Nex-7 with sel 16mm and UWA

Started Dec 2, 2012 | Discussions
Pentaxdan1985 Regular Member • Posts: 111
Nex-7 with sel 16mm and UWA

These are a couple of shots I took using my nex 7 with 16mm and uwa.  I am very pleased with how they came out, and will be adding them to a collection of mine titled "Left for Dead".  A series of photographs depicting our old autos thrown to the side for mother nature to reclaim.

Thanks for looking.

Sony Alpha NEX-7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
OP Pentaxdan1985 Regular Member • Posts: 111
I guess no one cares to comment :/

I don't mean to complain, however, I'm a little disappointed.  Most of my threads go by with maybe one or two replies, but this one was just pushed to the second page without even a slight reply.  I thought they turned out really good, and that some of you might appreciate some good examples of the Nex-7 with 16mm and UWA.  Its seems like no one really cares about photos on this site.  The only threads that ever get comments are who's camera is better or the same redundant questions about lenses.  I fill that this forum has lost the essence of what a camera is all about.  It seems the only way some one can get into a good conversation is to bash something or proclaim they and their equipment is the best.

oowtfmang Regular Member • Posts: 118
Re: I guess no one cares to comment :/

You shouldn't need an ego booster from others to be proud of your pictures. Just because nobody commented doesn't mean nobody appreciated your pictures. Take a breather and chill out.

Well, as photographers we all have egos (true some more than others), and I think we all want our work to be viewed and in some cases to even be commented on.  I don't really have anyone in my personal life to show my work to, so it is very difficult for me to receive any feedback.  Perhaps I should just chill out, but after several threads without many comments and with this one not getting any (except for comments on my complaining) it was difficult for me to remain silent.  Besides, I am confident in many areas of my life and I am a happy positive person. Sometimes though, I get discouraged about photography.  I have been trying to learn and get better for a few years now, yet I can't help but think I'm the only one who cares.

rogatsby
rogatsby Regular Member • Posts: 471

Pentaxdan1985 wrote:

Well, as photographers we all have egos (true some more than others), and I think we all want our work to be viewed and in some cases to even be commented on. I don't really have anyone in my personal life to show my work to, so it is very difficult for me to receive any feedback. Perhaps I should just chill out, but after several threads without many comments and with this one not getting any (except for comments on my complaining) it was difficult for me to remain silent. Besides, I am confident in many areas of my life and I am a happy positive person. Sometimes though, I get discouraged about photography. I have been trying to learn and get better for a few years now, yet I can't help but think I'm the only one who cares.

I like these shots. They have a dark aspect to them, and sort of remind me of scenes from the Texas Chainsaw Massacre :D. In that regard, I think maybe a black and white rendition may be more effective.

rogatsby's gear list:rogatsby's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony a6000 Sony E 50mm F1.8 OSS Sony E 55-210mm F4.5-6.3 OSS Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN +3 more

Thank you for the comment.  These and the others in the set do tend to have a bit of a dark mood about them.  Good toned black and whites are one of the biggest areas I struggle with.  However, due to the fact that these are part of a larger set I am working on they need to remain in color.  Thank you very much for the suggestion though.

seany Regular Member • Posts: 421
-- hide signature --

This as you probably know is mainly a gear forum,not really the place to come for photo critique,having said that I like both photos but am interested to know why you chose to shoot with a wideangle lens rather than a 35mm or 50mm,

The other question I have is how have you found the 16mm with the Nex 7 as I've been thinking about getting one but they don't appear to be highly thought of ?
seany

lol, very funny seany

tri x
tri x Contributing Member • Posts: 718
Re: Nex-7 with sel 16mm and UWA

Hi Pentax, Well I like your pictures. I like the subject matter and I like the wide angle too.

You may have posted just at the wrong time or, as I know what you mean,  some people can be so absorbed in technical/gear issues that thats all they can talk about.  Its the picture that should stir your emotions not the camera.  I have many pictures posted on flickr in a particular group.  I have only received one comment along side others that get more than a hundred. Side by side there are not much aesthetically different, in my opinion.  It can make you think negatively. But don't, please.

Just keep on taking shots like these and keep posting.

Cheers John

tri x's gear list:tri x's gear list
Sony Alpha a7R III Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +3 more

Pentaxdan1985 wrote:

lol, very funny seany

Don't know what happened there my comments seem to have got lost ?

I like both pictures and wondered why you chose a wideangle to shoot them,also am curious to learn what you think of the 16mm as I'm looking to get one but am undecided as they get poor reviews.

-- hide signature --

seany

Thanks for the encouragement tri x, I think thats what I really needed.  Its nice to know there is someone who understands where I am coming from.

Ahh, I see (I thought the blank comment was a quip at the title of no comments lol).  The reason why I chose the wide angle was so that I could get close and feel the energy of my subject but at the same time still keep a since of setting and environment.  Also, I haven't had the UWA for very long so it is still new and fun.  I tried taking some shots of the car using the sel 50, but it didn't give me what I wanted for composition.

I know the 16mm isnt thought of as being very good, however, if kept at f8 it will give good results.  I wouldn't expect to much from it wide open indoors.  And it does seem to perform a little better with the wide angle adapter.  I have a 24x36 inch print in my living room that looks amazing that I took with the 16mm and original nex-5.

Pentaxdan1985 wrote:

Ahh, I see (I thought the blank comment was a quip at the title of no comments lol). The reason why I chose the wide angle was so that I could get close and feel the energy of my subject but at the same time still keep a since of setting and environment. Also, I haven't had the UWA for very long so it is still new and fun. I tried taking some shots of the car using the sel 50, but it didn't give me what I wanted for composition.

I know the 16mm isnt thought of as being very good, however, if kept at f8 it will give good results. I wouldn't expect to much from it wide open indoors. And it does seem to perform a little better with the wide angle adapter. I have a 24x36 inch print in my living room that looks amazing that I took with the 16mm and original nex-5.

Cheers that's good to hear.

-- hide signature --

seany

Caris Regular Member • Posts: 319

Your photos are great, fantastic colours and you managed to capture a kind of old fashioned nostalgic atmosphere.

Don't worry about the lack of comments - most people here are so hooked on pixel peeping and dissecting technical specifications of cameras and lenses that they fail to notice how good some photos are.

I was thinking of getting a 16mm with UWA, but it has received so much criticism that I have not bought one yet. Yet your photos prove it's quite capable and sharp.

capt bob
capt bob Senior Member • Posts: 2,622

I like your shots , I am still a learning so I love it when folks post up and I can hear peoples comments then go back and look some more it has helped me understand a lot more i have to google some things just to know at first but try and absorb what i am seeing and hearing , I just received my 16 mm with WAA today and cant wait to get to the Bay where i feel comfortable and try it out , I don't post up my shots much anymore for the same reason I figure I just am not good enough to get a comment so other than the one shot I posted in an already open post I just keep em on my hard drive and keep looking and learning , I enjoy the Technical/Technical side that is more my skill set I figure, No comment means I am still Green.

I like what you said feel the energy of the shot , I would be figuring out how to get the old truck running , I need stuff like this.

Thanks....

capt bob's gear list:capt bob's gear list
Sony a77 II Sony Alpha a7 II Sony a99 II Sony E 16mm F2.8 Pancake Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +27 more

Thank you for the kind comments.  The 16mm is indeed capable of good results if it is kept in its comfort zone.  Other than the very rare exception I do not pull the lens out unless I am prepared to shoot at f8.

Thanks for the comments.  It can be difficult, but when I can feel the energy in my subject I think I capture my best images.

If it was my truck I would love to get her going, I think those old chevys are some of the best looking trucks ever made.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads