David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions
jcharity Regular Member • Posts: 490
David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography

Shipped today from Amazon. I will receive it Monday.

jcharity's gear list:jcharity's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P610
Olympus OM-D E-M5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
MaxB1 Contributing Member • Posts: 899
On my iPad for the past week . .

(Ain't science GRAND !!)

Smiles . .

-- hide signature --
 MaxB1's gear list:MaxB1's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +8 more
D Lynch Senior Member • Posts: 2,997
Re: On my iPad for the past week . .

I would appreciate help. I looked, but couldn't find it to buy it.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

D Lynch's gear list:D Lynch's gear list
Sony Cyber-shot DSC-F828 Sony RX100 II Nikon D300S Sony a6000
BingoCharlie Contributing Member • Posts: 849

D Lynch wrote:

I would appreciate help. I looked, but couldn't find it to buy it.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

http://www.amazon.com/David-Buschs-Olympus-Digital-Photography/dp/1285429966/

I hope the book is more accurate than its Amazon description.

"The Olympus OM-D E-M5 is one of the most versatile interchangeable lens cameras on the market. It boasts 12 megapixels of resolution."

Uh, um, er....

FrankParis Senior Member • Posts: 1,042

BingoCharlie wrote:

I hope the book is more accurate than its Amazon description.

Don't worry. On page xiv in the Introduction, it gets it right.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Mike_PEAT Forum Pro • Posts: 13,163
Nope, still ain't available at iBooks Canada!

Although there was a German book about tHe OM-D...probably because I have the German keyboard loaded as well so I get some German items listed as well.

nxp3 Regular Member • Posts: 365
Re: David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography

glance at the table of contents...first 5 chapter is in the manual already.  don't think you'll learn much more than you already with the manual.

-- hide signature --

-bokehmokehshmokeh-

Corkcampbell
Corkcampbell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,533
Me too, since the day it became available. Really wanted a Kindle version, though. (nt)

no text

Corkcampbell's gear list:Corkcampbell's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony RX100 III Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH4 +5 more
jsmiller Contributing Member • Posts: 825
Re: On my iPad for the past week . .How?

MaxB1 wrote:

(Ain't science GRAND !!)

Smiles . .

-- hide signature --

Where did you find an ebook version of this book? Amazon, at least Amazon USA, only lists a paperback copy.

Joe

jsmiller's gear list:jsmiller's gear list
Canon PowerShot ELPH 360 HS
El Chubasco
El Chubasco Contributing Member • Posts: 681

You can find Digital version for iPad in apple bookstore. I got mine and will dive in this weekend.

El Chubasco's gear list:El Chubasco's gear list
Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Apple Aperture +16 more

Joe, I used "iTunes" to find and install this on my iPad.

-- hide signature --
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 7-14mm 1:4.0 Olympus Zuiko Digital 1.4x Teleconverter EC-14 +8 more

See my response below.

-- hide signature --
SkiHound Veteran Member • Posts: 3,119
Re: David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography

I bought the iBooks version. Not much beyond a bit more user friendly manual. Really no in-depth discussion of a lot of features. I was disappointed. May be worthwhile if you're really struggling getting through the menus but... Some of the set up guides available free online are much more helpful.

Re: On my iPad for the past week . .Thanks

I'll figure that out...some days I feel so technically challenged. I have tried wirelessly; do I need to link to my computer first?

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

Ron Stein Forum Member • Posts: 64
Re: On my iPad for the past week . .Thanks

Dave,

I also live in Canada (Toronto) and tried to order this book in iTunes.  In iTunes when logged into your Apple ID, iTunes knows you are in Canada (& not US).  This book is NOT available in Canada, but IS available in the US as long as your Apple ID is registered in the US. The bottom line is that your iPad or iPhone can only have ONE Apple account and if it is registered in Canada, you cannot buy anything from the US iTunes store.

David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography Amazon Canada

No stock.

Can't order from iBooks inCanada either.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

FrankParis Senior Member • Posts: 1,042
An evaluation of the book

I received my hard copy yesterday. As soon as I opened it, the first 12 physical pages fell out of the binding, and I'm totally anal about treating my books like gold. I'll have to use Amazon's generous policy to exchange it. But I'm going to wait to the limit (30 days I believe) because hopefully by then the publisher will have received a lot of complaints and they'll improve the binding. Besides, I've waited so long for this book I don't want to toss it back at Amazon before I've read the whole thing.

As for the contents itself, it's the kind of documentation that I find extremely helpful. This means it is often repetitive, so you don't have to keep flipping back and forth. The exposition is also hierarchical, which also helps, if you're the type who likes to read from cover to cover.

However, I'm finding numerous mistakes. Sometimes the same bullet list documents the same feature several bullets apart, and the two bullets contradict each other! Also, the coloring of the symbols and text in the OLED as described in the text does not match the coloring either in my own OLED or the photographs in the book! So a second edition is going to be badly needed.

In spite of all this, I'm learning a lot. I couldn't stand the documentation that came with the camera, either the hard copy or the PDF on the disk. Figured out most of what I do know (before getting the book) from pressing buttons at random and the Busch book is showing me how inadequate trying to learn this camera is on your own. At least for me.

-- hide signature --

Frank Paris

FrankParis's gear list:FrankParis's gear list
Olympus PEN E-PM1 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75-300mm 1:4.8-6.7 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +8 more
Dr Hal Senior Member • Posts: 1,232
Re: On a scale of 1 to 10 it gets a 6.5

I received the book on Tuesday from Amazon USA.  It is far superior to the abysmal manual but is somewhat of a disappointment.  For as large of a book as it is, is says little.  In the past, I have used the magic lantern series for my for my DSLR's.  They are better written and more informative.  I have Scott Kelby's book on Lightroom 4 and it is just so much better that maybe it has spoiled me.  I would buy this book again as it has helped me but it left me with many unanswered questions.  I am a newby to the world of Olympus and have used Panasonic before this and they had much better menu systems.

I guess that I will have to ask questions in this forum.  So far, I love the OMD.

Hal
"

Dr Hal's gear list:Dr Hal's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm F1.7 ASPH +2 more
DavidHH Regular Member • Posts: 206
Re: David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography Amazon Canada

D Lynch wrote:

No stock.

Can't order from iBooks inCanada either.

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

I hope we can get it soon here in Canada.

-- hide signature --

DavidHH

DavidHH's gear list:DavidHH's gear list
Sony RX100 II Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 R Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 12-50mm 1:3.5-6.3 EZ Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm 1:1.8
No for Canadian Buyers...David Busch's Olympus OM-D E-M5 Guide to Digital Photography

My confirmed order is still pending...no stock.

iBooks? No listing in Canada

Kindle? ?

I suspect this is the book  vendor's choice....but it's frustrating. I would settle for an e-book (but iBook has no listing.)

-- hide signature --

DaveL
Toronto

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads