Nikon 14-24 refresh?

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions
john barlow Regular Member • Posts: 229
Nikon 14-24 refresh?

I have been selected by NPS to give my views on the 14-24. Apparently by random selection.

This may indicate a refresh is on the cards.........

These were my recommendations:

Extend the range to 12-24

Improve the T stop

Improve the flare

Add a chip for in body distortion correction

Reilly Diefenbach
Reilly Diefenbach Forum Pro • Posts: 12,332
Re: Nikon 14-24 refresh?

I just bought one, so I hope it doesn't come out too soon :^)  The flare you're probably not going to able to do anything about because of the bulbous front element, but it woud be nice. The lens is fabuous in shade, almost unusable with the sun in or near the frame. I would far rather have a much cheaper and smaller FX f3.5 like the DX 10-24, which is completely flare free, but everyone keeps clamoring for f stops.

Reilly Diefenbach's gear list:Reilly Diefenbach's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Theodoros Fotometria Senior Member • Posts: 2,090

john barlow wrote:

I have been selected by NPS to give my views on the 14-24. Apparently by random selection.

Improve the T stop

Improve the flare

My recommendation to them would be to redesign the 14mm f2.8 and 20mm f2.8 in MF editions with real DOF scales on them and infinity lock, apply nano to reduce flare further (it's miles better that the stupid zoom anyway) and redesign  the hoods on both...  CPU so that there would be no need to access non-cpu data would be nice too... If they would then add some more new AI-S with CPU... 24mm f2, 28mm f1.8 & 35mm f1.7... that would be a dream..!  As for the zoom...  I wouldn't care much! ...Sold it 6 months ago and never looked back!

Theodoros
http://www.fotometria.gr
http://www.fotometriawedding.gr

Reilly Diefenbach

My recommendation to them would be to redesign the 14mm f2.8 and 20mm f2.8 in MF editions with real DOF scales on them and infinity lock, apply nano to reduce flare further (it's miles better that the stupid zoom anyway)

You've got to be kidding!  The 14 is junk!

and redesign the hoods on both... CPU so that there would be no need to access non-cpu data would be nice too... If they would then add some more new AI-S with CPU... 24mm f2, 28mm f1.8 & 35mm f1.7... that would be a dream..!

If if, if only if !!!!

As for the zoom... I wouldn't care much! ...Sold it 6 months ago and never looked back!

We don't care that you don't care!!!

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
scrane
scrane Senior Member • Posts: 1,669

If they're going to redesign the 20/2.8 they could make it reasonably sharp and do something with the horrible distortion and vignetting.

scrane's gear list:scrane's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Canon EOS 5D Nikon D810 Sony Alpha a7R II Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 +6 more
GMack Senior Member • Posts: 2,928
My answer for flare.

I did the "hat shade trick" for a while until I began to get it in the shot doing HDR.  Above works better as I can see it in the viewfinder when setting up and doesn't move into the scene like my hat did.

Mack

Reilly Diefenbach
Re: My answer for flare.

I need one of those!

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
inasir1971
inasir1971 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,623

Theodoros Fotometria wrote:

john barlow wrote:

I have been selected by NPS to give my views on the 14-24. Apparently by random selection.

Improve the T stop

Improve the flare

My recommendation to them would be to redesign the 14mm f2.8 and 20mm f2.8 in MF editions with real DOF scales on them and infinity lock, apply nano to reduce flare further (it's miles better that the stupid zoom anyway) and redesign the hoods on both... CPU so that there would be no need to access non-cpu data would be nice too... If they would then add some more new AI-S with CPU... 24mm f2, 28mm f1.8 & 35mm f1.7... that would be a dream..! As for the zoom... I wouldn't care much! ...Sold it 6 months ago and never looked back!

Theodoros

That sounds like the Zeiss zf2 line: 15/2.8; 21/2.8; 25/2; 28/2; 35/1.4 or 35/2 - all MF, all with CPU and hard infinity stops and DOF markings.

What was the last MF lens Nikon released - the PC-E 85?

Just get the Zeiss - they already produce exactly what you want.

inasir1971's gear list:inasir1971's gear list
Sony RX1R II Nikon D4 Nikon D850
HSway
HSway Veteran Member • Posts: 3,155

GMack wrote:

I did the "hat shade trick" for a while until I began to get it in the shot doing HDR. Above works better as I can see it in the viewfinder when setting up and doesn't move into the scene like my hat did.

Mack

I have difficulty to recall when I really got into trouble because of flare and glare. I fact I can’t remember but a case some three years ago in New Forest with Tokina 11-16 at that time, grad filter made it worse but just the position and angle was tricky. And if there is someone more different from "golden hour shooters" it’s me because I can and do shoot literally any time any light and position. Shooting handheld can no doubt be quite different.

I cast a bit of shadow with tips of my fingers or hand so that no light gets into front of the lens area each time direct light of a strong source touches it. I do and did it with all my lenses as the glare is pretty unpredictable and will escape one’s attention in the field. I reckon it’s some 25-30% of shooting. I shield it with my hand while standing by the camera with the remote in other hand. So it requires one hand free but that’s what I've got most of the time. it gives me mostly no trouble, no hand getting into the frame or a problem to see the effect in the viewfinder but in some very very rare cases when it is all about one mil movement I can get a help from my wife (ok now I see another case from half a year ago). I guess a wife on a shoot can be a bit of a complication for many though as they are relatively heavy to lug around and have a free will on the top of that;-) - same from a photographer woman's perspective I think.

For shooting hand held the flare/glare prone lens poses always problems to me. Matter of a lens design, ever present compromises and growing requirements for a lens. So please work hard Nikon.

-- hide signature --
Zerblatt
Zerblatt Forum Member • Posts: 67

I did the same with 24-70/2,8

Zerblatt
Zerblatt Forum Member • Posts: 67

I meant , was selected by NPS to give my views on the 24-70/2,8

Skroob Regular Member • Posts: 268

john barlow wrote:

Improve the T stop

Improve the flare

Flare is the main issue for me, when i do run into it. Even if it is something as simple as an add-on hood extender, i think that is all that is needed for this otherwise stellar lens.

Skroob's gear list:Skroob's gear list
Sigma 20mm F1.8 EX DG Aspherical RF
Reilly Diefenbach

Well no. If you want to shoot with the sun in the actual frame with any of the bulbous WA jobs, you're bascially screwed.  The 10-24 does it with no problem at all while maintaining excellent contrast.  Pretty annoying that FX has no answer for this.

Mont Cascade

Nikon D500 Nikon D850

Skroob wrote:

Flare is the main issue for me, when i do run into it. Even if it is something as simple as an add-on hood extender, i think that is all that is needed for this otherwise stellar lens.

I sold the bloody thing because of its flare, ergonomics is awful too... Got the 14mm f2.8 instead.., much better with flare, ergonomics is miles ahead, MF and build Q from another world (the dumping of MF ring is better than an MF lens), and ...a unique UWA effect that no other WA shares... Great performance across the whole frame after f5.6 too... less sharp at borders and corners at F2.8 and f4... but who cares? ...A much better overall lens!

This is my second 14mm f2.8, I replaced the first one with the zoom... most stupid thing I ever did!! Now, my WA line is AI-s 16mm f2.8 f/e, 14mm f2.8D, 24mm f2.8 AI-S, 28mm f2.8 AI-s, 35mm f2.8 AI-s P/C and 17-35 f2.8....

Theodoros

That sounds like the Zeiss zf2 line: 15/2.8; 21/2.8; 25/2; 28/2; 35/1.4 or 35/2 - all MF, all with CPU and hard infinity stops and DOF markings.

What was the last MF lens Nikon released - the PC-E 85?

Just get the Zeiss - they already produce exactly what you want.

True... if you give me the cash... Great flare resistance too...

Theodoros

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Well no. If you want to shoot with the sun in the actual frame with any of the bulbous WA jobs, you're bascially screwed. The 10-24 does it with no problem at all while maintaining excellent contrast. Pretty annoying that FX has no answer for this.

The 12-24 is even better... especially in FX and can be great at D800's 1.2x crop from 14mm (16.8mm FF equivalent). The best anti-flare lens in the world! (little difference in flare than this one though).

Theodoros

PHXAZCRAIG
PHXAZCRAIG Forum Pro • Posts: 13,944

john barlow wrote:

Hmm - it's pretty wide on FX already.   I'd hate to see optical compromises made to increase the range.

Improve the T stop

Doesn't bother me at all.   I would think this is a minor issue, unless perhaps for video?

Improve the flare

Major issue there, at least for me.     Not sure what could be done.   It seems mostly prevalent at the wider end, which perhaps just means the hood is actually doing some good on the long end.

Sounds like an entire system would need to be developed around that idea.   Both in-camera (for jpgs, tif, or perhaps even video), and some new version of Capture NX2.

I'd like to see some sort of better lens cap.   One that a) doesn't just fall off when you pull the lens out of a camera bag, and b) one that is somehow flat enough to fit in a large pocket.   The lens is hard enough to pack.   That lens cap just adds to the misery.

-- hide signature --

Craig
www.cjcphoto.net

PHXAZCRAIG's gear list:PHXAZCRAIG's gear list
Nikon D80 Nikon D200 Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon 1 V1 +37 more
Reilly Diefenbach

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Well no. If you want to shoot with the sun in the actual frame with any of the bulbous WA jobs, you're bascially screwed. The 10-24 does it with no problem at all while maintaining excellent contrast. Pretty annoying that FX has no answer for this.

The 12-24 is even better... especially in FX and can be great at D800's 1.2x crop from 14mm (16.8mm FF equivalent). The best anti-flare lens in the world! (little difference in flare than this one though).

Theodoros

The 12-24 is an older design and is definitely more prone to flare (arcs and overall veiling) and has much worse corners than the 10-24 at the sweet spot, f5.6.  It's probably about number five for corner sharpness after the Sigmas, the Tokina 11-16 and the Nikon 10-24. I do require pretty sharp corners.

The 10-24 is also good and sharp at 17mm in 1.2 crop, as you said. I'm tempted to get another copy and slap it on a D3200 for those times when the 14-24 craps out on the 800e :^)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Flare.aspx?Lens=658&Camera=614&FLI=0&API=2&LensComp=659&CameraComp=614&FLIComp=0&APIComp=1

Nikon D500 Nikon D850

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

Reilly Diefenbach wrote:

The 12-24 is even better... especially in FX and can be great at D800's 1.2x crop from 14mm (16.8mm FF equivalent). The best anti-flare lens in the world! (little difference in flare than this one though).

Theodoros

The 12-24 is an older design and is definitely more prone to flare (arcs and overall veiling) and has much worse corners than the 10-24 at the sweet spot, f5.6. It's probably about number five for corner sharpness after the Sigmas, the Tokina 11-16 and the Nikon 10-24. I do require pretty sharp corners.

The 10-24 is also good and sharp at 17mm in 1.2 crop, as you said. I'm tempted to get another copy and slap it on a D3200 for those times when the 14-24 craps out on the 800e :^)

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Lens-Flare.aspx?Lens=658&Camera=614&FLI=0&API=2&LensComp=659&CameraComp=614&FLIComp=0&APIComp=1

Well... everybody is entitled for an opinion, even ..."the digital picture", ...I'll stick with mine and my own experience out of the two lenses..., 12-24 is the better lens of the two in ...everything but the price and FL range!

Theodoros

Reilly Diefenbach

Your information is way out of date, and I doubt very much that you actually laid hands on a 10-24 and put it on a D7000, otherwise you'd not be spouting off.  The 10-24 is sharper in the corners, which is what wide angle shooting is all about, and why for FX we pay for the 14-24 instead of the much inferior 14 prime, which is a mess in the corners no matter the f stop.  They are all sharp in the center to mid. As well, the extra 2mm is huge on the short end.

Now back to the original post, if possible :^)

Nikon D500 Nikon D850
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads