, interestingly, ended up electing to not reply to my specific inquiries.

Previous bluster seemed to fade when "the counselor" was faced with specific hypotheticals.

I remember that thread rather well mate to say the least

It is one of the few things in photography forums that really get me going. Very simply its a total lack of respect IMO and I will hound anyone I see that does this sort of thing. I've had it happen to me and others I know with some even claiming its their work. Man I see red DM

Fair use. To who, thats the issue and not everything is B/W. That was done by a fellow Kiwi, I was not happy at all. All anyone has to do is simply ask permission first.

Anyway I better stop DM. Just thanks for coming to that issue in the Open Talk forum mate

There is a sometime poster here for who I requested permission to apply some NR to their posted image, and to place it in my DPR Gallery in order to include it in a post showing the result (which that poster requested that I do). It remains in my DPR Gallery to date. But I would not be comfortable to publish it in another (different) thread (such as this one, or any other) - because my processing of that image belongs to the copyright holder. It does not belong to me. Owning and using are different.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads