I'm a believer, 6400 ISO C3/Zeiss 24mm

Started Nov 28, 2012 | Discussions
sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,248
Re: If you can eliminate motion, hand holding at 1/30 of a sec, your better than most pros.

Jerry R wrote:

If you can eliminate motion, hand holding at 1/30 of a sec, your better than most pros. Back in the 1970s an article compared images taken by a very respected wildlife photographer. He took hand held pics at 1/1000 of a sec and the same pics with a camera on a tripod. The hand held pics, when viewed with a loop, would not be acceptable for publication. I usually found, in the good old film days, that a speed of 1/focal length was good enough. With the ability to crop digital images from 16 meg to 1 meg (for viewing on a screen, not prints) a much faster shutter speed is required. 1/24 sec would not produce clear 1 meg crops.

I honestly don't think I have super steady hands, but I shot this at 1/6 of a second and it was handheld without bracing my arms on anything. I do think I lost some sharpness, but I would take this sharpness over higher noise any day. I can get pretty reliable results from 1/15 and up with the 24mm lens and about 1/20 with my 35. The SEL 50 with OSS can do 1/15 as well.

Light from his laptop

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
OP Jerry R Forum Pro • Posts: 10,049
Yes, it can be done, but I prefer higher shutter speeds.
-- hide signature --

Canon A2E, Sony R1, Panny TZ5, Nikon D5000, & NEX C3/Zeiss 24mm E Lens

Re: Sean, nice image; however, a 1 meg crop would not be sharp.
-- hide signature --

makeitso Regular Member • Posts: 150

It appears to be a difference in mentality.  Most here will prefer 3 stops lower noise levels over higher sharpness with 3 stops more noise once past ISO1600.  Below that I'd agree with your methods but past ISO1600 give me lower noise over pixel level sharpness any day as you lose detail anyway at those ISO levels which is seen by both your crops.

Makeitso, its a tradeoff either way. I have to decide which is preferable (for me). Thanks
-- hide signature --

twald Contributing Member • Posts: 502
Re: The ISO was set to 6400. Two reasons:

chromnd wrote:

uhligfd wrote:

If you experience repeated motion blur at 1/200 sec at 24mm focal length, may I suggest you lay off the coffee or whatever makes you shake so much. Maybe learn to hold a camera steady with elbow bracing, ... Eventually one should be able to hold that lens steady at around 1/60 to 1/100 sec at the worst and down to to 1/30 or 1/15 sec at the best of one's physical conditioning.

And if this is due a medical condition, I apologize for bringing it up. Sorry.

As uhligfd already said, I also wonder how on earth you can have motion blur with 1/200 and 24mm.

But what's another aspect of this test: You have not really a lighting condition that requires ISO6400. If you come in a situation where you'll need ISO 6400 with 24mm and maybe a shutter speed of 1/40s @ f.18, you'll notice much more noise as the noise gets worse in the dark.

So for a better noise test, just go out at night, put your camera to ISO 6400 and try to capture some static night scene, that has just enough light for <1/60s at 24mm and f1.8.

Noise does get worse in the dark but remember that a high shutter speed simulates dark. Your logic does not work.

A scene exposed for 1/30s will project the same amount of light on the sensor and produce the same results as the same scene with 3 stops more light exposed for 1/240s.

The reason why such a thing as "bad light" is percieved to a more stringent test of the ISO performance of a sensor is because dark scenes are often underexposed and much higher contrast (from streetlamps and such) than daylit scenes. In such a scene, you are testing the dynamic range of the sensor rather than just the noise. All else being equal, higher shutter speeds do accurately simulate a dark scene.

sean lancaster
sean lancaster Veteran Member • Posts: 7,248

makeitso wrote:

It appears to be a difference in mentality. Most here will prefer 3 stops lower noise levels over higher sharpness with 3 stops more noise once past ISO1600. Below that I'd agree with your methods but past ISO1600 give me lower noise over pixel level sharpness any day as you lose detail anyway at those ISO levels which is seen by both your crops.

I have drawn the line at ISO 800, but it also depends on the scene. If I am shooting a person and they're filling much of the frame then I can go higher than if they're just a part of the scene as I lose the details more quickly that way. But my image was very slow. 1/60 and I am pretty confident in 100% crop sharpness much of the time on largely static subjects.

sean lancaster's gear list:sean lancaster's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-5N Sony Alpha a7R II Voigtlander 35mm F1.2 Nokton Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 28mm F2 +4 more
chromnd Regular Member • Posts: 421
Re: The ISO was set to 6400. Two reasons:

yes, you're right. I was more thinking of very dark areas, that will show more noise then light areas. The picture given has a decent amount of bright areas, so noise will not be so visible as a darker environment would show.

chromnd's gear list:chromnd's gear list
Sony Alpha NEX-6 Sony DT 35mm F1.8 SAM Sony E 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Samyang 85mm F1.4 Aspherical IF Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA +6 more
davect01
davect01 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,821
Re: I'm a believer, 6400 ISO C3/Zeiss 24mm

DtEW wrote:

1/200s? 1/500s??

Why???

You can probably shoot all of these at ISO1600, maybe even ISO800.

I would agree.  While it is nice that we can get descent shots that high, I don't think this situation required ISO's this high.

-- hide signature --

Novice photobug, proud NEX-3 owner
http://davesnex-3photos.blogspot.com/

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads