Holy RX1 Sensor Defect

Started Dec 4, 2012 | Discussions
dsm6 Junior Member • Posts: 46
Holy RX1 Sensor Defect

Here's an example of some solid QC on a near 3K camera. Hopefully I got the bad apple and this isn't a widespread problem.

F22

F11

F4

Sony RX1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
smallcams Veteran Member • Posts: 3,297
Re: Holy RX1 Sensor Defect

That's terrible. Where did you buy it from and how quickly will they replace it for you?

OP dsm6 Junior Member • Posts: 46

smallcams wrote:

That's terrible. Where did you buy it from and how quickly will they replace it for you?

Amazon. No idea when I'll get a replacement.

I highly recommend that all stop down their lenses and check the sensor as soon as your RX1 arrives.

NeilJones
NeilJones Veteran Member • Posts: 5,455

dsm6 wrote:

smallcams wrote:

I highly recommend that all stop down their lenses and check the sensor as soon as your RX1 arrives.

I knew there was a reason I cancelled my pre-order!

-- hide signature --

It's just photography, lighten up.

OP dsm6 Junior Member • Posts: 46

I wonder how much cost would have been added to the final price if they  had someone actually turn the camera on for 5 seconds to see if the sensor was free of debris / spots?

sroute Senior Member • Posts: 2,507

NeilJones wrote:

Very wise of you. Prescient even. Kreskin-like.

Better not put in orders for any other camera or maker either, because apparently they all have issues. Who knew?!

Your next camera purchase *is* fraught with potential danger. Beware!

Fujifilm cameras have had their share of QC problems (X100 sticky aperture blades and firmware, X10 blobs or sensors - a year plus on now - still without broad support from raw converters) or how about Nikon with many, not just one, D600's showing oil internal to the camera being sprayed on sensors. What does your all-seeing-eye tell you? Is the D800E truly safe? Can anyone be safe? Orange Alert! Orange Alert!

So far we've seen one report. If a dozen more pop up then there is a problem.

sroute Senior Member • Posts: 2,507

Thank you for the heads up. I'm purchasing mine from a full service shop; it'll be checked out before it heads out the door.

Hughesnet Senior Member • Posts: 1,026

Given the way that changes based on aperture you think that is on the sensor and not the lens?

Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
WCguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,097

dsm6 wrote:

Here's an example of some solid QC on a near 3K camera. Hopefully I got the bad apple and this isn't a widespread problem.

I think you got a bad one. If it were widespread we would have heard about it from all the reviewers who have had the camera and the the new owners.Too bad for it to happen at this point due to a most likely sold out first batch. Hope you are able to get a replacement right away.   WC

-- hide signature --

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon 1 V3 +37 more
Sean_Jayhawk
Sean_Jayhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,439

NeilJones wrote:

dsm6 wrote:

smallcams wrote:

Exactly, your intuition let you know that a random RX1 somewhere would have a defect on the sensor and that would spoil all the rest of them . . . sort of like the D600 you bought and returned because it was defective. And then the 2nd one you bought and returned because it was defective. Your intuition was enfuego with regard to the D600.

Sean_Jayhawk's gear list:Sean_Jayhawk's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more
jpatkinson
jpatkinson Regular Member • Posts: 410

dsm6 wrote:

That is EXACTLY what I saw on an RX100 I bought a few weeks ago. Nice.

jpatkinson's gear list:jpatkinson's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D5600 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +1 more
WCguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,097

NeilJones wrote:

dsm6 wrote:

smallcams wrote:

The reason you cancelled your order is because it is not for you.Why come in here with a silly attitude.You don't like it, and you haven't even tried it but thats ok, move on and stop being silly.Are you  trying to stir things up and hoping for some kind of mutual support?    WC

-- hide signature --

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon 1 V3 +37 more
asterox101 Regular Member • Posts: 230

ah he may have just been having a laugh. how i took it anyway.

oVan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,334

To me that doesn't look like the sensor, it is something in front. Maybe somewhere between the lens elements?

-- hide signature --

See my Instagram or Flickr stream - NEW: The RX1 Files

oVan's gear list:oVan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony RX1R +1 more
ijustloveshooting
ijustloveshooting Veteran Member • Posts: 3,001
Re: Holy RX1 Sensor Defect-correct approach

with D800, there was a misfocusing issues with left AF sensors,,,as long as mass production is involved, there'll be problems,,,

ijustloveshooting's gear list:ijustloveshooting's gear list
Fujifilm X-A1 Sony a7 II Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Sony E 10-18mm F4 OSS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +10 more
(unknown member) Forum Pro • Posts: 23,648
even then we dont know

sroute wrote:

So far we've seen one report. If a dozen more pop up then there is a problem.

we have seen simuliar things with the RX100, to me it looks like some particle ( plastic ) by the shape it has.

we had some reports on the RX100 ........but many more where just fine, so to me it actualy says nothing.

-- hide signature --

*All my Post Processing is done with Capture NX2*
Flickr Photo's
Galleries on DPR

Dave Lively Senior Member • Posts: 1,928

oVan wrote:

To me that doesn't look like the sensor, it is something in front. Maybe somewhere between the lens elements?

I have had dust get on sensors of cameras with interchangeable lenses and that is exactly what it looks like only not nearly as big. While interchangeable lenses makes it much more likely you will see dust at least you can blow the dust off or even wet clean them as required.

The sensor is not directly exposed to the air. There is a color filter and then a thick anti-aliasing filter. The dust is on the AA filter. The AA filter is thick enough that small dust particles are either invisible or appear as dark blobs instead of a sharply defined spot when the lens is wide open or moderately stopped down. I have read about cameras without AA filters still having a piece of glass the same thickness as a AA filter. They probably do so to make the dust that is a part of owning an interchangeable less noticeable.

If you want to go looking for things to worry about try taking a picture of the clear blue sky with your lens stopped down as far as it will go. If you look closely you are likely to see some dust. The OP has a camera with debris, not dust. I expect to see dust on cameras with interchangeable lens or lenses that expand and create a vacuum that sucks in dust. But I would expect a camera with a fixed lens that does not expand to have much less dust.

I hope the OP gets his camera replaced quickly.

I never look for dust until it causes a problem.  This is the biggest dust spec I have ever had.  It was big enough to be visible on the sensor and once I noticed it I saw it in a lot of pictures I had taken before I noticed it.

DFPanno
DFPanno Veteran Member • Posts: 5,550
I'm embarrased for SONY.....

I agree that the particle looks more like debris than dust.

There's one hundred and one ways to write off this incident but it is embarrasing to have a patent defect in a $3000.00 halo product.

Color me concerned.

oVan Veteran Member • Posts: 3,334
Re: I'm embarrased for SONY.....

DFPanno wrote:

I agree that the particle looks more like debris than dust.

There's one hundred and one ways to write off this incident but it is embarrasing to have a patent defect in a $3000.00 halo product.

Color me concerned.

Before you blame Sony, think what other causes are possible. High impact on the side of the lens, breaking something around the leaf shutter? Not saying this is the case here, but to say "embarrased for Sony" is a far stretch as it is.

-- hide signature --

See my Instagram or Flickr stream - NEW: The RX1 Files

oVan's gear list:oVan's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-V3 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-R1 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX5 Sony RX1R +1 more
DFPanno
DFPanno Veteran Member • Posts: 5,550
That's ridiculous....

It is a SONY product sold by SONY. Who would we turn to to understand the problem?

Jerry down the street?

If something "fell off" then the packaging is poor.

Don't feel compulsed to molly-coddle corporations. They are not your friends.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads