Which camera has lowest noise on market

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions
jouni123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,241
Which camera has lowest noise on market

What do you think, which digital camera today has lowest noise, best in high ISO and low light, now we talk of  fullsensor and smaller cameras. Could it be Canon 6D ?.  JS

jouni123's gear list:jouni123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +10 more
Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
WWWdotROOSdotTC Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Which camera has lowest noise on market

All the other canikon full frames released 2012 have very more or less the same noise levels at high iso.

Have a look here:

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR.htm#EOS%205D%20Mark%20III,D600,D800E,EOS%201D%20X,D4,Ideal_FX

Expect the 6d to perform almost identically to the other Canons, with worse DR than the Nikons at base ISO and equal porformance at high ISO. If you look at the 5d3 curve you can see something fishy going on at the very high ISO end. That is some kind of cooking of the raw file. Maybe Canon will do like Pentax and bring that down to around 6400 or so, who knows.

All the cameras released this year from canon, nikon, pentax and fuji follows the same high ISO pattern. They are about 1 stop from theoretical maximum. The only camera that stands out from it is the olympus OM-D E-M5. It seems to achieve almost on par with what is possible within the laws of nature. Either they have taken the final performance leap and this is how the future is going to look like or there is cooking going on all the way down to base ISO.

WWWdotROOSdotTC's gear list:WWWdotROOSdotTC's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
BrianPriceUK Contributing Member • Posts: 750

Do you mean noise from the sensor or noise from the trolls and fanboys?

Brian

photo nuts Senior Member • Posts: 1,364
Thanks for the awesome link!

WWWdotROOSdotTC wrote:

All the other canikon full frames released 2012 have very more or less the same noise levels at high iso.

Have a look here:

http://home.comcast.net/~NikonD70/Charts/PDR.htm#EOS%205D%20Mark%20III,D600,D800E,EOS%201D%20X,D4,Ideal_FX

I am rather surprised by the OMD data. I own the OMD now which replaced my 60D (similar sensor to 7D). I honestly do NOT believe it has better sensor performance than 60D. If there's any difference, it is definitely worse.

WWWdotROOSdotTC Junior Member • Posts: 25
Re: Thanks for the awesome link!

photo nuts wrote:

WWWdotROOSdotTC wrote:

Have a look here:

I am rather surprised by the OMD data. I own the OMD now which replaced my 60D (similar sensor to 7D). I honestly do NOT believe it has better sensor performance than 60D. If there's any difference, it is definitely worse.

Well, thats why most people think that the raw file is pre cooked. The sonsor is however a lot smaller, so even reaching a performance that is on par with a modern aps-c camera would be a great achievment.

WWWdotROOSdotTC's gear list:WWWdotROOSdotTC's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2
Pitbullo Contributing Member • Posts: 557

From what I have seen, 1DX.

OP jouni123 Senior Member • Posts: 1,241
Thanks Roosdot

That was informative lesson, what it says, there is not coming any wonder from west front to solve radically noise issues, cameras follow same technics, are near each other. Thanks Roosdot, jouni

jouni123's gear list:jouni123's gear list
Fujifilm X-E1 Canon EOS 6D Sony Alpha a7R II Fujifilm X-T2 Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM +10 more
Tareq Abdulla Regular Member • Posts: 259

1DX and D4 and 5D3

Tareq Abdulla's gear list:Tareq Abdulla's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS-1Ds Mark II Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 5D +18 more
mulder 1361 Regular Member • Posts: 223

5D3, don,t even use NR at 8000. I can not even do that with my D3,s. Incredible device for $2649.00. I leave the 1DMKIV, home it simply can compare after 3200.-Regards

phiri Contributing Member • Posts: 969

mulder 1361 wrote:

5D3, don,t even use NR at 8000. I can not even do that with my D3,s. Incredible device for $2649.00. I leave the 1DMKIV, home it simply can compare after 3200.-Regards

I think that is debatable. If we are to go by the pictures that you normally post, while ISO 8000 looks clean, NR is excessive to the point that there is hardly any texture for instance in the hair, cloth etc. For me I would tolerate a little bit of noise as long as there is detail in the photos. But that is just my personal preference and it is different for different indivuduals.

phiri's gear list:phiri's gear list
Nikon D7000 Nikon 1 J1 Nikon D600 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6G VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm f/1.8G +6 more
Rick Knepper
Rick Knepper Forum Pro • Posts: 15,529
Would you mind stating the source of this graph & the methodology used?

WWWdotROOSdotTC wrote:

Have a look here:

Expect the 6d to perform almost identically to the other Canons, with worse DR than the Nikons at base ISO and equal porformance at high ISO. If you look at the 5d3 curve you can see something fishy going on at the very high ISO end. That is some kind of cooking of the raw file. Maybe Canon will do like Pentax and bring that down to around 6400 or so, who knows.

All the cameras released this year from canon, nikon, pentax and fuji follows the same high ISO pattern. They are about 1 stop from theoretical maximum. The only camera that stands out from it is the olympus OM-D E-M5. It seems to achieve almost on par with what is possible within the laws of nature. Either they have taken the final performance leap and this is how the future is going to look like or there is cooking going on all the way down to base ISO.

-- hide signature --

Rick Knepper, photographer, non-professional, shooting for pleasure, check my profile for gear list and philosophy.

Rick Knepper's gear list:Rick Knepper's gear list
Pentax 645Z Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm GFX 50S Pentax smc D FA 645 55mm F2.8 AL (IF) SDM AW Pentax DA645 28-45mm F4.5 +8 more
bobn2
bobn2 Forum Pro • Posts: 55,712
Re: Thanks for the awesome link!

WWWdotROOSdotTC wrote:

photo nuts wrote:

WWWdotROOSdotTC wrote:

Have a look here:

Well, thats why most people think that the raw file is pre cooked.

Did you do a survey so that you know what 'most peopel' think, or are you just assuming that 'most people' think the same as you do? I haven't seen any evidence that the E-M5 raw data is cooked, while there is compelling evidence that the 1D X and 5DIII raw data is cooked. The E-M5 is unusual in that Olympus has set the metering to allow a huge amount of headroom, as evidenced by the DxO 'ISO' figures which are nearly a stop slower than the nominal. What this means is that in tests of total sensor DR which measure the whole sensor range, the E-M5 gets what looks like a stop's advantage over cameras with more conventionally calibrated metering. However, when in normal metered exposure situations, where the top end of the DR is determined by metered exposure, not sensor capacity, that advantage disappears.

-- hide signature --

Bob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads