Upgrade CS6 question

Started Dec 3, 2012 | Discussions
Bob Altic Regular Member • Posts: 437
Upgrade CS6 question

Hi All,

This has probably been asked numerous times, but, I would like the groups current opinion concerning upgrading to CS6.  I currently have CS5 and if I understand correctly, I need to upgrade to CS6 by the end of the year or I will have a price increase.  I have heard that there were some bugs in CS6 and not to upgrade, keep using CS5, and wonder if Adobe has corrected them if they existed and the upgrade is worthwhile?  I use mainly LR4 but edit with Topaz DeNoise in CS5.  Many thanks in advance for the advice.  Best,  Bob:-)

hurtsme
hurtsme Senior Member • Posts: 1,994
Re: Upgrade CS6 question

Speaking from only my personal experience, the upgrade is very worthwhile.  There are fewer bugs that you might be led to believe on forums.  The are some operational shifts that you may have to learn-but these are evolutionary processes, not bugs. It is always funny how every time there is a Photoshop upgrade  (I have done them all since PS 4) that there are always grumbles about operation/price/bugs/doesn't do what I need, how I need it/poor design interface.

You can of course wait and see where everything ends up, which may cost you some $$$, or you can take the upgrade path and have a little patience and learn the new version a bit.  You might find it a rather nice place.  I know I have, but then I only use it about 8 hours a day, and teach it at the college level at night.  Others may have valid, differing opinions, but I really like most of what Adobe has put into CS6.  Would I make a few changes if I could?  I might-but I also might not!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kevin
--

hurtsme's gear list:hurtsme's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
LibbyS Regular Member • Posts: 386

So long as you have CS5 already, you are not facing a price increase after the end of the year. That price increase will apply only to those who are currently running CS3 or CS4. Adobe's policy of charging full price for an upgrade to those NOT owning the immediately previous version may or may not prove successful for them. (I think it's a poor choice on their part.) However, this should not be a concern for you.

As for having CS6, I'm very happy that I have upgraded.  They've done work "under the hood" that makes the program run more efficiently and more quickly.  An example which will show this off quickly is to check out how fast the results of the Liquify filter are applied compared to earlier versions.  They've also added a utility that allows merging of bracketed images in CS6's HDR Pro utility and then returning a 32-bit file to either Lightroom or Camera Raw for further processing.  This has worked well for me.

The only thing you might want to check on is whether or not your computer is up to the task.  A good video card and ample RAM are really a must.

Libby

JJMacks
JJMacks Forum Pro • Posts: 10,500

CS6 has some very worthwhile  improvements. If you shoot RAW the ACR improvement is worth the price of the upgrade alone.   Improvements in shape and video are also worthwile. If you use Photoshop extended I read its 3d support has major improvements.

CS6 is also the buggiest Photoshop version ever released.  When it was first shipped I found it to be unusable for what I used Photoshop to do.  I had to stop using it for me it was not usable.

The first update fix for CS6 fixed 56 core issues.  I still don't understand how that many  issues got out Adobe's door. There are still many issues that have not been fixed some are old and are also in CS4 and CS5 other are new.   You may never even run into any of them.  Like if there are bugs in CMYK support I will never run into for I don't do four color printing.

I create Action, Scripts and use features that may do not use. Adobe remove thing and add options that break thing Like Action, Scripts and Plug-ins Adobe does a very poor job doing regression testing.

There are option now in Photoshop that if use do more harm the good. For they change the basic behavior of Photoshop.  There is no way an Action can deal with Photoshop working differently depending on some option.  Actions should playback like they were recorded. Adobe added options in CS4 that can cause actions recorded with any release of Photoshop play differently then when they were recorded.

Adobe also added some additional bugs in CS6 that effect action.  If fact actions that use some forms of save for web recorded in prior releases of Photoshop will work in CS6 but record the same action in CS6 it will not work. Not all forms of save for web will fail.  The point is if a bug does not bite you it does not effect you.

-- hide signature --

JJMack

JJMacks's gear list:JJMacks's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
flint-hill Senior Member • Posts: 1,215

The increase in speed and better locality of reference in memory was worth it to me.  I have 4GB Core 2 duo Mac Mini that was really breathing hard under CS5 and is now quite adequate under CS6.

ed3052 Forum Member • Posts: 73

sounds like most everyone elsi thats want to upgrade more of a ocd problem - then a upgrade problem

I'm still on cs3 just down loaded cs6 for a 30 day free trial , tried it for 10 min  and i feel no need to upgrade.

LibbyS Regular Member • Posts: 386
Upgrade CS6 question

>>CS6 has some very worthwhile improvements. If you shoot RAW the ACR improvement is worth the price of the upgrade alone.

I agree with this wholeheartedly. I also agree that, if the bug doesn't bite you, there's no problem. I have not been plagued by bugs in CS6, fortunately.

My main point to the original poster was that he would not see an increase in the price of an upgrade after the first of the year, 2013.

Libby

JulesJ
JulesJ Forum Pro • Posts: 45,358

mpeman wrote:

Speaking from only my personal experience, the upgrade is very worthwhile. There are fewer bugs that you might be led to believe on forums. The are some operational shifts that you may have to learn-but these are evolutionary processes, not bugs. It is always funny how every time there is a Photoshop upgrade (I have done them all since PS 4) that there are always grumbles about operation/price/bugs/doesn't do what I need, how I need it/poor design interface.

You can of course wait and see where everything ends up, which may cost you some $$$, or you can take the upgrade path and have a little patience and learn the new version a bit. You might find it a rather nice place. I know I have, but then I only use it about 8 hours a day, and teach it at the college level at night. Others may have valid, differing opinions, but I really like most of what Adobe has put into CS6. Would I make a few changes if I could? I might-but I also might not!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kevin
--

Since each upgrade is only about two years apart, if you wait too long you are into the next version. Upgrade now if you value the best bit of software for photographers. I waited too long but now have ity and love it.

hurtsme
hurtsme Senior Member • Posts: 1,994

ed3052 wrote:

sounds like most everyone elsi thats want to upgrade more of a ocd problem - then a upgrade problem

I'm still on cs3 just down loaded cs6 for a 30 day free trial , tried it for 10 min and i feel no need to upgrade.

Not OCD, just keeping up with current abilities available in software.  Testing CS6 for 10 minutes is like dismissing the purchase of a new car based on it's looks.  There is no way that you could have tested or tried all of the differences between CS3 and CS6 in 10 minutes.  Now, if you tested just the one or two areas that you nedd then that might be a different story.

CS6 will be, however, your last chance for upgrade pricing from here on out on PS.  After he CS6 upgrade Adobe will only allow upgrading from the last version, so you might be costing yourself some $$ down the road.  But it's your call.  Sounds like you may not nee any of what Photoshop has to offer.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kevin
--

hurtsme's gear list:hurtsme's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Adobe Photoshop CS6 +3 more
OP Bob Altic Regular Member • Posts: 437

mpeman wrote:

Speaking from only my personal experience, the upgrade is very worthwhile. There are fewer bugs that you might be led to believe on forums. The are some operational shifts that you may have to learn-but these are evolutionary processes, not bugs. It is always funny how every time there is a Photoshop upgrade (I have done them all since PS 4) that there are always grumbles about operation/price/bugs/doesn't do what I need, how I need it/poor design interface.

You can of course wait and see where everything ends up, which may cost you some $$$, or you can take the upgrade path and have a little patience and learn the new version a bit. You might find it a rather nice place. I know I have, but then I only use it about 8 hours a day, and teach it at the college level at night. Others may have valid, differing opinions, but I really like most of what Adobe has put into CS6. Would I make a few changes if I could? I might-but I also might not!

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Kevin
--

Thanks Kevin,

I will do the upgrade and start the learning curve again.  Appreciate the comments....Best,  Bob

OP Bob Altic Regular Member • Posts: 437

Thanks to everyone for the comments.  I'll do the upgrade and look forward to the results.  Happy Holidays to everyone.  Best,  Bob

Cathymc New Member • Posts: 13

I too am a bit concerned about upgrading to Photoshop CS6.  I had a lot of compatibility problems with my software when I both updated to MAC Snow Leopard and CS5.  The problem was mainly with the drivers for the Epson 2880 printer.  It took me about two weeks to solve the problem, and I did so only after heeding the advice of a user here.  (Neither Apple, Epson, nor Adobe had a clue as to how to solve the problem.  Basically, all acknowledged the problem but each blamed the other.)

I have the same setup now.  (I skipped over MACS Lion OS, thinking I needed to wait a period to be sure that any incompatibilities were worked out with the Epson printer driver.  Then, much more quickly than I expected, Mountain Lion came along.)

As I said, I have basically the same setup I had a year and a half ago -- a Mac Pro with 8 gigs of memory; a pretty fast video card; tons of hard disk space; and the Epson 2880 printer.  Although I would be willing to upgrade both my MAC operating system and get Adobe CS6, I don't know if there are issues precluding such a move at the present time.  I am not all that adept with computers and just not sure what the safe course is.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cathymc

Cathymc's gear list:Cathymc's gear list
Nikon D600 Nikon D610
JulesJ

Cathymc wrote:

I too am a bit concerned about upgrading to Photoshop CS6. I had a lot of compatibility problems with my software when I both updated to MAC Snow Leopard and CS5. The problem was mainly with the drivers for the Epson 2880 printer. It took me about two weeks to solve the problem, and I did so only after heeding the advice of a user here. (Neither Apple, Epson, nor Adobe had a clue as to how to solve the problem. Basically, all acknowledged the problem but each blamed the other.)

I have the same setup now. (I skipped over MACS Lion OS, thinking I needed to wait a period to be sure that any incompatibilities were worked out with the Epson printer driver. Then, much more quickly than I expected, Mountain Lion came along.)

As I said, I have basically the same setup I had a year and a half ago -- a Mac Pro with 8 gigs of memory; a pretty fast video card; tons of hard disk space; and the Epson 2880 printer. Although I would be willing to upgrade both my MAC operating system and get Adobe CS6, I don't know if there are issues precluding such a move at the present time. I am not all that adept with computers and just not sure what the safe course is.

Any help or advice would be much appreciated.

Cathymc

A few years ago when I got my Epson 4800 I wad having printing problems. I was getting a band about one inch deep of slightly dark across my prints on A2paper about two inches from the bottom of the print. Epson were no help, nor Apple. My pro printer (as in a person) was getting the same problem in this 4800/Mac combo. We both swappefrot using the Mac for retouching and a dedicated PCfor printing, and I still do this today. It also allowed me to use the brilliant Qimage.

Jules

MichaelRose
MichaelRose Junior Member • Posts: 43

Bob Altic wrote:

Hi All,

This has probably been asked numerous times, but, I would like the groups current opinion concerning upgrading to CS6. I currently have CS5 and if I understand correctly, I need to upgrade to CS6 by the end of the year or I will have a price increase. I have heard that there were some bugs in CS6 and not to upgrade, keep using CS5, and wonder if Adobe has corrected them if they existed and the upgrade is worthwhile? I use mainly LR4 but edit with Topaz DeNoise in CS5. Many thanks in advance for the advice. Best, Bob:-)

Since you already have Lightroom 4  (LR) (Your should be on 4.3 RC 858820) going to CS6  (PS) and ACR 7.3 would give you complete integration in your workflow.
Like when you need to send a RAW file to CS6 for extra processing and then have it return to LR as a *.psd.
The Lightroom 4.3 RC Develop Module is/uses ACR 7.3 as is compatible with CS6.

There are numerous feature and performance enhancements and after the recent massive 'bug fix' update, CS6 Extended runs smoothly for me without any problems.

Even though I'm on a Dell Studio XPS 435T/9000 i7 Quad/8 cores @2.67 GH & Vista Ultimate x64 SP/2 with 12GBCS6 or CS6 Extended on Vista is not technically supported by Adobe !

I think its well worth the $200 to upgrade from CS5 to CS6, or you could even upgrade to CS6 Extended for $400, like I did if you want 3D capabilities, that's the only difference between the Standard and Extended versions.

Its not just the money you spend right now:

• After you get used to what you can do with LR, and that's a lot, and
  • You are more comfortable going to PS less, only
    creating *.psd files in PS when you do, and
  • Only creating *.tiff or *.jpg files for external printing
    you'll be amazed at how much time you'll save.

IHTH

MichaelRose's gear list:MichaelRose's gear list
Olympus E-30 Olympus E-M1 II
JJMacks
Jules printing on a 4800 from Photoshop not bad either.

I wrote a Photoshop script for printing image on my 4800 printers roll paper. The script fits image to a particular print image size more or less a center crop however image are just re-sized to fit and masked to the print size. So you can adjust any image's composition before clicking the print button. The script is designed to wast no paper. You wind up with prints and no paper scraps on the floor.

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/PasteImageRoll.html

The script is included in my Photo Collage Toolkit.... http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/PhotoCollageToolkit.html

Qimage layout is faster and can batch print jobs however I have forgotten how to use it.  I wanted to use Qimage to print poster using its feature that spread an image out over many sheets of paper but never did.

-- hide signature --

JJMack

Canon EOS-1D Mark II Canon EOS-1D Mark IV Canon EF 300mm f/2.8L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM +3 more
MikeFromMesa Senior Member • Posts: 2,849
What if you are using CS5 from LR4

JJMacks wrote:

CS6 has some very worthwhile improvements. If you shoot RAW the ACR improvement is worth the price of the upgrade alone.

Is the ACR change in CS6 any different from the ACR built into LR4?

For me, CS5 (which I currently have) is there only for those things I cannot do in LR4. For the most part there are not many, but I generally think of launching CS5 from LR4 and so the raw conversion has already been done and LR is only passing along a TIFF. Hence the first question - is the ACR in CS6 significantly better than that in LR4?

And the second question - Is CS6 better for those using LR4 for their main processing and (generally) only launching it as an outside editor for LR4?

JulesJ
Re: Jules printing on a 4800 from Photoshop not bad either.

JJMacks wrote:

I wrote a Photoshop script for printing image on my 4800 printers roll paper. The script fits image to a particular print image size more or less a center crop however image are just re-sized to fit and masked to the print size. So you can adjust any image's composition before clicking the print button. The script is designed to wast no paper. You wind up with prints and no paper scraps on the floor.

http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/PasteImageRoll.html

The script is included in my Photo Collage Toolkit.... http://www.mouseprints.net/old/dpr/PhotoCollageToolkit.html

Qimage layout is faster and can batch print jobs however I have forgotten how to use it. I wanted to use Qimage to print poster using its feature that spread an image out over many sheets of paper but never did.

-- hide signature --

JJMack

Sounds good JJ. I am inundated with printing at the moment so cant risk a change. Qimage seems to do everything I want.

MichaelRose wrote:

Since you already have Lightroom 4 (LR) (Your should be on 4.3 RC 858820) going to CS6 (PS) and ACR 7.3 would give you complete integration in your workflow.
Like when you need to send a RAW file to CS6 for extra processing and then have it return to LR as a *.psd.
The Lightroom 4.3 RC Develop Module is/uses ACR 7.3 as is compatible with CS6.

I thought LR always used TIFFs when calling a defined extenal editor. Are you saying that LR4 will use RAW images if a call is made to CS6? Then how can it include any changes made in LR before the call? Surely it does not try to mimic all of the available raw formats, does it? Or perhaps I misunderstood what you were saying?

A second question - how does the ACR in CS6 compare to the (internal) ACR for LR4? Are they the same? Or is one better or more flexible than the others? And, if so, which one?

I had not thought to upgrade from CS5 to CS6 because I use PS so rarely. LR serves for about 98% of my processing and I only need PS for those kind of things that cannot be done in LR - layers, image distortion and other rarely used functionality. I had planned to continue to use CS5 for that but, if CS6 is that much better than CS5, perhaps I should reconsider ...

JJMacks
Re: What if you are using CS5 from LR4

For me LR $300 cost was too much just for its superior image organizational library that I have no need of.  I don't have any desire for a second interface over  Adobe's RAW conversion engine so I would not use its develop module.  LR is not an image editor has no layer support at all.

I have only used lightroom beta releases which gave me problems and didn't impress me.  For it didn't have any feature I had a need for that wasn't in Photoshop and Photoshop has so much more Photoshop should for its $700 price tag.

If I wanted to give Adobe $300 more I would consider Photoshop extended before Lightroom. I know may prefer using LR for RAW conversion.  They also mainly want to do RAW conversion without any real image manipulation. Shoot develop print.

-- hide signature --

JJMack

Re: What if you are using CS5 from LR4

JJMacks wrote:

For me LR $300 cost was too much just for its superior image organizational library that I have no need of. I don't have any desire for a second interface over Adobe's RAW conversion engine so I would not use its develop module. LR is not an image editor has no layer support at all.

I have only used lightroom beta releases which gave me problems and didn't impress me. For it didn't have any feature I had a need for that wasn't in Photoshop and Photoshop has so much more Photoshop should for its $700 price tag.

If I wanted to give Adobe $300 more I would consider Photoshop extended before Lightroom. I know may prefer using LR for RAW conversion. They also mainly want to do RAW conversion without any real image manipulation. Shoot develop print.

Fair enough. It all depends upon what you need or want to do in processing your images.

Typically I only find the need for LR's Basic (WB, exposure, highlights, shadows, white and black point, clarity, etc), HSL, Color, Detail (sharpening and NR), Lens Calibration functionality and some basic masking and/or Heal/Clone and cropping.

Looking at this list after I entered it, it does not seem like such a small set of functionality. I don't actually even use the DAM functionality built into LR at all and I have not had any use for most of the modules. They could strip out the Book, Print and Web modules and I would say "well done".

As you say there is some PS functionality that is not available in LR. Layers, image transform functionality, HDR, panos and the like. In general I either use PS for these or I use some very nice specialty applications (Layers - PerfectMask, HDR - SNS-HDR, panos - Panorama Studio, and so on). I guess I find LR sufficient for most of my needs and I find the interface and the way I am forced to work with PS time-consuming. I can do my "work" (I enjoy it too much to really consider it work) in a more relaxed way and in a more comfortable work-flow. But I understand that all of the LR functionality is also in Photoshop and, if you deal comfortably with the PS UI, then there is no need to use LR.

LR costs have come down and new releases are available at about half the cost you mentioned. I bought LR3 on a further sale and felt it was a very reasonable cost. But, of course, if you don't use it, it is wasted money no matter how inexpensive.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads