AARRRGGHH! Missed the UPS Guy Delivering my GH3

Started Dec 5, 2012 | Discussions
Ann Chaikin
Ann Chaikin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,079
AARRRGGHH! Missed the UPS Guy Delivering my GH3

I can't believe it. We were home the entire day and evening but somehow UPS managed to leave the "I'll come back tomorrow" message without us hearing them while we were watching a movie on TV. I am so frustrated and tomorrow we have somewhere we have to be in the morning. The note says he'll be back after 2 pm. I really hope so as we can skip some of our plans and be home before 2. If he comes earlier we are screwed. Dang! I was so looking forward to getting the camera today. Yes, I am not a happy camper. Sigh.

Ann Chaikin's gear list:Ann Chaikin's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic G85 +8 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
caver3d Contributing Member • Posts: 727
Re: AARRRGGHH! Missed the UPS Guy Delivering my GH3

Ann Chaikin wrote:

I can't believe it. We were home the entire day and evening but somehow UPS managed to leave the "I'll come back tomorrow" message without us hearing them while we were watching a movie on TV. I am so frustrated and tomorrow we have somewhere we have to be in the morning. The note says he'll be back after 2 pm. I really hope so as we can skip some of our plans and be home before 2. If he comes earlier we are screwed. Dang! I was so looking forward to getting the camera today. Yes, I am not a happy camper. Sigh.

Ann:

This is typical UPS.  They run up to the door, quickly knock or ring the bell once.  If you don't hear it the first time, you are  s#&t  out of luck as he (she) quickly writes and leaves the notice,  is already racing back to the truck,  and getting the heck out of Dodge.

Oh yeah, and if you have a nice green lawn out front, they make it a point to run over it both ways.  Come to think of it, I should video that with my GH2.

caver3d

caver3d's gear list:caver3d's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LC1 Lytro Illum Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 II Fujifilm FinePix X100 +16 more
idiotekniQues
idiotekniQues Senior Member • Posts: 1,255

amazing story

-- hide signature --

www.simplyathos.com

idiotekniQues's gear list:idiotekniQues's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M5 II Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm 1:2.8 Macro Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R +2 more
Button Pusher
Button Pusher Contributing Member • Posts: 584

caver3d wrote:

Ann Chaikin wrote:

Ann:

This is typical UPS. They run up to the door, quickly knock or ring the bell once. If you don't hear it the first time, you are s#&t out of luck as he (she) quickly writes and leaves the notice, is already racing back to the truck, and getting the heck out of Dodge.

Oh yeah, and if you have a nice green lawn out front, they make it a point to run over it both ways. Come to think of it, I should video that with my GH2.

caver3d

This is so true with UPS. I made a point of working from home one day when I knew a package that required signature would arrive and I had no audio generating devices on the entire day (radio, TV, streaming music) and lo and behold good ole UPS snuck up to my door and slapped a sticker on it without either knocking or ringing the doorbell. I complained to the supervisor but they really didn't care at all. Never use UPS if you intend to receive something with signature required in a timely fashion. They'll have to prove me wrong for me to change my mind about them.

Button Pusher's gear list:Button Pusher's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4
KwhyChang Veteran Member • Posts: 4,898

I ask them to hold it at their office, which can be done online.

Then I just pick it up on the way home from work.

-- hide signature --

Dave

John.Laninga
John.Laninga Senior Member • Posts: 2,347

These guys are on an extremely short time line, especially this time of year.  Did you know they are trained to start the truck with one hand, and simultaneously fasten their seat belt with the other to save time?  And their routing maximizes right turn because left turns takes longer?

I'm not condoning their lack of time waiting for a door bell to be answered, or their tendency to run up, slap the sticker on and depart.  But I do appreciate their hard work, because if we didn't, we'd have a much more difficult time getting packages.

Ann, where did you order from?  I had my GH3 on order with B&H since day one....

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-S1 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +3 more
BingoCharlie Contributing Member • Posts: 849

Been there.  Done that.  Bought the t-shirt.  UPS is the worst.

ayt Contributing Member • Posts: 698

perhaps you should camp out by the front door, or leave a note stating that you are indeed home to accept the package and for them to ring the bell and wait a minute.

I received a gitzo 1542t yesterday.  seems it didn't require signature confirmation.  I look out the door one minute and see nothing, and there's a box sitting there the next.  not sure if I like having a $500 good simply dropped off (it is a safe neighborhood, but still) but better than waiting for redelivery I suppose.

ayt's gear list:ayt's gear list
Canon PowerShot S95 Sigma DP2 Olympus E-620 Olympus E-1 Olympus E-500 +38 more
amtberg Veteran Member • Posts: 5,726

That's gotta sting.  Same thing has happened to me in the past.  Stupidly, I've learned that I actually have listen for the UPS truck, as opposed to the doorbell.  Fortunately my dog provides a big assist there.

ian_labay
ian_labay Regular Member • Posts: 180

I hate missing the brown truck! But I suppose its better than leaving the product in front of your doorstep for your shady neighbors to find and have a great Christmas

-- hide signature --

'Make it so'

ian_labay's gear list:ian_labay's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Fujifilm X-Pro1 Canon EOS 6D Olympus OM-D E-M5 +1 more
MarcusBrody Regular Member • Posts: 318

KwhyChang wrote:

I ask them to hold it at their office, which can be done online.

Then I just pick it up on the way home from work.

-- hide signature --

Dave

+1 for this.  Now that you have the missed delivery thing, you can go to the website and ask them to hold it.  As long as the office is nearby it's really simple and you usually can pick it up early the next day (if you made the request the evening you missed the delivery).

MarcusBrody's gear list:MarcusBrody's gear list
Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario 45-200mm F4-5.6 OIS Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-42mm F3.5-5.6 ASPH OIS +3 more
PhotoPMW Regular Member • Posts: 116

I can sympathize.  On black Friday, I ordered two E-PL5s (one for my wife) from a huge NY camera store.  UPS said they would be delivered the following Wednesday.  I checked tracking on that Wednesday - WhoHoo! Out for Delivery!  UPS usually comes around 5 or 6 PM.  Those times came and went.  So did 7 PM.  Still out for delivery.  I called UPS customer service.  They said "out for delivery" means they will deliver until 11:59PM.  So we stayed up until after midnight and no delivery.  On Thursday - out for delivery.  At 4:30 PM I started looking for a phone number for the local warehouse, and the doorbell rang.  Finally!  It was a tense two days.  We are going to leave the cameras unopened and wrap them to put under the tree.  That's my wife's idea - not mine.

PhotoPMW's gear list:PhotoPMW's gear list
Canon EOS 10D
(unknown member) Veteran Member • Posts: 9,549

I just wish more services used the post office. It's there in the morning, they wait a bit for a signature if needed, and if you miss it the package will be there later at the office.

When I bought my first dslr, and Oly 420, I missed the UPS truck at least twice before finally getting the office (open 4 hours a day) to phone the driver so I could track him down and find my camera.

-- hide signature --

John Krumm
Juneau, AK

Ann Chaikin
OP Ann Chaikin Veteran Member • Posts: 7,079

I ordered from B&H. Placed order on September 19. It will come today. This time I left my signature so they will deliver! Or they had better.

Panasonic FZ1000 Sony RX100 IV Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 Sony Alpha a7R II Panasonic G85 +8 more
Ann Chaikin
Larry Silverberg Regular Member • Posts: 157

Ann Chaikin wrote:

I simply write a note that says, " ATTENTION UPS: I am here! Please knock loud" and I tape it to the front door first thing in the morning.

That's what I did today and UPS just delivered my GH3 two minutes ago!

Ann Chaikin

Wrapped under the tree. Yikes! No way Jose. Out of the box. Battery in charger. Impatient waiting. Then Yippee!!

Ann Chaikin wrote:

Wrapped under the tree. Yikes! No way Jose. Out of the box. Battery in charger. Impatient waiting. Then Yippee!!

Cool, my battery is charging too! And I just put the new 25mm, 1.7 on the body.

Larry Silverberg wrote:

Ann Chaikin wrote:

Cool, my battery is charging too! And I just put the new 25mm, 1.7 on the body.

Woops, that should read, Panny 25mm, 1.4. That's why I bought it!

John.Laninga
John.Laninga Senior Member • Posts: 2,347

Thanks, Ann.  I ordered mine September 18 (one day before you) and my order status is "Back ordered".  Maybe it will be out today....

John.Laninga's gear list:John.Laninga's gear list
Fujifilm XF1 Fujifilm X30 Fujifilm X-S1 Pentax K-3 II Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads