I cancelled my RX1 pre-order!

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions
MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,819
Re: I cancelled my RX1 pre-order!

SonyRX1 wrote:

Well thats a shame, I've had the most fun the past 2 weeks with the RX1 than any other camera I have ever owned.

I do not think it is overpriced btw, what makes you think this? The lens alone is worth $1000-$1500.

Based on the Ziess name? its only one source but to be honiest the lens looks dreadful in the DPR samples, outside of the middle of the frame its very soft indeed.

WCguy Senior Member • Posts: 1,097

MoreorLess wrote:

SonyRX1 wrote:

Well thats a shame, I've had the most fun the past 2 weeks with the RX1 than any other camera I have ever owned.

I do not think it is overpriced btw, what makes you think this? The lens alone is worth $1000-$1500.

Based on the Ziess name? its only one source but to be honiest the lens looks dreadful in the DPR samples, outside of the middle of the frame its very soft indeed.

Check these out http://www.flickr.com/photos/aztore/8220891600/in/photostream/

-- hide signature --

It's What You Learn After You Know It All That Counts !

WCguy's gear list:WCguy's gear list
Sony RX1 Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 AW1 Fujifilm X-T1 Nikon 1 V3 +37 more
sroute Senior Member • Posts: 2,507

MoreorLess wrote:
its only one source but to be honiest the lens looks dreadful in the DPR samples, outside of the middle of the frame its very soft indeed.

I've seen so many shots done at f/2 - f/4 and very few images with a planar subject across the frame and a suitable aperture. Honestly, I'm not sure we can pass judgement.

Here's a shot taken this week by a photographer in France that had 10 minutes with the camera. Unfortunately a full resolution file isn't published, but even on this I can make out anti-bird fixtures along the wall right to the edge.

Building - philberphoto | Source: New and Exciting RX1 Part 2

As the author says in his article, that's a seriously good result for a quick test shot in harsh lighting.

Now if only those who already have the camera would stop shooting everything at f/2 ...

tesilab
tesilab Veteran Member • Posts: 3,004
They can't help f/2

sroute wrote:

Now if only those who already have the camera would stop shooting everything at f/2 ...

For the simple reason that those moving up from APS/C largely distinguish between FF and APS/C by either higher ISO, shallower DOF, or both. They do it because they can.

tesilab's gear list:tesilab's gear list
Sony RX1R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a7 III Panasonic Leica Summilux DG 25mm F1.4 Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +1 more
Sean_Jayhawk
Sean_Jayhawk Veteran Member • Posts: 7,439
Re: They can't help f/2

tesilab wrote:

sroute wrote:

For the simple reason that those moving up from APS/C largely distinguish between FF and APS/C by either higher ISO, shallower DOF, or both. They do it because they can.

I suspect my first 150,000 photos will be wide open or close to it (kidding . . . sort of). But yeah, I strive to get the creamy bokeh that are in many of Steve Huff's sample photos. I plan to compare the RX1 to my NEX 5N and Zeiss 24, so I will be pushing the limits for a bunch of my reviews shots. I'll still shoot some f/5.6 and f/8 comparison shots, but those just don't interest me as much.

Sean_Jayhawk's gear list:Sean_Jayhawk's gear list
Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more
Hughesnet Senior Member • Posts: 1,026

FramerDave wrote:

I hate changing lenses so I gave the RX1 a serious look. After travelling with my RX100 I then realize I would wait and see if there will be a RX2 with say 24-70f2.8 Zeiss. (FF RX100 would be ideal but that will be too big) I do have the Nex-7 and 24Zeiss combo and found that quite good and I do have other Nex lenses and I enjoy the flexibility.

I am not however waiting for the FF Nex because I refuse to invest in yet a third system. (I have Alpha cameras and lenses also.) I think there will be much delay for the FF Nex because Sony has to figure out how to do mirrorless FF with existing Alpha FF lenses. They already have trouble cranking out 2 lines of lenses let alone a third one.

I have seen people say something similar to this. that they want to wait to see the same camera with a zoom. Or that they want to wait and see the same camera with interchangeable lenses. I have to say that I do not think either will happen. Both go against what this spirit of this particular camera is to me. At the very least I do not think either option would be attractive at the price point it would likely hold for the IQ it would have.

One of the main attractive things for me about this camera is just how the lens is married with the sensor and the entire camera is designed to just give the best possible IQ of the combo. that just won't be possible or near the same if they turned this into an interchangeable platform. So even if they made it happen I am not sure I would be interested. In the same vein if it had a built in zoom you would have to take the compromises that a zoom would carry with it. And the IQ would never be as good as what you could get with a prime. I honestly do not see the point of a standard zoom given that 24mm - 85mm are nothing much more then a couple steps forward or back. Not given the quality you can bring to the table with a prime. If you DID get a zoom it won't be on par with the Zeiss...

Those are my thoughts, and why I like it the way it is and don't really understand why people want a zoom or interchangeable lens option. A new lens mount lineup to make? Ug... Focus micro adjustments again? Hell no.

Hughesnet's gear list:Hughesnet's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
earful Senior Member • Posts: 1,170

unless you have a stellar lens - and it's not that easy or cheap to manufacture a stellar zoom lens - you might as well just crop, though if you're planning on printing large, that could be a problem. i cropped a photo taken in contrasting bright sunlight and shadow of a walking bird and was truly amazed to find that my little rx100 had managed to find the bird's eye and bring it into sharp focus. if the rx1 does the same, it's going to be stellar.

MoreorLess Veteran Member • Posts: 4,819

sean lancaster wrote:

Hughesnet wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

I decided after much research and comparing of different camera's, the RX1 is simply overpriced and I refuse to get sucked into Sonys hype game.

I will await the full frame NEX line that will be out next year for $1700 range.

I placed a pre-order myself and disagree that the camera is over priced. I think it is expensive. But not over priced. Some people can't tell the difference. My photography needs are pretty simple. I like indoor family shots of my 3 kids, for which this is a great focal length and F stop. I like Landscapes for which this is a perfectly usable focal length. I have some interest in casual macro which this can perform. I very seldom really need a zoom and if I do I have no problem reaching for a different camera. But when out with my family, taking a landscape shot, or taking a picture of anything in my immediate vicinity this IMHO is THE camera to have. If you can afford it.

My alternative to the RX1 is the Canon 5D Mark III with the 35/1.4 L lens. I would probably add the 50/1.2 lens at some point, but that's all I'd want and the RX1 is WAY cheaper than the Canon 5D Mark III with the 35/1.4 lens combo. Way cheaper. Sure, I can add more lenses to the 5D, but the lenses that do that sensor justice and play to the type of shots I want to take are very expensive. I'd rather keep my 5N and 2 or 3 lenses for when I feel like a change or have a specific need the RX1 doesn't cover. I think the RX1 is a pretty cheap upgrade to FF by comparison. Even the cheaper Nikon D600 with a fast 35 is going to cost much more than the RX1.

From amazon...

RX 1 - $2800

D600 + Sigma 35mm 1.4 - $2900

Then your potentially looking at several hundred more for a EVF/OVF + hood for the RX1.

Add to that of course you get a lens thats a full stop faster than the RX1 and it doesnt look like great value to me.

Sean_Jayhawk

MoreorLess wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

Hughesnet wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

I decided after much research and comparing of different camera's, the RX1 is simply overpriced and I refuse to get sucked into Sonys hype game.

I will await the full frame NEX line that will be out next year for $1700 range.

I placed a pre-order myself and disagree that the camera is over priced. I think it is expensive. But not over priced. Some people can't tell the difference. My photography needs are pretty simple. I like indoor family shots of my 3 kids, for which this is a great focal length and F stop. I like Landscapes for which this is a perfectly usable focal length. I have some interest in casual macro which this can perform. I very seldom really need a zoom and if I do I have no problem reaching for a different camera. But when out with my family, taking a landscape shot, or taking a picture of anything in my immediate vicinity this IMHO is THE camera to have. If you can afford it.

My alternative to the RX1 is the Canon 5D Mark III with the 35/1.4 L lens. I would probably add the 50/1.2 lens at some point, but that's all I'd want and the RX1 is WAY cheaper than the Canon 5D Mark III with the 35/1.4 lens combo. Way cheaper. Sure, I can add more lenses to the 5D, but the lenses that do that sensor justice and play to the type of shots I want to take are very expensive. I'd rather keep my 5N and 2 or 3 lenses for when I feel like a change or have a specific need the RX1 doesn't cover. I think the RX1 is a pretty cheap upgrade to FF by comparison. Even the cheaper Nikon D600 with a fast 35 is going to cost much more than the RX1.

From amazon...

RX 1 - $2800

Then your potentially looking at several hundred more for a EVF/OVF + hood for the RX1.

Add to that of course you get a lens thats a full stop faster than the RX1 and it doesnt look like great value to me.

I tried a D600 at the camera store. I didn't like it. I didn't like that I couldn't hit a button to review my shots at 100% and instead had to hit it multiple times. I do this often to check focus. I hated Live View on the D600 as well (and no aperture control in Live View - WTH? - I prefer LCDs to VFs). Add the oily/dirty sensor and I had the D600 ruled out months ago. When I say my alternative is the 5DIII it's because I've ruled out other FF models.

Sony a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 Rokinon 135mm F2.0 +4 more

sean lancaster wrote:

MoreorLess wrote:

sean lancaster wrote:

Hughesnet wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

From amazon...

RX 1 - $2800

Then your potentially looking at several hundred more for a EVF/OVF + hood for the RX1.

I tried a D600 at the camera store. I didn't like it. I didn't like that I couldn't hit a button to review my shots at 100% and instead had to hit it multiple times. I do this often to check focus. I hated Live View on the D600 as well (and no aperture control in Live View - WTH? - I prefer LCDs to VFs). Add the oily/dirty sensor and I had the D600 ruled out months ago. When I say my alternative is the 5DIII it's because I've ruled out other FF models.

The D600 is very uncomfortable to hold for me. Feels to large and I have large hands. The fact that you are comparing a Zeiss 35 f2 lens to the sigma 35 1.4 and calling the Sigma as better just due to the 1.4 is laughable to me. Part of what people are paying for in the premium for this camera is the IQ and your choice of that lens will just be compromising on that front. The hood doesn't have to be the expensive Sony hood.

Sony SLT-A77 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM +1 more
Sean_Jayhawk

I suspect you meant to respond to MoreorLess and not to me.

sean lancaster wrote:

I suspect you meant to respond to MoreorLess and not to me.

I was trying to keep it linear. But yes I was talking to him

RC Regular Member • Posts: 386
Me too

NeilJones wrote:

I cancelled my order too but I will re-consider after the first extensive review.

The reason for cancellation? Operational and focusing speed, both don't convince me.

I expected to get DSLR performance (speed) in a small package but even if the IQ may be great, I won't compromise on speed.

Re: Me too

RC wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

I cancelled my order too but I will re-consider after the first extensive review.

The reason for cancellation? Operational and focusing speed, both don't convince me.

I expected to get DSLR performance (speed) in a small package but even if the IQ may be great, I won't compromise on speed.

Have you seen Steve Huff's review? It seems pretty extensive. I only ask since you said you were interested in one. Some find his enthusiasm to be off putting so you may be looking for a second opinion.

I don't think you will find the speed (in regards to AF) of a DSLR though. Have to remember that DSLRs almost all use PD-AF and the RX1 has CD-AF. It is still reported to focus quite well. but yeah, it won't match the speed, especially in low light, of PD-AF. That said, Steve mentioned that he thinks it focuses between a Nex 6 and a Olympus OMD. Which to me is pretty darn good for CD-AF.

barjohn
barjohn Senior Member • Posts: 1,197

Those concerned about lens sharpness, here is a comparison between the RX1 and the Leica M9 with 50mm Sumilux in the corners and center.

Top Left Corner

Bottom Left Corner

Center

-- hide signature --

John
Visit my web gallery at:
www.barjohn.com/My Photographs/index.html
Comments and critiques welcome.

barjohn's gear list:barjohn's gear list
Fujifilm X-T20

The Leica is damn good. But like what I see in the RX1 for the price difference

sroute Senior Member • Posts: 2,507

I've looked at so many Imaging-Resource.com test targets for resolution and noise that my eyes are going cross-eyed. I've compared the RX1 to Leica M9, Fujifilm X100 and X-Pro 1, Nikon D600 and D800, a Canon or two, a Pentax K5 and and a few others I can't remember. The camera/lens combo holds up extremely well to tough competition as far as I am concerned.

The Leica M9 with a 50mm Summilux had better be good and not just because both new would have cost the buyer $11,000 before the September new product announcements... now maybe ~9K.

The main reason the M9 with a 50mm Summilux has to be above reproach in comparison because it's much easier to design for a given cost a very high quality fast 50mm than it is to produce the same at the 35mm focal length, and this is reflected in the cost. The 35mm f/1.4 Summilux will cost you another grand ($5,000), and you will have a hard time finding one new right now. Maybe next spring if they are not already all spoken for. The 35/2 Summicron is a paltry $3,200 and can be found in-stock today. Or a Zeiss ZM 35/2, a terrific lens, can be had for $1,100, in-stock.

All of these lenses and cameras, including the RX1, can deliver stunningly good results but they all have their own character. Some prefer the ZM35/2 even if they can afford the 35 Summicron and vice versa. The RX1 35/2 has its own look too. Bonus, it has a camera attached to the back!

Docno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,874

NeilJones wrote:

So what got you to change your mind?

-- hide signature --

NEX-7, Sony a900; SEL18-200mm, CZ135mm, CZ24-70mm, SAL70-300mmG, 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8 macro, KM17-35mm, CZ16-80mm, KM11-18mm, SAL18-250mm
http://lh5.google.com.au/glennjude/Rsa2wUQ1RxI/AAAAAAAAA-g/TjvlEY5BpIA/s400/Pano%20-%20Glaciers%20and%20Temple.jpg

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +6 more
NeilJones
OP NeilJones Veteran Member • Posts: 5,455

Docno wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

Jesus.

-- hide signature --

NEX-7, Sony a900; SEL18-200mm, CZ135mm, CZ24-70mm, SAL70-300mmG, 50mm F1.4, 100mm F2.8 macro, KM17-35mm, CZ16-80mm, KM11-18mm, SAL18-250mm
http://lh5.google.com.au/glennjude/Rsa2wUQ1RxI/AAAAAAAAA-g/TjvlEY5BpIA/s400/Pano%20-%20Glaciers%20and%20Temple.jpg

-- hide signature --

All my cool stuff:
Nikon D600 (many lenses) Sigma DP1 Merrill, Sony Nex6 with CZ 24mm lens, Sony HX30v, GoPro Hero3 Black Addition, Parrot A.R. Drone with HD camera and iPhone 5. Oh, and a spanky brand new Sony RX!

Docno Veteran Member • Posts: 4,874

NeilJones wrote:

Docno wrote:

NeilJones wrote:

Jesus.

Can't be. I've been told he's only into Canon... perhaps you're just hearing voices.

-- hide signature --

Docno's gear list:Docno's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony RX100 IV Sony a7R II Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G SSM Sony 135mm F1.8 ZA Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads