Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions
ToTheEnd Junior Member • Posts: 46
Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

Hello all!

Long time... and lot of news. To make a long story short, I'm tired of Canon after having spent 10 or 15 years with it. Basically, very poor handling of AF with the 5DmII over 4 years and the price hike for the 5DmIII definitely convinced me that this company doesn't deserve any additional money from my side.

I'm turning to the community as, to be perfectly honest, I don't know Nikon. Of course, I read reviews and as Nikon is one of the main competitor of Canon, I believe they make great stuff. As I don't know this brand very well, I want to make sure I'm not forgetting something.

This is my actual Canon material:

Canon SL580EX II Speedlite Flash

Canon Objektiv EF 16-35mm, f/2.8L II USM

Canon Objektiv EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

Canon Extender EF 1.4x II

Canon EOS 5D MKII, 21 Megapixel

Canon Objektiv EF 24-70mm, f/ 2.8 L USM

Canon Objektiv EF 100-400mm, f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Canon RS-80 N3

Canon RC-5

And I want to take this:

NIKON AF-S 14-24mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF-S 50mm F/1.4G

Nikon D800, 36.3 MP Body

NIKON AF-S 24-70mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF VR 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6D ED

NIKON MC-DC2

NIKON ML-L3

I don't need a Nikon Flash as now I have access to pro flashes (and D800 comes with a small flash anyway), don't need an extender and the 50mm 1.4 should be enough vs the Canon 1.2!

Now, is the remote MC-DC2 compatible with the D800? (not clear on the website)

As for lenses... to say the least, I found it very difficult to understand the naming convention of Nikon! Are those lenses OK? Are they equivalent to Canon L serie?

Thanks,

T

ToTheEnd's gear list:ToTheEnd's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D800
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
drh681
drh681 Forum Pro • Posts: 20,742
Re: Changing from Canon to Nikon, am I forgetting something?

Looks good to me. The only piece you'll take a "hit" on is the 5dmk2.

the rest should go at 80-90% of what you paid for them.

-- hide signature --

Photons by the bag.
Gravitons no longer shipped outside US or Canada
-----.....------
You got a camera, now go out and get a life; or at least a picture of one!

drh681's gear list:drh681's gear list
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lensbaby Composer Pro with Sweet 35 Optic Nokia Lumia Icon
mosswings Veteran Member • Posts: 8,954

You should note that the 80-400 is the oldest VR lens in Nikon's lineup, slow focusing, and not the best match to the D800's capabilities. A replacement has been rumored for some time, but no one knows when it will come out. I'd advise holding off on buying a copy until later next year. Nikon's present solution for this range is the 70-200 f2.8 + tc-20 teleconverter. But frankly, if you're trying to extract the very most out of the D800, you should avoid the slow convenience zooms. Read this Nikon Technical Guide first:

http://www.nikonusa.com/en_US/o/Y6wrkA9OU_z04IreazIXl_22UII/PDF/D800_TechnicalGuide_En.pdf

mosswings's gear list:mosswings's gear list
Olympus XZ-1 Olympus Stylus 1 Nikon D90 Nikon D7100 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-105mm F3.5-5.6G ED VR +5 more
Kodachrome200 Contributing Member • Posts: 765

ToTheEnd wrote:

Hello all!

Long time... and lot of news. To make a long story short, I'm tired of Canon after having spent 10 or 15 years with it. Basically, very poor handling of AF with the 5DmII over 4 years and the price hike for the 5DmIII definitely convinced me that this company doesn't deserve any additional money from my side.

I'm turning to the community as, to be perfectly honest, I don't know Nikon. Of course, I read reviews and as Nikon is one of the main competitor of Canon, I believe they make great stuff. As I don't know this brand very well, I want to make sure I'm not forgetting something.

This is my actual Canon material:

Canon SL580EX II Speedlite Flash

Canon Objektiv EF 16-35mm, f/2.8L II USM

Canon Objektiv EF 50mm f/1.2L USM

Canon Extender EF 1.4x II

Canon EOS 5D MKII, 21 Megapixel

Canon Objektiv EF 24-70mm, f/ 2.8 L USM

Canon Objektiv EF 100-400mm, f/4.5-5.6L IS USM

Canon RS-80 N3

Canon RC-5

And I want to take this:

NIKON AF-S 14-24mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF-S 50mm F/1.4G

Nikon D800, 36.3 MP Body

NIKON AF-S 24-70mm F/2.8G ED

NIKON AF VR 80-400mm F/4.5-5.6D ED

NIKON MC-DC2

NIKON ML-L3

I don't need a Nikon Flash as now I have access to pro flashes (and D800 comes with a small flash anyway), don't need an extender and the 50mm 1.4 should be enough vs the Canon 1.2!

Now, is the remote MC-DC2 compatible with the D800? (not clear on the website)

As for lenses... to say the least, I found it very difficult to understand the naming convention of Nikon! Are those lenses OK? Are they equivalent to Canon L serie?

Thanks,

T

Longtime nikon shooter and professional photographer (D800 owner as well)

I have a few suggestions

get the 70-200 vr (fabulous lens) and a nikon 2x teleconverter. more versatile and i cant reccomend the 80-400. there maybe a refresh soon but the 70-200 plus teleconverter method is the way to go imho.

get the 50mm f1.8 g its really just as good as the 50mm f1.4 g. consider the 85mm f1.8g one of the sharpest lenses nikon makes at 500 dollars its sort of a no brainer. and one of the best lenses to photograph portraits with. if you never do portraits dont get it but otherwise must have

get the tamron 24-70 2.8 vc. the image stabilaztion is invalueble and it is near as makes no difference as sharp as the nikkor. bokeh quality falls alittle but use the 85mm f1.8 g for medium telephoto shallow dof shots . itll beat the pants off both and the tamron will save you enough money to get it

your going to freaking love that 14-24 i cant even tell you how much. so good you can hardly believe its as good as it is

Kodachrome200's gear list:Kodachrome200's gear list
Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more
hotdog321
hotdog321 Forum Pro • Posts: 19,537

I'm a 30-year pro Canon shooter and I, too, am seriously honked off at Canon for the same reasons. I'm still going to stick with my 5DII cameras because of my exotic glass, but I agree that Nikon appears to have surpassed Canon. Weird, because Canon just about buried Nikon with their original 1D cameras years ago. Plus Canon's exorbitant price hikes for marginal improvements REALLY annoys me--just venting.

Might try cross-posting your query over in the Nikon forum area for more advice.

hotdog321's gear list:hotdog321's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM +3 more
OP ToTheEnd Junior Member • Posts: 46

Thanks a lot, that's exactly the kind of advice I was looking for... I'll take it off the list and evaluate what the other users suggested.

T

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +1 more

I realize the big hit will be on the 5D but I'm not so optimistic about the lenses as I checked a bit ebay like sites (I'm living in Switzerland) and I should be around 60% to 70%... but I'm so fed-up with Canon that I could live even with a wider loss.

Thanks anyway for your input.

T

Tony Sx Senior Member • Posts: 2,157
As an uninterested observer.....

You're p*ssed off with Canon. Fair enough. You think Nikon is the answer. Fair enough. But what makes you think that in another couple of years you won't be p*ssed off with Nikon?

Why not consider getting p*ssed off with Pentax or Sony or any other manufacturer? And please don't make some asinine comment such as "It's either Canon or Nikon".

-- hide signature --

Banned in the News Forum.

Re: As an uninterested observer.....

it is. he is totally right. Sony makes SLT 's not SLRs and EVFs just arent that good yet. also lens slection sucks. pentax is barely hanging on. they dont even make a full frame camera what the OP wants

Ricoh GR Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM +3 more

get the 70-200 vr (fabulous lens) and a nikon 2x teleconverter. more versatile and i cant reccomend the 80-400. there maybe a refresh soon but the 70-200 plus teleconverter method is the way to go imho.

I'll need to try that because it is the reason why I tool a 1.4x converter that I almost never used (compatibility issues with 5D!). With this lens I do a lot of sport and car shooting so it is crucial to have something that work nicely and with good output.

get the 50mm f1.8 g its really just as good as the 50mm f1.4 g. consider the 85mm f1.8g one of the sharpest lenses nikon makes at 500 dollars its sort of a no brainer. and one of the best lenses to photograph portraits with. if you never do portraits dont get it but otherwise must have

Price difference is ok between 1.4 and 1.8 and might prefer to have this extra aperture... and I don't do much portrait so I'll stick with that.

get the tamron 24-70 2.8 vc. the image stabilaztion is invalueble and it is near as makes no difference as sharp as the nikkor. bokeh quality falls alittle but use the 85mm f1.8 g for medium telephoto shallow dof shots . itll beat the pants off both and the tamron will save you enough money to get it

Here price difference could make a difference but I never had a lens from external makers. I should try once...

your going to freaking love that 14-24 i cant even tell you how much. so good you can hardly believe its as good as it is

I did hesitate a lot with the 17-35 but at the end, I preferred the extra wideness that extra zoom... coming from a 16-35, I'll see if it makes a big difference.

Thanks a lot for all the input!

T

BrettSD Regular Member • Posts: 187

Maybe it's not really time to change.  Prices for the 5dmiii are falling fast and the new 6d looks promising.

-- hide signature --

www.headshotsnyc.com
www.gothamfamilyphotos.com
www.nyweddingphotos.com

BrettSD's gear list:BrettSD's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Good point. I chose Nikon because fundamentally, cameras are one of their core Business (64% of revenues comes out of Imaging Products). Sony, Penthax and the others, I'm not even going to lose time looking at what this sector means from a revenue perspective out of their global operations. With the growth of amateur/professional photography with smartphones, Sony's president (or whatever) will wakeup one morning and say: it is enough, let's sale this stuff or worse, let's close it... and please, tell Maggie (Head of Marketing) to post an excuse letter to all our highly respected customers that we are sorry.

Of course, maybe Nikon will do the same one day... but to me, that day seems farther at Nikon than at Sony or whoever.

T

-- hide signature --

Sure but as the D800 is almost 20% cheaper, I'm not whiling to wait much longer as all my shootings result in a good 30% to 40% of blurry pictures. VERY frustrating and driving me mad after each shooting whatever I try.

T

-- hide signature --

Might try cross-posting your query over in the Nikon forum area for more advice.

Thanks!

T

-- hide signature --
jonrobertp Forum Pro • Posts: 12,875
OP--yes, the Nikon flash system is ...

..is not up to par at all.  Dislike it a lot.  Did your switch 2 yrs ago.   Nikon does NOT allow you to configure your flash comp. in S or P or A mode.  The body overrides your input.  Canon...we can adjust each independently.

Can't understand why Nikon can't ...or won't change that.

jonrobertp's gear list:jonrobertp's gear list
Canon PowerShot G7 X Canon G3 X Panasonic ZS100
Tony Sx Senior Member • Posts: 2,157

Kodachrome200 wrote:

it is. he is totally right. Sony makes SLT 's not SLRs and EVFs just arent that good yet. also lens slection sucks. pentax is barely hanging on. they dont even make a full frame camera what the OP wants

They also make A900s - ooh - with an OVF. And the lenses that fit a Sony are as good as, if not better than the lenses that fit a CanoNikon. So don't play the knowitall, just accept another point of view without making mistakes.

-- hide signature --

Banned in the News Forum.

Re: OP--yes, the Nikon flash system is ...

Could you please be more specific on that as I do studio shoots from time to time (with Elinchrom stuff)?

On the Canon, I generally select Tv mode and stay in the 1/60 to 1/80 area... what is the issue with the Nikon?

Thanks,

T

-- hide signature --
onlooker Veteran Member • Posts: 4,001

Tony Sx wrote:

They also make A900s - ooh - with an OVF.

No, they don't.

Tony Sx wrote:

Kodachrome200 wrote:

They also make A900s - ooh - with an OVF. And the lenses that fit a Sony are as good as, if not better than the lenses that fit a CanoNikon. So don't play the knowitall, just accept another point of view without making mistakes.

the point about the lenses just isnt true. sony does not make many slr lenses. its a really sad state of affairs. why would the oringal poster wnat an out of production camera as opposed to a model that just came out. sony does not seem likely to make any dslrs in the future.

Re: OP--yes, the Nikon flash system is ...

how are you shooting studio lights in shutter priority?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads