RX100 Clear Zoom

Started Nov 29, 2012 | Discussions
idreos Regular Member • Posts: 240
RX100 Clear Zoom

Last Spring there were several discussions about the RX100's  new "clear zoom" technology.

This feature effectively doubled the zoom capabilities of the camera without affecting quality and photos from tests demonstrating this clear zoom capability were pretty impressive.

This extended zoom was described as being accomplished by a  software algorithm and not the common "digital zoom"  available on most digicams.

How good have RX100 owners found this feature?

Any hands on users comments of this feature  would be appreciated!

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rube39 Veteran Member • Posts: 8,242
Re: RX100 Clear Zoom

I used in a lot this summer, and found that it worked quite well. So don't be afraid to try it out.

ChristianHass Senior Member • Posts: 2,939

Basicly I've found it to be digital zoom/in camera cropping. No it's not worse than taking a crop of the full 20mp image, but it's definetely not as good as the full 20mp image.

-- hide signature --

Shooting for fun and memories.

ChristianHass's gear list:ChristianHass's gear list
Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Ricoh GR Sony a6300
BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 3,849

Very useful for JPG shooters who do no post processing.
Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV +5 more
KCN New Member • Posts: 14

I would love to see image comparisons between the RX100 at 200mm with CIZ and the Nikon P7700 at its full optical zoom of 200mm.  Obviously there are a number of other significant differences between the two cameras, but it would be interesting to see how far CIZ (and the additional resolution of the RX100) go in reducing the advantage of the P7700's longer zoom.

Has anyone had both cameras and done such a compariosn.

ronctx
ronctx Regular Member • Posts: 111

Here are a couple of quick examples.  Both have been cropped to get about the same size.  The Optical Zoom is sharper.

Handheld 3.6 Optical Zoom

Handheld 7.2x Digital Zoom

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads