Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions
Digital Ant New Member • Posts: 2
Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

The canon 70-200 f4 IS lens is an excellent lens. However, recenlty there is a known problem with the quality of the focus module. The problem exists even for new purchased copy.

The lens has no problem to focus when the lens is in horizontal position. However, if your try to focus in the vertical position, there may be a problem.

It is very easy to verify if your copy has the problem.

1) put your lens in horizontal position.

a) watch the distance marking while turning the manual focus ring

b) there should be no problem when focusing from 1.2m to infinity and from infinity to 1.2m

2) now try to put your lens in vertical position, i.e. pointing the lens to the sky

a) there should be no problem when focusing from 1.2m to infinity

b) however, there may be problem when focusing from infinity to 1.2m

c) you may have to turn the focus ring quick to locate the problem

d) somewhere between infinity to 1.2m, there are a couple of distances that the distance marking will stop moving while you are turning the focus ring.

There are already quite a no. users returning the lens to Canon for repair. If your lens is still under warranty, you are lucky! Otherwise you have to pay a fortune to replace the focus module including the usm!!!

I think Canon should recall the batch of lens that have this problem for free repair.

canuck dave
canuck dave Veteran Member • Posts: 3,083
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

Mine works just fine. But I can see that you have a problem with the reference images in your Gallery! 

Lemming51
Lemming51 Forum Pro • Posts: 15,223
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module
2

Digital Ant wrote:

The canon 70-200 f4 IS lens is an excellent lens. However, recenlty there is a known problem with the quality of the focus module. The problem exists even for new purchased copy. ...

Link? I tried googling and only found 2 youtubes matching your description, one a 70-200/4L IS posted last April, the other a 70-200/2.8L IS posted a year ago. Not enough to suggest a widespread problem or a manufacturing defect. Which, by the way, Canon has often been very proactive in doing - e.g. the EF 24-105 f/4L IS USM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2tEOvrWlxIw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tJbXlKBDlF0

A new member who's first and (so far) only post is accusatory of Canon's quality might raise a red flag with a cynic or skeptic.

-- hide signature --

Unapologetic Canon Apologist

 Lemming51's gear list:Lemming51's gear list
Canon EOS 40D Canon EF 50mm F1.8 II Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
OP Digital Ant New Member • Posts: 2
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

Hi All,

I received very interesting replies here.

Maybe I should emphasize that I am talking about "manual" focus, not "auto" focus. Pointing to the sky means putting the lens in vertical position. You don't even need to mount the lens on a camera body. You can just test the lens by itself.

Put the lens vertically. Watch the focus distance markings while turning the manual focus ring. Do it in two rounds, one from 1.2m to infinity, one from infinity to 1.2m.

I found out this issue from the other forums which are in Chinese. If you or your friends can read Chinese, feel free to browse the links below:

dchome
http://www.dchome.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1161908&extra=page%3D1

mobile01
http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=244&t=2986051&r=5&last=39881879

I am writing to users who actually owns a 70-200 f4 is lens. It is some thing objective/factual that you can test it out. There is no arguement here. Either you have the problem or you don't.

The more lens owners who try, the more accurate conclusion we can make.

FYI, I haven't put any photos in the gallery.

People who always say other people are skeptical can also be skeptical themselves. People who always say something good about a brandname/company might work for or be linked to the company some how.

My main purpose of writing this is to let the 70-200 f4 IS lens owners fix their problem (if any) if the lens is still under warranty. Besides, I would also like to bring this to Canon's attention.

Finally, I would like to emphasize again that the issue can be "objectively" verified by yourself if you own the lens. Of course, it would be good if your copy does not have the issue.

gdanmitchell
gdanmitchell Veteran Member • Posts: 7,736
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

Digital Ant wrote:

Hi All,

I received very interesting replies here.

Maybe I should emphasize that I am talking about "manual" focus, not "auto" focus. Pointing to the sky means putting the lens in vertical position. You don't even need to mount the lens on a camera body. You can just test the lens by itself.

Put the lens vertically. Watch the focus distance markings while turning the manual focus ring. Do it in two rounds, one from 1.2m to infinity, one from infinity to 1.2m.

I found out this issue from the other forums which are in Chinese. If you or your friends can read Chinese, feel free to browse the links below:

dchome
http://www.dchome.net/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=1161908&extra=page%3D1

mobile01
http://www.mobile01.com/topicdetail.php?f=244&t=2986051&r=5&last=39881879

I am writing to users who actually owns a 70-200 f4 is lens. It is some thing objective/factual that you can test it out. There is no arguement here. Either you have the problem or you don't.

The more lens owners who try, the more accurate conclusion we can make.

FYI, I haven't put any photos in the gallery.

People who always say other people are skeptical can also be skeptical themselves. People who always say something good about a brandname/company might work for or be linked to the company some how.

My main purpose of writing this is to let the 70-200 f4 IS lens owners fix their problem (if any) if the lens is still under warranty. Besides, I would also like to bring this to Canon's attention.

Finally, I would like to emphasize again that the issue can be "objectively" verified by yourself if you own the lens. Of course, it would be good if your copy does not have the issue.

Again, you are making a great deal about a non-problem. I'm trying to imagine a situation in which you would be using the distance scale on the lens barrel to manually focus a 70-200mm lens in a vertical position - and I'm coming up completely short. The distance scales on modern zooms are not intended to be used as accurate focusing aids, and part of your error may be assuming otherwise.

If you actually want to achieve focus on a subject that it 90 degrees above your camera position, there are three ways in which photographers normally do this:

  1. Use the camera/lens AF function to let the lens acquire focus. (If your lens is not doing this successfully, you may have a problem with the lens or the camera and you might want to send it in for adjustments.)
  2. Use the "live view" feature of the camera view the subject on the rear display. Most likely while using the 10x magnification of this display, put the lens in manual focus mode and carefully adjust the focus ring to achieve excellent focus on your primary subject.
  3. Put the lens in MF mode, look through the viewfinder, and attempt to achieve focus on the viewfinder ground glass screen while turning the focus ring. (This is an old school approach which is rarely a good choice compared to the two previous options.)
scrane
scrane Senior Member • Posts: 2,042
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

I laughed 'til I cried.

 scrane's gear list:scrane's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony RX100 III Canon EOS 5D Sony a7R II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF +10 more
chironNYC Senior Member • Posts: 2,481
Is this really the best the Nikon trolls can do?
1

Is this really the best the Nikon trolls can do?

 chironNYC's gear list:chironNYC's gear list
Sony a9 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 85mm F1.2L II USM Sony 16-35mm F2.8 ZA SSM Carl Zeiss Vario-Sonnar T* +10 more
pcj Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

I think that some are getting misled by the "focus" on watching the distance scale-- that is just the clearest way of seeing how the manual focus ring is actually adjusting the internal focusing elements.  But you can verify the same effect if you look at the movement of those elements through the front of the lens.  Or try manually focusing with live view.  Either way, the issue (if you have it) is that the MF ring has much faster and more reliable effect when going towards infinity than the other way.

The funny thing is that I had logged on to this forum to make my first thread-starting post/question about this very topic, only based on my own experience with my own EF 70-200mm f/4L IS.  It is only a few months old.  I had upgraded from my trusty 8-year-old non-IS version.  Overall I have been very happy with the upgrade: it's at least as good optically, with much more handholding possibility.

But the one issue I have noticed is this somewhat flaky behavior of the manual focus ring.  Before reading this thread, I hadn't noticed the connection with holding the lens vertically, which I almost never do.  I had noticed the problem even holding the lens horizontally: turning the MF ring toward infinity always adjusted the actual focus quickly and evenly, like my various other Canon EF lenses with FTM.  But turning it toward 4ft produces much slower and much less smooth movement of the actual focus.  I did notice that this effect got significantly better over time (the several weeks I was paying attention to it), although now it is still noticeable if you pay close attention.  My hope was that with use, some internal lubrication has spread around better, so the issue had mostly gone away.

But after discovering and reading this thread so far, I decided to check the effect while holding the lens vertically, and sure enough, the effect is pretty much as dramatic as it was originally when I would hold it horizontally.

So the question that I was originally intending to post: does this issue seem like a defect that makes it worthwhile to send my lens to Canon for warranty service?  I likely wouldn't bother if I had to pay for it, because the issue doesn't actually affect me very much-- I mostly use AF, and I mostly hold the lens horizontally (for which the problem isn't bad anymore), and even with the problem, I just need to turn the ring more (and more carefully).  But if this issue would be considered a defect with my copy and not normal for this lens, then I probably would send it in under warranty.

Thanks.

 pcj's gear list:pcj's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +6 more
M D 89 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

Digital Ant wrote:

The canon 70-200 f4 IS lens is an excellent lens. However, recenlty there is a known problem with the quality of the focus module. The problem exists even for new purchased copy.

The lens has no problem to focus when the lens is in horizontal position. However, if your try to focus in the vertical position, there may be a problem.

It is very easy to verify if your copy has the problem.

1) put your lens in horizontal position.

a) watch the distance marking while turning the manual focus ring

b) there should be no problem when focusing from 1.2m to infinity and from infinity to 1.2m

2) now try to put your lens in vertical position, i.e. pointing the lens to the sky

a) there should be no problem when focusing from 1.2m to infinity

b) however, there may be problem when focusing from infinity to 1.2m

c) you may have to turn the focus ring quick to locate the problem

d) somewhere between infinity to 1.2m, there are a couple of distances that the distance marking will stop moving while you are turning the focus ring.

There are already quite a no. users returning the lens to Canon for repair. If your lens is still under warranty, you are lucky! Otherwise you have to pay a fortune to replace the focus module including the usm!!!

I think Canon should recall the batch of lens that have this problem for free repair.

I personally purchased 3 brand new copies of this lens one after the other in early 2012 (I still have the receipts) in the span of 2 months and returned them all after 2-3 days, and that because THEY ALL HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I thought it was a bad batch. The sales people who processed  the return were scratching their heads like I did.

In January of this year (2013) I bought an other copy of the Canon 70 200 f4L IS, only to find out minutes after I tested it that it has the same issue: very slow and skipping manual focus, if the lens is horizontal, from infinity to 1.2 and a non working mf at all in the same range when pointing the lens up 45' or more. I returned this one the same day!

I tried also a Canon 70 200 f2.8 non IS lens, just to notice the same issue (not as bad though) + a tendency to back focus heavily!

To me, with all the posts I read on the net, this is statistically enough to speak of Canon being dishonest and disrespectful with its loyal users. The whole experience was a pure waist of time.

The consequence of this and other issues with Canon's policies and products is that I stopped buying any Canon lenses (I have only two, both L series) and that will not set me back from changing brand when circumstances permit.

I truly love my Canon gear and most importantly the quality of the photos I can get with it, but when I factor the waist of time, the cost of repairs and their warranty headaches, I wonder if it worth it. I can get photos as good from other companies products with better QC and honesty.

My 2 cents..

canuck dave
canuck dave Veteran Member • Posts: 3,083
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

Please go buy a Nikon. They would love to have you as a customer! 

pcj Junior Member • Posts: 43
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

M D 89 wrote:

I personally purchased 3 brand new copies of this lens one after the other in early 2012 (I still have the receipts) in the span of 2 months and returned them all after 2-3 days, and that because THEY ALL HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I thought it was a bad batch. The sales people who processed  the return were scratching their heads like I did.

In January of this year (2013) I bought an other copy of the Canon 70 200 f4L IS, only to find out minutes after I tested it that it has the same issue: very slow and skipping manual focus, if the lens is horizontal, from infinity to 1.2 and a non working mf at all in the same range when pointing the lens up 45' or more. I returned this one the same day!

FYI, as I reported here:

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3389168

A couple of months ago I sent my 70-200mm f/4 IS to Canon service in NJ for this issue, and they fixed it under warranty (with quick turnaround).  It has been working fine since then.

 pcj's gear list:pcj's gear list
Sony a7R II Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 24-70mm F4 OSS +6 more
Limburger
Limburger Veteran Member • Posts: 7,841
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

M D 89 wrote:

Digital Ant wrote:

The canon 70-200 f4 IS lens is an excellent lens. However, recenlty there is a known problem with the quality of the focus module. The problem exists even for new purchased copy.

The lens has no problem to focus when the lens is in horizontal position. However, if your try to focus in the vertical position, there may be a problem.

It is very easy to verify if your copy has the problem.

1) put your lens in horizontal position.

a) watch the distance marking while turning the manual focus ring

b) there should be no problem when focusing from 1.2m to infinity and from infinity to 1.2m

2) now try to put your lens in vertical position, i.e. pointing the lens to the sky

a) there should be no problem when focusing from 1.2m to infinity

b) however, there may be problem when focusing from infinity to 1.2m

c) you may have to turn the focus ring quick to locate the problem

d) somewhere between infinity to 1.2m, there are a couple of distances that the distance marking will stop moving while you are turning the focus ring.

There are already quite a no. users returning the lens to Canon for repair. If your lens is still under warranty, you are lucky! Otherwise you have to pay a fortune to replace the focus module including the usm!!!

I think Canon should recall the batch of lens that have this problem for free repair.

I personally purchased 3 brand new copies of this lens one after the other in early 2012 (I still have the receipts) in the span of 2 months and returned them all after 2-3 days, and that because THEY ALL HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I thought it was a bad batch. The sales people who processed  the return were scratching their heads like I did.

In January of this year (2013) I bought an other copy of the Canon 70 200 f4L IS, only to find out minutes after I tested it that it has the same issue: very slow and skipping manual focus, if the lens is horizontal, from infinity to 1.2 and a non working mf at all in the same range when pointing the lens up 45' or more. I returned this one the same day!

I tried also a Canon 70 200 f2.8 non IS lens, just to notice the same issue (not as bad though) + a tendency to back focus heavily!

To me, with all the posts I read on the net, this is statistically enough to speak of Canon being dishonest and disrespectful with its loyal users. The whole experience was a pure waist of time.

The consequence of this and other issues with Canon's policies and products is that I stopped buying any Canon lenses (I have only two, both L series) and that will not set me back from changing brand when circumstances permit.

I truly love my Canon gear and most importantly the quality of the photos I can get with it, but when I factor the waist of time, the cost of repairs and their warranty headaches, I wonder if it worth it. I can get photos as good from other companies products with better QC and honesty.

My 2 cents..

Could you post some of the examples you mention f4 as 2.8 bf?

Three times (is it?) f4 and 2.8 as well. Makes me think of Bad Moon Rising by CCR.

What body you shoot?

-- hide signature --

Cheers Mike

 Limburger's gear list:Limburger's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix X100 Canon EOS 7D Sony a7 Canon EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM +3 more
M D 89 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

All f4L is. One 2.8 non IS. I am shooting a 60D. And have a 24 105 f4 and a 50 f1.4

Limburger wrote:

M D 89 wrote:

Digital Ant wrote:

The canon 70-200 f4 IS lens is an excellent lens. However, recenlty there is a known problem with the quality of the focus module. The problem exists even for new purchased copy.

The lens has no problem to focus when the lens is in horizontal position. However, if your try to focus in the vertical position, there may be a problem.

It is very easy to verify if your copy has the problem.

1) put your lens in horizontal position.

a) watch the distance marking while turning the manual focus ring

b) there should be no problem when focusing from 1.2m to infinity and from infinity to 1.2m

2) now try to put your lens in vertical position, i.e. pointing the lens to the sky

a) there should be no problem when focusing from 1.2m to infinity

b) however, there may be problem when focusing from infinity to 1.2m

c) you may have to turn the focus ring quick to locate the problem

d) somewhere between infinity to 1.2m, there are a couple of distances that the distance marking will stop moving while you are turning the focus ring.

There are already quite a no. users returning the lens to Canon for repair. If your lens is still under warranty, you are lucky! Otherwise you have to pay a fortune to replace the focus module including the usm!!!

I think Canon should recall the batch of lens that have this problem for free repair.

I personally purchased 3 brand new copies of this lens one after the other in early 2012 (I still have the receipts) in the span of 2 months and returned them all after 2-3 days, and that because THEY ALL HAD THE EXACT SAME PROBLEM. I thought it was a bad batch. The sales people who processed  the return were scratching their heads like I did.

In January of this year (2013) I bought an other copy of the Canon 70 200 f4L IS, only to find out minutes after I tested it that it has the same issue: very slow and skipping manual focus, if the lens is horizontal, from infinity to 1.2 and a non working mf at all in the same range when pointing the lens up 45' or more. I returned this one the same day!

I tried also a Canon 70 200 f2.8 non IS lens, just to notice the same issue (not as bad though) + a tendency to back focus heavily!

To me, with all the posts I read on the net, this is statistically enough to speak of Canon being dishonest and disrespectful with its loyal users. The whole experience was a pure waist of time.

The consequence of this and other issues with Canon's policies and products is that I stopped buying any Canon lenses (I have only two, both L series) and that will not set me back from changing brand when circumstances permit.

I truly love my Canon gear and most importantly the quality of the photos I can get with it, but when I factor the waist of time, the cost of repairs and their warranty headaches, I wonder if it worth it. I can get photos as good from other companies products with better QC and honesty.

My 2 cents..

Could you post some of the examples you mention f4 as 2.8 bf?

Three times (is it?) f4 and 2.8 as well. Makes me think of Bad Moon Rising by CCR.

What body you shoot?

M D 89 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

canuck dave wrote:

Please go buy a Nikon. They would love to have you as a customer! 

In fact, I do have a d7000 and a 16 85 and  70 300 and a 50. Never had an issue with them. My wife uses them mostly. I personally prefer Canon (love the color rendering) but I find that if I am paying $1200 for a lens, I expect it at least to work properly and not to pay to get it fixed the same day I get it.

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module
1

M D 89 wrote:

canuck dave wrote:

Please go buy a Nikon. They would love to have you as a customer! 

In fact, I do have a d7000 and a 16 85 and  70 300 and a 50. Never had an issue with them. My wife uses them mostly. I personally prefer Canon (love the color rendering) but I find that if I am paying $1200 for a lens, I expect it at least to work properly and not to pay to get it fixed the same day I get it.

Could you please explain to us how this "problem" is preventing you from getting images?

As others have said, it's hard to imagine a scenario where this could possibly be a problem.

What are you shooting and how are you using the distance marking for the shots?

Keith Williamson Contributing Member • Posts: 528
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

I had exactly the same problem with my copy of that lens. It cost about 400 pounds to have it repaired.

-- hide signature --

If I take a bad picture it is my fault not the camera's.

 Keith Williamson's gear list:Keith Williamson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +9 more
Keith Williamson Contributing Member • Posts: 528
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

My copy of the lens was tack sharp at all apertures and focal lengths when I bought it. After a year or so I noticed that pictures at f4 were no longer sharp so I tried micro adjusting the lens which of course made no difference. At the same time, I had the issue with the manual focus ring that the OP describes. In the end I sent it for repair. The focus assembly and a few other parts were replaced and the lens was returned working like new again.

From what I have now read, this is a genuine problem with the f4L IS version of this lens which I now believe Canon should have sorted even out of warranty.

-- hide signature --

If I take a bad picture it is my fault not the camera's.

 Keith Williamson's gear list:Keith Williamson's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Fujifilm X-Pro2 Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 100mm F2.8L Macro IS USM +9 more
M D 89 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

schmegg wrote:

M D 89 wrote:

canuck dave wrote:

Please go buy a Nikon. They would love to have you as a customer! 

In fact, I do have a d7000 and a 16 85 and  70 300 and a 50. Never had an issue with them. My wife uses them mostly. I personally prefer Canon (love the color rendering) but I find that if I am paying $1200 for a lens, I expect it at least to work properly and not to pay to get it fixed the same day I get it.

Could you please explain to us how this "problem" is preventing you from getting images?

As others have said, it's hard to imagine a scenario where this could possibly be a problem.

What are you shooting and how are you using the distance marking for the shots?

It doesn't matter how I shoot and if I should or not use the manual focus, what matters is that the way I shoot made me discover the problem the very next day the first time I had a copy of this lens and that was enough for me to return it. I refuse to send it to Canon and pay for the postage just to have back (after 2-3 weeks , as I was told by a somewhat arrogant Canon representative) a "New item that was newly repaired" aka refurbished! When you pay for a new item, you should expect a new item not one that is refurbished...

schmegg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,768
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

M D 89 wrote:

schmegg wrote:

M D 89 wrote:

canuck dave wrote:

Please go buy a Nikon. They would love to have you as a customer! 

In fact, I do have a d7000 and a 16 85 and  70 300 and a 50. Never had an issue with them. My wife uses them mostly. I personally prefer Canon (love the color rendering) but I find that if I am paying $1200 for a lens, I expect it at least to work properly and not to pay to get it fixed the same day I get it.

Could you please explain to us how this "problem" is preventing you from getting images?

As others have said, it's hard to imagine a scenario where this could possibly be a problem.

What are you shooting and how are you using the distance marking for the shots?

It doesn't matter how I shoot and if I should or not use the manual focus, what matters is that the way I shoot made me discover the problem the very next day the first time I had a copy of this lens and that was enough for me to return it. I refuse to send it to Canon and pay for the postage just to have back (after 2-3 weeks , as I was told by a somewhat arrogant Canon representative) a "New item that was newly repaired" aka refurbished! When you pay for a new item, you should expect a new item not one that is refurbished...

Well, whether it matters or not is entirely your call I guess. Personally, I'm a little more pragmatic than you - for me, it it doesn't affect my abilities to get the shots I want, then I couldn't care less. I see no need to worry about things that really aren't a problem for me.

You say you think that "Canon should recall the batch of lens that have this problem for free repair". I'm sure that if the lens is under warranty you are well within your rights to get it fixed for free anyway. If it's out of warranty then you need to decide if the "issue" affects you seriously enough to be bothered taking the issue further. If you want peoples opinion on this, then describing how the issue is affecting your abilities to get the shots you want will definitely help.

You'd be better served by taking your complaint to your local 'consumer protection' agency - I'm sure that, at least in my country, you'd be entitled to a new lens or a full refund.

M D 89 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Canon 70-200 f4 IS - Quality Problem with Focus Module

schmegg wrote:

M D 89 wrote:

schmegg wrote:

M D 89 wrote:

canuck dave wrote:

Please go buy a Nikon. They would love to have you as a customer! 

In fact, I do have a d7000 and a 16 85 and  70 300 and a 50. Never had an issue with them. My wife uses them mostly. I personally prefer Canon (love the color rendering) but I find that if I am paying $1200 for a lens, I expect it at least to work properly and not to pay to get it fixed the same day I get it.

Could you please explain to us how this "problem" is preventing you from getting images?

As others have said, it's hard to imagine a scenario where this could possibly be a problem.

What are you shooting and how are you using the distance marking for the shots?

It doesn't matter how I shoot and if I should or not use the manual focus, what matters is that the way I shoot made me discover the problem the very next day the first time I had a copy of this lens and that was enough for me to return it. I refuse to send it to Canon and pay for the postage just to have back (after 2-3 weeks , as I was told by a somewhat arrogant Canon representative) a "New item that was newly repaired" aka refurbished! When you pay for a new item, you should expect a new item not one that is refurbished...

Well, whether it matters or not is entirely your call I guess. Personally, I'm a little more pragmatic than you - for me, it it doesn't affect my abilities to get the shots I want, then I couldn't care less. I see no need to worry about things that really aren't a problem for me.

You say you think that "Canon should recall the batch of lens that have this problem for free repair". I'm sure that if the lens is under warranty you are well within your rights to get it fixed for free anyway. If it's out of warranty then you need to decide if the "issue" affects you seriously enough to be bothered taking the issue further. If you want peoples opinion on this, then describing how the issue is affecting your abilities to get the shots you want will definitely help.

You'd be better served by taking your complaint to your local 'consumer protection' agency - I'm sure that, at least in my country, you'd be entitled to a new lens or a full refund.

Agreed. My concern however is the long term reliability of the lens. The distance marking is not the issue. The issue is the focus ring that is not reliable going one side and not going or going slowly on the other. A quarter turn one way equals two turns on the other and if you lift the camera for a bird or architectural shot, manual adjustment of the focus is impossible going toward the 1.2m. The components would just not move! I am a Canon guy since 1982 (that's 31 years) and I find this matter unfair to me and all those who buy the L lenses for their quality. I admit that when AF is used, the lens is perfect. Read a bit more how this problem can become more serious in the matter of 1 to 2 years of use and you will understand where I am coming from. I truly appreciate your replies and hope I will be able to return the favor and help out when needed.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads